Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-29-2017, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Default Firefox running really slow lately

Both on my corporate laptop as well as my home PC, both loaded with Windows 7. I noticed this about a week or two ago - the address bar drop-down "hangs" before showing the recent/frequently used URL's, and pages are loading slower and freezing for a second or two.

Anyone else having this problem? Did they push a crappy update out recently? Any ideas/suggestions?

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 08-30-2017, 6:15 AM

Clear cache and check for rouge BHO's
There's a free copy of Malwarebytes available that might help,, also would advise full virus scan.
Old 08-31-2017, 4:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Flash and scripts seem to require FF to be closed and reopened to clear memory-leaks.
Old 09-09-2017, 2:57 AM

I also ran into this problem. Firefox running really slow lately on the home PC. It really hinders my work. I work as a web designer for one company https://www.boldwebagency.com/. I create various logos, website design, and general concept. Although I do not often work at home, it still creates discomfort for me. What can you tell me? Re-install the system?
Old 09-09-2017, 10:23 AM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

I bounce around between Firefox and the evil Google Chrome. My Firefox had been very slow as well. The most recent update this past week seems to have resolved the slowness. Trying updating Firefox.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:29 AM

Same here. Recent updates have nearly crippled it. I'm using adblock and scriptblock which take a good amount of horsepower but I've never had issues like I've seeing recently.

Weve lost the battle on what the Second Amendment means. Seventy-five
percent of the public thinks its an individual right. Why are we
arguing a theory anymore? We are concerned about what we can do
practically.

Join the NRA!!
Old 09-09-2017, 10:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Running Version 55.0.3 64 Bit and started noticing lagging/freezing behavior in the last two weeks. Also seeing vertical green column/distorted color in YouTube videos. IIRC, there were two Firefox updates in this period.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

I suggest using the FlashStopper add-on to FF.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ran free Malwarebytes scan - didn't find any issues.
Old 09-10-2017, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Anyone try the EME-free versions?

https://encrypted.google.com/search?...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/55.0.3/
Old 10-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Opera
Linux

I gave upbon windows and firesnail
Old 10-15-2017, 11:17 PM

Before the 56.0 update my firefox would slow down after about a day of use. Seems to be running fine since the update.
Old 10-16-2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Both on my corporate laptop as well as my home PC, both loaded with Windows 7. I noticed this about a week or two ago - the address bar drop-down "hangs" before showing the recent/frequently used URL's, and pages are loading slower and freezing for a second or two.

Anyone else having this problem? Did they push a crappy update out recently? Any ideas/suggestions?
After the 55 update, I had issues loading pages (sometimes a blank page until I hit refresh), random hangups when scrolling and sluggishness when typing text on web pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Flash and scripts seem to require FF to be closed and reopened to clear memory-leaks.
Thought that was the issue as well since FF is known to have memory leaks. However after open/closing a few times and the issues still persisting, it had to be a Firefox issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
Same here. Recent updates have nearly crippled it. I'm using adblock and scriptblock which take a good amount of horsepower but I've never had issues like I've seeing recently.
Update 55 really slowed down Firefox and I use Adblock as well. Update 56 seems to have fixed the issues/bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Ran free Malwarebytes scan - didn't find any issues.
Firefox was running so slow I swore I got a virus or something. A scan with MSE didn't find anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post
Before the 56.0 update my firefox would slow down after about a day of use. Seems to be running fine since the update.
The 56.0.1 update seems to have fixed most of the performance issues. Beats me what the issue was but that seems to have fixed it.

We'll cover you if it doesn't work out...
Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

It looks like the last 32 bit Firefox update installs the x64 version, if running a 64 bit OS, so it can suck your memory dry with flash mem-leaks...

I do notice it last longer between requirements to close and reopen due to these leaks though.
Old 10-19-2017, 7:52 AM
Calguns Addict

There also is a known FF problem with hardware acceleration with the latest FF.

I had severe lag after my latest update. Turning off hardware acceleration solved it.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 11-01-2017, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

Update and restart...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 11-01-2017, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

I used to really like it; but it became so slow for me. I use Chrome for the most part now. Or even Dolphin.
Old 11-02-2017, 4:55 AM
Calguns Addict

FF goes on a tangent of a few bad updates until they figure out what is wrong, then they have a few great updates, then back to the issues again.

I prefer the issues to Chrome remembering your Gmail login, even if incognito, OR BEING "HELPFUL" and dropping your HOME pr0n bookmarks in your WORK rig for you... automagically.

I won't login to Chrome with a Gmail account at work any more, and Firefox I only login in private windows or tabs, and gmail account does NOT get remembered, last I checked.
Old 11-02-2017, 3:35 PM

FWIW, Firefox has run slow for me for 3+ years. Still use it on occasion but I've converted to Chrome (for both Win 7 & Win 10).

Also, I've found Adobe Flash to often cause crashes or slow-downs when using FF.

Feed a man a fish, he eats for a day (Democrat).
Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime (Republican).
Old 11-15-2017, 3:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Good News?
"The new Firefox. Fast for good.

Today we’re thrilled to introduce you to our brand new browser — Firefox Quantum.

What you’ll notice first is that the new Firefox is blazing fast. In fact, you’ll enjoy speeds up to twice as fast as a year ago. It’s also more powerful. We’ve rebuilt Firefox from the ground up to focus on how you use the Web today to watch, listen, create and play without limits. We’re excited to deliver a browser that feels completely different — modern, quick and efficient. We think you’ll agree: It’s a quantum leap forward in how you’ll experience the Internet.

When you use Firefox, you’re also contributing to a movement to ensure the Internet remains a global public resource, open and accessible to all. As an independent, not-for-profit organization, we’ve been committed since 2003 to building products that put you in control of your online life and advancing open technology and public policy that promote a healthier Internet. We put you at the center of everything we do.

On behalf of Mozilla’s global community, we’re proud to introduce you to the new Firefox. Fast for good.

Chris Beard
CEO, Mozilla"

WE SHALL SEE.... as it just updated in the background last night.

Again, I prefer Firefox, as it does not keep Gmail tracking cookies in a private window, unlike Chrome seems to...

Last edited by the86d; 11-15-2017 at 4:39 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 4:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Digging in further:
"Version 57.0, first offered to Release channel users on November 14, 2017

Brace yourself for an all-new Firefox. It’s fast. Really fast. It’s over twice as fast as Firefox from 6 months ago, built on a completely overhauled core engine with brand new technology from our advanced research group, and graced with a clean, modern interface. Today is the first of several releases we’re calling Firefox Quantum, all designed to get to the things you love and the stuff you need faster than ever before. Experience the difference on desktops running Windows, macOS, and Linux; on Android, speed improvements are landing as well, and both Android and iOS have a new look and feel. To learn more about Firefox Quantum, visit the Mozilla Blog. "