Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2017, 8:03 PM

Took about 9 months for me for DOJ to update. Hopefully less for y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicopilot View Post
Petition to re-sentence on 9/11/2017.

JUS 8715 forwarded to DOJ 11/08/17

What the hell took 2 months to send??

How long should I give the DOJ before I try another LiveScan?

I'm assuming at this point that it's going to be at least 9/11/2018 before I'm able to buy a firearm, IF they end up allowing it for anyone.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckey7 View Post
Took about 9 months for me for DOJ to update. Hopefully less for y'all
And have you been approved on your DROS now after these 9 months?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilexi View Post
Correct, Redesignated to a lesser crime misdemeanor
So what are you saying? if you read the section i posted as its written it clearly states for those penal codes that it should be sealed after dismissal or reduction
Old 11-26-2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70blazer74 View Post
So what are you saying? if you read the section i posted as its written it clearly states for those penal codes that it should be sealed after dismissal or reduction
my apologies I'm wrong and you are right
Old 11-26-2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
And have you been approved on your DROS now after these 9 months?
I haven't DROSed anything yet. I got a approved PFEC so I know I'm good.
Old 11-26-2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
I haven't DROSed anything yet. I got a approved PFEC so I know I'm good.
Can you tell us more? You got your felony or felonies reduced? When was that? Have you successfully purchased a firearm since?
Old 11-26-2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Can you tell us more? You got your felony or felonies reduced? When was that? Have you successfully purchased a firearm since?

I have not gone to DROS because Im waiting for my new Californias drivers license in the mail..Ill start with a AR lower to see if I pass DROS. I passed a PFEC though so I've lived in California my whole life so I doubt I would fail a DROS...ive made it this far..crossing my fingers
Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I have not gone to DROS because Im waiting for my new Californias drivers license in the mail..Ill start with a AR lower to see if I pass DROS. I passed a PFEC though so I've lived in California my whole life so I doubt I would fail a DROS...ive made it this far..crossing my fingers

So did you have a conviction that was reduced under prop 64? If so when did you file and what was the outcome? All of us are stuck in limbo waiting on the state to pull its head from its ***
Old 11-27-2017, 11:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
[snip]I passed a PFEC though so I've lived in California my whole life so I doubt I would fail a DROS...ive made it this far..crossing my fingers
When did you file the PFEC and how long was the turn-around? I'm curious if they have improved turn-around time, compared to the almost 7 months that mine took.
Old 11-27-2017, 3:56 PM

From what I understand the PFEC is not allowed to check NICS. So even though you are clear in California, the Feds may still deny it. PFEC is really only useful as a defense if you were to be charged with attempting to purchase a firearm as a felon. The fact you waited to DROS until after you did your PFEC should keep California from reporting your felony information to NICS if they haven’t already. NICS shows last time my record was updated was 2/7/17 after I first DROS’d. It will be great for others to know if PFEC makes the difference going forward. Once somebody finally gets a gun we need to make a list of best steps to take.

As far as sealing your record it 11361.8(e) says it should be sealed if now legally invalid ( no longer a crime at all) “OR” redesignated as a misdemeanor or infraction (in my case 4 ounces is still a misdeamenor)
Old 11-29-2017, 9:09 PM

When you file the appeal with the DOJ, did every one send certified court copies? I have my court docs from the time of the petition being granted. I have read somewhere that they want certified copies, but the paper work they sent me says nothing on certified copies.
Old 12-01-2017, 9:19 AM

Quote:
When you file the appeal with the DOJ, did every one send certified court copies? I have my court docs from the time of the petition being granted. I have read somewhere that they want certified copies, but the paper work they sent me says nothing on certified copies.
I did, although i am not sure it matters as they contact the reporting agency for clarification. Send it registered mail return receipt so you know they got it and when. Then be patient. They got mine on June 5th. I got a letter from them on July 7th saying they received it and and will investigate. nothing after that. Gonna go by the court house and see if they actually sent JUS8715 and when. If they did and its been a few months I am tempted to do another live scan to see if there are any changes.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:42 AM

How long after the court sends the JUS8715 *SHOULD* a livescan show up properly?
Old 12-02-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
How long after the court sends the JUS8715 *SHOULD* a livescan show up properly?
*WHO KNOWS* but you'd think 30-60 days. Seems like 4-6 months or more right now. Here's how reporting a disposition is supposed to work... https://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/...brochure_0.pdf

Last edited by The Papa; 12-02-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 12-02-2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumeazy View Post
I did, although i am not sure it matters as they contact the reporting agency for clarification. Send it registered mail return receipt so you know they got it and when. Then be patient. They got mine on June 5th. I got a letter from them on July 7th saying they received it and and will investigate. nothing after that. Gonna go by the court house and see if they actually sent JUS8715 and when. If they did and its been a few months I am tempted to do another live scan to see if there are any changes.

Have you called the number they provide to ask for an update?

I really can't believe that it takes this long to update a record. With as many people convicted of crimes daily in California, i bet DOJ has no problem adding that conviction to someones record right away. It a deliberate attempt to bypass the law on their part
Old 12-04-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Coincidentally I was just looking into getting the misdemeanor expunged as well. I assume it's something we can do without an attorney? I wonder what the net effect is, whether it even matters or not to get it expunged.

I mean, for the love of GOD, getting rid of the felonies was the best thing to happen to me in YEARS.

Special thank you to Prop 64 YES voters!
No kidding right? I completed the expungement hearing and was granted everything a-ok. I had a reason that I thought it would help but I can't recall what that is now... I should've replied back sooner lol. I've been trying to join up with the local RACES group, ham operators for emergency comms that works with your local government often. I need a city ID badge and clearance for it so I'm getting live scans done on the house, haha. I failed the first one which I did just before I got the resentencing approved, so I'm going to wait a little, do another, fail, and then send in all of the appeal paperwork and then just keep doing scans until I'm clear. Hopefully with the expungement and the e-comm group I'll have an easier time getting updated. Not expecting it but who knows.
Old 12-04-2017, 3:37 PM

I just found out my court sent DOJ the JUS8715 form on May 24th
Old 12-05-2017, 10:32 AM

BAH!!!

How'd you find that out? I want to stay on top of that and make sure it goes out in a reasonable amount of time. Just checked the online county court records and my case has been adjusted to Not Guilty and Misdemeanors. Pretty psyched about that
Old 12-05-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by million_ants View Post
BAH!!!

How'd you find that out? I want to stay on top of that and make sure it goes out in a reasonable amount of time. Just checked the online county court records and my case has been adjusted to Not Guilty and Misdemeanors. Pretty psyched about that
That's usually the first change you see. I called the court house/ Felony division records and asked them if Form JUS8715 was ever submitted and if so when. She stated it was and gave me that date. I asked if I could get a copy but she was unsure if I could and her supervisor wasn't available to ask. She asked me to call back tomorrow which is today.
Old 12-05-2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
When did you file the PFEC and how long was the turn-around? I'm curious if they have improved turn-around time, compared to the almost 7 months that mine took.
Under 3 weeks
Old 12-05-2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
So did you have a conviction that was reduced under prop 64? If so when did you file and what was the outcome? All of us are stuck in limbo waiting on the state to pull its head from its ***
DOJ was notified in Feb this year. I did like 3 live scans and finally gave up. I just did one in Oct and found it updated!
Old 12-05-2017, 4:24 PM

Luckey7- Have you attempted a DROS yet?
Old 12-05-2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
DOJ was notified in Feb this year. I did like 3 live scans and finally gave up. I just did one in Oct and found it updated!
I'm dying to know what it looks like, whether it says felony anywhere on it, basically just what it looks like. Would you mind posting a redacted image of it?
Old 12-05-2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Papa View Post
Luckey7- Have you attempted a DROS yet?
Still waiting got my ID in the mail then I go straight to the gun store to DROS an AR15 lower
Old 12-05-2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
I'm dying to know what it looks like, whether it says felony anywhere on it, basically just what it looks like. Would you mind posting a redacted image of it?
Mine was handled differently there is nothing to show you since its completely gone off my live scan. My court sealed it
Old 12-05-2017, 6:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Under 3 weeks
Wow, thanks, I did one in June 16, finally got it in my January this year. Guess they got their act together.
Old 12-06-2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Papa View Post
That's usually the first change you see. I called the court house/ Felony division records and asked them if Form JUS8715 was ever submitted and if so when. She stated it was and gave me that date. I asked if I could get a copy but she was unsure if I could and her supervisor wasn't available to ask. She asked me to call back tomorrow which is today.
I know I know... quoting yourself is lame LOL but I just spoke to my local Felony division regarding my JUS8715 and they say it's not available for public record but the Supervisor did ask what my concern was and she informed me that my 1203.4 paperwork was sent a few weeks prior to the reduction paperwork but in deed both were sent. She will resend the DOJ my reduction today and she said give it a few weeks to be filed and then maybe do another live scan. She also said to call the DOJ to follow up and I asked for the direct line she had because it's IMPOSSIBLE to speak to anyone in record review with the public numbers listed. She laughed and said... "I've heard"
Old 12-06-2017, 5:52 PM

Default PROP 64 reducing felony to a misdemeanor

Picked up my gun today on an undetermined after 30 days on 8th DROS. 11 months and two days since first DROS.

Last edited by Kellon; 12-07-2017 at 3:09 AM..
Old 12-06-2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellon View Post
Picked up my gun today on an undetermined after 30 days on 8th DROS. 11 months and two days since first DROS.
OH man how did that feel!!
Old 12-06-2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Congratulations!
Old 12-06-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Hallelujah! But come on....
Old 12-07-2017, 4:34 AM

Quote:

Page 2 of 2 is just a record when I live scanned to coach H.S. Football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 5:25 AM

Quote:

Page 2 of 2 is just a record when I live scanned to coach H.S. Football.

West 3rd St? I used to live right by there at 2nd/Ivy.

Congrats!

Bummer that it still shows that you (we) were convicted of a felony even though it was later reduced. I don't want felonies ever associated with my name again.
Old 12-07-2017, 6:16 AM

Quote:
You've given the rest of us hope.

sent from the internets
Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
So going to wait for my year to be up. Looks like this is how the ATF handles any dispositions in any drug case. See slide 31. http://www.nadcp.org/sites/default/f...uts/E/E-17.pdf
So looks like the "waiting one year" doesn't apply?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumeazy View Post
You've given the rest of us hope.

sent from the internets

Ya looks like it. I had only DROSíd to make sure it didnít bump back to felon. Not sure what was the magic that happened, maybe DOJ finally decided to handle prop 64 correctly. Hopefully Iím just the first trickle through and now the floodgates will open.

Since it did come back undetermined, I would make sure to only buy from a dealer that releases on undetermined.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Ya looks like it. I had only DROSíd to make sure it didnít bump back to felon. Not sure what was the magic that happened, maybe DOJ finally decided to handle prop 64 correctly. Hopefully Iím just the first trickle through and now the floodgates will open.

Since it did come back undetermined, I would make sure to only buy from a dealer that releases on undetermined.

Yea no Turner's here, even though they do have great sales.

sent from the internets
Old 12-08-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
YOUR STOKED!
Old 12-11-2017, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Awesome, congrats!

There is a light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 12-12-2017, 7:20 AM

Maybe what we can do is come up with a compiled chunk of info that summarizes everything we know, with timelines from people who are really trying to make this happen.

For example:

1. File petition with the court to have felony reduced to misdemeanor.
Submitted to court in early July 2017.

2. Timeline (in my case) was approximately 1 month for the judge to approve it.
Granted mid August 2017.

3. JUS 8715 form shows as being transmitted to the DOJ and arresting agency twice - once approximately 2.5 months after step 1, then again 4+ months after step 1. Unclear why it was sent twice in my case.

Here's where it gets hazy for me, because being a guy who was never really into guns (due to being prohibited from owning one for the past 15 years) I don't understand how the various agencies interact and who needs to approve what.

What's next?