Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-08-2019, 1:58 PM

Get a 270 Win for your first IMO - nothing fancy. You can shoot it, you can hunt with it - you can take 90% of the game in the US with it. At wally world and most places you can find $0.80 or $0.86 cents per round.

Then - hone your skills and buy a precision rifle in what caliber you desire. Who knows, as you grow in the sport you might start reloading - then caliber wont be an issue.
Old 08-08-2019, 2:01 PM

Some of you guys are really smoking crack.. My completely stock Howa 1500 heavy barrel 308 (like the one on sale now) hits steel 10/10 times at 300yds. They are very accurate, solid rifles.
Old 08-08-2019, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Don't be in too much of a hurry to get a chassis. The Hogue stock it comes with is pillar bedded and the barrel is free floated. Plenty fine for 300 yards off a bench. If you want to shoot PRS/NRL where you have to build positions and like that you might want a chassis.
Too late. I'm a sucker for the cool factor of chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
Get a 270 Win for your first IMO - nothing fancy. You can shoot it, you can hunt with it - you can take 90% of the game in the US with it. At wally world and most places you can find $0.80 or $0.86 cents per round.

Then - hone your skills and buy a precision rifle in what caliber you desire. Who knows, as you grow in the sport you might start reloading - then caliber wont be an issue.
I'd prefer a one and done. I've been between the common 308 and the sleeker 6.5CM. I have a general understanding of each round's limits. A 6.5CM hits like 90% of what I'm looking for, and a 308 hits like 85% of what I'm looking for. Just the price wins here for me.
Old 08-08-2019, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

I bet Turner's will offer the exact same rifle in 6.5CM in a sale sometime this year.
Old 08-08-2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
I guess my point is, I'm eyeing for something different from .223, but nothing bigger than .308, and nothing more expensive than $2 per round. I was really eyeing 6.5CM, but .308 can be had for about $1 per round from the store.
6.5 Creedmoor can be had for around $1/round.

Hornady American Gunner 140 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail
MidwayUSA - $1.20/round
Target Sports USA - $0.80/round
Old 08-08-2019, 3:25 PM

If you go even cheaper, you can get S&B 6.5CM for around $0.65/round.

That makes it still less than $1 after shipping, CA tax and transfer fees if you buy in bulk.

It's S&B though.
Old 08-08-2019, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
I bet Turner's will offer the exact same rifle in 6.5CM in a sale sometime this year.
It would have to be a custom model just for Turner's. Since I dont see a comparable on the website from Howa. Only the chassis model is up there for $860.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperInExcretiaSumus View Post
If you go even cheaper, you can get S&B 6.5CM for around $0.65/round.

That makes it still less than $1 after shipping, CA tax and transfer fees if you buy in bulk.

It's S&B though.
Thankfully, I'm not a competitor, so I'm no that into it.
Old 08-08-2019, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
PSA puts FGMM on sale for 90 cents a round from time to time.
Old 08-08-2019, 4:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Too late. I'm a sucker for the cool factor of chassis.

I'd prefer a one and done. I've been between the common 308 and the sleeker 6.5CM. I have a general understanding of each round's limits. A 6.5CM hits like 90% of what I'm looking for, and a 308 hits like 85% of what I'm looking for. Just the price wins here for me.
The edge a 6.5CM has, is at 800 yards and over. At 300 the only edge is recoil.
Old 08-08-2019, 5:27 PM

I would very much like to just drop the money on a Ruger Precision Rifle in .338 Lepua w/26" barrel. I have a LMT in 6.5 Creedmoor semiautomatic but I want a bolt action rifle now since I am trying to get back into long distance shooting and I want to do 1200 yards at least.
To the OP...why not just look into one of those, hell even the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor comes in both 24" and 26". Either way, Turners has those right now on sale or rather they will go on sale tomorrow and they're in the new Fall Sale Flyer. Awesome price for that Howa though. I may even get one if I can...good luck...👍👍
Old 08-08-2019, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post
I would very much like to just drop the money on a Ruger Precision Rifle in .338 Lepua w/26" barrel. I have a LMT in 6.5 Creedmoor semiautomatic but I want a bolt action rifle now since I am trying to get back into long distance shooting and I want to do 1200 yards at least.
To the OP...why not just look into one of those, hell even the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor comes in both 24" and 26". Either way, Turners has those right now on sale or rather they will go on sale tomorrow and they're in the new Fall Sale Flyer. Awesome price for that Howa though. I may even get one if I can...good luck...����
RPR is too rich for me. I've been eyeing the Howa Chassis this point though, one and done. I mean, $300 rifle + 400 chassis + 50 stock. Comes close.

Long range semi auto was a consideration, but I'd be worried that I'd just keep pulling the trigger for fun factor.

Can't help but not think of the 6.5cm unfortunately. But big box store ammo availability also comes into play.

Maybe it'll give me an excuse to drive up to LA for a day and test 1000 yards there, or to Escondido near here if they still allow it.
Old 08-08-2019, 5:58 PM

If you go on turners website they have a tab in the middle to the right on the front page

It says CLOSEOUT FIREARMS , hit on it and a page of reduced price firearms for each store
Is shown . Check for what you want at a turners near you.

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
Old 08-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Just an update, got the Howa 1500 for 354 OTD. It is a heavy barrel, looks great for $350!
Old 08-09-2019, 2:11 PM

Good deal for that...I am unfortunately working and didn't have the time to stop by Turners to look at that one. Hopefully they will not sell out.
With that being said, since we're talking about precision rifles, is anyone familiar with the Howa Chassis rifle that is on sale at Turners. It's the one that's in the Fall Sale Flyer, page 19, mid way on the page on the right. It's on sale for $1199, comes with scope and bipod...is anyone familiar with this rifle. I may end up going this route instead of going for the RPR in 6.5cm or .338 lepua. I really like both of these two variants but I dont have any experience with the Howa. I figure if I'm gonna go all out, might as well shell out the extra $300-$400 for the RPR. Again but I really want to hear what you guys have to say about that Howa Chassis that's on sale for $1199.

Last edited by giaking70; 08-09-2019 at 3:35 PM..
Old 08-09-2019, 5:37 PM

I was just at Turners. They are sold out
Old 08-09-2019, 6:01 PM

I dont think the scope comes with the chassis as it doesn't indicated the scope specs at all in the ad. Could be wrong. That's a good deal considering the buttstock and bipod, but know that any item that comes with a rifle deal like that is going to be cheap and you would probably replace it, maybe. It all comes down to preference, like everything in life, and what you care to min and max on it. Plus you need to ask if the scope mount comes with it and if its 20 MOA Cant.

RPR is an awesome rifle and for me the weirdest criteria I wanted was the ability to have a folding stock. Precision rifle is not a cheap endeavor in any sense of the word but if you only want to stay in the sub 1k yd range you have a good economical selection to choose from. RPR has everything you want right out of the box. The glass is also a big factor. Can you get away with a 3x9 $300 scope? Sure. I've never been on the $$$$ dictates quality all the time bandwagon, but I slapped a $1k Burris XT2 Scope on it and feel I spent a good deal of time and money to be in an ok place.

You will prob want to reload for it. Every gun owner should know how to reload just because. Mine is 6.5cm and I'm happy with it but dont forget it's a ton of pressure and flame out of a .264 diameter barrel, the life is much shorter than say the .308 which could last 4x longer.

Cheaper, stocked rifles will get what you want. You want the cool factor either the RPR or HOWA would be just fine. Just know you will be spending a lot of extra cash on it.
Old 08-09-2019, 6:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Savage.

https://www.savagearms.com/
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 08-10-2019, 7:49 AM
Veteran Member

Reticles look roughly the same. Going to assume nothing special except for those that are serious about precision?

Some great prices on that site. I've been comparing gen2 around to amazon and optics planet. First gen PST can be has for under 600 on Optics planet as well.

Last edited by BucDan; 08-10-2019 at 8:02 AM..
Old 08-10-2019, 7:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have factory rem 700 in 6.5 creedmoor, and I'm hitting everything out to 1000... Most rifles nowadays are accurate enough to hit anything. The rifle will shoot, the biggest variable is the shooter and how much they influence the shot. Grab a barreled action for 500$, throw it in a mdt oryx chassis for $400, and go shoot.
Old 08-10-2019, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
I have factory rem 700 in 6.5 creedmoor, and I'm hitting everything out to 1000... Most rifles nowadays are accurate enough to hit anything. The rifle will shoot, the biggest variable is the shooter and how much they influence the shot. Grab a barreled action for 500$, throw it in a mdt oryx chassis for $400, and go shoot.
Got a $300 howa heavy barrel in 308. Looking for a chassis that I like, eyeing a $700-800 optic, rings and base are like another $200? All of this to shoot 300, maybe 800, and maybe 1000. But hey, at least I'll like it.
Old 08-10-2019, 8:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Look at the mdt oryx. It's only $400 and has a ton of adjustability. You are looking to be able to customize and for the gun to you, it's about being comfortable.
Old 08-10-2019, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

Not to sound ridiculous, but I dont like the looks of the Oryx. I have a few favorites.
Old 08-10-2019, 1:58 PM

Are any of the Turners sold out on those $300 Howa rifles yet? I am on 12 hour shift for this whole weekend, Turners not open when I leave for work, and they certainly not open when I get off work...
Old 08-10-2019, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post
Are any of the Turners sold out on those $300 Howa rifles yet? I am on 12 hour shift for this whole weekend, Turners not open when I leave for work, and they certainly not open when I get off work...
Apparently about 300 sold so far, in terms of deposits.
Old 08-10-2019, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not to sound ridiculous, but I dont like the looks of the Oryx. I have a few favorites.
Keep in mind that not every chassis comes in a Howa inlet.
Old 08-10-2019, 7:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Keep in mind that not every chassis comes in a Howa inlet.
Understood, seems that everyone caters more to the Remington 700 action. I'm eyeing XLR, MDT, and Accurate Mag, but down the road. Feels weird buying a $500 chassis for a gun that I paid $300 for. Is that normal? I've already have the Vortex PST Gen 2 on order. Trying to wrap my head around the rings and mount, but I think I might just opt for the Vortex brands as well.

Last edited by BucDan; 08-10-2019 at 7:34 PM..
Old 08-10-2019, 10:21 PM

Congratulations OP! Despite the two page passing match here, it sounds like a hell of a rifle for the money.

I'm just diving into precision rifles myself. But from what I've seen that does not seem unusual. The stock/chassis seems to be the thing people spend the most time and money on. Makes sense, to me anyway, if you think about. Folks like to change out actions, barrels etc. But the stock/chassis is what you really handle. So how that fits you is really of paramount importance.

Sounds like a great score. Have fun with it.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 08-10-2019 at 10:23 PM..
Old 08-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Congrats! I went with the Seekins Precision 20 MOA, but that's because I had the R700 pattern action. I also went with the Seekins 30mm rings, for that scope, Seekins actually makes the "Vortex" branded rings, so it should just depend on who you can find cheaper. Seekins/Vortex will not require lapping of the rings.

Talley makes a 20 MOA picatinney base for the Howa short action:

https://www.amazon.com/Talley-Picati.../dp/B07RL3X5BZ
Old 08-11-2019, 5:52 AM

OP, I would suggest you check out the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP scope. For $350, I think it is a terrific “trainer” precision scope, and I have been very impressed with it, even compared to other scopes I have that are 3-4X the price. Also Warne makes a very solid one piece mount with a 20moa base built-in for about $80. This would be a nice, functional, and affordable setup for a first precision rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2019, 7:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
Congratulations OP! Despite the two page passing match here, it sounds like a hell of a rifle for the money.

I'm just diving into precision rifles myself. But from what I've seen that does not seem unusual. The stock/chassis seems to be the thing people spend the most time and money on. Makes sense, to me anyway, if you think about. Folks like to change out actions, barrels etc. But the stock/chassis is what you really handle. So how that fits you is really of paramount importance.

Sounds like a great score. Have fun with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperInExcretiaSumus View Post
Congrats! I went with the Seekins Precision 20 MOA, but that's because I had the R700 pattern action. I also went with the Seekins 30mm rings, for that scope, Seekins actually makes the "Vortex" branded rings, so it should just depend on who you can find cheaper. Seekins/Vortex will not require lapping of the rings.

Talley makes a 20 MOA picatinney base for the Howa short action:

https://www.amazon.com/Talley-Picati.../dp/B07RL3X5BZ
Thanks guys. Pretty excited about it all. I just ordered Vortex rings to go with the Vortex PST Gen 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty99 View Post
OP, I would suggest you check out the Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP scope. For $350, I think it is a terrific “trainer” precision scope, and I have been very impressed with it, even compared to other scopes I have that are 3-4X the price. Also Warne makes a very solid one piece mount with a 20moa base built-in for about $80. This would be a nice, functional, and affordable setup for a first precision rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I already got the Vortex PST Gen 2 for $700. I don't think I'll build another unless it's a semi auto. So I'm really aiming for "bang for your buck ++" in terms of value and quality. Not only that, I dont have any interest in attempting further than 1000 yards should I get the opportunity.

I might just get the MDT base with 20 MOA as I'm eyeing an MDT chassis. Just to match.
Old 08-11-2019, 5:48 PM

The salesman at the Turners in San Marcos gave me some bunk information Friday night. The store was sold out but they were still accepting deposits on the Howa 308 Heavy Barrel as of about 11:00am this morning.
I put down a deposit. This is only the 2nd rifle I have bought, after my Escort 22, so I am pretty excited to get something with a little more “pop” to it.
Old 08-11-2019, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscreature View Post
The salesman at the Turners in San Marcos gave me some bunk information Friday night. The store was sold out but they were still accepting deposits on the Howa 308 Heavy Barrel as of about 11:00am this morning.
I put down a deposit. This is only the 2nd rifle I have bought, after my Escort 22, so I am pretty excited to get something with a little more “pop” to it.
Sounds about right. Each store had about 6 on hand. So about 20 stores, 120 total rifles. They said they had 600 in total to sell from the stores and warehouse. So there's that. I'm sure they expected demand to be high for this rifle.
Old 08-13-2019, 8:10 PM

Finally get a day off tomorrow after 5/12 hour shifts all weekend. I am gonna swing by Turners and see what I can look at in their precision rifles. I really dont wanna burn any money right now, but those RPRs, Howas are all on sale right now and I just wanna go look.

Yeah right, I'm gonna get one of those in my hand and I'm gonna be like Gene Wilder from Willy Wonka..."Hold your breath...make a wish... count to three....Come with me, and you'll be...in a world of pure imagination..."

Damm, showing my age now....����
Old 08-14-2019, 9:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's the goal as well, build into a chassis.
The money saved NOT buying a 700 design is lost once you go chassis shopping.
There are so many more options for 700's than all other actions combined that 700 chassis have become a commodity and the market has lowered the price on them.
Chassis systems for non-700's fetch a premium and the selection is much more limited.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 08-14-2019, 9:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It would have to be a custom model just for Turner's.
Since I dont see a comparable on the website from Howa.
Turner's is owned by the same group of investors as Legacy Sports.
Legacy Sports is the company that imports Howa.

http://www.wonews.com/t-SCUpdateNews...er-061109.aspx

You see stuff sold by Turners that's not cataloged specifically on the Howa website or offered to other distributors so that other shops can not compete with turners.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 08-14-2019, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The money saved NOT buying a 700 design is lost once you go chassis shopping.
There are so many more options for 700's than all other actions combined that 700 chassis have become a commodity and the market has lowered the price on them.
Chassis systems for non-700's fetch a premium and the selection is much more limited.
What are a couple of good Remington chassis that are less than $400? I have a couple 700s that are very accurate reliable guns despite all the internet whining that Remington is garbage. But I do think the Howa trigger is pretty nice out of the box. I couldnt find any chassis under $400 for the Remington 700 except for the magpul hunter which im not interested in. All the chassis I looked at for the Howa were the same price as the Remington, anywhere from $400 to $1000. No doubt if I was going to build a custom rifle from scratch I would go with a 700 action.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 08-14-2019 at 9:41 AM..
Old 08-14-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
What are a couple of good Remington chassis that are less than $400? I have a couple 700s that are very accurate reliable guns despite all the internet whining that Remington is garbage. But I do think the Howa trigger is pretty nice out of the box. I couldnt find any chassis under $400 for the Remington 700 except for the magpul hunter which im not interested in. All the chassis I looked at for the Howa were the same price as the Remington, anywhere from $400 to $1000. No doubt if I was going to build a custom rifle from scratch I would go with a 700 action.
Rem 700 Chassis under $400:
1. KRG Bravo
2. MDT Oryx
3. MDT LSS/LSS XL
4. XLR Element

Rem 700 Chassis you could get for about $400-600 used if you looked hard enough
1. KRG Wiskey
2. KRG Xray
3. MDT ESS
4. MPA BA
5. XLR Envy
6. Cadex Nuke
7. Non folder JP APAC
8. AI AT(maybe AX)

to be honest, the chassis will be one of the least expensive components in a precision rifle build.
items that will easily be more expensive:
- Scope
- Barrel + chamber + muzzle break
- Custom action
- Ammo + reloading stuff
- Chronograph + Kestrel + range finder
Old 08-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmlook View Post
Rem 700 Chassis under $400:
1. KRG Bravo
2. MDT Oryx
3. MDT LSS/LSS XL
4. XLR Element
Those are all available for the Howa 1500 at the same prices as for the R700. I thought there were suppossed to be more options for the 700 that cost significantly less than the Howa? Im not seeing that. The KRG Bravo is $50 less for the R700 but like you said thats really a drop in the bucket when you take other things into account.

I found an Accurate-Mag Sport Tact Lite chassis used like new on ebay for $350. I think I would have a hard time finding a comparable R700 chassis for less than $350. This is the same chassis that comes on the Howa HCR. MSRP is $425 without a stock for either action. I picked up an XLR Tactical Lite stock for $150 used on ebay to pair with it. So far Im in: $300 action + $350 chassis + $150 buttstock = $800. I think thats pretty dang good considering other chassis guns start at $1,000-$1,200 on sale. Oh yeah, and I saved on sales tax and free shipping buying from fleabay too.
https://accurate-mag.com/shop/chassi...hassis-system/

There is a Howa chassis gun on sale for $869 but I didnt want that style chassis or stock. So I ended up paying less for the stock and chassis that I wanted by sourcing the main components seperately.
https://www.turners.com/howa/howa-m1...e-308-w-475571

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 08-14-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Old 08-14-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
So I am now looking at giving this a go. Did some light research and saw that Turners was going to have a sale soon so it might be a good time to jump in.

What is everyone's opinion on the Howa M1500 Tactical on sale, front page of their Fall flyer?

What about the Remington 783?

The R700 is a bit of a stretch, eyeing $500 ball park. Not trying to get .5 MOA.

I saw that some of the gun come in .308 or 6.5cm, but cost per round is a factor as I won't be reloading.

Thoughts? Likely only going out to 300yards. I know I could just use a .223 and call it a day, but I kinda already can do that with an AR. Just want something different and capable to add to the collection.

I already do have a Swiss K31 I take out every now and then, but that's more of a collector's thing with irons.
The Howa is a good deal in the ad, especially for 300 yds.
The other good deal is the Seaguar fluorocarbon leader for 20% off on the 3rd page.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
The edge a 6.5CM has, is at 800 yards and over. At 300 the only edge is recoil.
Higher BC bullets moving faster are more intrinsically accurate at all distances.