Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Twice.

First time in 1996, a few months after I got on. Didn't ID myself. Less than 10 over on PCH at midnight trying to get home before I fell asleep. Took it and went to traffic school. Got teased about it in traffic school from the civilians... oh well. Funny thing was, that month, 4 of us in the same agency got ticketed by 2 different agencies, both of which do not wear navy blue.

Second time in 1999, riding my motorcycle with friends. Went up to about 80mph trying to catch some of them at the off-ramp to a well-known canyon road. Got pulled over in a whole group. Everyone got ticketed. I didn't ID myself until it was my turn and the guy decided to make me an example by loudly declaring in front of the whole group that I should know better and blah blah blah and went through my bike with a fine toothed comb and basically paper-****ed me. Everyone else got off with a speeding.

This guy was a well-known Adam Henry in that area. He tickets every single person without exception... well... a few exceptions. He ticked one of my buddies for going 2mph (!) over. No joke. I saw the ticket... 57mph in a 55mph. I think he issued it as a Contempt of Cop ticket because my friend has a Subaru WRX with the factory stock gold BBS rims. He tried to ream my friend about fixing up his car and my friend insisted it was stock. Next thing you know, he gets the speeding ticket.

I don't mind the ticket. I did the crime, I'll do the time. But for me, it's a lecture or a ticket, not both. I never ticket a LEO or family of a LEO unless it's egregious or they do the "crack window and flip out badge" routine. Nobody has done that to me though.

On the flipside, I have also been let off a lot by LEO's, including one CHP motor guy who was more than professional even before I found out I was LEO. He just said be careful because there are lots of guys driving faster than me. LAPD motor also was very professional. They don't even bother talking to you once they see you're a LEO. They just run off to find the next guy to pull over.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo View Post
About a year before that, while he still lived in Portland and worked for the same agency out there, he got pulled over by the CHP in NorCal doing 100+. It was Monday morning, he'd been partying all weekend in LA and he to report for duty at like 0800, so he left here at about 1800 the day before and hauled *** up to OR. He was in uniform.
BoP, VA, or FPS?

Postal Police?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

Eh, kinda dated, but my deceased grandfather NEVER EVER got a ticket (mostly in SoCal in retirement) - always carried his OPD badge.

I remember my grandmother telling a story about one cop that was so pissed off because he really wanted to ticket him (speeding I think).

Old 01-05-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
I heard that 10-20 years ago that the CHP and Bakersfield PD got into a ticket war. Someone got a ticket that didn't like it so they started targeting the other agency. Then some relatives (wives or mothers) started getting targeted too. Then the administration stepped in and said knock it off.
My old Lt. told me the same thing happened with Santa Clarita Station (LASD) and CHP. Both Captains had lunch together and said it needed to stop. They drafted identical memos on their respective dept. letterhead and briefed their personnel. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"

Last edited by Gnome; 01-05-2011 at 12:59 AM..
Old 01-05-2011, 7:05 AM

I am not and was never an LEO...

But I did have a Police Department ID.

The only time I used the ID was in Palmdale. It was obvious to me the deputy was fishing for tweakers, so I spoke to him, backed it up with my ID, and he was nice enough to let me go.

IMO, getting your plates fixed is a bad idea (at least for non-sworns). If you were doing something really stupid, all the officer needs to do is talk to your WC. WC's are scary people when they are mad. Gimme a ticket instead.

EDIT: Ticket wars do happen between departments. Thats another reason I would keep my mouth shut about where I worked when I got pulled over.

Last edited by bubbagump; 01-05-2011 at 7:09 AM..
Old 01-05-2011, 7:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
BoP, VA, or FPS?

Postal Police?
I'd rather not say specifically, but you have it in there.
Old 01-05-2011, 3:14 PM

This video was made in response to LAPD pulling over two LASD deputies in uniform on-duty at gunpoint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEPu_i-q_NE

Yes it is an old video...but well worth watching
Old 01-05-2011, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
There's an LASD urban legend about a motor up around the Santa Clarita area who is ruthless. They say this guy has no problems giving off duty coppers a ticket. Even his own mother isn't safe.
I know a motor in the South Bay of San Diego that is ruthless. He actually gave someone in our office a ticket when we were operational, and even had the Op Plan on the front seat to prove it.

Last edited by veeklog; 01-05-2011 at 4:26 PM..
Old 01-05-2011, 4:00 PM

NOT a leo but the video is funny as hell . my brother in law was the son the the cheif in his town . he said the always warned him , asked how his dad was & let him go . they knew who he was .

But as for me , I always have both hands on wheel . turn off radio & remove sunglasses ( if wearing them ) before the officer gets to window . I can tell you just being polite , less than 10 over & respectful prevented me from getting tickets .

what did suck was I got talked with ( cars were side by side at light. ) 3 times after moving back to a crappy hood just because I was white . I always carried my old lic with me just to show I " belonged " there . And yes , the majority of white people in that area were there for the hookers or buying drugs . Years later I worked at a gun shop & talked to the officers that worked in that area & they said they would have pulled me over too . I never did anything wrong & keep out of trouble so I never cared about it . If anything they were doing their job , trying to "clean up " they area .
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw91364 View Post
This video was made in response to LAPD pulling over two LASD deputies in uniform on-duty at gunpoint:

This was hilarious! I had always heard about this incident, and subsequent video, but never could find it on Youtube. LAPD...gotta love 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 AM

On Christmas eve 2003, I was driving my family in my mini-van in a rural part of the county I work for. I was speeding. I was driving 75mph in a 55mph. CHP officer stopped me and asked for the usual. I retrieved my CDL and gave it to him. My flat badge was visible when I provided the CDL. The officer asked "You got something to say?" I shrugged my shoulders and said "Well?" He replied with "I'll be back with your ticket." When he returned to my vehicle, he said "If you had something to say, you should of said it. I cited you for 65 in a 55. Sign here."

I paid the $120 fine and refused to go to traffic school. I am 34yoa, that's the only ticket I've ever received.

Officer Moeser of Golden Gate Division will always have a special place in my heart. I only remember his name because I went to school with his daughters; not because I hold a grudge.
Old 01-06-2011, 1:01 AM

The P.D. I worked for was surrounded by 3 LASD stations, and another city P.D. It was very common to back each other up on traffic stops, pursuits, and large parties and disturbances. When I worked detectives we worked cases together quite often.
Every time we backed each other up, whether it was a traffic stop, or a major disturbance I knew the other officers or deputies would risk life or limb for me, just like I would for them.
So when I was working, I never wrote another cop a ticket, and so far none have ever written me one.
Old 01-06-2011, 6:06 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

That was a pretty darn funny video. Those guys did a great job putting it together. I would think it would be well worth the ten days off.
Old 01-06-2011, 1:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In my younger days, I did receive a cite from a CHP officer, I was doing 65 on the freeway and was going to my military weekend drill in uniform. I didn't have a weapon in the car because of base regulations at my destination. I didn't ID myself for that reason. The officer was quite professional and I was deserving of the cite.

On another occasion, I was travelling northbound through the Grapevine and was in excess of the limit descending into the valley toward the I5/I99 interchange. I saw a CHP unit at least a mile behind me do a quick lane change and then pull in front of a semi in an apparent attempt to conceal himself using the semi as a background. I had guns in the car, so I pulled over, got out and sat on the trunk and waited. The officer came up to me and asked "do you know why I stopped you?", I replied (in a friendly, non challenging tone) that he didn't stop me, I had been stopped for nearly a minute, patiently awaiting his arrival, since seeing his maneuver around the truck. He got a kinda distressed look on his face and then looked toward the ground and asked "what agency do you work for?"

Over the years, I made friends with several CHP officers and have made the friendly observation that many CHP officer would cite their own mothers. One of them took umbrage at my comment and assured me that he could never cite his own mother. I asked him why. He relied that his mother knew better than to drive in any jurisdiction that he worked in.

Then I understood.
Old 01-06-2011, 4:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
That was a pretty darn funny video. Those guys did a great job putting it together. I would think it would be well worth the ten days off.
The deputies came to our station when they showed this video and it was even more hilarious with some of their face to face comments as the video ran.

As far as I know, they did not get anytime off and they shouldn't have, they were almost killed in that incident. But you are correct, it would be worth it.

They made sure the LAPD Chief (who I believe was Gates) got a copy, along with many units on their dept.
Old 01-06-2011, 7:07 PM

I got tagged by CHP many years ago. I didn't identify myself until after the cite was issued because I deserved it. Boy was he pissed when I told him. He went on and on about how bad he felt. I told him not to sweat it.
Old 01-06-2011, 7:10 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex00 View Post
I've never been ticketed as an LEO. But then, I rarely got ticketed before I was hired-on, either. I was cut some serious breaks by CHP and local Police as a kid.

About once a year I hear of one of my partners getting ticketed. Its always from the same agency (that shall remain nameless). I don't expect professional courtesy, but am glad when I get it. I have not, and outside of some crazy, earth shattering reason, will not ticket an LEO, parent, or significant other.
There you go. No one is above the law. Status quo. Don't complain when the Governor commutes the sencence of a felon for political payback. And you wonder why some of us "little people" complain about the police.
Old 01-06-2011, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djandj View Post
There you go. No one is above the law. Status quo. Don't complain when the Governor commutes the sencence of a felon for political payback. And you wonder why some of us "little people" complain about the police.
Newsflash for you - we ALL should be complaining when criminals go free...

What is your problem? Nevermind, just gonna ::click::

Last edited by retired; 01-10-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 PM

I got a red light camera ticket off duty. Some of our other Officers were cited for red light camera tickets while on duty. And a fellow CHP Officer was cited because he knew he made a mistake and took the ticket. As far as CHP citing the COs. Its because they always speed and expect to get off with bad attitude, not all, but some (or most that I stop). And the reason for the courtesy you ask? Well, if im on duty and get into a fight on the side of the road, hopefully an off duty LEO will stop and help me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
My staff is now at 10 beers, and has a tactical red lgt ont it, and is being ttached to me by a single point sling

i AM THE WISEST MOST TACTICAL WIZARD
Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB View Post
I send something out to another print shop that we can't do...I don't pay what you guys pay....same thing in my eyes. Professional courtesy is professional courtesy. Just wondering how often it really happens.
No, it's not the same. Getting a little break on the price of something you were going to buy anyway is not the same as the financial burden of a $500 ticket and the attendant rise in automobile insurance costs. Not even close.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
The deputies came to our station when they showed this video and it was even more hilarious with some of their face to face comments as the video ran.

As far as I know, they did not get anytime off and they shouldn't have, they were almost killed in that incident. But you are correct, it would be worth it.

They made sure the LAPD Chief (who I believe was Gates) got a copy, along with many units on their dept.
I heard about it when I was first hired on. We worked with 3 LAPD divisions surrounding us and were always working with them one way or another. Heck, more than a few times, our guys ended up on LAPD: Life on the Beat because our stuff ended up there or their stuff ended up here.

I laughed when I heard about it but to actually see it, it's even better than the legend. Those guys in the video were awesome... that deadpan serious look of the uniformed deputy is priceless... and so was that skeleton for the last part of the deputy identification test. Didn't look like the skeleton was too crazy about being a participant though.
Old 01-07-2011, 1:06 AM
Calguns Addict

I have a family LE member, he said his agency tells them not to carry their credentials visible with their license. I asked if you get pulled over, do you tell the officer you are LE. He said when he reaches for his wallet he informs the officer that he has his duty weapon on the same side as his wallet and not to be alarmed. Then the questions come and it becomes evident that he is LE.
Old 01-08-2011, 9:42 PM
Banned

I live in Sacramento County and the Roseville police are ruthless on off duty cops. They make it a point to cite off duty cops. I don't cite other cops. I rarely even cite good citizens!!

Last edited by retired; 01-10-2011 at 11:05 AM..
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

True dat!

I very seldomly cite people and those that I cite have committed some egregious violation and then copped a 'tude or lied to me about it. I saw what you did. I know what you did. Be upfront and admit it. I'll be cool if it's not a big deal.
Old 01-09-2011, 1:32 PM

I'm not LEO, but my cousin is a Sherrif's Deputy and doesn't ticket good guys (meaning anyone who's on the spot and have their info organized). He gives more verbal warnings than tickets. A postitive attitude goes a long way with him.

Last edited by pTa; 01-09-2011 at 1:36 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

Never took steroids, don't need it.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Huh? You must have misunderstood my post? While I COMPLETELY AGREE that the COST of tickets today is absolutly oppressive for the average driver....the point I made is that I understand WHY one LEO may choose to not ticket someone once they've discovered that the offender is also LEO. My analogy is solid. On the occasion that I send out printing....I am likely to pay HALF of what you would pay...Not exactly a "little break" but that's one of the professional courtesies that I would enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
No, it's not the same. Getting a little break on the price of something you were going to buy anyway is not the same as the financial burden of a $500 ticket and the attendant rise in automobile insurance costs. Not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB
I send something out to another print shop that we can't do...I don't pay what you guys pay....same thing in my eyes. Professional courtesy is professional courtesy. Just wondering how often it really happens.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmzhwells View Post
I got a red light camera ticket off duty. Some of our other Officers were cited for red light camera tickets while on duty. And a fellow CHP Officer was cited because he knew he made a mistake and took the ticket. As far as CHP citing the COs. Its because they always speed and expect to get off with bad attitude, not all, but some (or most that I stop). And the reason for the courtesy you ask? Well, if im on duty and get into a fight on the side of the road, hopefully an off duty LEO will stop and help me.
So then normal civilians should just ignore you and cruise by? I'll remember if I ever seen this to tell the LEO he should have extended "professional courtesy" to me otherwise I would have helped him ****ing retarded, we're all people we should help each other because that's whats right to do, I guess this is why many LEOs have a bad attitude toward "civilians".

I've had mostly good experiences with LEO and always try to be respectful, the only LEO that ever gave me respect back was a CHP.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex00 View Post
This is exactly it. I know I take my chances when I drive fast, or don't have front plate. I would never ask for professional courtesy. I get offended when I am asked, but it's usually security guards that ask. I don't carry a badge in my wallet, but announce to the officer that I am armed. I would gladly sign any ticket given to me, and wouldn't try to make the officer feel bad for doing his job. I've heard horror stories about people asking for professional courtesy.
Thank you very much, I wish we had more like you.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB View Post
Huh? You must have misunderstood my post? While I COMPLETELY AGREE that the COST of tickets today is absolutly oppressive for the average driver....the point I made is that I understand WHY one LEO may choose to not ticket someone once they've discovered that the offender is also LEO. My analogy is solid. On the occasion that I send out printing....I am likely to pay HALF of what you would pay...Not exactly a "little break" but that's one of the professional courtesies that I would enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB
Absolutely has no corralation.
Old 01-10-2011, 5:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm of Life View Post
3 posts deleted in this thread by the mods..... I said it was dishonorable and disrespectful to have a double standard. Apparently Mods disagreed.

Equality? Not if we are talking laws and politics....

Well first of all, you posted this three times, so no wonder they deleted your posts. We heard you the first time. Second I highly doubt they deleted your thread just because you said, "it was dishonorable and disrespectful to have a double standard." I am willing to be you threw in some colorful language or used a synonymous word for "police officer".

And finally, this isn't a First Amendment forum. This is a privately owned 2nd Amendment forum and a LEO specific sub-forum. Your First Amendment rights don't exist here so if they want to delete your posts, they can. They don't even need a reason.

Done with the riff-raff, I have also heard from buddies that you do not want to speed when driving home or back to the CHP academy. Cadets will get a ticket for sure. Even if you wisely don't identify yourself, you are still going to have to report it and they look down on that while you are in the hiring process.
Old 01-10-2011, 6:51 AM
Veteran Member

I thought that was a server error and it got sent to me 3G and then I saw the content was different. Guess when it's that good, why not repeat it a few times?

We were told the same thing in the academy. Better not identify yourself if you get pulled over as a cadet, or worse, an officer when you're not an officer. Don't hang the cadet uniform in the car so people can see or hope the officer that pulled you over will give you a break because of it. That would make someone an ex-cadet right quick.
Old 01-10-2011, 7:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScott View Post
I may be wrong but I think LEO's should be held to a higher standard and should be ticketed. Mandatory or something.
I stopped a guy once for speeding and he was wearing a shirt with the logo of a large chain of retail stores. Before I asked for his Driver's License the first thing he asked me was for a break. I told him he was going 25mph over the speed limit in a school zone with children present and a break was probably not in the cards for him that day. He spouted off that if he was a cop that I wouldn't write him the ticket and would offer up a "professional courtesy".

When I returned to his car with the cite he again asked for a break and again mentioned "if it was another cop...." thing. I asked him if his employeer offers its employees a discount on things purchased at his store. He smiled widely and said they get a 20% employee discount. I asked if I went into the store to buy an item and I asked for the employee discount if I would be allowed that same discount and he said "heck no". I told him if I wanted to not cite another cop on a minor traffic violation then I considered that an "employee discount"....sign here please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

Last edited by yzErnie; 01-10-2011 at 7:12 AM..
Closed Thread