Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Default Why haven't any state "assault weapons" bans been heard by SCOTUS?

With heller on the books it seems that all handguns are clearly protected by the second amendment. By the same case I personally believe all semi automatic rifles like the most common rife in the US the AR15 are also protected. But multiple states have various forms of "assault weapons" bans. When this seems to clearly be unconstitutional why has the Supreme court refused to hear any of the cases regarding the bans? Specifically are there certain justices who are unwilling to hear the cases? In their refusals do they ever issue statements about why they refuse to hear the case?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:54 AM

This has been debated here.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:12 PM

The short answer is the pro 2a judges aren't sure they have a reliable majority. So they have not taken any cases, remember not taking a case means little for future rulings where bad rulings can be hard to work around.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
This has been debated here.

Anyways-

We don't know for sure. But based on things ex-judges have said, heller+mcdonald transcript, what types of cases have been denied, and the current political climate, the reason an AWB case has not been heard is most likely a combination of politics and Justice Kennedy.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:57 PM

They are waiting for RBG to die in 20 years.
Old 09-11-2019, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

Its actually pretty simple. Assault weapon laws have absolutely zero chance of passing strict scrutiny. Which the SCOTUS, even a liberal SCOTUS, would be forced to apply. So what do they do? Simply dodge the issue and defer to the lower courts to make up their own interpretations (none of which apply strict scrutiny) as they see fit based on their regional jurisdictions. Its really a very simple yet effective strategy.
Old 09-11-2019, 1:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
They are waiting for RBG to die in 20 years.
Here's to hoping that RGB has dirt on the Clintons!
Old 09-11-2019, 1:56 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Politics, not litigation. Moved.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-11-2019, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

There is no way to really know why the Supreme Court doesn’t take a case except the rare times they tell us. Otherwise there can be all sorts of reasons, and ascribing a reason is pure speculation.

The Supreme Court receives something like 10,000 petitions for certiorari in a year and will hear only 70 to 80, or so, cases.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old 09-11-2019, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

If I recall correctly, the last assault weapon ban cert was turned down by SCOTUS with Kennedy The Flipper on the bench. Rumors said Kennedy didn't want any more gun cases after Peruta and McDonald.
Since, Kennedy resignation, Roberts took The Flipper title under the pressure and threats from Democrats.
IMHO, if RBG is replaced by another Constitutionalist, we'll have a chance to get 2A restored and repaired. Before then, I doubt SCOTUS would take such a case
Old 09-11-2019, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

These (that regular joe owns) are not Assault weapons
Old 09-12-2019, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGSX View Post
With heller on the books it seems that all handguns are clearly protected by the second amendment. By the same case I personally believe all semi automatic rifles like the most common rife in the US the AR15 are also protected. But multiple states have various forms of "assault weapons" bans. When this seems to clearly be unconstitutional why has the Supreme court refused to hear any of the cases regarding the bans? Specifically are there certain justices who are unwilling to hear the cases? In their refusals do they ever issue statements about why they refuse to hear the case?
Wisdom from the master. Heed him.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2016/09/t...ond-amendment/
Old 09-12-2019, 7:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The SCOTUS is done with gun cases. Lower court rulings will stand.

Welcome to disfunctional America. Better get used to it.
Old 09-12-2019, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

The same reason we don't call a flower a rose.

The same reason we're not supposed to pass laws to make legal that which is already legal.

The same reason we're not supposed to pass laws to make that which is already illegal illegal.

The same reason we don't call a spade a trowel.

...and on and on.

=8-|
Old 09-12-2019, 9:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

While I would hope "in common use" prevails over prohibitions on "dangerous" weapons I have two concerns. Since Heller addressed self-defense in the home would "in common use" be restricted to that function, rather than firearms possessed and used for a variety of reasons? And how do we define dangerous? Conventional bombs have killed more people than atomic weapons - which is more "dangerous"? Mosquitos kill more people each year than do bears, does that make them more dangerous? Most would have no issue walking through the woods encountering mosquitos, a bear - not so much.

I'd hope the arbitrary nature and contrived definition of "assault weapon" is addressed in any decision.
Old 09-12-2019, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

We need at least one more constitutionalist judge on SCOTUS before even considering bringing up one of these cases. That's why we need Trump re-elected. It's all about his judicial appointments.

Ginsberg is half dead and hanging on as long as she can for the simple reason she's hoping a leftist will win the presidency. If Trump wins re-election, expect her to retire or keel over immediately. Then, after Trump appoints another constitutionalist to SCOTUS, we can begin to address these unconstitutional bans.

But, I'd prefer at least 2 more constitutionalist appointments. That won't likely happen under Trump's watch though.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 09-12-2019 at 9:33 AM..
Old 09-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Code Monkey
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsandrockets View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately, given the major party nominees this election, the prospect of seeing even one such Justice confirmed in the next four years could not be closer to zero.
I guess we'll see if he's correct if NYSRPA comes down the line
Old 09-12-2019, 11:32 AM

I would like to point out that two judges on SCOTUS, many more in the federal circuits, and the national level (executive branch and both legislative houses) political landscape has changed significantly since the author wrote that post, it's dated September 2016. So there's that.

That was when all of the so called "experts" were still saying Clinton by a landslide. I only wish I could be THAT wrong in my analysis and still have a job.

Last edited by SemperInExcretiaSumus; 09-12-2019 at 11:35 AM..