Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:43 AM

Default Question for retirees

Edit to add: If this isn't the right forum for this, mods please use your magic and relocate appropriately.

The father (we'll call him John) of one of my closest friends (Mike) died on the 16th this month following an acute illness that put him in the hospital in early December. John was a 24 year Air Force Veteran.

Unfortunately, Mike's mom isn't up to speed on her survivor's benefits and whether John even contributed to it when he retired as an O5 back in the early '80s. After 55+ years of marriage, Mike's mom is obviously beside herself with her loss and not thinking about her finances, but Mike is.

Mike knows a retiree's income does not transfer to the spouse and any income benefits to her from his retirement would be from any SBA contributions he may or may not have made starting when he retired ... and that's the issue. Mike doesn't know where to look to see if John even contributed to an SBA.

How would he find out? Would it be listed on a retirement "check-stub?" If John did contribute, who would Mike contact to inform them of John's death and begin disbursement of said allotments?

Last edited by diveRN; 01-19-2016 at 10:52 AM..
Old 01-19-2016, 11:38 AM
Banned

Did John get Compensation and or sign up with the VA's life insurance? Does he have a Last Will and Testament?

Read this...

http://m.military.com/benefits/survi...explained.html

Last edited by DysfunctionalVet; 01-19-2016 at 11:43 AM..
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DysfunctionalVet View Post
Did John get Compensation and or sign up with the VA's life insurance? Does he have a Last Will and Testament?

Read this...

http://m.military.com/benefits/survi...explained.html
From what Mike has told me, John was fairly thorough in his retirement planning, but there were some pretty glaring holes (Mike's words) in his finances... whatever that means. I don't know any other details beyond what you've read here, other than Mike says his mom is going to be in for a bit of a financial adjustment. Not only did he have his AF retirement, he also had one from American Airlines, both of which are now gone.

I guess I could've Googled this, so thanks for posting.