Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:16 AM

Default Anyone with a braked .300 Win Mag?

I'm looking to get some trigger time behind a braked .300 Win Mag before I commit to ammo / reloading pieces prior to the deadline. I'm in SGV (OC / Angeles / IE all within reach) and willing to pay for your ammo / time / barrel wear.
Or better yet, any ranges that lends out .300 WM?

Basically, I'm trying to discern whether the recoil will be worth the down-range energy.

Also, has anyone successfully spotted their own shots @ 600 with a braked (Nathan or Schuler brake equivalent) .300? And I don't mean turn down to 6x power. This is kind of future-proofing for when I get the place to reach out beyond 1k.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bahco Metal Files / Felo Screwdriver / Logitech Keyboard / Digital Multimeter

Referral Links (we both get money!):
SwagBucks (6% Cabela's / 2% Raise / 1% eBay)
Active Junky (6% Cabela's / 4% Brownells)
Mr. Rebates (1% eBay)

Last edited by michaelthepsycho; 11-14-2017 at 11:18 AM..
Old 11-14-2017, 11:35 AM

A 8lbs gun acts different than a 18lbs gun - so you really should define your needs better. If you do you not be as disappointed with the results not matching expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-14-2017, 12:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Speaking only of lighter weight hunting rifles, 300WM or 300RUM, second followup shots are made much easier with a brake, given 26" tubes it does make the rifle longer but worth it, just don't let your hunting buddy stand too close, the concussion and noise is magnified by the brake.

When at the range to do a sight-in, I stay away from everyone else.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:56 PM

JMHO,
The cost for higher energy on target at long range is often paid with increased recoil. I view the 300 WM as a fine hunting cartridge (I have a 300 RUM) but as noted previously, are you intending on using it to hunt or do you just want to knock holes in something fom a long way off. As with any ELR target shooting, increased weight of the rifle is your friend; however, if you are intent on using it for hunting, you want to make it as light as possible. Spotting your shots at 600 yards has more to do with shooting fundamentals than it does with recoil. Some people shoot 50s and watch their impacts while others shoot a 308 and have to ask others where the bullet impacted. All centers on what the main job of the rifle will be.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:58 PM

My rigs always end up 12 lb+ and at the bench only. I don't hunt.

I can spot my own .308, just want to try before I buy.
Old 11-14-2017, 1:11 PM

I have a 300 WM and I dont think it is worth it as a cartridge. It does not perform that much better than my 30-06 with really heavy bullets and way underperforms my .338 LM. Also the belted cartridge is difficult to reload so it is a pain on top of it.
Old 11-14-2017, 1:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I run the apa fat bastard and the recoil is less than a .308.
Old 11-14-2017, 1:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a boss on my 300 wm. It cut the recoil by a bunch.
Old 11-14-2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
My rigs always end up 12 lb+ and at the bench only. I don't hunt.

I can spot my own .308, just want to try before I buy.

Are you spotting your own .308 @100 on height power or reacquiring the target to see the impact at longer 400+ ranges.

Reacquiring is a bit different then self-spotting. I only ask because there is a impactful difference.

As pointed out the 300WM and 7WM has some issues that other calibers do not. All can be worked thru with the correct tools. If it was for target only and you never had to run factory ammo and limited resources to get it, Iíd rather jump to a 300NM etc.

A few things other than recoil to consider.

Both my 7WM and 300, get really hot fast and eat barrels. Iíve had barrels go in about 1k. Thatís not a lot after load development when shooting several load types.

Also, youíll be asked not to shoot either of the two at some locations if shooting steel.

Because you donít hunt or seem to have specific EOT needs, you arenít gaining much over the 308 at most square ranges unless they offer ELR components ... Sure if the wind is ripping out tumble weeds, but not under normal target conditions.

With equal heavy weight, mid teen# field type guns with (MTU target type barrels) 6.5, .308 both braked vrs my similarly weights in 300/7WMs I can self-spot from a stable prone position. The 6.5/308s I can usually not only see the impacts, but see the trace if conditions are good and dialed in around 25x; but not on the WMs. Now, ask me to shot from an unstable position and all that goes out the window.

Expect to be several thousand dollars for a field build for the above type examples + Glass.

Along those same lines of an unstable position, I have a 7lbs 270 that kicks my arrs and I have to worry about reacquiring in order to see the impact so that means the target needs to be further than 100m. In other words, it is just not calibers but the entire rifle build and the position your use dictates.

If your ďwhyĒ overrides the negatives then just get one.

Edited to add: my response is because you said you ďspot my own hitsĒ. So I assumed you are talking reactive targets and berms from a bench. Benchrest, while participating in a few, is not something I would knowingly even begin to comment on. Self-spotting and the shooter input require is generally at polar opposites of good BR practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by diver160651; 11-14-2017 at 4:15 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 6:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag. HS Precision trued the action, put one of their hunting barrels and hunting stocks on it, and the muzzle brake was also put on by them. The muzzle brake is like a Harrell's muzzle brake with spiral ports http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/pr.../muzzle-brakes I was also provided a cap to put on the end of the barrel. There is a significant difference in felt recoil between shooting the rifle with and without the muzzle brake. With the muzzle brake, the rifle feels like it is shooting a .308. You will not be able to spot your shots, with my rifle but it does make for faster follow up shots, and with the reduced recoil, I have used this rifle to shoot prairie dogs all day long going through 200 rounds and the recoil did not bother me. The brake does not affect accuracy either way.
Old 11-14-2017, 6:40 PM

I️ shot a 300wm for several years...5 barrels to be exact...great round but expensive to shoot when you factor everything in...like diver said they eat barrels especially if your shooting any kind of comps.

I️ ran a JP recoil eliminator on mine...very little muzzle movement...I️ rarely lost sight of my targets even from supported positions.

If I️ was to build another mag Iíd most likely go SAUM of some sort but then Iím not into the 2k plus game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

The 300 win Mag does well to 2000 yards. We had a group called the 30 caliber conspiracy at our matches and they always performed quite well.
They all shot prone with bi-pods and muzzlebrakes and 50+ rounds a day was commonplace. Typical weight from a WAG would be 12-15 pounds.
The Berger 215 and 230 bullets shot well.
If your shooting paper or gongs the energy doesn't mean much.
The reason for the bigger case is only energy if your hunting.
The bigger case for targets means more velocity which translates into a ballistic advantage over slower chamberings all else equal.
In simple terms a quarter inch 308 will get beat by a quarter inch 30-06 and both will get beat by a quarter inch 300 Win Mag as the distance increases because the bullet is less affected by atmospheric conditions.
If your shooting prone with a bipod you can add weights to the bipod legs to help tame the recoil.
If your shooting from a bench you can put a heavy removable keel on your stock or add weight to it and reduce the affects of recoil.
You can take off the buttpad and fill the stock with pinewood derby weights as well.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 11-14-2017, 8:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

.300WSM shooter here, significant reduction in felt recoil, from a sharp jump to a very manageable push.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'd say just do it!

If you've got a rifle in mind, or even a different caliber, it doesn't hurt to try.

In fact, tomorrow morning I'm heading out to buy my first 300 win mag; a Desert Tech SRS of all things.

The cartridge intrigues me, the rifle intrigues me, and in the event that I want to reach out and touch something (Texas has several ranges with some distance), I'll be ready for it and you should too.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
For sale/trade CZ Precision Trainer

For sale/trade Browning Buckmark