Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-20-2018, 10:36 PM

will the gun stay drop safe with a modified trigger?
that would be my concern, as well as the safety mechanism's sturdiness (i.e. a Rock island 1911 slop vs a Colt's firm detent mechanism)
Old 09-21-2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
This is what I want to hear about. Can you point me to any articles regarding the issue of manual thumb safeties accidentally disengaging?
A bazillion people carry 1911s cocked and locked everyday. It’s fine, that is how the pistol was designed to be carried and why it has a thumb safety.

Send it to CGW for the carry package. Be happy.
Old 09-21-2018, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96chevjumps View Post
The cz was designed to carry at half cocked position thats why the safety will not engage unless at full cock. Full cock safety on is only to be used as a temporary way to make the pistol safe during a pause in the action (fight or target shooting) there is no difference carrying a cz decocker at half cocked (what it falls into when decocker is used) or one with a man safety. Technically the safety version is safer because it has two hammer legs touching the sear not one as in the decocker. Use the pistol at half cocked its much safer to carry vs full cocked safety on. Hope that helps you. If you dont believe me do your research on how the gun was intended to be used.
Well, with the safety on the trigger won't pull. That seems like a big difference to me. But I will read some more about it.
Old 09-21-2018, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupulepeter View Post
A bazillion people carry 1911s cocked and locked everyday. It’s fine, that is how the pistol was designed to be carried and why it has a thumb safety.

Send it to CGW for the carry package. Be happy.
Thanks Pupulepeter!
Old 09-21-2018, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
This is what I want to hear about. Can you point me to any articles regarding the issue of manual thumb safeties accidentally disengaging?
I'm vaguely familiar with the CZ Rami. If I remember correctly, it does not have a grip safety like a 1911, so if the manual safety were to move during carry, & you lightened the trigger, you would have an accident waiting to happen.
Old 09-21-2018, 7:18 AM

Default Safe to carry gun with light trigger if it has a manual safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruecheese View Post
will the gun stay drop safe with a modified trigger?
that would be my concern, as well as the safety mechanism's sturdiness (i.e. a Rock island 1911 slop vs a Colt's firm detent mechanism)

One of the concerns for me too. “Lightening” the trigger in these models typically involves changing the geometry of the sear/hammer engagement which effects function of the manual safety and changing the fpb lifter and spring which effects function of the drop safety.

That can all be done successfully, but it takes quite some work by someone experienced with the platform.

Simply changing springs to make a significant difference can have other consequences, especially with reset and reliability.

Sending it to CGW or CZ’s shop or getting the gun you really want are good options.

ps. Trigger pull weight and whether it was within factory specs played a role in the Steinle/Zarate case, granted Zarate was not the owner, but worthwhile to think about.

Last edited by Ruber; 09-21-2018 at 9:35 AM..
Old 09-21-2018, 10:14 AM

I called my local sheriff's office. They are not concerned about the trigger, etc. Their only concern would be the need to update my cow permit if I change the caliber or the serial number (?) because then my gun wouldn't match what is written on the permit. I'm fortunate to live in a fairly rural county in northern California. Our sheriff supports concealed carry.

If I have this done, I'll send it to Cajun and have it done right. Thanks all.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:27 AM

Page 23 of your cz instruction manual.... "Safety on is applied especially in a short term interruption in shooting" half cocked no safety is designed for all regular handling ( holster, bed side, carry ect ) and is considered the permanent ready position. If you ever took apart a cz and looked at the saftey plunger and spring you will know its to easy to swipe to the ready to fire position. Read your instruction manual again on page 23. Only way i would carry a cz cocked on locked would be with a holster that blocks the hammer from falling on firing pin.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:39 AM

If, like me, your manual only goes to 15, p. 7 has some similar verbiage, but in context of readiness, which probably is the next discussion...