Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Lol it is appreciated.

Btw Mute is a great guy. He def has his head on straight. Have gone to him with questions or advice a few times over the years.

I also agree with the discussing stuff, it’s fun. If we had a perfect simple answer for everything, these forums would be pretty boring.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofois View Post
I think once we start pretending to know how much people are actually thinking about something then at that point yes we are overthinking things. Mute is probably overthinking what people actually give a poop about. Maybe he meant "over discussing" but it takes very little thought to drop a bubble level on a rifle then on a scope. Took me minutes so it's a non issue but yes there was some arguments so maybe it's better to say "don't over argue" a non issue. For me forums are for discussing and thinking and over thinking since it's hobby and hobbies are for spending time on things that don't necessarily generate money but just take time =). It's better not to say anything if one has nothing to add other than being negative

Funny I just realized it was you HKDave who just commented and I was thinking I was defending you with my comment since you gave me lots of good info hehe. It's aoo good
Let's put it in simpler terms. How many rounds have you put down range at what distances? I have a mounts with bubble scopes on them but truthfully, since I've started long distance precision shooting, the only time I've ever looked at a bubble level has been during the mounting and zeroing stage of the process. Not looking at a level of any kind has not prevented me from hitting targets at any distance. If I dropped a shot, more likely than not it's either a missed wind call or a breakdown in some part of the marksmanship fundamentals.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 02-25-2019, 11:41 AM

Keep in mind Mute you're make a statement on a forum where people measure down to the thousandths when they trim their brass, size their brass, measure their powder load, calculate with the bullet coefficient, wind, elevation, temperature so the least least least easiest no brainer thing anyone can do is mount a scope hehe. It's nice to chime in but it's probably the wrong forum to say "don't over thnk it" in a forum that is built on overthinking everything. Let's discuss the difference between .223 and 5.56 hehe. It's all good I'm not trying to ride you. Just the elephant in the room that we're all kinda into our stuff and it's literally nothing to mount a scope relative to everything else we do in this forum. HKDave you can chime in since you load and let Mute know how hard core we get when measuring anything. You're comments are welcome Mute. You are right it's probably only 1 inch variance at 5 yards if I just eyeball and don't even use a bubble level.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofois View Post
Keep in mind Mute you're make a statement on a forum where people measure down to the thousandths when they trim their brass, size their brass, measure their powder load, calculate with the bullet coefficient, wind, elevation, temperature so the least least least easiest no brainer thing anyone can do is mount a scope hehe. It's nice to chime in but it's probably the wrong forum to say "don't over thnk it" in a forum that is built on overthinking everything. Let's discuss the difference between .223 and 5.56 hehe. It's all good I'm not trying to ride you. Just the elephant in the room that we're all kinda into our stuff and it's literally nothing to mount a scope relative to everything else we do in this forum. HKDave you can chime in since you load and let Mute know how hard core we get when measuring anything. You're comments are welcome Mute. You are right it's probably only 1 inch variance at 5 yards if I just eyeball and don't even use a bubble level.
Not to ride you but go over to the sniper's hide forum and then come back and talk to me about minutiae. I've been doing this a long time and see a lot of people get lost in the littlest details and when they drop shots they keep chasing equipment solutions when what they should have done is look at how they're actually shooting. You seem to be conflating things that affect the consistency of your shots (reloading ammo and micro measurements) vs details with minor affects that are offset by much more common issues (using or not using a bubble level). Even on shots as far as 1800 meters I have not found that the lack of using a bubble level had any impact on my consistency or the ability to get an accurate shooting solution.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Not to ride you but go over to the sniper's hide forum and then come back and talk to me about minutiae. I've been doing this a long time and see a lot of people get lost in the littlest details and when they drop shots they keep chasing equipment solutions when what they should have done is look at how they're actually shooting. You seem to be conflating things that affect the consistency of your shots (reloading ammo and micro measurements) vs details with minor affects that are offset by much more common issues (using or not using a bubble level). Even on shots as far as 1800 meters I have not found that the lack of using a bubble level had any impact on my consistency or the ability to get an accurate shooting solution.
I'm with you butha, not sure what spending 5 minutes to have a scope mated to a rifle well has to do with anything or what it has to do with conflating. We seem to both agree the people messing with guns concern themselves with minute details so we are all in agreement that a shooter needs to focus on their shoot as well as their equipment and spending a couple minutes to attach devices to them is a good thing . The guy who said "don't overthink things" seems to be thinking a whole darn lot, but again is welcome to keep thinking. That's what this forum is all about. You seem to be with me on that point also. Let's not over think and over analyze people's comment
Old 02-25-2019, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes. More shooting. Less talking, not that the latter is necessarily bad. I've seen some shooting discussions that will turn you cross-eyed.