Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-21-2018, 8:13 AM

I have a Beretta Tomcat model 3032. It is very small with a tip up barrel that, if you want to, makes it easy to load without racking the slide. It takes a .380 caliber.

Rich

Last edited by Uscband79; 07-21-2018 at 8:13 AM.. Reason: Add text.
Old 07-21-2018, 8:39 AM

Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380.
Old 07-21-2018, 8:41 AM

The smallest, lightest pocket pistol I could find in a caliber I feel confident in is the Ruger LCP.
I carried a S&W 442/642 for years, got a Glock 42 & 43 but still carry the LCP. I have a Seecamp32 that is smaller but heavier when fully loaded than the LCP, and also has a less desire able caliber.
I don't mind the heavier longer trigger or the longer reset of the LCP.
Old 07-22-2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uscband79 View Post
I have a Beretta Tomcat model 3032. It is very small with a tip up barrel that, if you want to, makes it easy to load without racking the slide. It takes a .380 caliber.

Rich
Wasnít aware they made one in .380? Mine is .32
Old 07-22-2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
very light weight easy to carry, try a colt 1908 vest pocket in .25
I think if you find a used older one it can be shipped even though off roster.
I have and carry one from 1911 runs flawlessly. carry it mostly when I wear very light shorts with no belt
Second that as you can see from my profile pic Mine is from 1929. The .25 ACP cartridge was actually created for this very pistol by John Browning.

Another very light .25 ACP is the Beretta 950 Jetfire. It weighs even less than the Colt Vest Pocket and also holds an additional 2 rounds at 8+1.
Old 07-22-2018, 2:43 PM

This is the exact reason the LCP is so popular.

Some choose the Kel Tec or Taurus TCP. But all similar in design and weight.

Read up on LCPs and size and weight praised. Just like on here and everywhere else. Though off roster, they come up in private party sales often.
Old 07-22-2018, 2:48 PM

Is there a reason Bersa .380s haven't been mentioned?
Old 07-22-2018, 2:51 PM

S&W 642
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-642
CRPA Member
Old 07-22-2018, 4:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
Ruger LCP. I absolutely love mine. Shoots well, 100% reliable, light and tiny. It packs the same firepower as a Glock 42 in the size of a Kel-tec P32.
Same here.. I carry an LCP and I almost forget it's there.. I run a MIC holster and Clipdraw.. it's about as minimalist as you can get. I even +1'd the magazine
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 07-22-2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmo View Post
Bersa Thunders run about 20oz unloaded. While a fine pistol in its own right, you can find a 9mm in that weight and size range for the pocket.
Old 07-22-2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Bersa Thunders run about 20oz unloaded. While a fine pistol in its own right, you can find a 9mm in that weight and size range for the pocket.
Thank you. Then for that reason I guess I might want to eliminate it from my 'want list'.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I pocket carry my 238 all the time, I barely notice it's there.Not once have I said "I wish this was less fun to shoot and lesser quality but weighed a couple ounces less"
I'm considering a P238 but leaning toward a 642 instead for this role...any drawbacks you've noticed with pocket carry? I'm mostly concerned about lint/dirt getting stuck somewhere it prevents a "bang".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equitymind View Post
Off-roster, if still in production.
Old 07-23-2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equitymind View Post
I think that is a mistake. It takes .32 ACP
Old 07-24-2018, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery_Milk View Post
I haven't had a chance to try the Kahr P380 yet, but on paper it's very compact and light. Although some people claim Kahrs are unreliable.
I frequently carry a P380 and consider it reliable. At first I was skeptical, so before even shooting it for the first time, I disassembled it with the intention of cleaning up any poor workmanship. But really, the gun was pretty good right out of the box. The extractor seemed tight, but I haven't found the need to adjust it. I did put in a Lakeline striker, just because I "read it on the internet." I also put in a Magguts kit into one magazine, for an added round. Although the follower looks odd, I think it's better than stock.

The gun has been perfectly reliable, with the exception of some 20+ year old reloads I had laying around and new Fiocchi. Fiocchi doesn't play well with the tight extractor.

The trigger is a bit small for my 10.5 sized hands. It's not irritating or painful, nor is it unexpected on such a tiny pistol.
Old 07-24-2018, 5:19 AM

Sorry, I meant .32 in the Beretta Tomcat. Don't know why I said 380. I know better. Brain fart!

Rich
Old 07-24-2018, 9:23 AM
CGN Contributor

Baby Browning, give it a look. Darn near fits in a pair of Levi's watch pocket.

Here I am.

"I'm for Hoffa until they pat my face with a shovel and steal my cufflinks." Frank Sheerin
Old 07-25-2018, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTII View Post
Carry whatever you want. https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/m...d-package.html

You do not want to carry a gun in your pocket without some form of holster. The holster will also add weight. The light fabric of a pair of sweats is going to create other issues when you are trying to draw your pistol from sweats. Namely, you may end up pulling everything out. A belly band would eliminate all those issues.
Agree with statements about light loose fitting clothing. Not so sure about why not to carry in a pocket without a holster. What, a holster somehow makes it safer? I would argue the opposite...fiddling with getting it out of a holster takes longer than a quick pull and is potentially more dangerous. A holster inside a pocket would only be for protecting the gun, not me.

The LC9 was first shown to me by a retired LEO which he carries in a ankle holster. Hence, I have a couple of LC9s (2s) and they don't go off unless you pull the trigger. They are light, have all smooth contours making them easy to draw, and are accurate enough for up close self defense situations. The Pro has a safety, if you're worried about it somehow going off by itself.

The P938 and Micro 9 are both very very nice pistols, but SA 1911 style. Probably not your thing when jogging though. Too nice...what if it fell out of your pocket and got scratched!? LoL. Super accurate, and the Crimson grip on my Micro 9 is ridiculous. Firing from chest height with laser I can unload a whole magazine into a 6" circle at 15' firing every 1.5 seconds. Both are 16 oz, same as LCR.

16oz is the best your gonna do in a 9.

Last edited by Tahoeshooter; 07-25-2018 at 6:41 AM..
Old 07-25-2018, 6:53 AM

Another vote for the Kahr P380. Great little gun with an outstanding DA trigger. Get one with night sights, they're worth it. Mine has functioned flawlessly since new.
Old 07-25-2018, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoeshooter View Post
Agree with statements about light loose fitting clothing. Not so sure about why not to carry in a pocket without a holster. What, a holster somehow makes it safer?
A pocket holster performs two critical functions: (1) it orients the gun so that the pistol grip is the first thing you grab when you reach into your pocket; and, (2) it covers the trigger. It also breaks up the gun's outline so others do not know you are carrying.

The reason you are carrying a gun is because you think you might use it. If you have to use it, your pulse will be racing, your fine muscle control will be gone, and you will be groping, ham handedly, for a loaded gun in your pocket. If the gun happened to reorient itself in your pocket such that the barrel end is pointing out, you could very easily shoot yourself as you jam your hand into your pocket. A pocket holster will eliminate that possibility.

Quote:
I would argue the opposite...fiddling with getting it out of a holster takes longer than a quick pull and is potentially more dangerous. A holster inside a pocket would only be for protecting the gun, not me.
In practice, a form fitting pocket holster comes right off when the gun is drawn. They are designed that way. They are designed to hook on the edge of the pocket and either stay in the pocket or fall off outside. There are even versions that fasten to the belt.

Quote:
The LC9 was first shown to me by a retired LEO which he carries in a ankle holster. Hence, I have a couple of LC9s (2s) and they don't go off unless you pull the trigger. They are light, have all smooth contours making them easy to draw, and are accurate enough for up close self defense situations. The Pro has a safety, if you're worried about it somehow going off by itself.
Notice, you started by saying the retired LEO carried his LC9s in an ankle holster. Ask him if he advocates carrying in your pocket without a holster and see what he says. It was a LEO on this board that lead me to buy my first j-frame pocket holster. A Robert Mika holster. https://mikaspocketholsters.com/prod...r/#prettyPhoto Mr. Mika is a former LEO. His holsters are light, inexpensive, and they do work as advertised. Try one, I think you'll like it.
Old 07-25-2018, 9:38 AM

Big plus 1 for Mika pocket holsters. I really like my Beretta Tomcat, itís been perfectly reliable, and it rides in a Mika. Robert is also a great guy to deal with, I also have his holsters for my 642 and Seecamp (RIP Larry).

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmo View Post
Too heavy for me.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
The smallest, lightest pocket pistol I could find in a caliber I feel confident in is the Ruger LCP.
I carried a S&W 442/642 for years, got a Glock 42 & 43 but still carry the LCP. I have a Seecamp32 that is smaller but heavier when fully loaded than the LCP, and also has a less desire able caliber.
I don't mind the heavier longer trigger or the longer reset of the LCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Same here.. I carry an LCP and I almost forget it's there.. I run a MIC holster and Clipdraw.. it's about as minimalist as you can get. I even +1'd the magazine
Same here, +1.