Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

Default I swear I'm not a pervert...

My wife is... gifted.

Enough so that her breasts get in her way in a lot of cases while taking pistol classes.

Frankly, this is one of those things I think (like being left handed or cross-eye dominant) that an instructor really needs to experience to coach you through. Suffice it to say, she hasn't always been happy being coached on the subject by breast-less male instructors.

Can anyone suggest a busty female instructor in the LA/Long Beach area?

We've been through a couple of basic pistol type classes, and my wife is a very decent shot. This would be for more of a tune-up to try and look for ways to improve than a complete newbie intro class.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Last edited by BigFatGuy; 02-22-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 9:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've been meaning to ask a similar question but figured when it became enough of a hindrance to my lady she'd seek the info out herself. However I have a lot more Internet forum browsing time than she does so I doubt she'll ever ask.

Everything I've tried to show her ends with "we'll that just won't work for me so I'm gonna do it this way instead." I don't want her training in any bad habits.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

guys, you are in the Ladies Forum.
in case you didn't notice.
it was created by Mr K, the owner of this website so that we wouldn't have to deal with the testosterone crowd.
get some manners or stay out.

to the OP: can't help you but if you find someone, please let us know!
from shooting guns to bowling, well, men just don't get it that what works for the slim jim doesn work for us.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
guys, you are in the Ladies Forum...
get some manners or stay out.

??? I assume something happened and got deleted in the 20 minutes since I posted this?

Quote:
from shooting guns to bowling, well, men just don't get it that what works for the slim jim doesn work for us.
There's some things that just require a similar experience... When I spoke of the trouble of getting left-handed coaching, I've been through this first-hand.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer...
Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Head Janitor

Serious answers and input is fine, it's a real question and a real issue for some.

Juvenile picture or vulgar comment WILL get you banned for two weeks.

This is the one warning that will be given.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 02-17-2013, 1:23 PM

Smile Seriously folks! ;-{

Hi I'm Mrs BigFatGuy. Yes, my hubby isn't a perv. He's a thoughtful, caring, wonderful person. He saw that I was having trouble and asked me if he could make this request on my behalf. (Because I do not generally follow forums. This is one of a couple, in 20 years, I've joined that my hubby didn't run.) You should all be so lucky to have such an attentive friend by your side for the rest of your lives. I'm frustrated that some found his post offensive. I'd like to assume that you may think you're doing good, but you're just feeding into the stereotypes that have made real women's lives hell! Please reevaluate you're attempts, so that good deeds do not go punished at your hands. Stop being part of the problem!

Now, for my issue. Yes, I'm well (well!) endowed. Wearing 38DD (real size closer to 36F). I have trouble contorting my top half into a standard Weaver. I have problems with other things as well (like waist holsters, etc) because of my figure, but finding a good stance (one that is comfortable for my body type) would help most in the short term. Please help if you can recommend someone who has personally found solutions to these issues.

thanks,
Mrs Big Fat Guy

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” – Arthur C. Clark

"Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft…and the only one that can be mass-produced with unskilled labor."
- Wernher von Braun
Old 02-17-2013, 1:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBigFatGuy View Post
Hi I'm Mrs BigFatGuy. Yes, my hubby isn't a perv. He's a thoughtful, caring, wonderful person. He saw that I was having trouble and asked me if he could make this request on my behalf. (Because I do not generally follow forums. This is one of a couple, in 20 years, I've joined that my hubby didn't run.) You should all be so lucky to have such an attentive friend by your side for the rest of your lives. I'm frustrated that some found his post offensive. I'd like to assume that you may think you're doing good, but you're just feeding into the stereotypes that have made real women's lives hell! Please reevaluate you're attempts, so that good deeds do not go punished at your hands. Stop being part of the problem!

Now, for my issue. Yes, I'm well (well!) endowed. Wearing 38DD (real size closer to 36F). I have trouble contorting my top half into a standard Weaver. I have problems with other things as well (like waist holsters, etc) because of my figure, but finding a good stance (one that is comfortable for my body type) would help most in the short term. Please help if you can recommend someone who has personally found solutions to these issues.

thanks,
Mrs Big Fat Guy
I'm as far away from a busty woman as a human being can get.At the risk of bragging my body type is a somewhat muscular male with a 32" waist: yet my carry solution my work for your situation.

For both of us, waistband carry is an uncomfortable proposition.I find that shoulder carry is the best arrangement for user comfort, since all the hardware is suspended at the shoulders; which you certainly have the real estate for. Another advantage to shoulder carry I don't have is that your bust size is an asset: the thickness of your chest means a horizontally carried weapon won't print through the cover garment.The position is also very compatible with Iscosoles posture shooting, which may be a better choice for you then the Weaver stance.

In the Iscosoles position, both arms are locked forward at the elbows instead of bent as is the case with the Weaver stance. I find it a superior position to shoot from as it helps with recoil control.

While I encourage that you find a professional instructor to impart the finer points on drawing and carrying regularly, it would seem that shoulder carry ideally solves your specific needs. Don't listen to the naysayers who say its too slow or that you'll shoot yourself in the arm. Such is the talk of fools; a properly configured shoulder harness looks nothing like what you'd see on Law and Order SVU.

Hope this helps, and if you do order a shoulder rig feel free to PM me for tips on properly fitting it.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 02-17-2013, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

I wish we lived somewhere where the type of holster to use was an issue... ;-(
Old 02-17-2013, 2:31 PM

good topic, real question....been waiting for an answer, been wanting to get my wife some training and if this was an option I would choose that trainer for her
Old 02-17-2013, 3:28 PM

i complained re the inappropriate comment/picture posting but had no problem with the original post as posted!
and then when i saw the 2nd post on the topic this a.m. i was pissed off that it got deleted!!!!!!!
admittedly, it was better worded than the first post but it is and remains a legitimate question!
i still wonder why the 2nd post this a.m. got pulled!!!!!!

ok, in my response to the 2nd post this a.m. i suggested the following:

http://www.corneredcat.com/

and

this just days ago came into my field of vision:

http:http://blog.crpa.org/?page_id=156//

i'm hoping that somewhere within there might be some good suggestions......and i'd also say that should either of you find a good instructor that shares the same physic and/or at least grasps the concept that we aren't all created equal and have to learn how to do things that work for our particular bodies, well, i hope you post the name and contact info here.

i want to apologize to you both for the initial reception you rec'd here. not ok. again, to be clear, my objection in the initial post was to the immature knob that had to post a girlie picture and another particular comment.

i would like to welcome you both and assure you we're not really as exclusionary as we probably appear.

eta: a big thank you to Mr K for bringing the original thread back.....although my response to the 2nd thread was better.........
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D

Last edited by movie zombie; 02-17-2013 at 3:35 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 5:14 PM
CGSSA Leader

I must say...I was rather surprised by Movie Zombie's post as well, but that is bc the offending post apparently had already been removed. MZ is not one to jump the gun on accusatory posts.

With that said...I am rather gifted as well Mrs BFG and am heading to Frontsight next month for a 4-day training course. They require a weaver stance there so that is what I have been practicing shooting with. I will try to be as delicately stated as possible in my description...lol. I am right handed. I squat down a little and lean forward. I have to make sure that my right arm is out straight, but over my chest. My left arm is bent with the elbow down and pretty much is over and in front of my chest (because of leaning forward). If necessary, you can either have your arm to the side of your chest or on top it it. Standing straight up or leaning back will definitely cause you to "get in the way". I hope I am making sense bc I really am trying to be descriptive in a non-descriptive way.

Last edited by Poms&Guns; 02-17-2013 at 8:24 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 6:19 PM

There's been a lot of miscommunication and weirdness going on here, but I think we're on the right track now. This stuff happens often, especially when women don't write in for themselves.

I am sure that the folks in the CalGuns LA Chapter can solve this and find you an appropriate local instructor near you in LA, Mrs BFG. Here's a link. Make a post there and someone local will be able to help you. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=290.

If you PM me, I will put you in touch with a C3 there who will be glad to help. I know that the San Diego Chapter is getting ready to sponsor a Women on Target training soon, so they may be able to make recommendations too.

I think you might phrase this post so that "the instructor understands the special requirements of women shooters" rather than to get descriptive. I'd avoid posting my physical sizes too. TMI.

You are welcome here, MrsBFG, and I invite you to review some of the older posts that discuss holsters and back-ward leaning stances, that may interest you.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 02-17-2013 at 6:48 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 7:38 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Try Center Axis Relock.

I think one of my C3 folks know these folks: http://www.civilianarmstraining.com/

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

Last edited by pennys dad; 02-17-2013 at 7:51 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 8:57 PM

Bonnie, i'm going disagree with you re "understanding the special requirements of women shooters".....that phrase tells me absolutely nothing....in fact, on any given day i might find that offensive. i like that the OP was specific. there is nothing wrong in this context with the word "breast/breasts".

now i do think a request for a "busty" instructor is unusual but within the context of the post.....please go back and read it word for word w/o prejudice.....because he also took the time to explain "the why" and talked about cross-eye dominance/left handed shooting.

once again i think we [the women of calguns] are taking offense and being defensive when its not necessary......

and yes trust me when i say there was a yahoo comment and a definitely not Ladies Forum picture posted and hence my early comment about guys needing to behave....which was in no way meant to include nor was it directed at the OP!

i don't want the Ladies Forum to become a place where every time a male poster tries to get info we tell him to go away and send his female companion in. not all women desire to become a participant on internet forums. THIS IS NOT A FEMALE ONLY FORUM. however, it is a RESPECT FEMALE FORUM designed to be a riff-raff naughty boy immature knob keyboard commando free zone.

time to catch some "z's". i hope you all had a good weekend!
Quote:
Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

As I told Movie Zombie today: my wife has a lower tolerance for ego-driven nonsense than I do, so I tend to handle the Internet research. Rest assured I am not here to make decisions for her, but I am the better of us for serving as an information conduit.

As for the other comments, perhaps I was wrong that a female-oriented forum dedicated to the very adult topic of firearms was a safe place to use the word "breast"... but things are called what they are called, and to call them anything else is to be childish in my mind. If you cannot say what you mean, you cannot mean what you say.

I've received several suggestions so far (here and by PM), and I thank you all for those. We'll look into them and see what we find out.

Regarding Center-Axis-Relock: Our first training class was in CAR. I didn't mind it, she didn't like it at all. Neither of us found it handy enough to go back for a second class.

Last edited by BigFatGuy; 02-17-2013 at 10:57 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 8:08 AM

please keep us posted re what you find out.
you are not alone in wanting to find a "better way", Mrs BFG!
Quote:
Old 02-18-2013, 9:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I saw the headline from the main page.
I used to work at Firearms Training Associates. When I worked there, there was an athletic female instructor who was very well endowed. We used to tease her about it like saying she need to dig a few holes to get in the prone.
Anyways, she knew her **** and was very professional. I cant remember her name as I havent been there since 08 and dont know if she still works there.
www.ftatv.com
Old 02-18-2013, 9:28 AM
Cantankerous old coot

Dear OP and Mrs. OP,

Contact Julie@firearmstraining.com. She specializes in assisting female students with a broad range of physique specific issues.

All the best!
Old 02-19-2013, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

I'm a guy without the issues being discussed but I shoot Isosceles style.I stand square to the target. Low ready is both hands on the pistol about waist level. To shoot the motion is simple push both hands forward and bring the pistol to eye level. I find weaver to be awkward.
take care
Mike
""When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged", 1957"
Old 02-19-2013, 4:26 PM

My wife is quite large breasted (36J) as well as being fairly short (5'2"), and has no trouble with a good pistol stance. I believe she basically uses a Weaver stance, and essentially her breasts go under her right arm and along her left arm. Sorta like this picture, but not necessarily the cup and saucer grip.

EDIT: I hadn't checked out the blog this image is from, but it looks like maybe an email to these ladies would get you some good info, as well as simply reading through their blog.

http://womenofcaliber.wordpress.com/...nd-the-stance/

(I have no connection to any of the links or images posted, It's just what Google turned up)
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by AragornElessar86; 02-19-2013 at 4:30 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornElessar86 View Post
For those who asked about my wife's thoughts on this, the article posted above was what she tells me was the most helpful so far. The third stance discussed (the hybrid stance) is the most comfortable for her: isosceles on top, pseudo weaver below the waist.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 AM

I'm glad she found something that works for her.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 02-23-2013, 8:26 AM

thanks for the feedback, BFG!
Quote:
Old 03-07-2013, 7:57 PM

I'm a fan of modified as well. I'm basically straight on with the target, but one leg forward feels more stable, easier on my back, it just feels the most natural.