Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated > Manual Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2015, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

Default Long .338, Short 6.5mm

36" Bartlein .338LM Improved 1:10/9 twist after being step contoured and fluted. Launches 300gr bullets at 3150fps!

19" Trueflight 6.5x47L 1:8 twist heavy contour. If I was staying in New Zealand, this would be my Red Stag setup - compact, portable, crazy accurate inside 600m

If you’re driven by partisan tribalism more than ideology, if getting in rhetorical digs at liberals thrills you more than persuading adversaries or achieving policy victories, it makes sense that you would fight substantively inconsequential battles with no more or less vigor than any other…

Last edited by brando; 06-10-2015 at 4:29 PM..
Old 06-10-2015, 4:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Very nice.

Are they on the same chassis? If so, how do you handle the zero when you change over?
Old 06-10-2015, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Damn, that second picture came out huge - apologies, fixed.

Yes, the same chassis. The SRS is designed around multi-cartridge conversions. Each barrel swap has an offset that's repeatable, so in my logbook I have these listed and either adjust the turrets accordingly or adjust my calculations.

If you’re driven by partisan tribalism more than ideology, if getting in rhetorical digs at liberals thrills you more than persuading adversaries or achieving policy victories, it makes sense that you would fight substantively inconsequential battles with no more or less vigor than any other…
Old 06-28-2015, 1:22 AM
Calguns Addict

That's a really nice setup. Really digging the .338 barrel.

What bipod are you using on your DTA? How does it mount onto the rifle?
Old 06-28-2015, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

It was a custom bipod made by Lloyd at RND Precision. I prefer center-bore or above-bore bipods on larger precision rifles. In this case I had him take the bipod design he did for my .408CT and make it rail mounted on the side. There's no twist and cant is controlled by adjusting the bipod legs, so it's supremely stable. But this was when my only barrels were for very long range shooting. I wouldn't use this bipod in a match when I had to engage close movers, for example, because of that lack of twist. But when shooting beyond a mile, it's perfect.

Old 06-28-2015, 9:02 AM

Such a bad *** looking rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-28-2015, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

It's old too - one of the first SRSs in CA back in early 2009. Hence no monopod, among other things, but it became so useful to me that I sold most of my other bolt guns over time.

Old 06-28-2015, 8:45 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've got a SERIOUS case of barrel envy. I will say that I think the old brake you have is better than the new brakes. The new brakes have a clamshell design to make them more efficient, but they have made them very small in diameter in order for them to have outer threads at the base to screw a suppressor on top of the brake. If you aren't shooting suppressed, the small brakes are a bit punishing on their big guns.

Also, I like the way the bolt is swept back on the SRSs over the straight bolt on the HTI. I suppose that is for faster cycling on the SRSs vs. slower with more leverage on the HTI.

Due to the perfect repeatability of the zero, I just program the offset in my Kestrel so it just corrects you at all distances. I currently have only two barrels on mine with a couple twin blanks waiting on a reamer. I zeroed for my 375, then out of pure coincidence, my 416 is at the exact same windage, but it shoots 0.5 mil higher at the same distance and my zero stop is designed to go to -0.5 mil so it works out perfectly.

I am looking forward to shooting 338 Lapua Improved with you, but I am at a serious disadvantage with my short barrel. As it is, my Lapua with my Ackley barrel measures out at 53", which makes the bullpup configuration or a folding stock something I really wish I had on the rifle.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

The old brake is much more efficient at mitigating recoil compared to the QD brakes. But obviously the later are designed to be shot with suppressors, which by design tend to mitigate recoil a bit anyway. The brakes are handy as they take a substantial amount of the energy so that it's not all focused on the blast baffle. And with .338LM, I tend to find a good suppressor will cut the recoil almost in half or slow the impulse down enough that it's softer.

Old 06-29-2015, 3:35 PM
Internet Warrior

Yep, but in CA we don't use suppressors. However, even if they were allowed, they are so damn expensive, it seems that I'd just get a bigger brake. I wanted to get an Armalite brake, but they didn't have it immediately for sale. For me, the bigger the brake, the better. I want to the most surface area and the greatest volume of gas displaced. For the guns that need a big brake, the extra weight of the brake is a good thing too.

This is why I like big brakes on long long barrels. When it comes to brakes, the best brake is the one you don't notice, but pisses everyone else off. That's why when I go to a public range, I try to go when it isn't too crowed, and I go to a vacant area and plop my rifle down with the biggest brake so folks can see it and avoid me if it is a big deal. You'd think they'd have the common sense to not sit in the bench next to me. Nope, then they get offended by my brake.

I mostly shoot them in the desert though. I use a shooting mat, and another shooting mat for my brake so it doesn't create a dust storm.
Old 06-29-2015, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

All of my barrels with QD brakes had them because I ran suppressors. The long barrel has the traditional brake because I didn't plan to run one and it's a magnum and therefore needs a proper brake. The only barrel I'm going to switch the brake on now that I'm in CA is the 18" .338LM - probably a Fat Bastard or traditional DTA brake. The other barrels have such negligible recoil that I'm not going to bother changing them.

Old 06-29-2015, 4:57 PM
Internet Warrior

Oh boy, you are going to feel it on an 18" Lapua off a bullpup with no suppressor. I am going fat bastard 2x on my 338 Ackley and 3x on my CheyTac, mostly because they looked okay in design and were readily available at a reasonable price. Just a thought, you may want the old DTA style as it looks like they have more orthogonal ports, this would probably help divert sideways over back at you. The APA, like the new DT brakes has more of a clamshell design and this might sent it right back at you in a short barrel. The Sako brake, though it has metric threads, may be a way to go as looks to be very similar to your old style DTA brake as a large brake with three large orthogonal ports in the event an old DTA is hard to find. This is the one circumstance where the suppressor law is really dumb.
Old 06-30-2015, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

I've shot the 18" with the QD brake and no supressor and it sure is a beast. It kicks like a mule and also kicks up so much dust. I reckon any brake will do that last bit. It also kicks out a flame in low light that's impressive.