Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Default A proposition, looking for input

Good day,

I am in the early stages of trying to flesh out the idea/vision I had from a replacement of the now SDCCU stadium site.

I need to make it clear that while I am employed by SDSU, this is in no way represents their view point as a university.

1: Soccer City plan has it partially right (Housing, Park)
2: SDSU Alumni plan has it partially right (Stadium, Park)
3: Neither address the largest epidemic we face that has resulted in the largest outbreak of Hep. A in recent history.
4: The Soccer City creates new HIGH end homes and shopping.
5: The Alumni plan place the site in final control of the CSU board... Which is a REALLY bad idea (they consistently under-fund, oversell and overpay)

The problems the Homeless face are in four items:
1: They have no home
2: Many have Mental Health issues
3: Many have Substance Abuse issues
4: Many are facing a skill/education gap

My plan attacks a few issues at the same time and uses Private(Business/NGOs)-Public partnerships. We just can't go and say the tents are the best thing to solve the problem, we need to look outside just single solutions and aggregate them into a Homeless Uplift Base. My vision is called SD-HUB.

Here is my vision for the site.

1: SDSU receives 30Ac to build a 32k Seat stadium and convention space to have another revenue stream into the university. Similar to the Chargers Convadium idea that was floated. This satisfies SDSU getting their stadium. Paid for by SDSU/CSU/Bonds

2: 10 Ac. is set aside for a river park/trail. This Satisfies the public lands access, and is run by City Parks.

3: 20 Ac. for multi level parking structure for use with the stadium AND housing in #4 Run By private business

4: 75 AC for Low Cost Appts./condos (mainly 2bed/1bath, 1bed/1bath, studios, and a small number of 3/2 units). This would be a starting point for many transitioning out of the transitional space in #5. Built and Managed by Private Corporations

5: 25 Acres for a Homeless Central intake providing
a: Dormitory style housing (Run By Private Corps)
b: Mental health Services (This is a County Function)
c: Substance Abuse Services (County Function)
d: Education services (K-some College) (SD Unified, SDCCD, and University run)
e: Supplemental services like a Cafeteria(NGO likely), meeting spaces(city/Private Corp managed), onsite jail space/Drunk tank(Sheriffs office), Space for NGO's to use for outreach (like Alpha Project, St. Vincent, Solutions for Change, etc.)

6: Requiring enforcement of current ordinances

My questions are:
1: Would you support this?
2: What would you change/Add?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

All park, no housing, no commercial. That is best for the city which is why it won't happen.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:14 AM

Park would be mandated to be larger, I believe the soccer city proposal is for 55 acres of parkland along the river in land that is in the flood plain. SDSU doesn't have the money to buy 30 acres and build a stadium. They say their budget for a stadium is $150M (and history shows they do not reach their funding goals). Soccer City had a decent chance to pass until SDSU bailed. SDSU will need a development partner who would look at the site about the same as the SC proposal and will need to maximize profits of developing the site in order to pay the cost of building a stadium that will be a money loser from day one.

To be honest, I don't see anything happening to the site for the next 10 years. It is much easier to not get stuff done in San Diego than vice versa.
Old 11-16-2017, 5:03 PM

Many homeless are that way by choice. Mental problems, heroin, and malt liquor will keep them on the streets no matter what you offer.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Maybe re-open all the mental hospitals Reagan closed?