Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2018, 9:09 AM
immaRNurse

Default 10+ round capacity magazines... am i missing something =) ...

hello all... Georgia native here... just moved to fairfield, CA

from what i understand 10 + round magazines are illegal here? i was at the range the other day and witnessed a 20 something year old unloading a couple of 17 round magazines. wasn't LEO or military... i asked how the person came about them and they said "i purchased a couple of high capacity magazines in texas when i visited relatives." i replied "isn't that illegal?" person said "don't get caught during transport and you're good."

am i missing something?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:38 AM

For years, the laws in CA have prohibited the acquisition of 11+ capacity magazines, including carrying them in from out of state. For a long time there was an exception for rebuild kits, but that was also banned a couple years back. During that time however, possession and use* of pre-ban magazines was legal. Recenty possession was criminalized; however there is currently an injunction against that law on constitutional grounds, so possession of pre-ban magazines is OK for now.

* The use of 11+ round magazines in a magazine-locked (BB, AR Maglock, etc.) semiautomatic centerfire firearm renders that firearm an assault weapon, effectively prohibiting the use of 11+ capacity magazines in firearms equipped with those sorts of compliance devices.

There’s also some municipal level bans on possession of 11+ capacity magazines here and there; AFAIK these generally result in confiscation if discovered.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:06 AM

That same guy probably cheats on his taxes, steals from his work and lies to his wife.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Calguns Addict

What you're missing is the jail time, the fines and the loss of property.

A new statute which bans possession is tied up in courts and under an injunction, holding its provisions at bay, for now.

Importation and purchase is banned.

The individual to whom you spoke illegally imported the magazines and is hoping that the statute of limitations runs out before he is questioned.

Moreover, there are provisions of existing law which can result in Large Capacity Magazines (that's what the California calls them) being declared a nuisance and subject to confiscation and destruction. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...0.&lawCode=PEN
Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Either you got them before December 31st, 1999, or you illegally imported them.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

I'm glad our founding fathers didn't follow British gun laws. Or, we'd all be speaking English right now.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 03-08-2018, 12:28 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanze View Post
I'm glad our founding fathers didn't follow British gun laws. Or, we'd all be speaking English right now.
Yeah, I'll gladly IGNORE any laws you want to name if they are enforced by a country thousands of miles and a month long sea journey away!

Things today are a bit more difficult than they were 250 years ago.
Old 03-08-2018, 2:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanze View Post
I'm glad our founding fathers didn't follow British gun laws. Or, we'd all be speaking English Spanish right now.
FIFY
Old 03-08-2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Either you got them before December 31st, 1999, or you illegally imported them.
This.... the truth.
Old 03-08-2018, 5:41 PM

The only place you are going to see people say they dont exist and are bad is here on Calguns.

I see standard capacity magazines at my local range all the time, and everyone has them.

Here on Calguns you are surrounded by *** kissers and fear mongers.
These are the same people who are proud to register their weapons!
Old 03-08-2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
The only place you are going to see people say they dont exist and are bad is here on Calguns.

I see standard capacity magazines at my local range all the time, and everyone has them.

Yeah, well, they're morons, because all it takes is one time, wrong place wrong time, to lose your gun rights.
Old 03-08-2018, 6:04 PM

16 in the clip and 1 in the hole
Old 03-08-2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j15w View Post
Yeah, well, they're morons, because all it takes is one time, wrong place wrong time, to lose your gun rights.
Yes. You’re right. Because felons never own guns.
Old 03-08-2018, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
That same guy probably cheats on his taxes, steals from his work and lies to his wife.
Wrong, we just don't live in fear of unjust laws. Thankfully I no longer have to live under the tyranny of CA politics.

Baaaaa, Baaaaaa

Last edited by Not so Chapped Hide; 03-08-2018 at 8:38 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:

You’re 100% correct. Like I said, last range trip I had 60 year old men shooting Surefire 100s. They said they are from Arizona but it happens all the time.

I have even had other State Troopers tell us just use descretion while in California. And that they would never follow California laws regarding factory capacity mags. That’s from the Chief of Police down to the Sgts. Fully sworn police officers telling the US military that.

There are ways around state law. I had my free state weapons while I lived in Hawaii and on federal land they are 100% legal. My CO signed off on letting us keep them at the armory. Nothing HPD could do in this instance even though it was a felony under state law. By keeping them on federal land the HPD had zero jurisdiction.

To make things even better is our 2 Star was pro second amendment and had his free state weapons there as well. So yeah go over our COs head and you have an Admiral doing the same thing.

Now being back in California I am ok with my 10 round mags. I have a few 30 rounders from 1998. Bought those in Alaska.

I would bet money that if they allowed standard mag releases and 30 round mags tomorrow in California , nothing would change. The Earths rotation wouldn’t stop because god for bid California allows 30 round mags.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Federal Drug Enforcement Officer 2012-2016

“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Paul LePage, Maine State Governor

Last edited by Endless; 03-08-2018 at 7:33 PM..
Old 03-12-2018, 11:50 AM

even before the magazine laws California police would still confiscate your magazines, they say it's for "safe keeping" or because it's a nuisance

some police make their own laws, I remember reading in the news about the Chief of Police in some Ca town say all magazines over 10 rds were illegal in California, and this was years before the banned from possession laws.

Last edited by omega; 03-12-2018 at 3:22 PM..
Old 03-25-2018, 1:06 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
And you dont protest when the schools let boys use the same restroom that your daughter uses
Old 03-25-2018, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Zieg Hiel!
Old 03-25-2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaRNurse View Post
hello all... Georgia native here... just moved to fairfield, CA

from what i understand 10 + round magazines are illegal here? i was at the range the other day and witnessed a 20 something year old unloading a couple of 17 round magazines. wasn't LEO or military... i asked how the person came about them and they said "i purchased a couple of high capacity magazines in texas when i visited relatives." i replied "isn't that illegal?" person said "don't get caught during transport and you're good."

am i missing something?
Technically you are correct. If you have some, the safe thing is not to take them out in public places, and get yourself some Ca. Correct mags for public use, or self defense use. El Dorado county doesn't strictly enforce, and if you are on forest service land, within El Dorado county, our Sheriff has nulified fed authority to enforce state firearm laws in the borders of the county. They ( Forest Service ) can squeel all they want, but our Sheriff has made it clear that he doesnt appreciate federal interference on the 2nd ammendment in El Dorado county. That doesnt prevent City, CHP or other state law enforcement ( Fish and Game) from screwing someone out of their standard capacity mags.
Old 03-25-2018, 2:25 AM
Veteran Member

Wrong place, wrong time, you lose...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-25-2018, 3:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Wink

The first rule of illegal magazine club is, ...
Old 03-27-2018, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Wrong place, wrong time, you lose...
Im agree with the 95% who never registered "assault weapons". The law is clearly unconstitutional, and the owners know it. Its the Ca legislators who are lawless ( sanctuary state, gun bans, mandated indoctrination of the homo agenda, and islam, ect, ect,ect.)
Old 03-27-2018, 9:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Why are you here? All you do is spread hate and insult members here, and call people names if they happen to disagree with you.

If you are "surrounded by arse kissers and fear mongers" here on CalGuns as you say, JUST LEAVE. NO ONE WILL MISS YOU.
Old 03-27-2018, 9:42 AM

the last few times Ive been to the range both indoor and outdoor, people were still using standard cap magazines, I could tell by counting the rounds when they were rapid firing.
Old 04-04-2018, 1:34 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
the last few times Ive been to the range both indoor and outdoor, people were still using standard cap magazines, I could tell by counting the rounds when they were rapid firing.
Good for them!
Old 04-04-2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:

Isn't that "California" defined? have you not already mostly lost your gun rights? what is it that your are trying to retain? the dregs of what your "political betters" think it's OK to have (for now)? that's good enough for some of you, eh? well they'll take that too - very soon, all you need is to have a incident on the scale of Las Vegas in CA... poof! it'll all be gone overnight. ALL of it gone. and the Supreme court will not bring you relief, the Federal government will hem and haw, but at the end of the day... you'll be ****ed.

at this point - you guys have lost your fight through legal means... your state is a lost cause. the deck is stacked 100% against you. So, why play fair if your antagonists insist on cheating anyway? the way I see it, the only path ahead for you now is non compliance - a passive civil disobedience writ large.

CA will never have it the way you want it - the way it should be.
the 9th circus could get an enema, be paneled 100% Pro 2A, strike down every single unjust law in your state, and STILL your state political masters will balk at changing the status quo. because the majority of your populace is left wing loonies.

I just hope you don't take the rest of the country down with you...
Old 04-05-2018, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
Isn't that "California" defined? have you not already mostly lost your gun rights? what is it that your are trying to retain? the dregs of what your "political betters" think it's OK to have (for now)? that's good enough for some of you, eh? well they'll take that too - very soon, all you need is to have a incident on the scale of Las Vegas in CA... poof! it'll all be gone overnight. ALL of it gone. and the Supreme court will not bring you relief, the Federal government will hem and haw, but at the end of the day... you'll be ****ed.

at this point - you guys have lost your fight through legal means... your state is a lost cause. the deck is stacked 100% against you. So, why play fair if your antagonists insist on cheating anyway? the way I see it, the only path ahead for you now is non compliance - a passive civil disobedience writ large.

CA will never have it the way you want it - the way it should be.
the 9th circus could get an enema, be paneled 100% Pro 2A, strike down every single unjust law in your state, and STILL your state political masters will balk at changing the status quo. because the majority of your populace is left wing loonies.

I just hope you don't take the rest of the country down with you...
Old 04-05-2018, 6:39 PM

MYOB