Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 09-28-2008, 7:11 PM

Default Cheek rest and detachable mag for Rem. 700 PSS

Hey guys. So I've been going over my notes from the BRM-1 class that Tony and Mark hosted a few weeks ago. I learned a lot in the class. Not only about my shooting, but also about my gear.

Two things I learned are that I need a good cheek rest, and that I should probably upgrade to a detachable magazine. So I wanted some of your opinions on this.

First of, I have a 700 PSS chambered in .308. This has the H-S Precision stock. I've been looking at the Karsten adjustable cheek rest.
http://usarmorment.com/kydex-adjusta...l?currency=USD

Do any of you have any experience with this cheek rest? In particular, how is the installation? My main hesitation is the fact I would have to drill through the stock. I don't really know if I want to be doing that. If not this, what other good cheek rests would you recommend?

My other question is about the detachable box mag. At the moment I'm using the internal 4 round magazine. It is kind of inconvenient. I've been looking at two detachable mags that might work. One by H-S Precision, the other by Badger Ordance.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=132600
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=440944

What has been your experience with either of these? If you use something else, what do you use, and what do you like about it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2008, 7:19 PM
Calguns Addict

HS system is harder to get extra mags for and not as reliable (Randall will try to tell you otherwise). It does not, however, require inletting your HS stock. The badger will. But it is the better system. More robust mags, better feeding, etc. Everybody and their brother uses it, including Marines.

For the cheekrest, just get an Eagle stock pack and put some foam under it until it feels good. Far more versatile than a cheekpiece and no permanent mods done to the rifle.
Old 09-28-2008, 7:25 PM

I cant help you much with the cheekpiece. I have heard good things about the cheekpiece though. As far as drilling through the stock it is not too difficult. I would suggest though, it you are going to be doing a cheekpiece and the bottom metal then do them at the same time. Doing everything on the mill would be ideal. I believe with either bottom metal, the HS or Badger, you will need to do stock inletting which can only be done properly on a mill. You would also probably want to pillar bed the stock and bottom metal at that time. The HS bottom metal has somewhat of a bad reputation but i havent seen one cause issues in person ever. The badger metal is very nice. That is what i have on my gun and i like it alot. HS mags are more expensive than badger mags. Also, if you get badger mags, spend the extra 10 bucks and get the genuine AI mags because i have had issues with the ACCURATE brand. Hopefully i covered most of your questions.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

The Karsten cheekpiece works well and is pretty easy to install. Since you're in Glendale, let me know if you want to check it out and we can set something up.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Didn't Tony have that cheek rest? It seemed like his only complaint was that the adjusting screws eventually failed for him, so he had to permanently attach it.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurin View Post
If not this, what other good cheek rests would you recommend?
I use the Eagle cheek rest. If you need to bring it up I'd just use some foam/rubber padding or cheeze pads to bring it up.

http://triadtactical.com/?mainURL=%2...tem_id%3D2jr8b

Quote:
One by H-S Precision, the other by Badger Ordance.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=132600
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=440944

What has been your experience with either of these? If you use something else, what do you use, and what do you like about it?
I use the Badger. I think it is an OK system and offers 10 round mags. I believe the Badger is currently the "dominant" detachable magazine system for the 700. There is an aftermarket mag made for it (a sign of its popularity).

The HS Precision... I've heard bad and good on it. Spaniard has one. I think it may be somewhat faster than the Badger... as long as it works.

There is also the Seekins. The Seekins is relatively new. It has a push button mag-release which is probably a little faster than the Badger's AK style. 10 rd mags aren't yet available. It sounds like it is easier to install than the Badger bottom metal. The post says the mags aren't made to be disassembled and can be cleaned out with water or air... I'm not sure that's a positive in my book.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...=503380&page=1

If you want to play it safe... I'd get the Badger.
Old 09-29-2008, 4:40 AM

Ford says they make better trucks (I think they do owning 2) Chevy says theirs are for rough duty. And Dodge Trucks are RAM Tough.

Forums are primarily driven by opinions, it's their fuel, a cyberspace bar if you will.

So my opinion is HS Bottem Metal works fine having owned them, installed them and recommended them. I like the HS system because for one the mags are smaller then the other systems and that's nice to me anyways.

The downside, the mag release is small which was designed that way for LE so they don't accidentally drop a mag by hitting the mag release, but I have no problem getting them out. The mags cost more and have been hard to get at times. Call them up and see if they are in stock.

The others systems are nice, the mags are bigger and do cost less, however in the past I have had a hard time getting them too, 10 rounders mostly.

I got a SEEKINS Gift Cert at Nor-Cal and plan ot get one of Glen's to try it out, I hear they are nice.

Cheekpiece? I use McMillan Stocks with adjustable cheek pieces, however for HS's you can get different adjustables. You just need to get something that will push your head up (comfortably) to get your eyes aligned with your scope.

If you want to go on the cheap, get yourself some padding until you decide what you want to do. However that Kydex cheek rest you linked looks choice to me, I would get that. I would probably piller the stock myself, but it looks nices and price friendly too.

BRM-2 is coming up, the cheek piece I would get, you can get by with out the mag set up though.

Mark
Old 09-29-2008, 8:38 AM

I've seen a number of guys that have Karsten's cheek rest and they all love it. Get that and a bit of moleskin on it and you'll be good to go.
Old 09-29-2008, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadesigns View Post
I've seen a number of guys that have Karsten's cheek rest and they all love it. Get that and a bit of moleskin on it and you'll be good to go.
I didn't think of the moleskin. Not very tactical.. but excellent idea!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I made my own cheekrest.
It's quite simple really.
Get a piece of Kydex.
Heat it up with a heat gun.
Fold it over the top of the stock including some spacer on top to set the rough height.
Then I made two pillars that match the width of the stock and bedded them into holes I drilled through the stock.
The final steps are to set the cheekpiece back on the stock, determine final adjustment and drill holes in it so that it's where you want it.

My cheekpiece is rock solid.
I also like that it's NOT adjustable, but it's exactly where I want it.
Anything adjustable is something that can come loose when you least desire.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 AM

Oh, and if you go with a fixed cheek piece, make sure you install it far enough back so that you can pull your bolt out still. It would suck to drill holes in your stock then realize that its not going to work.

PS: Randy, did you ever build your .243?
Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
HS system is harder to get extra mags for and not as reliable (Randall will try to tell you otherwise). It does not, however, require inletting your HS stock. The badger will. But it is the better system. More robust mags, better feeding, etc. Everybody and their brother uses it, including Marines.

For the cheekrest, just get an Eagle stock pack and put some foam under it until it feels good. Far more versatile than a cheekpiece and no permanent mods done to the rifle.
+1

Badger is the only way to go. HS 10 round mags are 110.00 to 120.00 per and a pain to find. Their 4 round mag is useless, might as well just use a BDL.

AICS mags are plentiful and easy to get. Accurate also makes a clone of the AI mags as well. A majority of shooters use these magazines so if you happen to forget yours at a match you won't be screwed.

The release on the Badger is also a lil more robust and easy to operate with gloves or in cold weather when your hands are cold.

As for the cheek piece...go with an eagle stock pack and be done with it. Anything that is able to move will move when you dont want it to move. All my rigs wear an eagle stock pack and I have never had a problem. During the hot summer months where you are on your rig for a longer period of time with a sweaty face your cheek weld wont slip around.

The lil pocket fits tools, dope cards, or a 5 round AICS magazine. Then you have another 5 rounds on the outside for emergency reloads.

Wear one out..cost you another 30.00.

Please visit us @ www.ncpprc.com for more info.
Old 09-30-2008, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Go with the Badger DBM system. It is rock solid and reliable.

I've had issues with the HS Precision magazines (Long Action). The magazine would fall out of the rifle when I shot it (300WM). It turned out that the spring holding the magazine in place wasn't strong enough (there is VERY LITTLE holding the HS magazine in place).

HS Precision became aware of this problem and installed a stronger spring for all new and previously purchased systems. I still couldn't quite trust it afterwards.

I've got that rifle sitting in an AICS 2.0 now and love it.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74HgbjSCLM