Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-15-2024, 3:18 PM

Default Fish Antibiotic Sales Banned?

Hello,
Does anyone have any info on how to buy fish antibiotics?
It appears companies have been warned by the FDA not to sell without a prescription.
Any work arounds?
Old 03-15-2024, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

A few years back when I had several large saltwater tanks and even back then some meds were difficult to find locally, (Vista area). That was before Internet, and I doubt that will be of any assistance theses days.

Be it for preps or aquariums, good luck.

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 03-15-2024, 7:09 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabell View Post
Hello,
Does anyone have any info on how to buy fish antibiotics?
It appears companies have been warned by the FDA not to sell without a prescription.
Any work arounds?
Not in the US.

I think it was 2022 when FDA required prescriptions for animal ABX; I found the doc a few weeks ago.
Old 03-16-2024, 8:02 AM

FDA Letter - https://www.fda.gov/inspections-comp...64707-11302023

Explanation on fishbiotics access changes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoTe...rBonesNurseAmy
Old 03-16-2024, 1:50 PM
Administrator

And here is that FDA general announcement, 2023

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinar...ription-status
Old 03-18-2024, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

This has been a case of cat and mouse for a long time. The FDA cracks down on "illegal" antibiotic sales, but a new manufacturer/distributer shows up eventually.

The message is clear; you are too stupid to make your own medical decisions and responsibly use antibiotics. Nothing that can't be solved by a road trip to Mexico and making friends with someone in India.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
The message is clear; you are too stupid to make your own medical decisions and responsibly use antibiotics.
But also, fish antibiotics are not manufactured for people to eat. Who knows what the hell is in them, it's certainly not tested or controlled for impurities etc. Screwing up the dosage can destroy your gut biome too. I'm all for self-reliance and preparation where practical, but I've never understood the fish antibiotics thing, and how anyone thinks that will actually work. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the message you said should be obvious - lots of people probably are too stupid to not kill themselves.
Old 03-22-2024, 1:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
But also, fish antibiotics are not manufactured for people to eat. Who knows what the hell is in them, it's certainly not tested or controlled for impurities etc. Screwing up the dosage can destroy your gut biome too. I'm all for self-reliance and preparation where practical, but I've never understood the fish antibiotics thing, and how anyone thinks that will actually work. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the message you said should be obvious - lots of people probably are too stupid to not kill themselves.
Dr Alton (Doom and Bloom) has several videos: https://www.doomandbloom.net/category/antibiotics-2/, including the one TheChief already posted. Watch one or two - if this is an interest of yours, the vids will be worth your time.

Generally, the fish abx are exactly the same thing, in the same pill/capsule form, in the same doses, from the same manufacturers as the human-marketed products.

I'm sure one could find inferior products in some cases.
Old 03-23-2024, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
YES...... YES.......YES....... control me more big daddy government..... control me more!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2024, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Dr Alton (Doom and Bloom) has several videos: https://www.doomandbloom.net/category/antibiotics-2/, including the one TheChief already posted. Watch one or two - if this is an interest of yours, the vids will be worth your time.

Generally, the fish abx are exactly the same thing, in the same pill/capsule form, in the same doses, from the same manufacturers as the human-marketed products.

I'm sure one could find inferior products in some cases.
This. Same exact pills. I have ponds and the stuff I use for fish is in bulk, not in pills packaged for human consumption.