Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-24-2018, 9:04 AM

Default San Diego PD

Hey LEOs,

Is there anybody here that works for SDPD? I'm an aspiring LEO and would love to work for this department. I'd really like to have an honest, no bull**** talk with a SDPD officer as I have some questions about the department (positives & negatives), career opportunities, general guidance, etc.

Feel free to contact me through private message.

Thank you!

Last edited by praxert; 05-24-2018 at 9:08 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Best piece of no BS advise, don't set your sights on just one agency.
Old 05-24-2018, 3:03 PM

I know some folks who used to work there; all left due to the combination of insane housing prices and a critical shortage of officers. Not sure how bad the second reason is still; but something to consider. They all had some other minor things they didn't really like with SDPD; but you will have some of that crap no matter where you work.

Can't beat the weather though...
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 05-24-2018, 4:48 PM

Yeah, the shortage of officers is definitely still an issue. SDPD just got a new police chief however, and he states that he is working on hiring more officers and pushing more cadets through each academy class. They'll be big on hiring in the coming year(s) so that does help me in a way. Pay has been a complaint too but apparently they'll be bumping that a bit, effective July....
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

https://forum.officer.com/forum/loca...ea-departments

May be a good place to find someone in the department to talk to...
Old 05-25-2018, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
This particularly applies to California agencies. In other states you actually can focus on one agency.

21 Year Military Veteran
DHS veteran

Old 05-25-2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
https://forum.officer.com/forum/loca...ea-departments

May be a good place to find someone in the department to talk to...

Thank you!
Old 05-25-2018, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
This particularly applies to California agencies. In other states you actually can focus on one agency.

For sure. I certainly agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2018, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

CHP is hiring. San Diego office is pretty easy to get into.
Old 05-25-2018, 9:14 AM

A Washington DC Lieutenant told me this: “Do not do it if you plan to be a family man. You will not be around enough.” He had a troubled family life until he retired. This is why I never became a cop. I should have done it but life took me in another direction.

You could always do it until you get married. Five years gets you a national carry permit so you may want to stay in for at least that long.

Last edited by tomrkba; 05-25-2018 at 9:20 AM..
Old 05-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
A Washington DC Lieutenant told me this: “Do not do it if you plan to be a family man. You will not be around enough.” He had a troubled family life until he retired. This is why I never became a cop. I should have done it but life took me in another direction.

You could always do it until you get married. Five years gets you a national carry permit so you may want to stay in for at least that long.

10-years AND your agency has to be willing to issue you a non-retiree/LEOSA criteria identification card, which is still not universally adopted.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post

One of the best pieces of advice that many have learned through personal experience.

Hundreds to thousands of applicants for 10 and under positions. The odds are typically not in your favor. Politics and bureaucracy come into play as well.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Respectfully, that DC Lt probably had some issues that he never dealt with nor addressed which created the family issues that he referred to.

I know countless officers that have great families and are family men and women. I would consider myself to be a family man. There are times that I may not make certain things and I hope to keep it at a minimum and keep it that way well into retirement.
Old 05-25-2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:

If you work for a bigger agency, and an understanding wife, you will probably survive like I did. Retired 2 years and 4 months ago and loving it.
Old 05-25-2018, 3:36 PM

If you're into working weekends, nights and holidays then you are on the right track. Now factor in the high divorce rate, presumptive health problems (ie. High Blood Pressure, Acid Reflux, Back problems, etc.).

If this turns you on, try society is not behind you; they pay your salary, the blatant disrespect by people you come in contact with ( including your supervisors) and turds from the public filing complaints against you for doing your job.

If you're all IN by now, you can enjoy being sued and potentially end up in prison for doing your job. Your family may or may not be forced to move to another town for their safety.

If this is really what you want, I wish you the best of luck in your new career. Just don't be like those lazy cops that receive a paycheck and impersonate the real cops that are out there day in and day out doing the Lords work. Good luck!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Frank1911; 05-25-2018 at 5:23 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 5:27 PM

Working weekends, nights, holidays, etc. doesn't bother me. I've been doing that the past 4 years, granted, my job has nothing to do with LE and is not nearly as stressful. About the family problems, no comment. I'm young (22) and single so I can be 'selfish' and only focus on myself at the moment. However, I hope that if I were to have a family I could balance my professional and personal life as posters above me have done before. I know dam well I would try as family is something I value.

I agree with you that for the most part, society has a negative view of LE. Even more so in California, I'm aware of how much our legislature and public opinion restricts how LE operates. I know that in this career you have to deal with the ****s of society. It's not something that I've experienced yet so I can't comment on that. However I do know that if I truly feel like I'm working in the wrong profession and cannot emotionally or mentally cope with this job, I will quit. No shame in that and it's better off for everyone else as well.

Thanks for the input. You can call me naive, but I only have intentions of being a good officer. This disconnect as a whole between LE and the community is an issue that can only be mitigated with more positive interactions with the public and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1911 View Post
If you're into working weekends, nights and holidays then you are on the right track. Now factor in the high divorce rate, presumptive health problems (ie. High Blood Pressure, Acis Reflux, Back problems, etc.).

If this turns you on, try society is not behind you; they pay your salary, the blatant disrespect by people you come in contact with ( including your supervisors) and turds from the public filing complaints against you for doing your job.

If you're all IN by now, you can enjoy being sued and potentially end up in prison for doing your job. Your family may or may not be forced to move to another town for their safety.

If this is really what you want, I wish you the best of luck in your new career. Just don't be like those lazy cops that receive a paycheck and impersonate the real cops that are out there day in and day out doing the Lords work. Good luck!!!!!

Last edited by praxert; 05-25-2018 at 5:53 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 5:34 PM

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and know what is in store for you. Any agency that hires you will be better for it. God Speed.....

Old 05-26-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxert View Post
This disconnect as a whole between LE and the community is an issue that can only be mitigated with more positive interactions with the public and vice versa.
JFYI, LE has positive interactions with the public ALL THE TIME. People are often unaware of or, in the case of 99.99% of the media, choose not to focus on the Good of LE... Any "disconnect" goes WAY deeper than just positive or negative interactions.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:

The discussion about being a family oriented LEO has recently been discussed in another thread, your marriage and family life is what you make of it. Of course there are a lot of factors that go into it, but 6 years with my department, married for almost 14 years, 6 kids and counting, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The Lord has provided and protected me in more ways than I deserve.

It sounds like you have a solid understanding of what’s in store as far as hours and expectations, but some of it may still catch you by surprise. Know when to say “no” to that OT shift, and don’t get distracted by the pay or lack there of. Most agencies will pay you a decent wage and offer good retirement, but you will never make enough to outweigh the above mentioned downside to the job. If you love the work and put your family first you’ll do well.

Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
JFYI, LE has positive interactions with the public ALL THE TIME. People are often unaware of or, in the case of 99.99% of the media, choose not to focus on the Good of LE... Any "disconnect" goes WAY deeper than just positive or negative interactions.
Absolutely Sir. I don't disagree with you there. There are countless positive interactions that are not reported, swept under the rug, or unrecognised solely because that is an LEO's job. They don't expect praise every time they accomplish a task on their job. There is a lot of humanity in LE, and I've seen it with my own eyes and on videos that have circulated the internet.

Nonetheless, it's undoubtable that there are areas in California (think Oakland, etc.) where positive interactions and community policing/involvement is lacking, or outright nonexistent. Whether it's something that can be solved by recruiting from the community they serve, or more involvement with youths, I don't know. I don't believe the disconnect comes solely from those interactions. However, I do believe that policing extends beyond community events and speaking in public forums and on TV. The attendees to these type of events tend to already be pro LE.

Again, it's a complex issue that starts at the most basic level. For many people, they remember all their interactions with police (since there shouldn't be many). I remember my 2 interactions with LE being pulled over for speeding. So for someone who may only interact with a LEO once, twice, or maybe three times in their lives, I do believe having a positive interaction can affect their biases and preconceptions that the media have made the public to believe.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmvan View Post
The discussion about being a family oriented LEO has recently been discussed in another thread, your marriage and family life is what you make of it. Of course there are a lot of factors that go into it, but 6 years with my department, married for almost 14 years, 6 kids and counting, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The Lord has provided and protected me in more ways than I deserve.

It sounds like you have a solid understanding of what’s in store as far as hours and expectations, but some of it may still catch you by surprise. Know when to say “no” to that OT shift, and don’t get distracted by the pay or lack there of. Most agencies will pay you a decent wage and offer good retirement, but you will never make enough to outweigh the above mentioned downside to the job. If you love the work and put your family first you’ll do well.

Good Luck!

Thank you sir for this advice and thank you for your service. It really is great to hear that you were able to manage, and with SIX kids too! Thank you and all to best to you!
Old 05-26-2018, 4:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wouldn’t recommend it. My agency just hired 3 laterals from SDPD and I’m all the way in Sac. All three had no good things to say about their last agency. High housing costs, critical officer shortages, and an adversarial city council.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikvenum93 View Post
I wouldn’t recommend it. My agency just hired 3 laterals from SDPD and I’m all the way in Sac. All three had no good things to say about their last agency. High housing costs, critical officer shortages, and an adversarial city council.

Thanks for the reply! Would you be able to elaborate a bit on what you mean by adversarial city council? Did your colleagues hint at anything or say anything more specific?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxert View Post
Thanks for the reply! Would you be able to elaborate a bit on what you mean by adversarial city council? Did your colleagues hint at anything or say anything more specific?

The city council wont grant pay raises despite San Diego having a similar cost of living to the Bay Area. I work for a fairly rural area and we still pay $11k more than San Diego despite having half the cost of living expenses as San Diego.

The whole home buying incentive is absolutely pointless because the admin knows full well the majority of their officers have no plans on staying and will lateral the first chance they get.

The guys from SD specifically complained about low pay, a crappy union, critical officer shortages leading to mandatory OT and an overzealous IA division.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:28 AM

I see. Thank you for the heads up!
Old 05-29-2018, 3:57 PM

SDPD has "big" agency opportunities but the pay is bad. Smaller agencies at the north end of the county pay $15k-$20k more at top step. And it's not like SDPD is pay for reasonable living on the coastal side of the county...maybe in Jamul. Heck UCSD PD STARTS at about the top end of SDPD's P3's range.

Last edited by mixicus; 05-29-2018 at 4:26 PM..