Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-30-2017, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
What I understand is that many don't realize they are at the mercy of the vendor and what the vendor will accept as proof of employment.

Thanks for not jumping on the hater bandwagon. My employment requires the equivalent of a COE and FBI rapback on a continuing basis. I am one of the 'good guys', regardless of the trash you might find here.

I am not trying to stir anything up here. Peace.
Therein lies the BIG difference. According to the law, the vast majority, if not all, of LEO's credentials satisfy what it requires.

IF a business chooses not to abide by the law then that is on them. No peace officer is breaking the law here. This thread was created to notify other peace officers of the businesses that are following the law.
Old 12-31-2017, 2:25 PM

I like SGammo... my favorite lately has been Targetsportsusa... anyone hear from them?
Old 12-31-2017, 3:28 PM
retired Goon

CA laws as chaptered...

PC 30312(c)(1) applies to non-sworn employees of a LE agency.
^These people require written authorization from the LE agency they are employed with.

PC 30312(c)(2) applies to sworn employees (LEOs) of a LE agency.
^These people just need to show their LEO credentials.

It is up to the individual out-of-state vendor to determine what documentation is required to satisfy these exemptions requirements.
^So far, bare minimum appears to be:
... for PC 30312(c)(1), LE agency ID and LE agency authorization letter.
... for PC 30312(c)(2), LE agency ID indicating the employee is a sworn LEO.

Penal Code 30312
(a)(1) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale of ammunition by any party shall be conducted by or processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.
(2) When neither party to an ammunition sale is a licensed ammunition vendor, the seller shall deliver the ammunition to a vendor to process the transaction. The ammunition vendor shall promptly and properly deliver the ammunition to the purchaser, if the sale is not prohibited, as if the ammunition were the vendor’s own merchandise. If the ammunition vendor cannot legally deliver the ammunition to the purchaser, the vendor shall forthwith return the ammunition to the seller. The ammunition vendor may charge the purchaser an administrative fee to process the transaction, in an amount to be set by the Department of Justice, in addition to any applicable fees that may be charged pursuant to the provisions of this title.
(b) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur in a face-to-face transaction with the seller, deliverer, or transferor, provided, however, that ammunition may be purchased or acquired over the Internet or through other means of remote ordering if a licensed ammunition vendor initially receives the ammunition and processes the transaction in compliance with this section and Article 3 (commencing with Section 30342) of Chapter 1 of Division 10 of Title 4 of this part.
(c) Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of ammunition to any of the following:
(1) An authorized law enforcement representative of a city, county, city and county, or state or federal government, if the sale, delivery, or transfer is for exclusive use by that government agency and, prior to the sale, delivery, or transfer of the ammunition, written authorization from the head of the agency employing the purchaser or transferee is obtained, identifying the employee as an individual authorized to conduct the transaction, and authorizing the transaction for the exclusive use of the agency employing the individual.
(2) A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.

Penal Code 30314
(a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30312.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(2) A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-31-2017 at 3:40 PM..
Old 12-31-2017, 3:46 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
That is AB-1516, which was in the 15-16 session. No longer valid.

We are now under Prop 63, relevant text follows. Have a nice day.

f&t-(7) An authorized law enforcement representative of a city, county, city and county, or state
or federal government, if the sale or other transfer of ownership is for exclusive use by that
government agency, and, prior to the sale, delivery, or transfer of the handgun ammunition,
Arndt.
written authorization from the head of the agency authorizing the transaction is presented to the
person from whom the purchase, delivery, or transfer is being made. Proper written
authorization is defined as verifiable written certification from the head of the agency by which
the purchaser, transferee, or person otherwise acquiring ownership is employed, identifying the
employee as an individual authorized to conduct the transaction, and authorizing the transaction
for the exclusive use of the agency by which that individual is employed.

(8)(a) A properly identified sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with
Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or properly identified sworn federal law enforcement officer,
who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer's duties.
(b )( 1) Proper identification is defined as verifiable written certification from the head of the
agency by which the purchaser or transferee is employed, identifying the purchaser or transferee
as a full-time paid peace officer who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of
the officer's duties.

(2) The certification shall be delivered to the vendor at the time of purchase or transfer and the
purchaser or transferee shall provide bona fide evidence of identity to verify that he or she is the
person authorized in the certification.
(3) The vendor shall keep the certification with the record of sale and submit the certification to
the Department.
(f) The Department of Justice is authorized to adopt regulations to implement the provisions of
this section.

Your credentials as a sworn officer may suffice. I hope they do. But if a vendor requires signed certification from your boss (because that is what the law says), are you going to argue about it?
All that [PC 30352(e)(8)] only applies when acquiring ammo from a CA licensed ammunition vendors and it goes into effect on 07-01-2019. [PC 30352]

It's needed info in order to be exempt for the CA DROS and CA "instant background check" on ammunition transfers by a CA DOJ licensed ammunition vendor. [PC 30352(e)]

Penal Code 30352
(a) Commencing July 1, 2019, an ammunition vendor shall not sell or otherwise transfer ownership of any ammunition without, at the time of delivery, legibly recording the following information on a form to be prescribed by the Department of Justice:
(1) The date of the sale or other transfer.
(2) The purchaser's or transferee's driver's license or other identification number and the state in which it was issued.
(3) The brand, type, and amount of ammunition sold or otherwise transferred.
(4) The purchaser's or transferee's full name and signature.
(5) The name of the salesperson who processed the sale or other transaction.
(6) The purchaser's or transferee's full residential address and telephone number.
(7) The purchaser's or transferee's date of birth.
(b) Commencing July 1, 2019, an ammunition vendor shall electronically submit to the department the information required by subdivision (a) for all sales and transfers of ownership of ammunition. The department shall retain this information in a database to be known as the Ammunition Purchase Records File. This information shall remain confidential and may be used by the department and those entities specified in, and pursuant to, subdivision (b) or (c) of Section 11105, through the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System, only for law enforcement purposes. The ammunition vendor shall not use, sell, disclose, or share the information for any other purpose other than the submission required by this subdivision without the express written consent of the purchaser or transferee.
(c) Commencing on July 1, 2019, only those persons listed in this subdivision, or those persons or entities listed in subdivision (e), shall be authorized to purchase ammunition. Prior to delivering any ammunition, an ammunition vendor shall require bona fide evidence of identity to verify that the person who is receiving delivery of the ammunition is a person or entity listed in subdivision (e) or one of the following:
(1) A person authorized to purchase ammunition pursuant to Section 30370.
(2) A person who was approved by the department to receive a firearm from the ammunition vendor, pursuant to Section 28220, if that vendor is a licensed firearms dealer, and the ammunition is delivered to the person in the same transaction as the firearm.
(d) Commencing July 1, 2019, the ammunition vendor shall verify with the department, in a manner prescribed by the department, that the person is authorized to purchase ammunition. If the person is not listed as an authorized ammunition purchaser, the vendor shall deny the sale or transfer.
(e) Subdivisions (a) and (d) shall not apply to sales or other transfers of ownership of ammunition by ammunition vendors to any of the following, if properly identified:
(7) An authorized law enforcement representative of a city, county, city and county, or state or federal government, if the sale or other transfer of ownership is for exclusive use by that government agency, and, prior to the sale, delivery, or transfer of the handgun ammunition, written authorization from the head of the agency authorizing the transaction is presented to the person from whom the purchase, delivery, or transfer is being made. Proper written authorization is defined as verifiable written certification from the head of the agency by which the purchaser, transferee, or person otherwise acquiring ownership is employed, identifying the employee as an individual authorized to conduct the transaction, and authorizing the transaction for the exclusive use of the agency by which that individual is employed.
(8)(A) A properly identified sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or properly identified sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer's duties.
(B)(i) Proper identification is defined as verifiable written certification from the head of the agency by which the purchaser or transferee is employed, identifying the purchaser or transferee as a full-time paid peace officer who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer's duties.
(ii) The certification shall be delivered to the vendor at the time of purchase or transfer and the purchaser or transferee shall provide bona fide evidence of identity to verify that he or she is the person authorized in the certification.
(iii) The vendor shall keep the certification with the record of sale and submit the certification to the department.
(f) The department is authorized to adopt regulations to implement the provisions of this section.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 01-02-2018 at 6:28 AM..
Old 12-31-2017, 8:53 PM

Default Ammo 2018

As for Targetsportsusa I sent them an email but waiting to hear back.

(Quoted wrong post-edit)

Last edited by Ralston; 12-31-2017 at 8:55 PM..
Old 01-04-2018, 7:42 AM

Later PSA

Hello,

While your state law only requires an ID, our company policy requires letterhead documentation for all non-compliant purchases to Law Enforcement. We apologize for how this may affect you.

Best Regards,

Dylan D.
Palmetto State Armory Customer Service
(803) 724-6950
Customer.Service@palmettostatearmory.com
Old 01-04-2018, 10:24 AM

I’m over PSA with buying any restricted items. Even getting standard mags requires all of that from them. I’ll buy some parts here and there from them. Other than that, I’ll pass.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:38 PM

Question.

So what if 2 LEOS sell to each other privately? They just meet somewhere and show each others agency ID cards?
Old 01-04-2018, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
I’m over PSA with buying any restricted items. Even getting standard mags requires all of that from them. I’ll buy some parts here and there from them. Other than that, I’ll pass.

44mag.com for mags. Best deals around. NEVER a hassle.
Old 01-04-2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralston View Post
44mag.com for mags. Best deals around. NEVER a hassle.
Cool! Thanks for the info!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
Cool! Thanks for the info!
gunmagwarehouse.com
Old 01-05-2018, 6:44 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCharles196 View Post
Question.

So what if 2 LEOS sell to each other privately? They just meet somewhere and show each others agency ID cards?
Yes.

Old 01-05-2018, 7:02 AM

Any updates on who else will ship with credentials?

Dan
Old 01-05-2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
I'm looking at the back of my credentials now.

Identified as a peace officer. Check.

Signature of the head of my agency. Check.

Yep. Good to go.
I also checked with DOJ who confirmed,; Your LE ID is all you need. Don't read too far into the language, it's all good for active LE.

On another note: All honorably retired LE officers are also exempt from any large capacity magazine restriction laws that pertain to Joe citizen.
Old 01-06-2018, 6:53 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoastpi View Post
On another note: All honorably retired LE officers are also exempt from any large capacity magazine restriction laws that pertain to Joe citizen.
Only exempt for possession. [PC 32406]
Not exempt for importing, making, advertising for sale, or transfer.

Penal Code 32406
Subdivision (c) of Section 32310 does not apply to an honorably retired sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or honorably retired sworn federal law enforcement officer, who was authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of that officer’s duties. “Honorably retired” shall have the same meaning as provided in Section 16690.

Penal Code 16690
As used in Sections 25650 and 26020, Article 2 (commencing with Section 25450) of Chapter 2 of Division 5 of Title 4, and Article 3 (commencing with Section 25900) of Chapter 3 of Division 5 of Title 4, “honorably retired” includes any peace officer who has qualified for, and has accepted, a service or disability retirement. As used in those provisions, “honorably retired” does not include an officer who has agreed to a service retirement in lieu of termination.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Just got this today from outdoor limited.com

"We can ship to LEO officers with a copy of their credentials and a letter on department letterhead stating it is for official police business."

David Gregory
Owner
www.OutdoorLimited.com
877-229-0351
Old 01-06-2018, 9:48 PM

I ordered a case of 5.7 ss198LF from Atlantic Tactical in the beginning of December. I have ordered from them before. They canceled my order because I am from California. I even provided my credentials. So I paid a bit more and ordered from Bud's Gun shop.
Old 01-07-2018, 5:07 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

The American Marksman told me they would ship with just ID.
Old 01-07-2018, 6:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can my brother from texas bring ammo to shoot here. He comes in to office in Irvine every month or so. We fish one day and go shooting the next usually.
Old 01-07-2018, 7:20 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Can my brother from texas bring ammo to shoot here. He comes in to office in Irvine every month or so. We fish one day and go shooting the next usually.
Ammo importation restrictions only apply to CA residents.

As non-residents of CA, they can legally bring ammo to CA for personal use.

Any ammo they bring to CA and transfer to a CA resident, must be done through a licensed ammo vendor.
^Exemption to this is, if the person receiving the ammo is an immediate family member (grandparent, parent, child, grandchild) or spouse/registered domestic partner.

They can not bring prohibited ammo (explosive, incendiary, tracer, flechette, handgun AP) into CA.

Old 01-07-2018, 7:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OK thanks , we know about ammo restrictions. He shoots 28 gauge and 6.8 spc which is expensive over the counter here

Last edited by edgerly779; 01-07-2018 at 8:10 AM..
Old 01-10-2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iano1 View Post
I like SGammo... my favorite lately has been Targetsportsusa... anyone hear from them?
TSA just shipped to me last week with a pic of my ID
Old 01-30-2018, 10:55 PM

I just set up accounts with TargetSportsUSA (upload a picture of your creds while setting up your account online), Brownell's (emailed picture of creds), and 44mag (emailed picture of creds). Ordered some .308/762 from TSA, and some M1A mags from 44mag (would have ordered from Brownell's but by the time they set up my account, the price of what I was looking for had jumped up).
Old 02-27-2018, 9:47 AM

I just received an e-mail response from Double Tap Ammo that they will work with CA LEO's who have proper ID card. They have a decent amount of copper ammo in various calibers for those of you who hunt in the state as well.
Old 03-24-2018, 6:19 PM

Got e-mails today from SGAmmo, Outdoor Limited and Freedom Munitions stating they will not send to home addresses of LEO. SGAmmo stated in their e-mail they have discontinued all sales to California as a whole.
Old 03-24-2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyf1986 View Post
Got e-mails today from SGAmmo, Outdoor Limited and Freedom Munitions stating they will not send to home addresses of LEO. SGAmmo stated in their e-mail they have discontinued all sales to California as a whole.
Sucks; I really liked purchasing from them. Thinking of finally buying a 1911 for CCW; guess I shoulda stockpiled that carry ammo, too... oh well.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:18 PM

Isn't it time to just get your 03 FFL and COE? You got that and you have the ammo shipped to your home. It's worth the $30 every 3 years for renewal for the 03 and $22 a year for the COE.
Old 03-31-2018, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haodoken View Post
Isn't it time to just get your 03 FFL and COE? You got that and you have the ammo shipped to your home. It's worth the $30 every 3 years for renewal for the 03 and $22 a year for the COE.
I’m going to do this? Anyone familar with the process? How long does it take and are there many denials?
Old 04-02-2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Sucks; I really liked purchasing from them. Thinking of finally buying a 1911 for CCW; guess I shoulda stockpiled that carry ammo, too... oh well.
That's strange, I received a shipment from S&G Ammo in mid-February.
Old 04-02-2018, 2:34 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood562 View Post
I’m going to do this? Anyone familar with the process? How long does it take and are there many denials?
For C&R FFL: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=175032

For COE: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-02-2018, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-4 View Post
That's strange, I received a shipment from S&G Ammo in mid-February.
So did I but then a month later......
"Attention CA customers : Sorry, as of 3/16/18 we no longer accept sales to anyone in California. No exceptions or exemptions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdanger View Post
Weiner is in jail for doing much less than Kavanaugh or your Dear Leader Trump have done and they are walking around free.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Old 04-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Default SG Ammo no longer shipping here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwoodm4 View Post
Just got an email from SG Ammo and they will ship ammo to your residence with proper LEO credentials in 2018. I’ve recently contacted a few other online vendors and they stated they will not. This is great news as they are one of the best online vendors out there. Great prices fast shipping and good customer service.
Just received an email from Sam: "Effective March 16th, no longer shipping to CA"
Old 04-10-2018, 3:53 PM

Lame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Just bought from TargetSportsUSA. Easy. Uploaded a photo of work ID. They use FedEx so a little more on the shipping but no real issues. They’re the new go to since there aren’t many other options. I’m sure this will change soon enough. Get it while you can.
Old 04-11-2018, 1:45 PM

I've been referring people at work to TargetSportsUSA as they have most of our agency's required duty ammo at reasonable prices. Hopefully they will continue to do business with us LEO customers.