Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 11-03-2017, 1:19 AM
Veteran Member

Default Knife prices ~

Anyone else choke a little on knife prices these days?!?! Like anything, we all have our price point & limits.... & I know I'm cheap, but damn blades are getting more & more expensive!!!! I know quality costs (and experience ain't cheap) it just seems like in the past few years blades have skyrocketed.

In general, what's your knife price cut off point? I say general because we all splurge for something special.....

Myself, it's hard to justify north of $100 for steel ~
Old 11-03-2017, 1:33 AM

$50.
My 2 Benchmades were gifts from the wife.
I stopped buying knives shortly afterwards, quality just doesn't compare.
Old 11-03-2017, 2:36 AM
Veteran Member

Benchmade makes good stuff! I just posted Busse's latest the other day, and while I'd love to try some INFI, I just can't justify the coin.....
Old 11-03-2017, 5:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Default We live in California

Everything is more expensive than it should be.
Old 11-15-2017, 3:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutcliffe View Post
Everything is more expensive than it should be.
Man..... Got that right!!!
Old 11-18-2017, 5:16 PM

I'm too d@mn cheap to buy most knives made in the USA - they are just too outrageously priced. I've been driven to buying Chinese knives from Gearbest, Fasttech & SMKW. I have been completely bowled-over by the value of the knives from Ganzo, Sanrenmu & Rough Rider. I'll also buy small pocket knives from Buck & Case, but only when they are on close-out sales.

I say thank God for government waste. If government is doing bad things, it's only the waste that prevents the harm from being greater.
-Milton Friedman

What kind of government do you guys got here? This is worse than California.
-Woody Allen, Sleepers
Old 12-07-2017, 8:50 AM

I used to think that too, until I started getting into them. These days I'll be lucky to spend less than $200 on a blade. I paid $300 for one and ended up getting 2 $300 blades in a trade. It's not much different than guns. You have the Glocks and than the Wilson Combat 1911's. It's all dependent on budget and taste. They both poke holes in things. Knives it comes down to steel quality, blade design, and if people are willing to pay. A $100 knife is going to cut things like a $300 knife does, but you may have to sharpen the $100 knife more often. Also, if you stress test certain blades the $100 Knives may break, where the $300 Knives may not. Granted most of us are not going to cut nails or stab concrete blocks, but if it's your only tool in the woods, and you need a survival tool. I want the best available. Crap, I think I have at least 40 blades I spent north of $200 on.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertac916 View Post
I used to think that too, until I started getting into them. These days I'll be lucky to spend less than $200 on a blade. I paid $300 for one and ended up getting 2 $300 blades in a trade. It's not much different than guns. You have the Glocks and than the Wilson Combat 1911's. It's all dependent on budget and taste. They both poke holes in things. Knives it comes down to steel quality, blade design, and if people are willing to pay. A $100 knife is going to cut things like a $300 knife does, but you may have to sharpen the $100 knife more often. Also, if you stress test certain blades the $100 Knives may break, where the $300 Knives may not. Granted most of us are not going to cut nails or stab concrete blocks, but if it's your only tool in the woods, and you need a survival tool. I want the best available. Crap, I think I have at least 40 blades I spent north of $200 on.
I dig it! But knife prices in general have seemed to skyrocket over the last few years. While I super covet Busse blades, his prices have jumped a few $100 dollars in the past 5 years or so. And it seems others have followed suit. Just a poor mans observation......
I buy the best blades I can afford ~ Swamp Rat, Esee & discontinued full tang Kabars.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Stay away from hyper popular styles and makers.

If you can only afford a Toyota why complain that Ferrari’s are so expensive?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:39 AM

What better time to increase prices than when the knives will be given as gifts ?
Old 12-09-2017, 3:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

nothing is more expensive...your dollar is just worth less.
But I agree. I used to buy nicer knives without much pause. Nowadays I think hmmm...I could buy a couple thousand rounds of ammo, or an entire gun for the same money as the knives I want to purchase.
Old 12-09-2017, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveljay View Post
nothing is more expensive...your dollar is just worth less.
Then there's that ~
Old 12-09-2017, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

$50-70 I don't buy show knifes, just one's that work good & not scared to loose.

I'd still be sad though if lost any of them.
Old 12-09-2017, 6:34 PM

My edc is a Benchmade with carbon fiber handles. Retails at $315 but my local shop gives 35% off retail.

Great quality and the best warranty in the business. You get what you pay for.

Benchmade isn't cheap but it will last a lifetime and if you do break it, they will fix it. I bought a Benchmade off a coworker for $20 that had a broken tip. I sent it to Benchmade and they replaced the blade with the style of my choice for free.
Old 12-09-2017, 6:44 PM
🇺🇸 Trust Me, I'm Gov't
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code 798

I picked up my most recent benchmade from brownells using one of their recent 10% off + free ship deals. This, coupled with my discount account and active junky, I got for just about $100.

Using the same method, one could get a Griptillian mini for close to $60ish.

YMMV

-------
Old 12-11-2017, 9:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yeah prices are pretty high. I don't buy anymore unless it is really a great deal or something special. I'm tempted by great designs that are discontinued with huge discounts. A ZT 0909 for $135 shipped would be something I'd jump on if I didn't have one. Lots of Spydercos get discontinued and blown out.

With custom stuff it is nice to see a maker that deserves recognition enjoy a meteoric explosion of sales and jacks prices up, but when it prices me out of the market it sucks, hahah.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The only knife store nearest me charges retail or above. I use it as a showroom and then I order online.
Old 12-13-2017, 2:44 PM

i bought 11 knives ranging from $14-250 within the past 2 months. I got into this a little late in the game but there are so much advances in metal that i think it justifies the price. I would say that $250 is my limit on what i would spend.
Old 12-13-2017, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertac916 View Post
Also, if you stress test certain blades the $100 Knives may break, where the $300 Knives may not. Granted most of us are not going to cut nails or stab concrete blocks, but if it's your only tool in the woods, and you need a survival tool. I want the best available. Crap, I think I have at least 40 blades I spent north of $200 on.
Yeah, but people that buy $300 dollar knives often end up carrying some $20 dollar knife to do any real work.

"Ooh, something in a box I get to use my knife! Should I use my Sebenza that is built to withstand a nuclear holocaust without a scratch? Noooooo, I don't want to get tape on it and cardboard is SOOO abrasive. I'll use the $12.00 Coast knife I picked up on my way out the door at Home Depot that I carry in case I need to do any 'rough' work that I wouldn't want to subject the Sebenza to."
Old 12-13-2017, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Yeah, but people that buy $300 dollar knives often end up carrying some $20 dollar knife to do any real work.

"Ooh, something in a box I get to use my knife! Should I use my Sebenza that is built to withstand a nuclear holocaust without a scratch? Noooooo, I don't want to get tape on it and cardboard is SOOO abrasive. I'll use the $12.00 Coast knife I picked up on my way out the door at Home Depot that I carry in case I need to do any 'rough' work that I wouldn't want to subject the Sebenza to."

And I thought I was the only one that does that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2017, 3:48 PM

I have a few $50-100 knives that get used/abused.

But a few years back I got into Custom Folding knives... Bad idea

The most expensive folder I've had (and since sold) $3,750 that was secondary price - it all comes down to materials, craftsmanship, and rarity. I started with CRK, Strider, Hinderer and it snowballed from there into customs.

I do carry my $800+ blades regularly and they get used, but if I'm gonna be putting something through the ringer I'll go with some of my $200+ custom fixed blades

If you wanna see some of these knives you can check out my IG at FuelandF1re

Last edited by Fuel&Fire; 12-13-2017 at 3:54 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
And I thought I was the only one that does that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same thing happens anywhere people turn an everyday object into a hobby.

How many times have you read on this forum that 'I only buy the best so I bought an LWR Armament MDX Baer DD214 in 5.56, the most reliable semi-auto rifle to date (this is what every SOCOM tacticalator uses and is the same type of gun that killed UBL); but I use a Del-Ton as my home defense weapon just in case I ever have to actually use it and it gets taken away'.

And then you have the clueless rich people who asked their personal assistant to find them a hunting knife so they can go hunting with their less wealthy friend, and then show up in camp with a custom Randall with which to field dress deer and eat steaks at night.
Old 12-13-2017, 3:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not a fan of even cutting tape with a flimsy $20 Thermite or similar unless it is the backup to a nice ZT I forgot to pocket. $100-$250 knives DO cut better. But I'm not trying to hack cement blocks up for no good reason with a knife I could sell unabused for $500 if I have good users out the wazoo.

Scrap Yards, Kabars, Becker's, OKC's and Moras love to get tormented.
Old 12-13-2017, 4:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Damn. It's like you're in my brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire View Post
I have a few $50-100 knives that get used/abused.

But a few years back I got into Custom Folding knives... Bad idea

The most expensive folder I've had (and since sold) $3,750 that was secondary price - it all comes down to materials, craftsmanship, and rarity. I started with CRK, Strider, Hinderer and it snowballed from there into customs.
I do carry my $800+ blades regularly and they get used, but if I'm gonna be putting something through the ringer I'll go with some of my $200+ custom fixed blades
If you wanna see some of these knives you can check out my IG at FuelandF1re
$3,750 You are awesome!
Old 12-13-2017, 4:22 PM

I haven't spent more than $200 on a knife. Funny thing is the ones i EDC are in the $20 range.
Old 12-13-2017, 5:21 PM

I can honestly say all my knives get used.at $250 it is not custom or expensive enough to just sit and collect dust. I used my 2 bark river knives to dress 4 game animals this year and my edc is a griptillian. My benchmade bushcrafter was used around camp for batoning and camp preps. But for food preps I use my moras
Old 12-13-2017, 5:24 PM

Btw I just bought a falkniven tk2 for $181 on eBay an hour ago. That is a $300 knife at dlt and knives ship free or any other online retailer.