Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2017, 3:50 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
The only way DOJ is going to know if you 'changed' your gun in any way is if the gun has been seized because it was involved in another crime. And even then like everyone is saying it's not necessarily an issue. No one is going around door to door checking gun configuration against the registry. Who would want to do that? Zero gain for huge risk.
They can't, anyways. That pesky "illegal search and seizure" law that they hate so much.

Quote:
So..just to confirm. The new regs state nothing about RAW storage. I can store my RAWs at home however I like provided they are inaccessible to children right?
Actually, when you are not at home, it must be inaccessible to anyone who it isn't registered to - which includes adults. That's why it's recommended to add your spouse, and any adult children living with you, as joint registrants.

Old 09-06-2017, 4:42 AM

If I register next year I will Joint register. I thought CA was a community property state.

From divorce net.
"California law defines community property as any asset acquired or income earned by a married person while living with a spouse."

Last edited by stevebla; 09-06-2017 at 4:57 AM..
Old 09-06-2017, 7:34 AM

The original registration of assault weapons required one to submit a change of address when you move. I certainly couldn't see them not including that provision in the new regulations. These regulations are an expansion of the original.
Old 09-06-2017, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdutch View Post
The original registration of assault weapons required one to submit a change of address when you move. I certainly couldn't see them not including that provision in the new regulations. These regulations are an expansion of the original.
Citation please

Old 09-06-2017, 7:50 AM

Default Storage of RAW

The original assault weapon registrations included provisions for change of address when you move so they are going to want to know where you move to keep your assault weapon legally registered.
Old 09-06-2017, 7:55 AM

Quote:
The original assault weapon registrations included provisions for change of address when you move so they are going to want to know where you move to keep your assault weapon legally registered.
Can you post the provision? I've seen the form and the regulations from 2000, I don't remember any such thing

Old 09-06-2017, 8:01 AM

Any reports of denied registrations yet? Just curious.
Old 09-06-2017, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Any reports of denied registrations yet? Just curious.
DOJ is still telling people they don't have a system in place yet for processing applications. They've been reviewing the content of people's applications, and requesting additional info and such, but apparently they don't yet have a way to actually approve or disapprove anything yet.

Typical CA agency nonsense - they jumped the gun and launched a system that wasn't ready yet.

Old 09-06-2017, 8:08 AM

Lol and here I am thinking I'm late to the party.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sorry to be confused. I just find conflicting information. I have studied the new Calguns semi auto flow chart and I am still a tad confused. Please tell me if this is correct:

1. Register, and you can keep all the "evil features". But if it the rifle was purchased with a bullet button, it must keep the bullet button (not remove it).

2. Go featureless and remove the "evil features" (add: fixed stock, Exile machine Hammerhead, thread protector - as long as the barrel without the thread protector is at least 16" long) and the overall length of the rifle is 30" or more. Then you can legally either replace the bullet button with a standard mag release or use a magnet button with the bullet button.

Is this accurate?
Thanks.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribouriver View Post
Sorry to be confused. I just find conflicting information. I have studied the new Calguns semi auto flow chart and I am still a tad confused. Please tell me if this is correct:

1. Register, and you can keep all the "evil features". But if it the rifle was purchased with a bullet button, it must keep the bullet button (not remove it).
Ya that is correct, at least until a court says otherwise. I'm sure a lot of people will remove their BB anyways, and I doubt anyone will be prosecuted, but never-the-less, the regulation holds force of law until a court strikes it down.

Quote:
2. Go featureless and remove the "evil features" (add: fixed stock, Exile machine Hammerhead, thread protector - as long as the barrel without the thread protector is at least 16" long) and the overall length of the rifle is 30" or more. Then you can legally either replace the bullet button with a standard mag release or use a magnet button with the bullet button.

Is this accurate?
Thanks.
Yep that's accurate.

Alternatively, you could leave the evil features on, and then convert the rifle to fixed-magazine, or rimfire, or not semi-auto.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks cockedandglocked.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks cockedandglocked.
Also I'd recommend replacing your classic "bullet button" with a convertible maglock such as the Raddlock, before you register. Might leave you with more options in the future (we don't know for sure yet, but it's worth a try)

Old 09-07-2017, 4:49 AM

Default Change of address

There will not be a provision in the law specifically that states that you will need to inform the DOJ of a change of address when you move within the State of California. However, you can be rest assured that when you get your registration letter as proof of registration, which you will need as tangible proof of your registration of your firearm or firearms, the instructions on that letter will tell you that you will need to inform the DOJ of a change of address. It's no different when you change addresses when you move for your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. It's not rocket science so don't expect that it will have to be in the regulations specifically to have legal force.
Old 09-07-2017, 7:50 AM

Quote:
There will not be a provision in the law specifically that states that you will need to inform the DOJ of a change of address when you move within the State of California. However, you can be rest assured that when you get your registration letter as proof of registration, which you will need as tangible proof of your registration of your firearm or firearms, the instructions on that letter will tell you that you will need to inform the DOJ of a change of address. It's no different when you change addresses when you move for your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. It's not rocket science so don't expect that it will have to be in the regulations specifically to have legal force.
I do not have any RAWs from prior registration periods, so I can't verify that those letters said anything about that - can someone who does have a letter verify that?

At any rate, even if the letter does say that, it does NOT carry legal weight if the letter says it but the regulations don't. In your Driver's License example, there is a specific Vehicle Code statute that says you have to report an address change. No such code exists for guns. Do you have to report an address change for your registered handguns? Nope.

Last edited by CandG; 09-07-2017 at 7:52 AM..
Old 09-07-2017, 11:17 AM

I do have an earlier registered AR and that's what occurred. Why do you think they want to registered? Remember, the mobility and the use of your weapon that is registered will be extremely limited from the travel from your place of residence to an approved range. So why would you not want to change your residence on the registration at some point if you move? To keep yourself out of trouble you're going to have to adhere to strict rules concerning assault weapons and it's not a pretty picture. You can't will your weapons to your family members and if you happen to die then your family would be forced to turn in that firearm to the state. Perhaps you could do your a favor and make them California compliant for the interm. Perhaps you'll end up moving out of state or the laws in this state could change for the better. But I doubt the second will happen.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I do have an earlier registered AR and that's what occurred. Why do you think they want to registered? Remember, the mobility and the use of your weapon that is registered will be extremely limited from the travel from your place of residence to an approved range. So why would you not want to change your residence on the registration at some point if you move? To keep yourself out of trouble you're going to have to adhere to strict rules concerning assault weapons and it's not a pretty picture. You can't will your weapons to your family members and if you happen to die then your family would be forced to turn in that firearm to the state. Perhaps you could do your a favor and make them California compliant for the interm. Perhaps you'll end up moving out of state or the laws in this state could change for the better. But I doubt the second will happen.
You might be right that the AW registration disposition letters from previous registrations demanded that we keep DOJ informed of our current address forever, but until I actually see that, I'm skeptical. Are you just going off your memory, or do you have an actual copy of the letter than you can share? (with redacted personal info of course). Further, can you share the method with which we are supposed to send DOJ our new address? Is there a form for that? How have you been doing it, or have you not moved in 17 years?

Last edited by CandG; 09-07-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Old 09-07-2017, 2:51 PM

Yes, I do have such a letter. If you need proof that I'm being honest then I'm not going to continue posting on the subject. What do I have to gain by lying to you? Go ahead and register your weaponry and hope that everything turns out for the best. The Department of Justice has plenty of money, including your money, to make an example of you if you get caught. Although I hope that you do not get caught in the event that you don't change your address for your assault weapons, I won't shed any tears either. Good luck feels.
Old 09-07-2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do have such a letter. If you need proof that I'm being honest then I'm not going to continue posting on the subject. What do I have to gain by lying to you? Go ahead and register your weaponry and hope that everything turns out for the best. The Department of Justice has plenty of money, including your money, to make an example of you if you get caught. Although I hope that you do not get caught in the event that you don't change your address for your assault weapons, I won't shed any tears either. Good luck feels.
Dude, it's an informational thread, where information is compiled for others to learn from. I'm not going to just take one guy's word for it without any other supporting evidence - nobody else has made this claim except you. If others vouch for this claim, then I'll add it to the information guide. Or if you post the text, I'll add it to the information guide.

If you're just going to tell me I have to take your word for it, then I'm not adding it to the information guide. Sorry if that makes you mad.

I am not calling you a liar - I am saying I don't know if you're right or not, but I won't just believe something when I hear one person say it, especially when they are unwilling to cite any sources to back it up. Cite sources, or find other people who can attest to your claim, or please quit making the claim.

Last edited by CandG; 09-07-2017 at 3:07 PM..
Old 09-07-2017, 3:10 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

It never came up in the past for me, been at the same residence since 2001. Left for a few months here and there, but never moved out of state or moved to another location in state.

I scanned this image of my letter with my personal info removed, it doesn't have any mention of notifying every time you move. That's the one on the top, from the 2000 period.

The next two are from the original Roberti Roos period from 1989-1992. These aren't mine just some examples I have collected from other members over the years. Same deal, no mention of moving or change of address.

I have to dig my 2004 50 BMG letter out of the safe. Stay tuned, but I don't think it's any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 09-07-2017, 3:19 PM

Thank you Disco

Old 09-07-2017, 3:37 PM

There is, to my knowledge, not even a system for people to voluntarily submit an address change, so recommending that people do so even if it isn't required is not sound advice. Your address should already be changed with the DMV after you move, and that is the only evidence an officer would need, that you live where you say you live.

Old 09-07-2017, 3:55 PM

Correct, and actually it just kindly asks you to tell them if you sell/relinquish them or remove them from the state (and even politely says "please") but that's not in the PC or regulations either, so it's really just asking you to do the DOJ a favor, not really a requirement.

The regulations do spell out a method to report those things (but not in-state moves) to DOJ, but they call it voluntary.

Last edited by CandG; 09-07-2017 at 4:03 PM..
Old 09-07-2017, 4:03 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

It's not a requirement of the AWCA at any time that you remove yourself from the registry for whatever reason, which includes selling through a AW permit dealer out of state or moving out of state. You can stay in the registry if you want forever. You have to do paperwork to get out of it.

So, if I sold my rifle on GB and used an AW permit dealer or just upped and moved out of state, I would still be in the registry and would need to file a no-longer in possession form and then go through their process to get out of the registry. But I could choose to stay if I wanted, no need to de-register.

Only time I need to get out of the registry for sure is when I sell inside CA as a non-AW. At that point, the rifle needs to leave the registry in order to be sold.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 09-07-2017, 4:58 PM

Well...I hate to say it but apparently I've got egg on my face on this one. I checked my letter from the DOJ a few minutes ago and it too does NOT include a change of address requirement. I honestly thought it did. I had planned to move at one time 10 years back or so and it was on my mind back then. I've lived in the same spot for the last 23 years.

My sincerest apologies to one and all. It's been a long week. Again, my apologies for being so trite. I am truly embarrassed. Thanks to all who took he time and effort to prove me wrong and straightened this out.

All the best!
Old 09-07-2017, 5:12 PM

No worries, I didn't want to sound aggressive but I just wanted to be sure people weren't getting incorrect info. I'm just glad we've got the answer now, regardless of how we arrived at it

Old 09-07-2017, 5:14 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Well...I hate to say it but apparently I've got egg on my face on this one. I checked my letter from the DOJ a few minutes ago and it too does NOT include a change of address requirement. I honestly thought it did. I had planned to move at one time 10 years back or so and it was on my mind back then. I've lived in the same spot for the last 23 years.

My sincerest apologies to one and all. It's been a long week. Again, my apologies for being so trite. I am truly embarrassed. Thanks to all who took he time and effort to prove me wrong and straightened this out.

All the best!
No problem bro, everything is intended to be as confusing as possible.
Quote:

Old 09-07-2017, 5:31 PM

Nice guide Cocked
Old 09-09-2017, 7:26 PM
Banned

I submitted a registration last week, checked out, paid, got confirmation email. But when attempting to submit the joint registration I get this error:

Quote:
The primary joint registrant CRIS transaction must be paid for before a secondary joint registration can be submitted.
Initially I figured they just needed a few days to process the credit card but still no luck today.

Anyone else experience this? Did it sort out automatically?
Old 09-09-2017, 7:31 PM

Interesting... I haven't seen anyone else report that happening yet, hopefully someone can shed some light on it for you. Maybe call doj on Monday if it is still giving you the same error

Old 09-09-2017, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Well I just checked my bank account, they took my 15 bucks, tomorrow or Monday I'll create an account for my wife and see if I can co-register her on the two I've done so far. I seriously hope we don't have to wait for the primary account to be approved before we can submit the joint ones.

EDIT: was able to create an account for my wife and register the two rifles under her as well with no problems.

Last edited by rero360; 09-10-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Old 09-10-2017, 1:01 PM

Does this mean I have until 07/01/2018 to legally use my mini14 with ATI strike force stock without worrying about re installing the factory stock?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:47 AM

I registered 2 rifles on the first day and just received this e-mail today
The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov. For questions regarding your account, please email the Bureau of Firearms at: bofcris@doj.ca.gov
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmen17 View Post
The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov. For questions regarding your account, please email the Bureau of Firearms at: bofcris@doj.ca.gov
Thanks for the update.

It's interesting that they say "You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail." because their regulations say that they will only notify you of an APPROVAL by US Mail - and that rejections will be notified by email, not US Mail.

Which makes me wonder if maybe your email is vaguely telling you that your application was approved

Old 09-12-2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:

Did you receive a separate
notice for each rifle?
Old 09-12-2017, 5:37 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgrasso View Post
Does this mean I have until 07/01/2018 to legally use my mini14 with ATI strike force stock without worrying about re installing the factory stock?
ATI strikeforce stock = folding/extending stock with pistol grip

From 2001-2016, in order to be CA legal, a Ruger Mini-14 with folding/extending stock with pistol grip needed to have a "bullet button" style magazine lock and a 10 or less round magazine.

From 01-01-2017 to 06-30-2018, possession of a Ruger Mini-14 with folding/extending stock with pistol grip and "bullet button" style magazine lock is legal, as long as it was legally obtained before 2017.

If the Ruger Mini-14 with folding/extending stock with pistol grip never had a "bullet button" style magazine lock and 10 or less round magazine installed, then it is an illegal assault weapon.

If the Ruger Mini-14 with folding/extending stock with pistol grip has a "bullet button" style magazine lock installed after 2016, then it's an illegal assault weapon.

Therefore...
If your Ruger Mini-14 with ATI strikeforce stock had a "bullet button" style magazine lock installed before 2016, then it would be legal to continue using until 07-01-2018.
If your Ruger Mini-14 with ATI strikeforce stock never had a "bullet button" style magazine lock installed on it, then it is illegal to possess it in that configuration.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-12-2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedediah Munroe View Post
Did you receive a separate
notice for each rifle?
No, I registered 2 rifles on the same registration.. only paid the one fee but the e-mail only references one rifle by make and serial number, I'm thinking one is the primary so that's why no mention of the other one.
Old 09-12-2017, 6:45 PM

Quote:
No, I registered 2 rifles on the same registration.. only paid the one fee but the e-mail only references one rifle by make and serial number, I'm thinking one is the primary so that's why no mention of the other one.

Yeah I registered several and only got one notice that had a header referencing just one of them
Old 09-12-2017, 6:50 PM

Also looks like they want model listed on lower. For example colt model 6921 is roll-marked M4LE. They want you to list model as M4LE
Old 09-12-2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedediah Munroe View Post
Also looks like they want model listed on lower. For example colt model 6921 is roll-marked M4LE. They want you to list model as M4LE
Also, check the "Banned by Name" list of assault weapons, and make sure you do not enter a model that is listed there. For instance, you should not register anything with a model "AR-15" or "AK-47", etc.