Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 66 7.89%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 561 67.11%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 18 2.15%
I paid too much for my Membership! 39 4.67%
They will go out of business this year! 21 2.51%
Don't want anything to do with them! 131 15.67%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 PM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post
Membership Type: Diamond
Membership Date: SEP 2011
Courses Taken: 4DDH-Graduate, 2D Handgun Skill Builder-Graduate (just did this course a couple days ago)
Next Course: 4DTS (ASAP)
Comments: I am certain that the business model is completely unsustainable and that the full resort will never be built. However, I'm milking as much out of the membership as I can and so far, I have no complaints. I can't comment on how it compares with other programs but the price is right.
I need to take the precision rifle courses soon!
Old 06-23-2013, 5:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryect View Post
I signed up for the GLOCK course. Any feedback on it?
It is a good class. If the regular instructor is teaching it, he is very knowledgeable and entertaining. He used to (and still does some) teach gunsmithing at Lassen Community College in Susanville, California.

Their NRA Summer Program is going and they have a variety of one-week gunsmithing classes if you might be interested. Their schedule can be found here: http://lassengunsmithing.com/html/frame01.htm

As far as the FS Glock course, it is not an official Glock course. As such, you are not considered a Glock armorer in Glock's eyes. This is no big deal other than you can't order parts directly from Glock without being a Glock armorer.
Old 06-23-2013, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAShooter View Post
It is a good class. If the regular instructor is teaching it, he is very knowledgeable and entertaining. He used to (and still does some) teach gunsmithing at Lassen Community College in Susanville, California.

Their NRA Summer Program is going and they have a variety of one-week gunsmithing classes if you might be interested. Their schedule can be found here: http://lassengunsmithing.com/html/frame01.htm

As far as the FS Glock course, it is not an official Glock course. As such, you are not considered a Glock armorer in Glock's eyes. This is no big deal other than you can't order parts directly from Glock without being a Glock armorer.
Thx, Just interested in being able to detail strip and maybe change some parts on my own Glocks.

PM me for class certificates
Old 06-23-2013, 9:23 AM

Default XD/XDM course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
Has anyone already taken the 1911 and XD armorers courses yet? Are they really basic? I am thinking of taking them in September.
Took the XD Armorers course. Great info, just not enough time to get the practice of dis and re-assembly. Good graphics displayed. I'm going again....just to practice. They will however provide a roll of tape for a "bench block" otherwise take all the tools they recommend. I even scored some dental tools from my dentist a week before the class. Some of the springs are hard to get at with all the thumbs I have on my hands
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.
Old 06-23-2013, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Has anyone already taken the 1911 and XD armorers courses yet? Are they really basic? I am thinking of taking them in September.
I'll be there for all 4 armorer courses in September too
I just don't have an XD
Does anyone have an extra XD I can use for the day? I can reciprocate with a extra glock 23 to someone for the glock day
Old 06-23-2013, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh thanks MM, I still need to get the tools
Old 06-23-2013, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh
And
I don't have an AR i want to take either so I might skip that class, or take just a lower.
What is done in the AR armorer class?
Old 06-23-2013, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Some of us are going to doe the 4 day practical rifle course October 11th if anyone wants to join.
Old 06-23-2013, 6:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thx, Just interested in being able to detail strip and maybe change some parts on my own Glocks.
It should get you squared away on that.
Old 06-23-2013, 8:35 PM

Membership Type: Diamond

Membership Date: 2010?

Courses Taken: (2)4D Pistol, (1)4D Rifle, (1) Rifle Skill builder (1) 4D Shotgun, 1D-CCW, 2D Empty Hand Defense,

Next Courses I want to take: 2D Handgun Skill builder, 2D Edge Weapon, M16 class, MP5 Class.

Glock Armorer
Old 06-23-2013, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Hadn't heard about an M&P blowing up. Any details?
Sorry, I didn't get in here for a while, Larry. This is total "telephone", but the armorer came up to our class and walked the pistol around. Bottom of the frame was blown off, barrel was split. He said it was a brand new handgun that was given as a gift from son to father. During drills, father bent over and picked up rounds off the ground, put a 9mm round in the mag of his .40cal, loaded, pulled the trigger, click no bang, racked the next round, pulled the trigger, and the 9mm round that was stuck in the chamber made a nice wedge and the .40 had no where to go. The bullet was still stuck in the barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post

Nowhere, other than Front Sight, have I ever seen an instructor get up and shoot. On day one of the handgun courses, they have the instructors shoot, although it's only a few rounds, and they shoot very well. This is an actual training venue.
I don't have much else to compare to other than Stan's classes up in LA, but I took the rifle and handgun class with him and he shot for both. Small class size, personal interaction, you actually learn some useful stuff that is a little more practical for an actual fight.

I found useful stuff in both classes, but there is definitely something to say about small class sizes and something local.
Old 06-23-2013, 9:58 PM

I am in the process of getting a new handgun. How many of you have done a class like the HG course at FS with both a DA/SA (not Glock/XD/M&P) and a SAO? I'm considering getting a SAO but the DA/SA seems to offer a better full set of features.

I'm talking strictly for the class environment, not for defensive purposes. I know it comes to personal preference and people are going to say "try both." But for trying to get the DG at FS it seems like an SAO certainly has it's benefits.
Old 06-24-2013, 5:10 AM
Veteran Member

DG'ing with both DA and SOA is not that hard. But the trigger control with the DA only does ramp up the difficulty factor. If you can consistently press the trigger on a DA/SA and hit your designated area then the striker fire guns are a cakewalk.
Dry practice is necessary for keeping your skills in check, and mandatory if your using a DA/SA handgun. The fudging factor just isn't there with that ginormous DA trigger pull.
If you have a DA revolver, take the class with it. There are DA, as Frontsight won't allow you to SA it. The bonus is that the is no type 2 or 3's to deal with.
Old 06-24-2013, 4:12 PM

I am headed to 2 Day Handgun Skill Builder Night Course next week. Any helpful tips from someone that may have attended a night course before.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-24-2013, 5:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET66 View Post
I am headed to 2 Day Handgun Skill Builder Night Course next week. Any helpful tips from someone that may have attended a night course before.

Thank you in advance.
Be prepared for the potentially wide range of environmental conditions. Be sure to have spare batteries, bulbs, lights, etc. Practicing your flashlight techniques is not a bad idea. Dry practice in general is a good idea (of course low-light techniques will be incorporated in the class).

A red light is useful to preserve night vision; however, many others will use their tactical lights so it is usually a lost cause.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am taking the 2-day hand gun with a friend, will be his first time at FS Sept 13 & 14 and then the 2-day Shot gun on Oct 25h & 26th.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Last edited by Simi-Surfer; 06-25-2013 at 12:11 AM..
Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM

I agree, Instructor demostrations are invaluable as a teaching tool. It takes all the question out of a technique being possible.
When running the SG range, it was not uncommon for me to go through a 25 round box of birdshot, 20+ buck shot and 10 slugs.
My favorites were: Multiple targets, select slug at 50, hostage rescues with buckshot and.....walking my winning shoot off student with the rest of the class (fully armed/slung muzzle down and briseling with ammo) in a "flying wedge" through the handgun class to compete.
I still demonstrate every technique I teach a student or class. It was one of the really positive things at FS.
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

I have the 4 night shotgun over the 4th!

Front Sight President / Heritage Member
Old 06-25-2013, 7:56 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Doing the 2 night handgun (support side) and 2 night edge weapon over the 4th as well!
Old 06-25-2013, 8:58 PM

I purchased several more AKD memberships new years eve after a few too many...scared I would miss out if it truly is the final offer.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
And I DG'd shooting Cowboy Style
Alright, I asked a few people at work, and we were all at a loss as to what this is? I can only picture shooting off the hip with a single action revolver.
Old 06-28-2013, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Doing the 2 night handgun (support side) and 2 night edge weapon over the 4th as well!
Hope to see you out there, I will be with my wife. At least you will be in ac for two nights. Vegas is having a heat wave now, a month early this year. Looks like nights will be in the 90's.

Old 06-28-2013, 3:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
Alright, I asked a few people at work, and we were all at a loss as to what this is? I can only picture shooting off the hip with a single action revolver.
Just a joke in response to someone else's post.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 06-29-2013, 8:55 PM

I don't know if this sad face is big enough.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hey front sight guys quick question. If I buy a lifetime membership but only take a class once every two years, do I still have to pay the $50 background check fee every calendar year or just get it redone for when I take a class?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Only needed for the years you attend at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
Hey front sight guys quick question. If I buy a lifetime membership but only take a class once every two years, do I still have to pay the $50 background check fee every calendar year or just get it redone for when I take a class?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:22 PM
CGN Contributor

currently, you only pay the background check fee one for each calendar year that you take a class. If you don't take a class in 2014, you don't have to pay the fee for that year. but once you sign up for a class in 2015, you'd then have to pay the 2015 fee.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-30-2013, 3:03 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
Hope to see you out there, I will be with my wife. At least you will be in ac for two nights. Vegas is having a heat wave now, a month early this year. Looks like nights will be in the 90's.
I will also be taking the "Secrets of the Ultra Successful Ambassador Seminar" and the Ambassador ID course which are both in the daytime and indoors. Hope the Kool Aid is ice cold!
Old 06-30-2013, 4:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
Only the calendar year you take a class.

Old 06-30-2013, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I will also be taking the "Secrets of the Ultra Successful Ambassador Seminar" and the Ambassador ID course which are both in the daytime and indoors. Hope the Kool Aid is ice cold!
I did the ultra successful years ago. But tell me what the ambassador id Is.

Old 06-30-2013, 5:07 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I did the ultra successful years ago. But tell me what the ambassador id Is.
Ambassador Instructor Development for their At Home training is on Wed. I've conducted several courses already and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-01-2013, 7:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks

Old 07-05-2013, 1:41 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks
LCU -My son is in the 4 night practical rifle with your wife. He's digging her space gun (PS90?) and its lack of type 2&3 malfunctions. They are getting a lot of shooting in with only 8 students left in the class!
Old 07-05-2013, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
LCU -My son is in the 4 night practical rifle with your wife. He's digging her space gun (PS90?) and its lack of type 2&3 malfunctions. They are getting a lot of shooting in with only 8 students left in the class!
Thanks for the shout out. That ps 90 was mine, but she fell in love with it and now I had to find something to replace it. Have an ar 57 upper waiting for me when this class is over for pick up. They are lucky to be in such a small class. Are you in any classes now? I am in the 4 day hg on 1c now, my shotgun broke so I transfered.

Old 07-05-2013, 7:53 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the shout out. That ps 90 was mine, but she fell in love with it and now I had to find something to replace it. Have an ar 57 upper waiting for me when this class is over for pick up. They are lucky to be in such a small class. Are you in any classes now? I am in the 4 day hg on 1c now, my shotgun broke so I transfered.
I did the 2 night HG with the wife. It was her 2nd class and she was very apprehensive throughout the class shooting at night and with a flashlight. The FS instructors, once again, came through with flying colors, easing her fears and working with her patiently so that she had a great time and gained the skills of low/no light shooting.

We decided to skip the 2 night edge weapon class and just relax. Went to Vegas yesterday and probably again today. Even with the heat, its been another great FS family vacation!

Last edited by acegunnr; 07-05-2013 at 8:03 AM..
Old 07-05-2013, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Hope you two didn't loose too much money in vegas. Ask your son to say hi to Donna.

Old 07-05-2013, 9:00 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hope you two didn't loose too much money in vegas. Ask your son to say hi to Donna.
Will do. I've done good staying away from the tables and we are just hitting the buffets! Hehe.

Old 07-05-2013, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

Don't forget the lunch buffet at Paris!!!

Old 07-06-2013, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

Not yet, it will be out in a few days, the email we just received is the teaser.

Old 07-06-2013, 8:44 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not yet, it will be out in a few days, the email we just received is the teaser.
Piazza alluded to this video at the Ambassador seminar last Tuesday. He needs to rally the members to help complete the Nevada facility in 3 years by raising $70 million. With a 70,000 member household, it will take 10 membership transfer fee of $100 to make it happen or something to that effect.

I'm sure all the detractors will chime in about this, but I think the timing is right and the membership/subscriber base is there. Piazza just needs to use all the marketing skills he has to overcome the naysayers and provide a compelling reason and "offer in abundance" to make it happen. We shall see.