Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-06-2018, 7:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
Probably 30+ years ago, I traded a used pocket knife for a well-used Nylon 66---by well-used, I mean the little rifle had been fired about a million rounds with little to no cleaning---still, it shot just fine---right to point of aim with most bulk HV ammo, but the trigger pull was hard and the front edge of the trigger was sharp (I fixed that). Well, I got JB Wood's book on taking apart 22 rifles and proceeded to take it apart for cleaning---never again---a bunch of tiny springs and such---a real pain in the arse to put back together as well! The rifle was slim and lightweight, and despite my cleaning and reassembly, it continued to function just fine.
One day my long-time shooting buddy (RIP) came to me and wanted to buy this rifle---he explained that it was the only rifle his wife could hold-up and shoot because she was injured in a car crash---they were moving to SW Texas and he explained that this would be a huge favor to him---as these rifles were not collectable at that time, I sold him the Nylon 66 for a reasonable price and his widow still shoots it to this day.
I had two other 22 rifles---an older Ruger 10-22 Deluxe Sporter and a Belgium made 22 Auto from the early 60s, I didn't feel like I was lacking in 22 rifles, but, the Nylon 66 had been my "teaching" gun to start people off on shooting and I started to miss it. I looked around and suddenly Nylon 66s were "collector" items demanding really high prices---especially for a nice example. I stopped thinking about getting another one until one day at my club range, an older gentleman approached me and said he was selling off a few of his guns as he said he had far too many---and there it was---a near perfect Mohawk brown 66 in 99% percent condition---he was quite reasonable about the price, and I still have it---it shoots right to point of aim with most HV ammo and runs 100%---it's my wife's favorite gun, and one of my favorites as well---it ain't goin' nowhere...
Great Story!
Old 11-07-2018, 2:43 AM

Congrats, Aghauler...
On obtaining a replacement
Remington Nylon 66 in
Mohawk Brown!!!
Old 11-07-2018, 8:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 586L-Frame View Post
Congrats, Aghauler...
On obtaining a replacement
Remington Nylon 66 in
Mohawk Brown!!!
Wasn't my story, I've had my current Mohawk for 20+ years, have had another couple which I sold and a KMart version which I sold also. Kept this one as it has the vintage scope on it and it's a great shooter. Always on the lookout for more at "reasonable" prices though. That one Mohawk at Cabela's ABQ, NM fer $599 is just a little "beyond" ridiculous. I think they have it confused with the more rare versions, but then they have a rack of Mosins for $350 each!
Old 11-07-2018, 8:25 PM

My apology...
Jyo was the post.
I love my Black & Chrome Apache,
and my recent purchase of a Mohawk Brown Nylon 66.
I too own a Rossi Pump Action .22lr carbine but with the short barrel. All fun plinkers.
Old 11-08-2018, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 586L-Frame View Post
My apology...
Jyo was the post.
I love my Black & Chrome Apache,
and my recent purchase of a Mohawk Brown Nylon 66.
I too own a Rossi Pump Action .22lr carbine but with the short barrel. All fun plinkers.
LGS had and Apache Black (white diamond) sometime back they wanted $400+ for it but the receiver cover wasn't in very good condition. They tried to tell me it was the rarest version, I just said uh huh. Isn't the black diamond the more rare? I'll have to printout my reference material and carry it with me!

No apology needed!