Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 PM

Default Sac county CCWs - Jones says he will issue them for personal protection...

Scott Jones says unless you are excluded for certain reasons like drug / alcohol abuse or history of violence, he will consider Sacto County to be a shall issue county as long as training requirements and so forth are met.

Sacramento Black Rifle is supposed to be hosting a forum with Jones where residents can ask the candidate direcly. Check with them for details.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Scott Jones isn't the Sheriff yet. McGinness is. Do you know if the requirements for a Sacramento CCW have actually changed?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
Scott Jones isn't the Sheriff yet. McGinness is. Do you know if the requirements for a Sacramento CCW have actually changed?
The answer to this question is yes.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 PM

I was able to contact Amber with Gray's assistance. Thank you, Gray. I have an appointment set for August 5th.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
But good luck getting a reply from these guys (TBJ) when you actually do try to get a hold of them...
Unless we are away from our desks, we try to reply to every contact same day during the week, and within 48 hours at the weekend. Sometimes enquirers actually get two replies (one from BJ, one from me) and mostly the reply is within two hours during working hours.

For enquiries deserving a more complex answer, BJ will often reply with his telephone number and an invitation to call for discussions.

I'm not saying that people haven't slipped through the crack, but as far as I can tell it doesn't happen often.

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 06-30-2010, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock22Fan View Post
Unless we are away from our desks, we try to reply to every contact same day during the week, and within 48 hours at the weekend. Sometimes enquirers actually get two replies (one from BJ, one from me) and mostly the reply is within two hours during working hours.

For enquiries deserving a more complex answer, BJ will often reply with his telephone number and an invitation to call for discussions.

I'm not saying that people haven't slipped through the crack, but as far as I can tell it doesn't happen often.
Pffft! The one/only time I try to get a hold of you guys and it conveniently "slipped through the cracks".

But that's okay, based on the stuff I've read about the TBJ entity, I don't want a call anyway.
Old 06-30-2010, 2:14 PM

I had a friend tell me he believes Sacramento County has a 5 gun per permit restriction. Is this true?
Old 06-30-2010, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmaster View Post
I had a friend tell me he believes Sacramento County has a 5 gun per permit restriction. Is this true?
Don't know. Not really important at this time. What I would like to know is if they're requiring VOLREG of guns.
Old 06-30-2010, 2:44 PM

Quote:
The State of California CCW card (that Sac Co uses) only has lines for 5 guns (IIRC).
Old 06-30-2010, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I took the training a few years back for sh*ts and giggles and they allowed me to qualify with 3 guns only, which would be listed on my CCW if I ever got one. Not sure if there is an actual limit to the number, but I am pretty sure that any that are on the permit, need to be qualified with during training.
Old 06-30-2010, 3:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Don't know. Not really important at this time. What I would like to know is if they're requiring VOLREG of guns.
This. If ANY jurisdiction requires registration of a CCW firearm, please immediately contact us.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-30-2010, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Pffft! The one/only time I try to get a hold of you guys and it conveniently "slipped through the cracks".

But that's okay, based on the stuff I've read about the TBJ entity, I don't want a call anyway.
Don't know why you think it was convenient for us to ignore you; we don't work like that unless you were rude and antagonistic to start with.

And if you have now decided that it's a good job we didn't reply as, apparently, you now think our advice is worthless, then please stop continously moaning about it every time you see us mentioned in this and other threads.

Old 06-30-2010, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I can't speak to the fairness of this comment. I have missed PM's and emails and completely spaced. Until you actually pay them for investigative and legal representation, they have reason to want your business. Me, I'm doing it for free.

Quote:
If you're in Sacramento, considering events here, you don't need to. Just follow the advice that you were PM'd.
Old 06-30-2010, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I can't speak to the fairness of this comment. I have missed PM's and emails and completely spaced. Until you actually pay them for investigative and legal representation, they have reason to want your business. Me, I'm doing it for free.
Actually, I don't think that we've ever had a paying client through any web forum, unless they have approached us without disclosing their origin. Subject to that comment, we think that 100% of our paying clients come either by recommendation or through our website. We are the top listed non-advertising Google website for "California concealed firearm permits" (and similar phrases) and were so within a few weeks of opening. Advice offered here is considered to be pro-bono.

And I've personally never had a cent out of anyone for it whatsoever. I'm in it to forward the movement.

Last edited by Glock22Fan; 06-30-2010 at 4:16 PM..
Old 06-30-2010, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Actually, I don't think that we've ever had a paying client through any web forum, unless they have approached us without disclosing their origin. Subject to that comment, we think that 100% of our paying clients come either by recommendation or through our website. We are the top listed non-advertising Google website for "California concealed firearm permits" (and similar phrases) and were so within a few weeks of opening. Advice offered here is considered to be pro-bono.

And I've personally never had a cent out of anyone for it whatsoever. I'm in it to forward the movement.
Want to point out here I was more responding to the comment the bronze made about "slipping through the cracks". I was pointing out why it is not in the best interest of TBJ to forget emails, considering the continual accusations of "TBJ just being in it for the money", which we both know that's not really true. It's just that TBJ's baliwick is geared toward existing California case law, unless this has changed since McDonald.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 06-30-2010 at 4:33 PM..
Old 06-30-2010, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Don't know why you think it was convenient for us to ignore you; we don't work like that unless you were rude and antagonistic to start with.

And if you have now decided that it's a good job we didn't reply as, apparently, you now think our advice is worthless, then please stop continously moaning about it every time you see us mentioned in this and other threads.
I wasn't moaning. I was letting people know that you guys talk a good game, but you're short on delivery. You're constantly telling people "email me/us", "contact me/us" and when I did, you guys ignored my email.

That's not moaning, my friend. That's letting people know the deal.
Old 06-30-2010, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
My letter is on the way.

Part of the application has you list all of your traffic violations. They want citation number, date, violations, issuing agency, court docket, and outcome. Good luck finding that info without some assistance; I did not want my application rejected on a technicality.

How far back?
Old 06-30-2010, 7:22 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
How far back?
5 years for traffic violations.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 06-30-2010, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Haas View Post
5 years for traffic violations.
Excellent!
Old 06-30-2010, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I emailed Billy Jack and got a reply from him within a few hours. I can't begin to know if it was like that for everyone but I got a quick and thorough reply. Perhaps you just got sent to the spam folder on accident? Or they meant to reply later and they forgot? I know I've forgotten to reply to emails before...it does happen. YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.
Old 06-30-2010, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I wasn't moaning. I was letting people know that you guys talk a good game, but you're short on delivery. You're constantly telling people "email me/us", "contact me/us" and when I did, you guys ignored my email.

That's not moaning, my friend. That's letting people know the deal.
We did not ignore it, that implies deliberate action. The only way we ignore people is if, after us replying once, your next email indicates you are indeed an idiot. As 7x57 says, some people get upset by that.

If we missed you the first time that was exceptional and accidental, and I have already apologized. Get a life and put it behind you.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
We did not ignore it, that implies deliberate action. The only way we ignore people is if, after us replying once, your next email indicates you are indeed an idiot. As 7x57 says, some people get upset by that.

If we missed you the first time that was exceptional and accidental, and I have already apologized. Get a life and put it behind you.
I didn't get a reply from you, thus you ignored it. Deliberate or not.

And no, I don't think I will.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Banned

Did somebody call for a whaambulance?

No read-receipt? Email didn't get delivered or read. Welcome to the internet.

Last edited by N6ATF; 07-01-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Old 07-01-2010, 5:11 AM
Calguns Addict

I heard they moved the office where you drop off the app. Anyone have the new location? I suppose I could get ahold of Amber again but it may be faster to just ask someone here if they know.
Old 07-01-2010, 7:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I didn't get a reply from you, thus you ignored it. Deliberate or not.

And no, I don't think I will.

Emails get lost. They get put in junk mail folders.

They might get accidently overlooked if there's a whole slew of other emails and junk mails around them. Bad office practice perhaps, but, hey, this is a voluntary effort. We didn't, and don't, actually owe you any attention whatsoever.

None of these are the same as "ignored", which implies that we considered your email and deliberately decided that you did not deserve a reply.

That never happened. There is no reason whatsoever why it should have happened.

You are taking a personal slight over something that never happened and suggesting stringly to other people, without any justification, that it will happen to them as well. You ignore my apologies.

Grow up and get a pair. Stop sulking in the corner of the schoolyard. "Mommy, Johnny ignored me! Bah-hoo!" How childish.

Old 07-01-2010, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
I heard they moved the office where you drop off the app. Anyone have the new location? I suppose I could get ahold of Amber again but it may be faster to just ask someone here if they know.
Per my phone conversation with her yesterday, you still check-in at the front dest at 711 G Street and she will come down and get you.
Old 07-01-2010, 9:19 AM
In Memoriam

This thread was very informative and educational. Thank you to those who contributed their experience and knowledge.
Old 07-01-2010, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Awesome. Thanks Jeremy.
Old 07-01-2010, 9:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Glock22 and TBJ have always responded fairly, lets drop the accusations since it is pretty obvious that sometimes messages get missed. I get so many PMs I can't keep up either.

As for the CCW permit, there are lines for 3 weapons, which is the only reason I can find for any county to restrict it to 3 weapons. This restriction bothers me a lot, I hope the future can implement a change to that. What does it matter which guns I carry? I like the Utah permit, much more professional. It's absurd that CA still hands out the rice paper permits.

I haven't heard of a Sheriff requiring registered guns. Is that really an issue somewhere?
Old 07-01-2010, 9:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
I haven't heard of a Sheriff requiring registered guns. Is that really an issue somewhere?
Yes, but not for long.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-01-2010, 9:57 AM

Quote:
As for the CCW permit, there are lines for 3 weapons, which is the only reason I can find for any county to restrict it to 3 weapons. This restriction bothers me a lot, I hope the future can implement a change to that. What does it matter which guns I carry? I like the Utah permit, much more professional. It's absurd that CA still hands out the rice paper permits.

The app has space for three guns, and it does state to use additional pages to add more if needed. Seems silly to restrict ti to particular guns. I could see an argument to qualify with revolvers or semiautomatics, but it's a weak one.

I have read in posts here and elsewhere that the Sheriff of some counties does verify that the gun listed is registered to the applicant, but those are of unknown age/reliability. I don't have links to them either, but will see if I can dig them up.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
The app has space for three guns, and it does state to use additional pages to add more if needed. Seems silly to restrict ti to particular guns. I could see an argument to qualify with revolvers or semiautomatics, but it's a weak one.

I have read in posts here and elsewhere that the Sheriff of some counties does verify that the gun listed is registered to the applicant, but those are of unknown age/reliability. I don't have links to them either, but will see if I can dig them up.
^^^ This ^^^

Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
In the Calif. application, I was required to list serial numbers. Whether they check it or not, I have no idea. But somehow I noticed when I took my interview, the Lt was holding a piece of paper that appear to list guns and serial numbers that I suspect were all mine .
Nevada do not list serial numbers just type and model.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2 View Post

snip

Nevada do not list serial numbers just type and model.
Type and model for semi-autos, just the words "Revolvers Authorized" if you have qualified with any wheel gun.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 PM

Angry How many times are we gonna be fooled by McGinness and now Jones

John McGinness has had over 3 years to change the policy. Scott Jones the self admitted "Chief of Staff" to McGinness wrote the current policy. Now I hear they are making it easier to get a CCW. Im a firm believer in Shall Issue. Changing you policy to get votes is offensive and dishonest.

The best predictor of the future, is the past...dont lie to us know Jones and think we are too dumb to figure it out...we have enough of that at the Federal and State level.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

No Spin,

Go apply using some variant of self-defense as good cause. Yes, it means you have to ignore political minutiae and rhetoric and actually submit your application.

If you're denied, PM or email me.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Spin View Post
The best predictor of the future, is the past...dont lie to us know Jones and think we are too dumb to figure it out...we have enough of that at the Federal and State level.
I believe if you read through this thread you will see that some of the posters here have recently been approved. Perhaps you are looking too far into the past for your purposes. It only costs $20 to try. It's a lot less hassle than getting on here to complain.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 07-01-2010, 1:03 PM
Banned

"Every penny is sacred and shall not be paid without a 100% guarantee it will not go to waste!"
Old 07-01-2010, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
. It only costs $20 to try. It's a lot less hassle than getting on here to complain.
Not even that, there are counties that will take your application without shelling out a penny until you are approved. I should know, been through it.
Old 07-01-2010, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Type and model for semi-autos, just the words "Revolvers Authorized" if you have qualified with any wheel gun.
Yes. Thanks for further clarification.