Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-16-2018, 6:04 PM

Default Another Lawyer Recommendation Request

I have a friend (and right now you all are thinking this is me, it's not) who after having an exchange of TROs with his ex is now facing firearm charges. His trial is scheduled in a month and a half and he is beginning to doubt his attorney's skill in gun laws. This is in the San Diego area.

I gave him a list of recommended lawyers gleaned from prior threads a couple of months ago but some of those threads were several years old and I don't know how valid some of the lawyers are currently.

Jason Davis is the go to guy but he was too busy to take on another client when my friend talked to him. My friend will call JD again but if he is still too busy then I'd like to have a solid referral list of alternates.

So along with Bruce Colodny and GDB, could someone please add an extra name or two that are local to San Diego?
Old 07-16-2018, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Best plan: contact JD; if still not available, ask JD for reputable references. He’ll know the players.
Old 07-17-2018, 7:04 AM
Veteran Member

Michel & Assoc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2018, 7:57 AM

Gerald (Jerry) Smith is a very competent criminal attorney in San Diego. A former TX Sgt / SWAT LEO who had a medical retirement, he studied law. He specializes in cases with police testimony and procedures because he "knows how they work". I hired him for a friend who had a messy track record. He got her issues cleaned up and everything is good now. He went to law school with RandyD who recommended him to me.

Address: 402 W Broadway #1500, San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: (619) 231-1400
Old 07-18-2018, 12:43 AM

Steven Lieberman
http://www.ltccwlaw.com/
Old 07-18-2018, 2:35 PM

Near Riverside, CA... James Texieria. I like Jason Davis better. He is more passionate on 2A. Both when pissed will defend you vigorously.
Old 07-18-2018, 2:41 PM

I have spoken to Bruce Colodny, he has good information in his office on all things 2A but I do not know his track record as I went with James Texieria years ago.
Old 07-18-2018, 5:35 PM

Thanks all for your replies.

Spoke with my friend briefly today about the lawyer situation. He said J. Davis and Michel were rather pricey. I believed he also spoke with Bruce Colodny and he mentioned that his lawyer also talked to J. Davis. End result is that several of the lawyers think there is no good outcome for his case and to consider a plea deal. So now he is thinking of the plea deal he was offered.

I'll give him the additional referrals though just in case he changes his mind. I also suggested to him that he talk to Gerald Smith about the evidence against him to help spot any flaws but my friend thinks the evidence is pretty straight forward.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:04 AM

Michael Earle is the lawyer I would hire if I were in that situation.
Old 10-09-2018, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgee00 View Post
Michel & Assoc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How many criminal cases has Michel tried?
Old 10-09-2018, 7:26 AM

Many of you guys seem to be infatuated with a few lawyers who lurk here. There's not a single one you guys have glorified whom I'd hire for a leash law violation.

Self-promotion is a poor way of choosing a competent criminal defense attorney. The real deal criminal defense trial attorneys don't do self-promotion. Almost all of their clientele is referred to them by other lawyers.

Criminal trial attorneys, defense & prosecution, know who are best & who'd they'd hire were they in need of a criminal defense attorney. Ask 'em. Criminal judges know real deals and posers.

A gun forum referral is a very poor way of determining a good criminal defense trial attorney.

Stay away from lawyers who can spout case law like a squirrel hiding nuts. These guys are usually posers with no actual trial experience. The one you want will have a lot of actual trial experience, who knows his way around a courtroom because he's been inside a lot of 'em, knows the prosecution's case better than he does, knows elements of alleged crimes, and plausible defenses. He'll never make a promise.

Sit in a courtroom during criminal arraignments. When the real deal walks in, other lawyers in the court and the judge will acknowledge him and show him deference.

It's your *****. You're gonna have to get off it to find the best criminal defense attorney. He'll cost at least 5 bills per hour plus trial and expert witness costs.

It's quite enlightening to dine in a private room at a 5-star restaurant with judges, an elected DA, and criminal defense attorneys. When scotch flows, candid conversation commences. They're not reticent when it comes to outing moron pettifoggers and whom they respect.

BTW, not a single one piped on about case law. They did discuss legal strategy which included jury instructions.

Search engine, "Lawyer arrested," (there's usually a lawyer arrested every day), and read whom he's hired to represent him.

I still don't get the firearms lawyer thing that enamors a lot of your guys. Guns are never charged with crimes. Defendants (human beings) are charged with crimes. Guns can be an instrumentality of a crime. You need a criminal defense attorney, not a firearms lawyer, whatever that is.

I'd keep this dude's name right at the top of your list: http://www.jamesssweeney.com/

Sweeney had never lost a 1538.5/995 (motion to suppress, motion to dismiss)...until I hooked & booked two of his clients. As far as I know, that's the only one he's lost.

This dude should be on your short list: https://www.barnettbarnett.com/
Old 10-09-2018, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMP3 View Post

Sweeney had never lost a 1538.5/995 (motion to suppress, motion to dismiss)...until I hooked & booked two of his clients. As far as I know, that's the only one he's lost.
That actually speaks well for yourself because criminal defense attorney's should not win these motions if the LEOs have a good understanding of the law and have done their job correctly.

With respect to discussions about firearms laws, it is my opinion that we are generally not talking about trial strategy but the law itself, with the idea that if one knows and correctly understands the law, they can avoid being hooked & booked as you say.

Last edited by BAJ475; 10-09-2018 at 8:49 AM.. Reason: Add additional comment
Old 10-09-2018, 9:02 AM

" knows the prosecution's case better than he does"

Not only this, but knows the prosecutor as well.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:44 AM

For future searchers, I heard about a CCW holder who was in trouble for leaving a gun in a bathroom in a GFZ who got the charges dismissed with the help of this firm. Wasn't cheap, but good representation never is.
Old 10-09-2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
That actually speaks well for yourself because criminal defense attorney's should not win these motions if the LEOs have a good understanding of the law and have done their job correctly.

With respect to discussions about firearms laws, it is my opinion that we are generally not talking about trial strategy but the law itself, with the idea that if one knows and correctly understands the law, they can avoid being hooked & booked as you say.
They were felons in possession of narcotics. They did not have weapons.