Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-16-2010, 6:30 PM

Default Proof of Residency

So I will be turning 21 in a few months and will likely pick up a Glock 17.

At the place I live, I do not have any utility bills under my name. What other forms of proof are acceptable?

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 03-16-2010, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

Car registration will also work just fine.
Old 03-16-2010, 7:06 PM

cable bill works. and anything you may get from social security (im disabled). i used a letter they sent me.
Old 03-16-2010, 7:10 PM

A rental agreement will work as well, but certain places might require you to have it notarized.
Old 03-16-2010, 7:45 PM

CCW
Old 03-16-2010, 7:57 PM

+1 on the Rental Agreement. I just printed one off the net, filled it out and had my folks sign it. Turner's had no problem with it, even though it wasn't notarized. I think each shop has different rules about that though so ask first.

Last edited by Donkeypunch0420; 03-17-2010 at 11:26 PM..
Old 03-16-2010, 8:16 PM

Dude I didnt know I needed it on my first pistol, got to the store all excited and got hit with that hoop to jump through. Had to drive all the way home to pick up my motorcycle reg.
Old 03-16-2010, 8:21 PM

I used my motorcycle registration.
Old 03-16-2010, 8:31 PM

bank statements
Old 03-16-2010, 8:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
bank statements
Will not work.
Old 03-16-2010, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrykay View Post
Will not work.
i swear they gave me that option in turners a while back when i asked.
Old 03-16-2010, 9:54 PM

Anything to do to with the city, property tax wont work.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrykay View Post
Will not work.
It will at the FFL I went to last time. I don't think they are supposed to accept it but it didn't matter to me since it was a long gun so I don't think they needed proof anyway. They also told me my CCW wouldn't work.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 PM

TCG, just FYI some gun stores seems to be rather picky about what they will and won't take (even if it's all legal), so it probably wouldn't hurt to call around first.

Also, :magpul:
Old 03-17-2010, 6:03 AM

Talk to the manager at the shop you will be going through.

Write down his/her name so you can refer to them later should the need arise.
Old 03-17-2010, 6:14 AM

Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cable Guy View Post
So I will be turning 21 in a few months and will likely pick up a Glock 17.

At the place I live, I do not have any utility bills under my name. What other forms of proof are acceptable?
Are you a U.S. citizen?

If you are, then car registration (from DMV) may be enough besides your ID and HSC card.

If not U.S. citizen, then you're SOL. You'll need more proof of residence like last 3 consecutive utility bills (water or electricity; don't know about gas, cable or phone, but NO cell phone bills, NO bank statement and NO Credit Card bills).
Old 03-17-2010, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
i swear they gave me that option in turners a while back when i asked.
When I bought my shotgun from Turner's back in October, that particular store told me a utility bill would not work and that I would need something only from the DMV showing my proof of residency. Since I had just moved and my CADL showed an old address (and my car registration showed my previous address), I had to to DMV (AAA) and get one of those brown temp address change cards, and just hand-write my new address in there and they accepted that. In fact, they specifically asked for that before I went to get it.

Not saying they gave me wrong info and that a utility bill could've worked, but some people may not know the exact laws or stores have different policies. Just something to be aware of if you run into this.
Old 03-17-2010, 9:59 AM

Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFJ80 View Post
When I bought my shotgun from Turner's back in October, that particular store told me a utility bill would not work and that I would need something only from the DMV showing my proof of residency. Since I had just moved and my CADL showed an old address (and my car registration showed my previous address), I had to to DMV (AAA) and get one of those brown temp address change cards, and just hand-write my new address in there and they accepted that. In fact, they specifically asked for that before I went to get it.

Not saying they gave me wrong info and that a utility bill could've worked, but some people may not know the exact laws or stores have different policies. Just something to be aware of if you run into this.
Interesting.

I've talked to friends who are Green Card Holders and they've told me that dealers want last 3 consecutive months in utility bills besides DMV proof of residency.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPFan View Post
Interesting.

I've talked to friends who are Green Card Holders and they've told me that dealers want last 3 consecutive months in utility bills besides DMV proof of residency.
yes, that is federal law that requires Aliens to show 3 months of residency. That is covered on the 4473.

As for CA's POR requirements, look at the official regulations. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf That explains what CADOJ says is valid POR. Now, you will run into FFLs that will accept stuff that is not acceptable to CADOJ, such as hunting/fishing licenses and cellphone bills, and not accept stuff that CADOJ says is acceptable, but that is a good starting point.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 AM

hmmmm I never though about having proof of residency besides a DL! Comes from living in the same place for so long I guess. I went to fill out the C&R application and they wanted my last 3 addresses and I only have two ever.
Old 03-17-2010, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi2451 View Post
They also told me my CCW wouldn't work.
They were wrong...

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf

d. "Other evidence of residency as permitted by the Department of Justice" means either of the following:
1. A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
Old 03-17-2010, 2:40 PM

The only thing that worked for me was a car registration as I had just moved a few weeks prior and didn't have an updated drivers license. I own a car with my girlfriend but her name was on the registration so I had to go get my name added to it, which worked to purchase my firearm (they would not accept any tax forms, bills, letters, ect...State would but Federal would not).

Here's a cool tip: if you belong to AAA just go to your nearest AAA office and they can handle this for you (I think it costs about $10, it's been awhile so I could be off by a buck or two). No line, no cranky DMV employees and no appointment needed. Also when you do the registration thing you can add yourself to the registration with "OR" instead of "AND", this keeps options flexible with the registration in the future so you aren't both required to sign documents and such.

Last edited by Demonfart; 03-17-2010 at 2:41 PM.. Reason: cuz I r a bad spelllerr
Old 03-17-2010, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgunz View Post
CCW
Yea cause I'm sure he has one, given that he's not even 21

Residential lease agreement between you and your parents or whoever you rent fromshould work. I've never had to get it notarized.
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 03-17-2010, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPFan View Post
Are you a U.S. citizen?

If not U.S. citizen, then you're SOL. You'll need more proof of residence like last 3 consecutive utility bills (water or electricity; don't know about gas, cable or phone, but NO cell phone bills, NO bank statement and NO Credit Card bills).
I guess it depends upon who is minding the store. just came back from T&A Armory who told me that to use my elec. bill, they had to have 3 months worth of bills and of course I am a US citizen, so they were probably confused. I knew that wasn't correct, but the guy was cool about it and told me I could fax them back. I will either fax them to him or send him the statute.

I guess my only point is that lots of folks think they know what the regs require and lots of folks are wrong.
Old 03-17-2010, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorhard View Post
Yea cause I'm sure he has one, given that he's not even 21.

I stand corrected; what was I thinking?

http://sheriff.co.sutter.ca.us/div/support/ccw.aspx?gi

Concealed Weapon Permits

Issuance Criteria For Permit Applicants

* Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.

Not all are this nice but they do exist.
Old 03-17-2010, 5:23 PM

Because Rowland heights is in Sutter county...
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 03-17-2010, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorhard View Post
Because Rowland heights is in Sutter county...
Haha, you've got a point. A CCW is nowhere near a possibility, especially here in LA County.

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 03-17-2010, 6:06 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeypunch0420 View Post
+1 on the Lease Agreement. I just printed one off the net, filled it out and had my folks sign it. Turner's had no problem with it, even though it wasn't notarized. I think each shop has different rules about that though so ask first.
For some reason I get the feeling that admitting to falsifying your proof of residency docs to purchase a gun on a public forum that is known to be read by law enforcement is not the brightest idea

Unless you actually live with your mom still? You have to be 21 to buy a handgun so if so that is pretty sad
Old 03-17-2010, 6:13 PM

Voter registration Card...
Old 03-17-2010, 6:19 PM

Bring a marijuana plant with mature roots to show it was fertilized by you in California soil.
Old 03-17-2010, 6:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eroland7 View Post
Voter registration Card...
From the DOJ's website. Voter reg card is not listed.

What documentation is acceptable to demonstrate proof of residency for handgun purchasers?

■Utility bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual's name and either of the following:
1.The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form

or

2.The individual's residential address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Utility bill" means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone connection or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection) or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device.

■Residential lease that bears the individual's name and either of the following:
1.The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form
or

2.The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Residential lease" means either of the following:

A.A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant)agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time
or

B.A signed and dated rental agreement by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary sum or provide other consideration at fixed intervals for the right to occupy an abode.
■Property deed the bears the individual's name and either of the following:
or

2.The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
"Property deed" means either or the following:

A.A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust
or

B.A valid Certificate of title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.
■Current, government-issued license, permit, or registration, other than a CA Driver License or CA Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
or

2.The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.
Examples of acceptable proof of residency:

1.Current DMV registrations.
2.Electricity, gas, cable bill with purchaser's name onit from within the last 3 months.
3.Signed, dated and notarized rental agreement/contract.

Examples of documents that are NOT acceptable proof of residency:

1.Hunting or fishing license (these documents are not issued by the government).
2.Cellular phone bill.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 03-17-2010, 6:46 PM

Tax documents or W2s work also. Also, student enrollment verification will work too.
REDACTED
Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
For some reason I get the feeling that admitting to falsifying your proof of residency docs to purchase a gun on a public forum that is known to be read by law enforcement is not the brightest idea

Unless you actually live with your mom still? You have to be 21 to buy a handgun so if so that is pretty sad
if he still lives at home, it ain't lying.

if he lives on his own, his apartment rental agreement would have done, and he wouldn't need ideas to get a POR.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I've got more than one form of POR, so I should be good to go

www.theshootersblog.com
Old 03-18-2010, 7:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoost View Post
Tax documents or W2s work also. Also, student enrollment verification will work too.
Nope, not acceptable by California law, see my post above. One reason to get an 03FFL, pretty good POR for only 10$ a year.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.