Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2018, 9:04 AM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default San Diego PD

Hey LEOs,

Is there anybody here that works for SDPD? I'm an aspiring LEO and would love to work for this department. I'd really like to have an honest, no bull**** talk with a SDPD officer as I have some questions about the department (positives & negatives), career opportunities, general guidance, etc.

Feel free to contact me through private message.

Thank you!

Last edited by praxert; 05-24-2018 at 9:08 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2018, 2:50 PM
P5Ret P5Ret is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SF Ebay
Posts: 4,285
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Best piece of no BS advise, don't set your sights on just one agency.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2018, 3:03 PM
CBR_rider CBR_rider is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,168
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I know some folks who used to work there; all left due to the combination of insane housing prices and a critical shortage of officers. Not sure how bad the second reason is still; but something to consider. They all had some other minor things they didn't really like with SDPD; but you will have some of that crap no matter where you work.

Can't beat the weather though...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
[BTW, I have no problem seeing DEA Agents and drug cops hanging from ropes, but that's a separate political issue.]
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2018, 4:48 PM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Yeah, the shortage of officers is definitely still an issue. SDPD just got a new police chief however, and he states that he is working on hiring more officers and pushing more cadets through each academy class. They'll be big on hiring in the coming year(s) so that does help me in a way. Pay has been a complaint too but apparently they'll be bumping that a bit, effective July....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 PM
glbtrottr's Avatar
glbtrottr glbtrottr is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: By the Beach, Baby!
Posts: 3,526
iTrader: 48 / 87%
Default

https://forum.officer.com/forum/loca...ea-departments

May be a good place to find someone in the department to talk to...
__________________
On hold....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2018, 2:06 AM
Endless's Avatar
Endless Endless is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ellsworth, ME/ Bend, OR
Posts: 1,432
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Best piece of no BS advise, don't set your sights on just one agency.
This particularly applies to California agencies. In other states you actually can focus on one agency.
__________________

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Federal Drug Enforcement Officer 2012-2016

“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Paul LePage, Maine State Governor
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2018, 8:36 AM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
https://forum.officer.com/forum/loca...ea-departments

May be a good place to find someone in the department to talk to...


Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2018, 8:37 AM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
This particularly applies to California agencies. In other states you actually can focus on one agency.


For sure. I certainly agree with you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2018, 8:40 AM
BigStiCK's Avatar
BigStiCK BigStiCK is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ReTard Capital of the World
Posts: 2,931
iTrader: 68 / 100%
Default

CHP is hiring. San Diego office is pretty easy to get into.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2018, 9:14 AM
tomrkba's Avatar
tomrkba tomrkba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Soon to be in the Bay Area Circle Jerk
Posts: 409
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

A Washington DC Lieutenant told me this: “Do not do it if you plan to be a family man. You will not be around enough.” He had a troubled family life until he retired. This is why I never became a cop. I should have done it but life took me in another direction.

You could always do it until you get married. Five years gets you a national carry permit so you may want to stay in for at least that long.
__________________
After every murder spree, the Left has its little gungasm and we fight off their political herpes.

Last edited by tomrkba; 05-25-2018 at 9:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:52 AM
code_blue's Avatar
code_blue code_blue is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan
Posts: 2,817
iTrader: 101 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
A Washington DC Lieutenant told me this: “Do not do it if you plan to be a family man. You will not be around enough.” He had a troubled family life until he retired. This is why I never became a cop. I should have done it but life took me in another direction.

You could always do it until you get married. Five years gets you a national carry permit so you may want to stay in for at least that long.

10-years AND your agency has to be willing to issue you a non-retiree/LEOSA criteria identification card, which is still not universally adopted.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2018, 11:55 AM
code_blue's Avatar
code_blue code_blue is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan
Posts: 2,817
iTrader: 101 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Best piece of no BS advise, don't set your sights on just one agency.

One of the best pieces of advice that many have learned through personal experience.

Hundreds to thousands of applicants for 10 and under positions. The odds are typically not in your favor. Politics and bureaucracy come into play as well.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-2018, 12:07 PM
esy esy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 723
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
A Washington DC Lieutenant told me this: “Do not do it if you plan to be a family man. You will not be around enough.” He had a troubled family life until he retired. This is why I never became a cop. I should have done it but life took me in another direction.

You could always do it until you get married. Five years gets you a national carry permit so you may want to stay in for at least that long.
Respectfully, that DC Lt probably had some issues that he never dealt with nor addressed which created the family issues that he referred to.

I know countless officers that have great families and are family men and women. I would consider myself to be a family man. There are times that I may not make certain things and I hope to keep it at a minimum and keep it that way well into retirement.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-25-2018, 2:44 PM
micro911's Avatar
micro911 micro911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LOS ANGELES COUNTY
Posts: 1,969
iTrader: 79 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
A Washington DC Lieutenant told me this: “Do not do it if you plan to be a family man. You will not be around enough.” He had a troubled family life until he retired. This is why I never became a cop. I should have done it but life took me in another direction.

You could always do it until you get married. Five years gets you a national carry permit so you may want to stay in for at least that long.
If you work for a bigger agency, and an understanding wife, you will probably survive like I did. Retired 2 years and 4 months ago and loving it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-25-2018, 3:36 PM
Frank1911 Frank1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 106
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

If you're into working weekends, nights and holidays then you are on the right track. Now factor in the high divorce rate, presumptive health problems (ie. High Blood Pressure, Acid Reflux, Back problems, etc.).

If this turns you on, try society is not behind you; they pay your salary, the blatant disrespect by people you come in contact with ( including your supervisors) and turds from the public filing complaints against you for doing your job.

If you're all IN by now, you can enjoy being sued and potentially end up in prison for doing your job. Your family may or may not be forced to move to another town for their safety.

If this is really what you want, I wish you the best of luck in your new career. Just don't be like those lazy cops that receive a paycheck and impersonate the real cops that are out there day in and day out doing the Lords work. Good luck!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Frank1911; 05-25-2018 at 5:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-25-2018, 5:27 PM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Working weekends, nights, holidays, etc. doesn't bother me. I've been doing that the past 4 years, granted, my job has nothing to do with LE and is not nearly as stressful. About the family problems, no comment. I'm young (22) and single so I can be 'selfish' and only focus on myself at the moment. However, I hope that if I were to have a family I could balance my professional and personal life as posters above me have done before. I know dam well I would try as family is something I value.

I agree with you that for the most part, society has a negative view of LE. Even more so in California, I'm aware of how much our legislature and public opinion restricts how LE operates. I know that in this career you have to deal with the ****s of society. It's not something that I've experienced yet so I can't comment on that. However I do know that if I truly feel like I'm working in the wrong profession and cannot emotionally or mentally cope with this job, I will quit. No shame in that and it's better off for everyone else as well.

Thanks for the input. You can call me naive, but I only have intentions of being a good officer. This disconnect as a whole between LE and the community is an issue that can only be mitigated with more positive interactions with the public and vice versa.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1911 View Post
If you're into working weekends, nights and holidays then you are on the right track. Now factor in the high divorce rate, presumptive health problems (ie. High Blood Pressure, Acis Reflux, Back problems, etc.).

If this turns you on, try society is not behind you; they pay your salary, the blatant disrespect by people you come in contact with ( including your supervisors) and turds from the public filing complaints against you for doing your job.

If you're all IN by now, you can enjoy being sued and potentially end up in prison for doing your job. Your family may or may not be forced to move to another town for their safety.

If this is really what you want, I wish you the best of luck in your new career. Just don't be like those lazy cops that receive a paycheck and impersonate the real cops that are out there day in and day out doing the Lords work. Good luck!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by praxert; 05-25-2018 at 5:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-25-2018, 5:34 PM
Frank1911 Frank1911 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 106
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and know what is in store for you. Any agency that hires you will be better for it. God Speed.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Samuelx's Avatar
Samuelx Samuelx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 1,401
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxert View Post
This disconnect as a whole between LE and the community is an issue that can only be mitigated with more positive interactions with the public and vice versa.
JFYI, LE has positive interactions with the public ALL THE TIME. People are often unaware of or, in the case of 99.99% of the media, choose not to focus on the Good of LE... Any "disconnect" goes WAY deeper than just positive or negative interactions.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-26-2018, 10:27 AM
hmvan's Avatar
hmvan hmvan is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 174
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
A Washington DC Lieutenant told me this: “Do not do it if you plan to be a family man. You will not be around enough.” He had a troubled family life until he retired. This is why I never became a cop. I should have done it but life took me in another direction.

You could always do it until you get married. Five years gets you a national carry permit so you may want to stay in for at least that long.


The discussion about being a family oriented LEO has recently been discussed in another thread, your marriage and family life is what you make of it. Of course there are a lot of factors that go into it, but 6 years with my department, married for almost 14 years, 6 kids and counting, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The Lord has provided and protected me in more ways than I deserve.

It sounds like you have a solid understanding of what’s in store as far as hours and expectations, but some of it may still catch you by surprise. Know when to say “no” to that OT shift, and don’t get distracted by the pay or lack there of. Most agencies will pay you a decent wage and offer good retirement, but you will never make enough to outweigh the above mentioned downside to the job. If you love the work and put your family first you’ll do well.

Good Luck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-26-2018, 10:33 AM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
JFYI, LE has positive interactions with the public ALL THE TIME. People are often unaware of or, in the case of 99.99% of the media, choose not to focus on the Good of LE... Any "disconnect" goes WAY deeper than just positive or negative interactions.
Absolutely Sir. I don't disagree with you there. There are countless positive interactions that are not reported, swept under the rug, or unrecognised solely because that is an LEO's job. They don't expect praise every time they accomplish a task on their job. There is a lot of humanity in LE, and I've seen it with my own eyes and on videos that have circulated the internet.

Nonetheless, it's undoubtable that there are areas in California (think Oakland, etc.) where positive interactions and community policing/involvement is lacking, or outright nonexistent. Whether it's something that can be solved by recruiting from the community they serve, or more involvement with youths, I don't know. I don't believe the disconnect comes solely from those interactions. However, I do believe that policing extends beyond community events and speaking in public forums and on TV. The attendees to these type of events tend to already be pro LE.

Again, it's a complex issue that starts at the most basic level. For many people, they remember all their interactions with police (since there shouldn't be many). I remember my 2 interactions with LE being pulled over for speeding. So for someone who may only interact with a LEO once, twice, or maybe three times in their lives, I do believe having a positive interaction can affect their biases and preconceptions that the media have made the public to believe.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-26-2018, 10:36 AM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmvan View Post
The discussion about being a family oriented LEO has recently been discussed in another thread, your marriage and family life is what you make of it. Of course there are a lot of factors that go into it, but 6 years with my department, married for almost 14 years, 6 kids and counting, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The Lord has provided and protected me in more ways than I deserve.

It sounds like you have a solid understanding of what’s in store as far as hours and expectations, but some of it may still catch you by surprise. Know when to say “no” to that OT shift, and don’t get distracted by the pay or lack there of. Most agencies will pay you a decent wage and offer good retirement, but you will never make enough to outweigh the above mentioned downside to the job. If you love the work and put your family first you’ll do well.

Good Luck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir for this advice and thank you for your service. It really is great to hear that you were able to manage, and with SIX kids too! Thank you and all to best to you!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-26-2018, 4:30 PM
Sikvenum93's Avatar
Sikvenum93 Sikvenum93 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,369
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

I wouldn’t recommend it. My agency just hired 3 laterals from SDPD and I’m all the way in Sac. All three had no good things to say about their last agency. High housing costs, critical officer shortages, and an adversarial city council.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Wise men seldom speak. - Arcus
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-27-2018, 10:08 AM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikvenum93 View Post
I wouldn’t recommend it. My agency just hired 3 laterals from SDPD and I’m all the way in Sac. All three had no good things to say about their last agency. High housing costs, critical officer shortages, and an adversarial city council.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply! Would you be able to elaborate a bit on what you mean by adversarial city council? Did your colleagues hint at anything or say anything more specific?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-27-2018, 10:25 AM
Sikvenum93's Avatar
Sikvenum93 Sikvenum93 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,369
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxert View Post
Thanks for the reply! Would you be able to elaborate a bit on what you mean by adversarial city council? Did your colleagues hint at anything or say anything more specific?


The city council wont grant pay raises despite San Diego having a similar cost of living to the Bay Area. I work for a fairly rural area and we still pay $11k more than San Diego despite having half the cost of living expenses as San Diego.

The whole home buying incentive is absolutely pointless because the admin knows full well the majority of their officers have no plans on staying and will lateral the first chance they get.

The guys from SD specifically complained about low pay, a crappy union, critical officer shortages leading to mandatory OT and an overzealous IA division.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Wise men seldom speak. - Arcus
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-27-2018, 10:28 AM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I see. Thank you for the heads up!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-29-2018, 3:57 PM
mixicus mixicus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 589
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

SDPD has "big" agency opportunities but the pay is bad. Smaller agencies at the north end of the county pay $15k-$20k more at top step. And it's not like SDPD is pay for reasonable living on the coastal side of the county...maybe in Jamul. Heck UCSD PD STARTS at about the top end of SDPD's P3's range.

Last edited by mixicus; 05-29-2018 at 4:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-07-2018, 1:59 PM
nobody33 nobody33 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 293
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

SDPD has a 25% raise coming, starting this month with just over 8% and in two year will be fully implemented. Senior officers get over 30% raises. PM me if still interested.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-07-2018, 7:42 PM
Samuelx's Avatar
Samuelx Samuelx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 1,401
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody33 View Post
SDPD has a 25% raise coming, starting this month with just over 8% and in two year will be fully implemented. Senior officers get over 30% raises. PM me if still interested.
Holy cow that's awesome!!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-07-2018, 8:22 PM
esy esy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 723
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
Holy cow that's awesome!!!
It sounds awesome yet should also be taken into context. I don’t know what SDPD should get paid nor what their neghboring departments pay. There’s a local department to mine that was somewhere around 18% behind us. Lots of officers were leaving to come over to us, and then they finally granted them a raise that would take two or three years to come to fruition. By the time all is said and done, they’ll still be at least 5% or more behind us.

Take into consideration that that department was losing out on tens of thousands of dollars every years for countless years.

Hopefully, city managers, mayors, and County Boards of Supervisors across the board realize they need to take care of their LE before they get left with nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-07-2018, 10:07 PM
5.56's Avatar
5.56 5.56 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 748
iTrader: 6 / 88%
Default

Why not apply? Apply everywhere. IF you make it(get off probation and 2-3 years patrol experience) and you don't like it, you can go anywhere you want. Nearly every state in the nation with the exception of Texas, will take your POST. Texas will make you go through their academy again due to their state POST rules. Your training and experience acquired from SDPD will be golden anywhere else in the US and you'll likely find yourself far more seasoned than other officers.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-08-2018, 8:08 AM
Samuelx's Avatar
Samuelx Samuelx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 1,401
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
It sounds awesome yet should also be taken into context. I don’t know what SDPD should get paid nor what their neghboring departments pay. There’s a local department to mine that was somewhere around 18% behind us. Lots of officers were leaving to come over to us, and then they finally granted them a raise that would take two or three years to come to fruition. By the time all is said and done, they’ll still be at least 5% or more behind us.

Take into consideration that that department was losing out on tens of thousands of dollars every years for countless years.

Hopefully, city managers, mayors, and County Boards of Supervisors across the board realize they need to take care of their LE before they get left with nothing.
I hear you. I'm just looking at it from my own standpoint (IIRC having Maybe 1 raise in 20 years that Maybe matched the cost of living increase; having a few LONG dry spells in between contracts/raises; having a union responsible for such things, barking tough but rolling over belly up time after time after time; having same union, until a week or so ago when SCOTUS finally got rid of agency shop, take FULL DUES from my paychecks every month/every year but still wouldn't let me vote or attend meetings because I never "officially" signed up; that same union crow about getting us piecemeal raises but then turn right around and raise their dues a significantly higher percentage than what we got each time; ETC ad nauseam) and how crazy happy I'd be with such a raise and also how nice such a raise would be for those guys/gals (even if they are still a little under compared to neighboring agencies) who have been slogging it out for years and years!

It's been said and I've always believed that if you want your people to take good care of business/clients, you need to take good care of your people. Unfortunately, that concept seems completely foreign to both the political side and internal upper management side of things...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:37 PM
esy esy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 723
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
I hear you. I'm just looking at it from my own standpoint (IIRC having Maybe 1 raise in 20 years that Maybe matched the cost of living increase; having a few LONG dry spells in between contracts/raises; having a union responsible for such things, barking tough but rolling over belly up time after time after time; having same union, until a week or so ago when SCOTUS finally got rid of agency shop, take FULL DUES from my paychecks every month/every year but still wouldn't let me vote or attend meetings because I never "officially" signed up; that same union crow about getting us piecemeal raises but then turn right around and raise their dues a significantly higher percentage than what we got each time; ETC ad nauseam) and how crazy happy I'd be with such a raise and also how nice such a raise would be for those guys/gals (even if they are still a little under compared to neighboring agencies) who have been slogging it out for years and years!

It's been said and I've always believed that if you want your people to take good care of business/clients, you need to take good care of your people. Unfortunately, that concept seems completely foreign to both the political side and internal upper management side of things...
Oh, you're telling me! I'm certain I don't have as much time on as you and I can already tell. We're in a good spot in my department, however, I'm looking at the end game, and frankly, my end game is pretty weak. They took a lot away from us newer guys and gals and I'm holding out hope that once the majority of older officers retire, we can re-negotiate out pensions or what not.

Our union recently finished contract negotiations and the numbers look good, but people didn't factor in how much the bump in pension contributions would affect us. Still good raises in the end, it's just the extra percentage going into the pensions takes away from it.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-08-2018, 3:16 PM
Country_Jim Country_Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 332
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxert View Post
Absolutely Sir. I don't disagree with you there. There are countless positive interactions that are not reported, swept under the rug, or unrecognised solely because that is an LEO's job. They don't expect praise every time they accomplish a task on their job. There is a lot of humanity in LE, and I've seen it with my own eyes and on videos that have circulated the internet.

Nonetheless, it's undoubtable that there are areas in California (think Oakland, etc.) where positive interactions and community policing/involvement is lacking, or outright nonexistent. Whether it's something that can be solved by recruiting from the community they serve, or more involvement with youths, I don't know. I don't believe the disconnect comes solely from those interactions. However, I do believe that policing extends beyond community events and speaking in public forums and on TV. The attendees to these type of events tend to already be pro LE.

Again, it's a complex issue that starts at the most basic level. For many people, they remember all their interactions with police (since there shouldn't be many). I remember my 2 interactions with LE being pulled over for speeding. So for someone who may only interact with a LEO once, twice, or maybe three times in their lives, I do believe having a positive interaction can affect their biases and preconceptions that the media have made the public to believe.
Are you LE?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-08-2018, 3:20 PM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Jim View Post
Are you LE?
I'm not. Aspiring LEO.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-08-2018, 3:22 PM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody33 View Post
SDPD has a 25% raise coming, starting this month with just over 8% and in two year will be fully implemented. Senior officers get over 30% raises. PM me if still interested.
That's good to hear! It's about time, cost living here in SD ain't cheap! I'll be graduating uni July 2019 so by the time I get in (if I do) then at least I'll see that increase.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-08-2018, 3:28 PM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
Why not apply? Apply everywhere. IF you make it(get off probation and 2-3 years patrol experience) and you don't like it, you can go anywhere you want. Nearly every state in the nation with the exception of Texas, will take your POST. Texas will make you go through their academy again due to their state POST rules. Your training and experience acquired from SDPD will be golden anywhere else in the US and you'll likely find yourself far more seasoned than other officers.
Yeah, for sure. I certainly will be applying to multiple agencies in San Diego and Los Angeles. That is nice to know however that POST certification counts for a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-08-2018, 3:37 PM
Mike512usa Mike512usa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Central California
Posts: 148
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Consider the CA Dept. of Corrections as well as CHP.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-08-2018, 3:44 PM
Country_Jim Country_Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 332
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxert View Post
I'm not. Aspiring LEO.

You might want to actually get hired, complete your training, successfully finish probation and then work the job for a few years before you tell us how to do our jobs. You have no clue.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-08-2018, 3:49 PM
praxert praxert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 94
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Jim View Post
You might want to actually get hired, complete your training, successfully finish probation and then work the job for a few years before you tell us how to do our jobs. You have no clue.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
Thanks! And good point. Will do. Just speaking my mind from my current and limited perspective. No disrespect intended.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-08-2018, 5:23 PM
benjamin101677 benjamin101677 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 463
iTrader: 9 / 91%
Default

I know a lot of friends in the Central Valley cops that choose one agency because of the higher pay. Now several years later the original agency that these officers came from are paying $20,000 plus a year more. With a better shift schedule.

When I got in to a lower paying high turn over agency there was benefits there. My agency worked with me a lot more then most agencies would have. They couldn’t afford to loose a trained officer so mistakes were over looked etc.

Also within just a few years seniority was easy to come by and better days off / shifts and / or assignments.

I would never chase the higher paying departments for money reasons. I would choose a city / county that I liked and wanted to work in first.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:00 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.