Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-12-2016, 7:27 AM

Question "Best" county to apply - 2016?

Hi,

Since the sticky in this forum is broken and doesn't appear as though it's going to get fixed, nor does this appear to have been asked / answered, here goes.

Is there a list somewhere on CG that shows what the "best" counties are in CA in 2016 for CCW application? I did a bunch of searching here, as well as via Google and there is nothing that i could find that actually shows this.

TIA
D
Gun Owners of CA Member
Liberal Gun Club Member
NRA Lifetime Member
Second Amendment Foundation Lifetime Member
Old 08-12-2016, 7:35 AM
Calguns Addict

There are several counties that are "virtual shall issue", but unless you are moving to one of those it is really doesn't matter since you can only apply to the county you are a resident of.
Old 08-12-2016, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
There are several counties that are "virtual shall issue", but unless you are moving to one of those it is really doesn't matter since you can only apply to the county you are a resident of.
sorry, should have clarified that up front as well.

looking to purchase a home in said county, so that will address the residency issue.
Gun Owners of CA Member
Liberal Gun Club Member
NRA Lifetime Member
Old 08-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Just read through the county info threads.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:53 PM

My vote is for Tulare county. Here's why

Good cause = self defense

No limit on number of guns on permit. I have single shot ones and ar pistol on mine.

Training course is only 4 hours and you don't have to shoot.

If you buy a new gun you can just go down and add it to your permit. You don't have to qualify with it.

And you used to be able to carry on school grounds until brown signed a law last year i believe.

3 Month wait to get it.

I've had a fresno county one also. Good cause is self defense there also BUT

Limit you to 4 guns.

8hr training course and have to shoot the guns you want to put on your permit. Renewal is 4hr i think.

New guns you want to add you have to go qualify with it and get a certifacte and take it to the jail. And i don't think they will add it right then and there. They mail you a new card.

Close to a year wait to get permit.

Edit - madera, kern and kings county are easy to get also. I just don't know the details on how many guns and the training you need for theres.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:56 PM

San Bernardino county is Pro2a also heard Riverside county too
Old 08-12-2016, 12:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hasn't been updated for a year.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drick View Post

looking to purchase a home in said county, so that will address the residency issue.
What happens when the law changes, a sheriff who doesn't believe in CCW's gets elected, the existing sheriff does a Crazy Ivan, etc.?
Old 08-12-2016, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

then time to move to the state of jefferson.
Old 08-12-2016, 1:32 PM

San Benito County
PROS
Personal Protection Accepted
No upfront costs (see Cons below)
CONS
GMC important, 3 reference letters, contact with work. References are contacted
MMPI Psychology test + $150 interview with psychologist
Only 3 guns on permit
Old 08-12-2016, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon b0y View Post

No limit on number of guns on permit. I have single shot ones and ar pistol on mine.

If you buy a new gun you can just go down and add it to your permit. You don't have to qualify with it.

And you used to be able to carry on school grounds until brown signed a law last year i believe.

3 Month wait to get it.

Limit you to 4 guns.

8hr training course and have to shoot the guns you want to put on your permit. Renewal is 4hr i think.

New guns you want to add you have to go qualify with it and get a certifacte and take it to the jail. And i don't think they will add it right then and there. They mail you a new card.

Edit - madera, kern and kings county are easy to get also. I just don't know the details on how many guns and the training you need for theres.
I have to say Tulare is doing things the right way and also I feel also Fresno is good too. IMO any county that has more restriction than these two counties is not pro self defense no matter what they may claim or how many people say they are pro 2nd amendment.
Old 08-12-2016, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
What happens when the law changes, a sheriff who doesn't believe in CCW's gets elected, the existing sheriff does a Crazy Ivan, etc.?
For Fresno CO i've heard once you have it, you can keep on renewing it even if there is a new sherrif that doesn't issue CCWs. Basically grandfathered in.

But if you forget to renew, you have to start a new application and if there is a new sherrif that is anti ccw, you are hosed.
Old 08-12-2016, 4:19 PM

Quote:

3 Month wait to get it.

Limit you to 4 guns.

I'm pro 2A and all but I can't say I'm comfortable with people out there who don't have to prove their marksmanship when carrying.

I've seen how some people shoot at the ranges and I definitely feel that one should have more stringent marksmanship requirements in order to obtain a CCW. But I digress.
Old 08-12-2016, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artb View Post
Hasn't been updated for a year.

The information on this map for Colusa County is incorrect. It is only shall issue if you live outside of the city limits. I had my application sent back to me several times because I live in the city. CGF contacted the Sheriff to no avail.

When I moved to Mendocino County, there was no problem getting a CCW. Sheriff Allman even calls to congratulate people and thank them for getting the permit.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 08-12-2016, 4:37 PM

I'll take things that aren't San Francisco for $500, Alex.

Send me pics of your: Colt Detective Special, AMT Hardballer, pre-64 Winchester Model 70. I'm looking for them.
Old 08-12-2016, 6:47 PM

When considering the combination of probability of issuing combined with lifestyle options, I defy anyone to beat Placer County.
Old 08-12-2016, 7:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by riprap View Post
When considering the combination of probability of issuing combined with lifestyle options, I defy anyone to beat Placer County.
Sacramento...we've got a semi-pro basketball team.
Old 08-12-2016, 7:41 PM

None of this will matter if Kevin McCarty(State Assy. 7th Dist.) gets his bill passed:
AB 466 CCW “Good Cause” Definition
Would require that the applicant present facts to distinguish the applicant from the average person and must show that the applicant faces greater harm that the general public.
"We have too many examples of people who are dangerous actually getting a CCW,” he said. Putz.

Full article from Fox 40 here:
http://fox40.com/2016/06/25/new-bill...apons-permits/
Old 08-12-2016, 7:42 PM

Tulare, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Kern

"Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have war, let it begin here" Capt. John Parker, 19 April 1776, Lexington Green
Old 08-12-2016, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Sacramento...we've got a semi-pro basketball team.
Pffffff, just a bunch of flat landers!
Old 08-12-2016, 8:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For Fresno CO i've heard once you have it, you can keep on renewing it even if there is a new sherrif that doesn't issue CCWs. Basically grandfathered in.

But if you forget to renew, you have to start a new application and if there is a new sherrif that is anti ccw, you are hosed.
I don't even live in Fresno and I know that's not true. Per the PC, there's no such thing as "grandfathering." It's up to the sheriff that's in office, not what the policy of the last sheriff was or what the policy is of the Sheriff's dept.

Maybe they consider you GTG if you've previously had a CCW when it comes to renewals. However, that can change overnight if the new sheriff says so.
Old 08-13-2016, 6:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I don't even live in Fresno and I know that's not true. Per the PC, there's no such thing as "grandfathering." It's up to the sheriff that's in office, not what the policy of the last sheriff was or what the policy is of the Sheriff's dept.

Maybe they consider you GTG if you've previously had a CCW when it comes to renewals. However, that can change overnight if the new sheriff says so.
What Doheny said. +1

As to which county to buy a home. I'd base my decision on where I could buy a resonalble priced home with some chance of either selling for a profit or having it for retirement. Then which county I have a chance of getting a CCW.
I'm hopeing to get out of CA when I retire so I'd look at one of the shall issue counties in a mountain comunity. Placer County Looks pretty good in that respect.
Old 08-13-2016, 7:09 AM

Quote:

Solution: Move out of California
Old 08-13-2016, 7:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That's a 'what if' question that applies to every county in the state and in most other states ... "What if a new sheriff gets elected and has different policies?". You can only decide if the voting public is becoming more liberal and how likely it is for things to change. You could just a well say 'what if a hard core pro 2a sheriff got elected in San Francisco?' You just have to decide how likely any change is.
Old 08-13-2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:

Here is some details for Kern County

People teaching the CCW classes around here strongly encourage writing more than just "self defense" as a good cause statement, I do occasionally hear of people having their application rejected, but usually get it overturned if they appeal. One I heard was as simple as the person stated that they frequently travel long distances through remote areas to get from his small town down to
the LA area......that application was denied. His instructor recommended he change it to say he travels to Bakersfield, (actually in Kern County), I'm not sure if it was a new application that he submitted or if it was on appeal, but once he changed it from, "frequently travel to LA" to "frequently travel to Bakersfield" it was approved. I get the feeling that they do actually feel self defense is a good cause, but that they would like to see you articulate it on your application in such a way that they get them impression that you are in fact a responsible person.

Allowed up ten guns on your permit, I have pistols I got through SSE listed on mine and there was no problem at all....even the one where the caliber on the DROS paperwork didn't match the caliber I listed it as on the application. I also have other off roster pistols that I bought PPT, also with no problem at all.

Initial class is 8 hours, and there is a qualification, however I was not required to shoot all ten pistols listed on my permit, and I could have gotten away with doing the qualification with an entirely different pistol that was not even listed on my permit....however, I'm not sure if all ccw classes are the same way, there may be other instructors who want your qualification pistol to be listed on your permit, but I can't say for sure either way.

Renewal classes are 4 hours, and as long as you don't let your permit lapse, and get your renewal taken care of before your permit expires, you don't need to go through the entire application process again, just turn in your paperwork and you payment.

Adding/changing guns can be done without qualifying....as far as I know, you just make a trip down to the sheriffs office or your local substation. [Note....you used to have to bring in your pistols, (locked) and show them to the people at the office when you finalize your paperwork (usually when you do your livescan), or when you want to add a pistol to your permit. They recently changed that process at least somewhat....I did not have to bring ANY of my firearms with me at any time during the application process....I'm not sure if you would need to bring it with you if you wanted to add a pistol or not, as I haven't done that on mine yet, but at least for the initial permit, you just list Make, Model, Caliber, Serial Number on the application, and apparently they do all the checking of paperwork and such on their end. When adding a gun, it's not officially on your permit until they issue you a new permit, which doesn't happen on the spot, there is usually a processing time, and they notify you when your new permit is ready to pick up with your new gun(s) listed on it.

Processing times can vary, but currently the wait is about a month to get your approval letter, and can be up to around three months or so after live scan to actually get your permit.

I've also been told by some in the law enforcement community that the current sheriff has no intention of retiring any time soon and wants to be the longest sitting sheriff in Kern county. I'm not even sure the last time someone ran against him for the position, so there is at least a little bit of an indication that current ccw policies could be in place for a long time to come.
Old 08-13-2016, 9:37 PM

Quote:

I hope you are planning to actually live in that property you buy. You can't just buy a rental property and say that establishes your residence in that county. Your IA WILL find out. Best case, you will never get a CCW again in any county.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:

3 Month wait to get it.

Limit you to 4 guns.

3 months to get I will call that Great, a year or two years to get I won't even consider imho.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:32 PM

He said that a home, not a house
Old 08-13-2016, 11:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

It will take more then just owning a home there. You will need to prove it is your primary residence.

Tulare does in fact sound pretty good or maybe Kern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 08-14-2016, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Pay attention to the best counties and when the pro carry Sheriff runs for reelection support him even if not your sheriff.
Old 08-14-2016, 9:12 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhani View Post
Just read through the county info threads.
that is not very helpful...

the users here SHOULD know which counties are the "friendliest" already, without looking through every county in CA (50+)
Gun Owners of CA Member
Liberal Gun Club Member
NRA Lifetime Member
Old 08-14-2016, 9:16 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoRob View Post
What Doheny said. +1

As to which county to buy a home. I'd base my decision on where I could buy a resonalble priced home with some chance of either selling for a profit or having it for retirement. Then which county I have a chance of getting a CCW.
I'm hopeing to get out of CA when I retire so I'd look at one of the shall issue counties in a mountain comunity. Placer County Looks pretty good in that respect.
This is EXACTLY where I'm at if it helps out the rest of the folks that are confused.
Gun Owners of CA Member
Liberal Gun Club Member
NRA Lifetime Member
Old 08-14-2016, 9:17 PM

Quote:
this is a short term play, long term is to GTFO of the ROK
Gun Owners of CA Member
Liberal Gun Club Member
NRA Lifetime Member
Old 08-14-2016, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
Solution: Move out of California
not viable in the short term, long term = yes
Gun Owners of CA Member
Liberal Gun Club Member