Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-06-2013, 6:50 PM

Default Why are you prepping?

Are you prepping to survive global economic collapse? Are you prepping to head to the hills and survive for a few years on your skills? Are you doing it to survive for 3 days after the big earthquake and FEMA can rescue you? Trying to survive after the next hurricane or tornado hits your area? Are you going to Bug Out?

Let's hear your reason and how your are meeting those goals.

Our preps began with the idea of being able to survive and do for ourselves for the suggested 3 days after a major earthquake. (We are in So. Calif.) Soon the idea of three days was a joke to me and my goal was 3 weeks. The concept of three weeks was covered and now 3 months of food stuffs seems within a close reality.

We are not going to "head to the hills and live off the land." The hills here in So Cal could not support more than a minute number of people for any length of time. We will "Bug In" and with God's grace be able to ride it out until things are stabilized.
Old 01-06-2013, 7:04 PM
In Memoriam

Earthquake, We're in spitting distance of the San Andreas Fault.

If a movement on that fault line interrupts the only road into our rural community. We're in a bad way so we have food, water the ability to make heat and elec and cook. We'll be fat and happy til it all gets sorted out. Being in the rural desert we make sure we have enough to last a long long time.

This end of the world or global collapse who ha I leave to others to prepare for. I'm too old to worry about that stuff.

Last edited by cannon; 01-06-2013 at 7:07 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 8:33 PM
Banned

Due to our location pretty much the only thing that would affect me is an earthquake or possibly a nuke dropped on the Marine Base. Don't need to worry about fire, flood, tornadoes, mud slides or other natural disasters. Although our preparations will cover anything that might come up for several months at least.

We already live far enough "out" that we have no need to "bug-out". So I don't need to worry about being able to move my supplies.
Old 01-06-2013, 8:33 PM
Banned

Due to our location pretty much the only thing that would affect me is an earthquake or possibly a nuke dropped on the Marine Base. Don't need to worry about fire, flood, tornadoes, mud slides or other natural disasters. Although our preparations will cover anything that might come up for several months at least.

We already live far enough "out" that we have no need to "bug-out". So I don't need to worry about being able to move my supplies.
Old 01-06-2013, 9:40 PM

In the most basic terms I can think of...

I refuse to be hungry, thirsty, or uncomfortable (cold/wet) any longer than I really have to be.

I do not want to rely on anyone for my (or my family's) comfort/safety
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 PM

Earthquake. I'm pretty sure we can go two weeks with what I have right now, but just like the OP I'm pushing to be able to go longer without help. Now Im working to have a months worth of supplies.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Warmongering Pacifist
CGN Contributor

Earthquakes for the most part. I've got enough to live comfortably for three weeks or so. Longer if I reduce the ration sizes.

Americans who are not self-reliant and depend on government to take care of them are not Americans. You cannot depend on government and be free.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Earthquakes, all the way down to losing my job. Either way I'm covered with the necessities and thats a lot of stress off my shoulders.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 AM

Terrorist Attacks, Earthquakes, or other natural disasters. I don't have a huge stockpile of food, mostly a bunch of rice and beans and some canned foods, enough for about 3 weeks. I also keep a total of about 6-10 cases of water between my house, fifth wheel, and truck. I have emergency kits in the vehicles with enough for 3 people for 3 days. I'm resourceful enough to be able to come up with any additional food or water I might need if it looks like I won't have enough. Guns and ammo=food- plenty of rabbits and squirrels running around here, and I live next to an avocado grove.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 AM

Any reason really. It started in boyscouts. Then volunteering with red cross and local cert.

The main reason is disaster. However I also "prep" unseen reasons I've been laid off in the past and it sucks when you have a family and try to make ends meet.

There's my reason.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

prepping to me means preparing for the event of a major environmental/external (natural or other) change that may occur with or without notice... that may require planned readiness to withstand and survive it.

my purpose in prepping is simply that should SHTF... my readiness to survive would be equal to the requirements to do so.
Old 01-07-2013, 1:36 AM

Just prepping for whatever's coming.
Old 01-07-2013, 9:37 AM

The main reason I am a prepper is because it drives my inlaws NUTS!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 01-07-2013, 2:59 PM

All viable reasons in my opinion. Stay ready, you don't have to get ready right?
I think here in Cali earthquakes are the biggest threat right now (there are others of course like dirty bombs, etc..) and I have had experience and training in response to these events. The problems that will arise with a major quake is ruptured gas lines and water lines. This means lots of fires and no water for the responders to work with if they could even get to your location with all the roads and freeways torn up. I know at some of the training I went through, the heads of the fire departments talked about using air support to fight the fires in the urban cities due to the above problems. Some people were isolated for weeks after the Northridge quake and the only way we got into help them was via Chinooks from one of the marine bases. I think lots of other problems will happen also such as looting, bands of roaming thugs, etc...it will be absolute chaos for awhile in some areas and may be days, weeks or longer before help arrives. Preppin is the only way to survive and hopefully keep your family safe and well also. I am working on mine little by little as time goes by depending on money of course but I am pretty well prepared just want to have all areas covered. Lots of good info on this site and appreciate all the input everyone contributes.

Last edited by lavey29; 01-07-2013 at 3:02 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 3:16 PM

I'm prepping for when the lights go out I have the means to eat, drink, and live. If this congress and president come for the guns I wont be home for them to take them away.
Old 01-07-2013, 3:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

"Prepper" is the new derogatory slang by the current progressive bourgeois and social elitist out there. They wish to slander anyone doing this as an extremist or paranoid weirdo. It has gotten worse since the Newtown tragedy because the media has called the mother of the shooter a "prepper". Since I do swim among the progressive bourgeois left often - most that are also pretty well to do, I over hear this regurgitated false contempt more often now.

It's weird. But I see that the word is being transformed in media culture as derogatory.

On topic, I reasonable hold supplies mostly for anything - primarily for a natural disaster like an earthquake where water, food, shelter, basic medical, sanitation, security could be hard to obtain for a long period of time.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 01-07-2013, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Already experienced several SHTF. More than half from a different place in a different time. The remaining half here in the US. 2003 and 2007 wildfires, So-Cal blackout of 2011, earthquake, riots, and such is why I prep.
Old 01-07-2013, 4:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

living in this state the only real possibility of things going bad is when "the BIG one" hits. and that is a scientific fact it will happen we just don't know when.

that is the only real reason to prep is for that.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-07-2013, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Earth quake
Old 01-07-2013, 4:56 PM

The San Andreas fault is just a few miles from my house although they say the Hayward fault across the bay is likely to snap sometime in the next 20-30 years. I've got 45 days worth of food puls, firwood, colman fuel, batteries, etc but could stand to store some more water. Of course have guns and a decent stockpile of ammunition for protection
Old 01-07-2013, 6:47 PM

To prep is a part of life for me. Just as a stay abreast of technology to stay employed, put money away for things that may come up, I stock food and water for the same reason. Get medical training in the event it may be needed when no emergency crews are around. Take weapons training to defend my family, friends & neighbors.
Old 01-07-2013, 7:42 PM
Calguns Addict

In my many decades on this planet (here in L.A.), I've seen riots, EQs, fires, dought, lots of rain, etc.
I like to keep enough of the usual stuff around to get thru the few weeks after an "event" until the govt. help arrives---don't want want to be like the Katrina folks holding up their starving, sweaty, thirsy babies to the news choppers screaming about not having any help or food.
Carrying things a bit farther, I plan to have enough on hand to help/trade/share with my local friends---you can't get thru these hard times without help from your local friends and family.
No, I am not planning for the End of the World!
Old 01-07-2013, 7:50 PM

I gotta wife and 2 daughters. After seeing the natural disasters that have occurred around the country, I would like to think that I did what I could to give ourselves the best possible outcome.
Old 01-07-2013, 7:55 PM

all of the above, and like Exachog to drive my mother in law crazy!
Old 01-07-2013, 7:56 PM

all of the above, and like Exachog to drive my mother in law crazy!
Old 01-07-2013, 8:24 PM

Nominally, "the biggun" on the San Andreas/Newport-Inglewood faults combined with a sleazy and inept government response.

Longer term, maybe 20 years out, history is starting to rhyme and it ain't rocket science to figure it out.
Old 01-07-2013, 9:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Boy Scouts taught me to be prepared.

Being stuck in a couple of blizzards in the upper Midwest and the Loma Prieta earthquake here taught me to have supplies.

oh, and the zombie apocalypse, natch.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 01-07-2013, 9:45 PM

To take care of my family in any short or long term situation.
Old 01-07-2013, 9:54 PM

I do it to take care of my family and I want to be more self reliant because things are cheaper that way. Also I want to learn to live off the land.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Earthquake / Civil Unrest.

I worked for the City of Anaheim about 20 years ago. One of the things they had new employees do was a series of lectures/orientations. The head of Risk Management spoke at one time. He made the biggest impression on me. He talked about how we have a major event (earthquake) on average something like every 100 years in SoCal. And it was past due. So it wasn't a matter of if, it was a matter of WHEN.

And of course after the LA riots...I realized that earthquakes wasn't the only thing to be prepping for.

As far as world wide collapse and crazy wars etc....I don't think that, that is something I can really prep for...and considering where I live...no real way to probably get out and no where to go to. So my preps consist of 30 days of food and water for 4, plus arms and ammunition to defend and a decent place to hole up.
Old 01-08-2013, 3:31 PM

Specific scenarios I plan for:
  • House fire
  • Wild fires
  • Earthquake
  • Nuclear emergency (I live less than 25 miles from San Onofre)
  • Flu pandemic
  • Interruption in power and/or water
  • Civil unrest
  • Financial crisis (personal or social)
Some of these are more specific while others could have a number of corresponding causes; I prepare for the effect rather than the cause.

I plan for several things:

Getting home. What problems could I face in getting home, and what can I do now to be prepared in a worst case scenario.

Bugging in. I don't want to be running to the store to buy supplies when everyone else is thinking the same thing. If people will pepper-spray one another over a black Friday sale, imagine what they'll do in a crisis for food, batteries, or a case of water. My preferred response to most scenarios is to lay low until normal life resumes.

Evacuation. This could be as simple as what to grab on my way out in case of fire, but it runs to what destinations I'll aim for, what routes I'll take, what modes of transportation I'll choose, and what to bring with me.

Security. My planning here focuses on avoiding trouble, hiding, and getting away--but being equipped to deter and prepared to defend my family and our ability to survive if that fails.

Community. I am developing relationships now that will enhance my ability to survive in several scenarios. Mutual aid means we can get more rest and can be more efficient in several preparations.

Last edited by Paltik; 01-08-2013 at 3:31 PM.. Reason: completeness
Old 01-09-2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAcHog View Post
The main reason I am a prepper is because it drives my inlaws NUTS!
AS the OP of this thread, I select this ^ as the best answer!
Old 01-09-2013, 8:06 PM

Earthquake!!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 PM

Have you seen how long it takes for our government to come the aid after the hurricanes hit back east and the south. I have friends in New Jersey and they told me that they were out of power for 3 weeks after Hurricane Sandy hit. I understand that it would not be easy for any government to help everyone as quickly as we would want them to so we we need to take actions to prepare ourselves.
The San Andreas Fault moves approx 1 centimeter a year. During the "Big One" I read that geologists expect the fault to move up to 25 feet at one time! If that happens expect our Southern California connection to the rest of the county to stop since the infrastructure will be destroyed. Our local grocery stores will be out of stock within a few hours. We need to have enough food, water, fuel and cash to last at least a month.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM

Earthquake, power outage, landslide isolating our canyon from any road access, etc.

I was kinda excited today when PG&E called to tell me the electricity was out. Looking forward to testing the generator and stuff.
Old 01-14-2013, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

For any number of calamities we may face, i just want the assurance my wife and baby can depend on me to protect them and keep them as comfortable as possible. Ammo and food can only.get you so far. Being able to stay in our own home has the advantages of a safe zone in what could potentially be an unsafe environment. Very good for the psyche.