Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-25-2018, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98 View Post
When u guys go turn in your renewal app do they collect the 77$ at that time? I ask bcuz i just dropped mines off and the lady didnt ask for it so I thought maybe the payment is due at pickup?
No, you pay when you pick-up your new permit.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2018, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hopefully the sheriff continues to be professional and do what right

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 07-30-2018, 5:43 PM

Hi All.

I'm a current CCW holder in Stanislaus county and just moved into SJ county a week ago. Anyone know the policy for the application process after moving? Do I need to apply for a new license? A renewal? Transfer?

I'm hoping I just need to apply as a renewal but I'm guessing that it'll be treated as new with the full 2 day class etc......
Old 07-30-2018, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali209 View Post
Hi All.

I'm a current CCW holder in Stanislaus county and just moved into SJ county a week ago. Anyone know the policy for the application process after moving? Do I need to apply for a new license? A renewal? Transfer?

I'm hoping I just need to apply as a renewal but I'm guessing that it'll be treated as new with the full 2 day class etc......
Unfortunately you have to start from the beginning in San Joaquin County. If you moved to the city of Ripon you should go through Ripon PD, anywhere else in the county and you need to apply through the Sheriffs office. If what they are saying is true, its now about a 6 month process instead of 12 to 14 months as its been the past 3 or 4 years.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2018, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali209 View Post
Hi All.

Nor*Cal is correct. I moved from Stanislaus County to San Joaquin County a few years ago and had to start the process all over again. At least it’s a shorter process now. I had to wait just over a year. You might want to call and check, though. Sheriff Withrow might do things differently than Sheriff Moore did.

Old 07-31-2018, 9:38 AM

What is the earliest that you can renew ? They just issue me a 1 year and is my first CCW permit its expire this Dec 2018
Old 07-31-2018, 9:49 AM

2-3 months is what they want. I did mine at the 3 month mark.
Old 07-31-2018, 4:44 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bench View Post
What is the earliest that you can renew ? They just issue me a 1 year and is my first CCW permit its expire this Dec 2018
They recommend 90 days. I did it I think 6-8 weeks early. You do not want to pick it up until right before it is due though because your expiration is in my case 2 years from the date you pick it up so if you pick it up early you are shorting yourself. In my case, I screwed myself though. My permit expires in 9 days. I was going to pick it up beginning of next week. I did a PPT today and they told me since it expired before the end of the 10 days, I either needed to get my new permit and come back or take the safety certificate test and pay the $25. I ended up taking the test which was the stupidest test I have ever taken. It is basic common sense.

Old 08-01-2018, 9:38 AM

Smile Swift Renewal

Here is the timeline of my latest CCW renewal process:
7/9 had an appointment at SJSO and turned in my CCW renewal paperwork; 7/16 received a call from Investigator Mr. Alfonso who asked me questions that essentially verified what I had entered on the forms. He also verified the new gun that I was requesting be added to my permit;
7/27 received an email that morning from Sara at the SO advising me that my application was approved and to proceed with my 4-hr training. I immediately contacted Silvercreek Security Academy in Tracy. Spoke to Conrad to see when they had an opening in one of their classes. Conrad told me that I could come in that afternoon to join a group. Me and five other guys met with Conrad and John at their office in Tracy, completed the paperwork and proceeded to the Elite Armory Shooting Range in Tracy to do our certification. Shot 50 rounds and met the certification requirement. Conrad handed me my certificate right there at the range. I contacted the SO that afternoon to make an appointment to pick up my new license.
8/1 made my appointment at the SO. Paid my $77 and was issued a new CCW license, good for 2 years. The license is still being signed by Sheriff Moore who doesn't get relieved by Pat Withrow until the first of the year. The license is still the old laminated type card.
Old 08-08-2018, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSig View Post
Arizona CCW
21 days from requesting package to receiving CCW. Incredible.
Even better: Virginia gives the IA a maximum of 45 days to complete their work. If 45 days pass, you get issued a temporary permit.

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p
Old 08-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko82 View Post
Finally got around to turning in my application - 7/3/18
Went back later that week for Livescan - 7/6/18

Waiting for the phone call.

A couple notes.... The lady at the desk (short blond hair, glasses) was incredibly nice and helpful, even got me in without an appointment (didn't know you needed appointment to turn in. oops). Very accommodating and pleasant. She also said they made some changes to the process to cut down the wait times and said its no longer 12-14mo and is about 6mo wait now! Hopefully that proves correct. Maybe a Christmas present

Also, anyone who is self employed, they will require a copy of your Business License/Business Tax Certificate. You need to have that at the time of the initial application apparently. I didn't know that, but they told me to just email it to them, so I did.

UPDATE: got my phone call 8/8/18

I answered a few clarifying questions, also disclosed a "Texting while driving" ticket that I got BEFORE I turned in my paperwork and had forgotten about (first ticket in over 10years). The guy was very laid back and straight forward. Said to expect it to be on the Sheriff's desk for approval in a month or so. He also confirmed what the female officer at the dept told me about wait time being significantly reduced.

Hoping to have mine by or before Christmas!
Old 09-05-2018, 8:46 AM

UPDATE 9/5/18: Got my notification of approval of my CCW application and can now sign up for the training course! So stoked. Can't believe how fast it went after reading this thread. Seems like the streamlining they told me about and I posted here is indeed true!
Old 09-05-2018, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechozenone View Post
Just got my CCW today. Process only took 3 months. Pretty fast if you ask me...

And I agree...that short hair lady is super nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Mine is 2 months in so far, so by the time I take the class and schedule the appointment to pick it up, probably the same as you, about 3 months.

I feel you on being stoked....definitely been an exciting morning.
Old 09-14-2018, 5:38 AM

It's nice to see that the wait times are getting more reasonable.

So I'm getting ready to apply, but I noticed something while going through the paperwork for my firearms. And am wondering if it will be an issue when applying for CCW. One of the DROS forms for a firearm I want to use for CCW has my name slightly incorrect.

Basically, I have 2 first names, but on one the DROS forms, the 2nd first name was entered into the middle name box, so for that DROS, it's 1 first name and 2 middle names. All the names are there and spelled correctly, it's just 1 was put as part of the middle name when it should have been part of the 1st name. The DROS/Background check went fine and DROS/Background check forms after that have the names in the correct order, and they all process fine. I noticed that even though I fill out the form correctly with 2 first names, that the information that populates in their computer system always populates with 2 middle names. So I have them manually change it. Must have missed that the first time.

Is something like that going to be an issue if I want to use that on my CCW?

Is there a way to have that changed/amended? Or am I thinking too much into it and should just apply?
Old 09-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_logan_32 View Post
Call the Professional Standards Division at the sheriff's office and ask. They are very helpful.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:05 AM

I got my ccw about a week ago and they put a restriction of 1 year on it. Any reasons why? I thought maybe it was because im an initial application or that I’m 22 or is it because the sheriff will be changing pretty soon? Any of the recent guys have a one year restriction?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsq45 View Post
I got my ccw about a week ago and they put a restriction of 1 year on it. Any reasons why? I thought maybe it was because im an initial application or that I’m 22 or is it because the sheriff will be changing pretty soon? Any of the recent guys have a one year restriction?

Mines 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_logan_32 View Post
It's nice to see that the wait times are getting more reasonable.

So I'm getting ready to apply, but I noticed something while going through the paperwork for my firearms. And am wondering if it will be an issue when applying for CCW. One of the DROS forms for a firearm I want to use for CCW has my name slightly incorrect.

Basically, I have 2 first names, but on one the DROS forms, the 2nd first name was entered into the middle name box, so for that DROS, it's 1 first name and 2 middle names. All the names are there and spelled correctly, it's just 1 was put as part of the middle name when it should have been part of the 1st name. The DROS/Background check went fine and DROS/Background check forms after that have the names in the correct order, and they all process fine. I noticed that even though I fill out the form correctly with 2 first names, that the information that populates in their computer system always populates with 2 middle names. So I have them manually change it. Must have missed that the first time.

Is there a way to have that changed/amended? Or am I thinking too much into it and should just apply?
I wouldn’t worry about it. If the dros went thru, I’m sure it’s all good. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:22 AM

I did a modification about six months ago to add a firearm. It took two weeks. I did another recently to add and delete a firearm. It has been six weeks now, I did call and she said it is in the sheriff's office.
Has anyone else done a modification recently and if so, how long did it take? I am thinking that maybe the changing of the guard coming up may be slowing things down.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:25 AM

I just did one last week to update my address. Receptionist told me 3-4 weeks. I'll update how long it will take but based on the receptionist, it shouldn't take to long. At least I hope so, but in the mean time she said my license was still valid until I receive the modified one.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:31 AM

She told me 3-4 weeks as well, back on 8/22. As far as I know there is no background check involved for a mod, just re-typing the new permit and printing. I am not able to use my G26 until then.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:39 AM

That was my understanding as well. I wonder if he is slowing down on signing them for a reason.
Old 10-08-2018, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

Any of you guys know which one is our ccw lic#. I dont remember if its the one listed under the “ORI”. Or is it the “CII”#?

Old 10-09-2018, 5:20 PM

Default CII or ORI

The CII number is assigned to you by the California Department of Justice. It stands for "Criminal Identification Index", and is used to record that an individual was fingerprinted. CII is also often called a RAP record (Record of Arrest and Prosecution). This would be the unique identifier linking you, your license and your record. It is your CCW license number

ORI = Originating Agency Identifier. ORI's are unique identifier used specifically for LE agencies throughout the US and territories. ORI's identify those agencies that are able to send, receive and send/receive telecommunication messages through the NCIC/NLETS system. This is not your CCW license number.
Old 10-10-2018, 4:16 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info

Old 10-13-2018, 9:23 PM

I was notified Friday that my modification is ready. Only took seven weeks....they may be swamped, who knows. Glad it is done!
Old 10-15-2018, 10:40 AM

So... I just got the email that my modification has been done and ready for pick up... maybe paperwork gets rearranged or something? There is no rhyme or reason on how things reach the Sheriff's office but glad it is still getting done. Took less than 2 weeks for my modification.
Old 10-27-2018, 9:22 AM

Completed my CCW class with First Response at the Linden Gun Range. Duncan, Carlos, and Eloy (not sure on that spelling) were great and I learned a lot. Went a few days later (10/24/18) and got my permit!

Only reason I didn't have it a few week ago was my work schedule getting in the way of the classes. Happy to have it now!

A friend applied after I was approved and his approval came in half the time that mine did. I highly encourage anyone thinking about getting one, don't put it off. NOW is the time to apply!
Old 10-29-2018, 10:49 AM

Gecko, Stay in contact with Duncan. He will offer "CCW continuing education" training classes from time to time. Congratz.

Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 10-29-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer61 View Post
Gecko, Stay in contact with Duncan. He will offer "CCW continuing education" training classes from time to time. Congratz.
Definitely. I signed up for his low light training course and as soon as he has a date for the CCW continuing course I'm signing up for that too.
Old 10-31-2018, 7:37 AM

I recently applied for a CCW in San Joaquin and when I had my interview to drop off my application they came out to the lobby and rushed through it. When they did my phone interview I received a email saying I need to go back down and take a photo for the application. My question to the group did anyone take a photo when you dropped off your application?
Old 10-31-2018, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlehne1980 View Post
I recently applied for a CCW in San Joaquin and when I had my interview to drop off my application they came out to the lobby and rushed through it. When they did my phone interview I received a email saying I need to go back down and take a photo for the application. My question to the group did anyone take a photo when you dropped off your application?
Yeah thats when they did my photo
Old 11-01-2018, 2:26 PM

I am starting a first issue process for myself. I called today and the lady I spoke to said earliest was November 26th to turn in the paperwork. She didn't have an ETA for when this would all be said and done. I should have done this a long time ago, but.. life. Since Moore is leaving office I wanted to get on this!
Old 11-01-2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerStan View Post
Here is the timeline of my latest CCW renewal process:
7/9 had an appointment at SJSO and turned in my CCW renewal paperwork; 7/16 received a call from Investigator Mr. Alfonso who asked me questions that essentially verified what I had entered on the forms. He also verified the new gun that I was requesting be added to my permit;
7/27 received an email that morning from Sara at the SO advising me that my application was approved and to proceed with my 4-hr training. I immediately contacted Silvercreek Security Academy in Tracy. Spoke to Conrad to see when they had an opening in one of their classes. Conrad told me that I could come in that afternoon to join a group. Me and five other guys met with Conrad and John at their office in Tracy, completed the paperwork and proceeded to the Elite Armory Shooting Range in Tracy to do our certification. Shot 50 rounds and met the certification requirement. Conrad handed me my certificate right there at the range. I contacted the SO that afternoon to make an appointment to pick up my new license.
8/1 made my appointment at the SO. Paid my $77 and was issued a new CCW license, good for 2 years. The license is still being signed by Sheriff Moore who doesn't get relieved by Pat Withrow until the first of the year. The license is still the old laminated type card.
What's the fees for the 4hrs training if you wouldn't mind me asking ..Thanks
Old 11-20-2018, 1:41 PM

Dropped off the CCW renewal application today. Doing things a little different than 2 years ago. Went in for my appointment and just had to sign the few pages of the application, took my picture and said would be called and have my interview over the phone.
Old 11-20-2018, 5:14 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bench View Post
What's the fees for the 4hrs training if you wouldn't mind me asking ..Thanks
It depends on where you go. There is a whole list of trainers on the SJSO website.

Old 11-27-2018, 7:57 AM

(This article was posted in the Manteca Bulletin on 11-26): Sheriff Pat Withrow supports issuing more gun permits to residents, and one of his campaign pledges from 2014 still remains. Withrow believes that any law-abiding resident that can pass the necessary background checks and doesn’t have any mental health history or issues should be able to carry a gun for their personal protection. “We were able to move the Sheriff on that in the last election, but there’s a system now where you have to apply and then wait a year before they even consider approving your application – the backlog is that big,” Withrow said. “When I’m elected we’re going to clear that backlog because everybody has a right to protect themselves and their family.
“We can’t have a police officer on every corner, and I think there’s something to be said about the person who wants to protect themselves and their neighbor from harm – we shouldn’t make those people wait.”
Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerStan View Post
(This article was posted in the Manteca Bulletin on 11-26): Sheriff Pat Withrow supports issuing more gun permits to residents, and one of his campaign pledges from 2014 still remains. Withrow believes that any law-abiding resident that can pass the necessary background checks and doesn’t have any mental health history or issues should be able to carry a gun for their personal protection. “We were able to move the Sheriff on that in the last election, but there’s a system now where you have to apply and then wait a year before they even consider approving your application – the backlog is that big,” Withrow said. “When I’m elected we’re going to clear that backlog because everybody has a right to protect themselves and their family.
“We can’t have a police officer on every corner, and I think there’s something to be said about the person who wants to protect themselves and their neighbor from harm – we shouldn’t make those people wait.”
Thank you, Sheriff Withrow. My vote for you was well placed.

Now, will he allow us to list 5 guns instead of 3?

Old 11-27-2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Thank you, Sheriff Withrow. My vote for you was well placed.

Now, will he allow us to list 5 guns instead of 3?
And 5 years instead of 2?
Old 11-27-2018, 6:28 PM

Scratch that.

Last edited by CaliTrav; 11-29-2018 at 4:54 AM.. Reason: Found my answers through reading and a helpful member.