Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-17-2011, 4:25 PM

Are we getting any closer to CCW's in San Mateo?
Old 02-17-2011, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
I wasn't around 4 years ago.
Damn Gray, you're a real youngster!!
Old 02-17-2011, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's a little better than that but he's correct: "I wish to acquire a license to carry a handgun for the purpose of self defense" will not fly with Sheriff Munks at this time.
And we all look forward to the day when that changes.
Old 02-17-2011, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
I would love to apply, but I doubt they would issue me one due to my past.
What? Were you a gay stripper?
Old 02-17-2011, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
What? Were you a gay stripper?
You could say that
Old 02-17-2011, 8:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
Are we getting any closer to CCW's in San Mateo?
Yes. Especially if Nordyke is favorable which could be any day.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

-Gene
I keep hearing the Jeopardy theme music now when I think of the impending release of Nordyke. I wonder if we could get Watson to answer:

Alex: What was the result, and level of scrutiny utilized, in the Nordyke III case?

Watson: What is, Fairgrounds are not sensitive places and strict scrutiny.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

-Gene
Gene, I'm glad you said "any day" rather than that other phrase!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Gene, I'm glad you said "any day" rather than that other phrase!!
Whatever it is, it shouldn't/won't be too weak.

Erik.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:

Let me say this for those who are waiting; anyone who has any sort of good cause beyond simply self defense should feel free to apply and should expect to be successful.

-Gene
Yeeeaaah!! I am so glad to hear that!! I really did think that that was true, but so many people are like "i should have a ccw because it is my right" etc., and they just choose to ignore that the bay area is totally liberal and that Sheriff Munks has to deal with that too! So yes, you do have to have a good cause, which is sad, and is against the 2nd amendment, but if you have one, then you can get one!

Quote:
Ignore that. The sheriff eliminated the "you have to go first to the city pd" stuff months ago.
Wow! I ddnt know that! I don't know if that is good or bad because that is how i got mine (but i don't have it anymore because I moved away )...because if you get 'ok'd by a department, they still cannot issue you your ccw directly, but have to just refer you back to the sheriff. But if you have that referral, it is soooo much easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2 View Post
Can you elaborate Gene, I am a State Registered Professional in private practice and was denied because I was told (unfortunately not in writing) bad areas (ie:Richmond, Oakland, SF Western Addition) that I sometimes perform my profession is outside San Mateo's jurisdiction. I was shocked of their ignorance of the PC.
uh, that makes no sense at all. I think you should totally keep looking into that because it was way different for me. I was doing my cadet program completely in another area and that was not a problem at all!!
Old 02-21-2011, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

lulz

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 02-22-2011, 5:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hail call Grey, when are you going to make the 9th rule on Nordyke? I have not "cut and run yet" However i wouldn't mind trying my friend out up north.
Old 02-25-2011, 3:27 AM

I am confused.

Yesterday I was told, by someone who should probably know, that Sheriff Munks is accepting "self-defense" as sufficient GC. Or specifically, that the intentional CGF plants/volunteers that were run through SMCSO previously used "self-defense" as their GC. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the person who told me this - they are in a position to know or have access to know. Furthermore, they are not one to play games or hand out B.S.

Was I misinformed by this person, or did the terms "CGF" and "good cause", bring about preferential/blind-eye treatment for those folks who went through the process in late 2010? The most recent Gene post I can find on the topic, from another forum, is that 'elevated GC' is still required. I suppose it is possible that the term "self-defense" was misinterpreted when I asked my question, but I can't be sure of that.

I just want to know who, if anyone, is blowing smoke, or if this is a case of crossed wires.

Quote:
*cough* I've seen the actual powerpoint used and found it mildly useful and not very FUD. Please email me as I'd love to compare notes to see if yours was "old" or if I missed something when I "reviewed" it.

Let me say this for those who are waiting; anyone who has any sort of good cause beyond simply self defense should feel free to apply and should expect to be successful.

-Gene
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.

Last edited by edwardm; 02-25-2011 at 3:34 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 02-25-2011, 9:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
I am confused.

Yesterday I was told, by someone who should probably know, that Sheriff Munks is accepting "self-defense" as sufficient GC. Or specifically, that the intentional CGF plants/volunteers that were run through SMCSO previously used "self-defense" as their GC. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the person who told me this - they are in a position to know or have access to know. Furthermore, they are not one to play games or hand out B.S.
Self defense as good cause has lead to two denials in San Mateo County. Any heightened cause above that has lead to multiple successful issuances. The denials were right after the loss in Peruta (thanks Ed.)

We await Nordyke and Richards at this time. If you have more information than above, I'd appreciate an email.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 03-24-2011, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks, Ed!

C'mooooooooooooooooon, Nordyke!

. . . more like TWO DECADES! than TWO WEEKS! . . .

Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
Thanks, Ed!

C'mooooooooooooooooon, Nordyke!

. . . more like TWO DECADES! than TWO WEEKS! . . .
I have reason to believe we'll see Nordyke before Mid-May, worst case.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 03-28-2011, 6:31 PM

Quote:
I have reason to believe we'll see Nordyke before Mid-May, worst case.
What's your gut feeling on the "Will the 9th circuit get Nordyke right"? Have you looked at the makeup of the 9th? It's filled with appointees from President Carter. Leaving politics aside, we have to yet to find a judge in California who agrees with us on the carry issue. I realize you have no crystal ball (at least none that you'd admit to ) but what do you expect?
Old 03-28-2011, 7:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevilli View Post
What's your gut feeling on the "Will the 9th circuit get Nordyke right"? Have you looked at the makeup of the 9th? It's filled with appointees from President Carter. Leaving politics aside, we have to yet to find a judge in California who agrees with us on the carry issue. I realize you have no crystal ball (at least none that you'd admit to ) but what do you expect?
Nordyke isn't about carry but it is about scrutiny. The panel we have is unlikely to treat us poorly...

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 03-28-2011, 9:34 PM

the more i've been reading about these rulings, starting with McDonald, to Heller, and now Nordyke. These are landmark cases!

People should look at these cases for its implications.

Look beyond your personal agenda. This is way beyond that. Along the way, personal agendas will be satisfied, but Wow! hats off to those who have spent their hard earned time on making this better for everybody.
Old 04-11-2011, 7:42 PM

Any updates?

Also, could anyone who's been involved in or has knowledge of the good cause statements that led to successful issues please PM me to discuss a few things (that should be in my favor) that I'd rather not put out on the public forum? Thanks.

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 04-11-2011 at 7:44 PM..
Old 04-25-2011, 2:54 PM

so do I just go to the county sheriff's office, or do i need to visit my local police station first?
Old 04-25-2011, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

As far as I know, San Mateo is currently in the "don't apply yet unless you have extra special good cause" stage.
Old 04-25-2011, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
As far as I know, San Mateo is currently in the "don't apply yet unless you have extra special good cause" stage.
Nordyke will probably dictate which way SM goes and probably some other counties as well. For right now, you'll need something above self defense for good cause -- like transporting large sums of money.
Old 04-25-2011, 6:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBear View Post
Nordyke will probably dictate which way SM goes and probably some other counties as well. For right now, you'll need something above self defense for good cause -- like transporting large sums of money.
As Brandon would say "Don't forget Richards"
Old 04-25-2011, 8:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry47 View Post
so do I just go to the county sheriff's office, or do i need to visit my local police station first?
You can go directly to the San Mateo County Sheriff. Ignore your local PD as they are incorrect about the law. SMSO has been educated on this point but it's a new item for them. If you have any issues, reach out and we will gently remind.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 04-25-2011, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You can go directly to the San Mateo County Sheriff. Ignore your local PD as they are incorrect about the law. SMSO has been educated on this point but it's a new item for them. If you have any issues, reach out and we will gently remind.

-Gene
Old 04-26-2011, 1:59 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm eagerly awaiting some info on this. I shall become a San Mateo sponsor soon.
Do It!

(Please?)

You'll get this 'way cool logo for your posts!
In the final analysis, rights in a Republic are protected by the people themselves. If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.... Keep educating your neighbors and friends about the legacy of freedom that founded this nation and remind them what it takes to keep it free. --Don Kilmer
Old 05-02-2011, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What bearing will the decision have? good, bad, or?
Old 05-02-2011, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What bearing will the decision have? good, bad, or?
My guess is status quo in SM and similar counties for now.
Old 05-02-2011, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My guess is status quo in SM and similar counties for now.
That sucks
Old 05-04-2011, 11:51 PM

Default Gloomy in San Mateo county

Quote:
That sucks
Yes it does. Between Jackie Speir and Jerry Hill, two politicians graded 'F' by the NRA, San Mateo county is a tough place to live, if you want to exercise your 2A right. I don't know about you folks, but this Nordyke decision has about sealed the deal for me. I need to get out of CA or at least the Bay Area. I don't think I can wait 2,3,4 more years for Nordyke to be settled once and for all. i don't ever see self defense being accepted as good cause here. There is nothing in Nordyke to make me think Sheriff Munks will change his issuance policy.
Old 05-05-2011, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevilli View Post
Yes it does. Between Jackie Speir and Jerry Hill, two politicians graded 'F' by the NRA, San Mateo county is a tough place to live, if you want to exercise your 2A right. I don't know about you folks, but this Nordyke decision has about sealed the deal for me. I need to get out of CA or at least the Bay Area. I don't think I can wait 2,3,4 more years for Nordyke to be settled once and for all. i don't ever see self defense being accepted as good cause here. There is nothing in Nordyke to make me think Sheriff Munks will change his issuance policy.
Life is not the easiest for gun owners in SM county, but it is still one of the better spots in the Bay Area. It's the most permissive when issuing CCWs at this point. The fact that they'll issue for most elevated good cause puts them WAY ahead of other Bay Area counties.

As for the future of self defense issue, the Nordyke case didn't really hurt our chances there. CCW bans are Constitutional so long as another method of functional self defense carry is available. I contend UOC is not a practical method of carry, because of the unloaded requirement and because of the school zone restrictions. The Peruta court disagreed with me. If, however, a UOC ban is signed into law, I think the case for a fair CCW system is more forceful.
Old 05-05-2011, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Life is not the easiest for gun owners in SM county, but it is still one of the better spots in the Bay Area. It's the most permissive when issuing CCWs at this point. The fact that they'll issue for most elevated good cause puts them WAY ahead of other Bay Area counties.

As for the future of self defense issue, the Nordyke case didn't really hurt our chances there. CCW bans are Constitutional so long as another method of functional self defense carry is available. I contend UOC is not a practical method of carry, because of the unloaded requirement and because of the school zone restrictions. The Peruta court disagreed with me. If, however, a UOC ban is signed into law, I think the case for a fair CCW system is more forceful.
Yeah. I'll see just how "Elevated" the GC needs to be for San Mateo County. If things go according to plan, I'll be able to honestly and conclusively state a generally acceptable form of elevated good cause after May 21/22.

Personally, I expect it to flop spectacularly since I think even with 'elevated' good cause, the county is being very picky.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 05-05-2011, 8:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

When I was in SM county, My elevated GC resulted in them telling me not to bother and there was no reason to send me an application.
Old 05-05-2011, 8:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For the record, I did not give them a good cause statement! The deputy just asked a few quick questions, I answered vaguely and never even gave him my full name or address. They don't really want to issue at this time IMHO
Old 05-05-2011, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
When I was in SM county, My elevated GC resulted in them telling me not to bother and there was no reason to send me an application.
When you applied, was Munks the Sheriff?
Old 05-05-2011, 8:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Within the last 6 months or less
Old 05-05-2011, 8:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

They even told me to apply in Lake Co. I do have a special circumstance.
Old 05-05-2011, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I am very interested to find out if people with average GC (no imminent, documented threats, restraining orders, etc) are currently being approved in San Mateo County. IMHO, I doubt it. I still don't believe that anyone with average GC has been approved within the last 6 months, besides the two that I know about.

Old 05-25-2011, 9:43 PM

I may move to San Mateo county. How does the SM Sheriff approach multiple firearms on the permit? As many as you can list?