Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-08-2018, 6:55 PM

Default Forster .223 dies + cheap taper crimp?

I was doing some research on the various .223 dies and the Forster resizing and seating die seemed to get good reviews. Concentric necks and low amounts of runout, etc. The die set is pretty pricey, though. Would a cheap (Lee) taper crimp die be detrimental to any of this? Is there a better option to make sure that there's no setback after chambering a round?

It seems like those that go for accuracy are less inclined to crimp. I'm just starting out so I'm more concerned with safety/reliability than accuracy at the moment but I'd like to move up to home-made match rounds eventually.
Old 07-08-2018, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

A standard seating die will be sufficient.For everything that I shoot, I go without a crimp having oberserved no difference in oal of cartridges remaining in a magazine.
Old 07-08-2018, 7:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I sure want to believe Lee taper crimp is just as good Foresters'.

Heck, I'd even go as far as conducting an experiment.
Old 07-08-2018, 7:26 PM

If your using Forster dies you like accuracy, so you take a good bullet a squish it, it really is no longer a good bullet, yes that is just my opinion, but I have shooting bench rest for over 20 years and have never seen nor heard of anybody using a crimp. If your goal is battlefield ammo go for it!
Old 07-08-2018, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Bench Rest shooters have a code all to themselves. I am glad they do, they share good reloading information.
Bullet cannelure, crimp, and case gauge, "The best case gauge is your chamber!', are bad Bench Rest vocabulary words.

Last edited by hambam105; 07-08-2018 at 8:55 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodeer View Post
I was doing some research on the various .223 dies and the Forster resizing and seating die seemed to get good reviews. Concentric necks and low amounts of runout, etc. The die set is pretty pricey, though. Would a cheap (Lee) taper crimp die be detrimental to any of this? Is there a better option to make sure that there's no setback after chambering a round?

It seems like those that go for accuracy are less inclined to crimp. I'm just starting out so I'm more concerned with safety/reliability than accuracy at the moment but I'd like to move up to home-made match rounds eventually.
Since you are just starting out at reloading go to eBay and buy a used RCBS 223 FL die set.

You don't need a small base die for your gas gun - a FL die set will do just fine. No need to crimp - my 77 gr. reloads do not have a crimp.

You want match-grade ammo? Use Rem 7 1/2 BR primers and pick one of the following powders - Varget, H4895, or IMR 8208XBR.
Old 07-09-2018, 6:22 PM

I use the lee factory crimp die for .223. It doesn't rely on case length for a consistent crimp like a taper crimp die, and it's easy to adjust the amount of crimp. Personally I lightly crimp, I don't feel much is needed, and I only load for ARs. If I ever started loading for a bolt gun I wouldn't crimp at all.
We must be on calguns...
Old 07-09-2018, 6:30 PM

I use the Forster + Lee fcd for a light crimp.
Old 07-09-2018, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I do not crimp any rifle ammo. This includes for semi-auto and mag rounds. Have not had any problem and have been reloading since the 1960's.
Since I have to slightly bell my 45-70 brass for lead bullets I do remove the bell but do not crimp them.