Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-29-2020, 6:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Glass canners, where do YOU get your jars from?

Some sellers on eBay and web sites will not ship BPA-free lids to Cali, even after being informed of the BPA change.

Please advise where you get your jars from.
Old 05-29-2020, 6:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Is this some new development? We canned peaches last season and Wal Mat had half an aisle of canning stuff.

Sorry for the basic question. I feel like one of the “i inherited an AR, am i ok?” Posters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 05-29-2020, 10:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Is this some new development? We canned peaches last season and Wal Mat had half an aisle of canning stuff...
Well... I started to get supplies for starting with dry-vacuum canning.
I looked for jars on eBay, as that is the 2nd place I looked, as the ones from Amazon were damaged in shipment (they say, but might REALLY be something else based on my experience below?), but the eBay seller says that prop. 65 prevents them from selling to Californians, and refunded my scratch.

I assumed they didn't know about the BPA changes, but I even informed the eBay seller of the changes with no BPA in the lids anymore, and they said it was a Cali. law preventing import, and won't ship here.

Searching a few web sites, some have them but MANY of the best prices will not ship to Cali, it seems. (Rural King: "No shipping rates found for that address", AceHardware: "This product is unavailable for Ship to Home." for most jar-related things, "Mercato Green is currently unavailable in [MyZIP]", etc).

Walmart-actual (brick and mortar) is like Mos Eisley (Star Wars bar), especially after dark, and it is on my way home, but takes more than 30 minutes for even a single product... from the car, back to the car.
Other options?
Old 05-29-2020, 11:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We got sweet deal at grocery stores in the fall. $1 for a box of lids same for rings and jars if I remember co, were 75% off.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:56 PM

Best time is to at the end of the canning season. Most stores discount their inventory heavily and sometimes you can order in bulk at those prices.

We sometime order direct from the supplier but the order must be huge.
Old 05-30-2020, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Tractor Supply or Fred Meyer usually have pretty good stock. These days I prefer the 1/2 gallon dark glass wide mouth which can be a bit scarce. When I find them I usually buy them all.

Never really had a problem finding bands or lids.
Old 05-30-2020, 6:15 PM

Perhaps unexpected, but Michael's Craft stores sell canning supplies. Most standard grocery stores will also have some around the baking isle/kitchen products.
Old 05-31-2020, 1:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Tractor Supply or Fred Meyer usually have pretty good stock. These days I prefer the 1/2 gallon dark glass wide mouth which can be a bit scarce. When I find them I usually buy them all.

Never really had a problem finding bands or lids.
I actually found them on Walmart's site with free shipping for the 64oz / 1/2 Gallon size, which works out well, as I have about 25 pounds of Black Beans, and Rice (25lbs each) to dry vacuum can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
Perhaps unexpected, but Michael's Craft stores sell canning supplies. Most standard grocery stores will also have some around the baking isle/kitchen products.
Yup, in my Googler searches they had them on their site, but in-store only.
I am not sure where my nearest Michael's is, but chicks (and flamers, hipsters, and hipster's ghoul-fiends) ) do arts and crafts with jars to be "retro", so that is why Mason jars at Michaels...

I did find some on Ace Hardware's site, and they arrived in just a couple days, but they charge shipping, as it was a hell of a packing job for shipping 3rd party, lots of paper-wrap. One Jar got damaged, tiny crack near the Ball logo, but at what I paid, I am not complaining regarding 1/12th damaged... AND I got 25lbs of beans and rice (25LBS EACH) vacuum-sealed as of tomorrow morning.

I have a net tube of Quaker rolled oats coming from Walmart, and I am going to vacuum-seal those too.

Last edited by the86d; 05-31-2020 at 2:04 AM..
Old 05-31-2020, 9:02 AM

We bought a hell of a lot of jars at yard sales.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply and of course yard sales.