Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-11-2019, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
Yep, ya need to pattern it. Even if you go out to the desert/Imperial, that would be a great start.
Remember that what ever happens to your eye is going to affect where it shoots as you eye IS the rear sight on a shotgun.
Ya, I guess I already knew that. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if adding drop will screw up my poi too much. I'd like to just do it and see how it patterns after, I can always go back I guess.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-11-2019, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

So I just watched a video on the drop/cast adjustment of the A400 Xtreme, HOLY CRAP. for 5mm extra drop it's not worth it. I'll get a professional to help my perfect my fit and until then I'm gonna pattern it.

thanks everyone.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-11-2019, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Try mounting the gun to your face, not your shoulder. Look down the rib, what do you see?
Old 07-11-2019, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Try mounting the gun to your face, not your shoulder. Look down the rib, what do you see?
Thank you, usually that is how I mount, to my cheek, look down the rib and then bring the stock back to my shoulder pocket. I was taught that by a gentlemen at my first sporting clays match and it has stuck with me.

I'm finding my stock isn't meeting the shoulder pocket where I'm used to and that's my dilemma. Maybe I need to lean forward a little more and bring my shoulder and chest together more. Maybe I just have to get used to a different mount.

I can't see myself in the mirror well enough to measure my nose to thumb distance but my eye is right down the rib and it's straight. I'm keeping my finger forward too like I've seen competitors do too. Any other things I can focus on?

perhaps I just need lots more practice and my fit with this gun is going to be different. I need to put a few hundred more rounds down the barrel and make some decisions.

Thanks for any help you can provide

WTB
P10F**
P10S**

Last edited by etwinam; 07-11-2019 at 9:31 PM..
Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 PM
RIP Big Dog
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
Thank you, usually that is how I mount, to my cheek, look down the rib and then bring the stock back to my shoulder pocket. I was taught that by a gentlemen at my first sporting clays match and it has stuck with me.

I'm finding my stock isn't meeting the shoulder pocket where I'm used to and that's my dilemma. Maybe I need to lean forward a little more and bring my shoulder and chest together more. Maybe I just have to get used to a different mount.

I can't see myself in the mirror well enough to measure my nose to thumb distance but my eye is right down the rib and it's straight. I'm keeping my finger forward too like I've seen competitors do too. Any other things I can focus on?

perhaps I just need lots more practice and my fit with this gun is going to be different. I need to put a few hundred more rounds down the barrel and make some decisions.

Thanks for any help you can provide
IMO, never change a sound posture to mount a gun. If your feet and balance are good, just bring the gun to you.

Pro help is the ultimate answer. But if you shoot well with one gun, you can figure it out on your own with a new one.
Old 07-12-2019, 6:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
IMO, never change a sound posture to mount a gun. If your feet and balance are good, just bring the gun to you.

Pro help is the ultimate answer. But if you shoot well with one gun, you can figure it out on your own with a new one.
Ya that's a good point. If I can see down the rib naturally and its lining up straight, I'm good. I just need to get used to the new mount I guess. 500 rounds of clays and I think it will become come second nature. Its weird my 930, 500 and A300 all fit exactly the same but the A400 doesn't. I guess I just assumed it would and I'm wrong.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-12-2019, 8:01 AM

Add a spacer to lengthen the stock?
Old 07-12-2019, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Add a spacer to lengthen the stock?
Yeah I was thinking the length of pull might be affecting me as well. I may just throw the 1" spacer on the back since it's way easier than the adjustment shims

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Show up to any trap, skeet, or sporting clays range in America, and they'll be some crusty old bastard there that'll help you out
Old 07-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Show up to any trap, skeet, or sporting clays range in America, and they'll be some crusty old bastard there that'll help you out
Haha ya I assume so I'm gonna go back to p2k again today and throw a couple hundred rounds down range

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-13-2019, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Hit 23/25 in trap a few times today!! This gun is awesome! It is slowly becoming the gun I was hoping it would be!! only 300 rounds in and it's getting better each range day.

The 26" barrel point and swings so well and the weight & balance is perfect. I broke it down and cleaned it and found out I don't have to remove the trigger assembly to remove the bolt, wow that makes cleaning so much easier.

I can't wait to get fitted and really see it's potential. I need to find an instructor nearby... I'll keep asking around.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-13-2019, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Broke down after 4 beers and washing my truck, I took apart the KO3 and stock and put a 65DX drop in it... added the 1" spacer as well extending the LOP. It fits perfect now! that wasn't as hard as it looks on line, it wasn't easy but not that hard either.

Still need professional lessons and a patterning but {I think I'll see if i can sneak away after church tomorrow and hit some targets again.

anyone wanna meet up for some trap tomorrow ?

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-13-2019, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

What's your stance like? What's your mount like? You've got to get those perfected before you start thinking about gun fit.
Old 07-13-2019, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What's your stance like? What's your mount like? You've got to get those perfected before you start thinking about gun fit.
Very valid points Brad, Stance is weaver with one foot shoulder distance forward. right foot back.

Mount is now hitting my shoulder pocket as soon as I draw the gun to my face, it lines up straight and I can see perfectly down the rib, flat without moving my head/eye to meet the poi.

I'm looking forward to a professional lesson and fitting soon, let me know if you have any recommendations. I'll drive up north if needed.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**

Last edited by etwinam; 07-13-2019 at 8:43 PM..
Old 07-15-2019, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah I did that for my Benelli. I definitely bought once and cried once. As in I'm never buying a box of those 3.5" shells again. Geezus. 3" magnums do not compare in brutality.
Old 07-15-2019, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Yeah I did that for my Benelli. I definitely bought once and cried once. As in I'm never buying a box of those 3.5" shells again. Geezus. 3" magnums do not compare in brutality.
I have yet to throw some 3.5" Shells through it, that is on the agenda but I can't seem to find a walmart that sells ammo yet. I'll probably break down and hit Turner's soon. I want some 3.5" Magnum loads, buck, slug and goose just for fun. I've shot 3" MAgnums and they can beat you up pretty bad so I can only imagine 3.5" haha. I'll find out I guess.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-15-2019, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Laid the A400 on top of the A300 and they are identical in drop and cast now. IT's amazing handling each side by side.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-16-2019, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
I have yet to throw some 3.5" Shells through it... I want some 3.5" Magnum loads, buck, slug and goose just for fun. I've shot 3" MAgnums and they can beat you up pretty bad so I can only imagine 3.5" haha. I'll find out I guess.
You won't even notice them in the A400. I had an 870 that took 3.5" shells and shot them while duck/goose hunting. Never really bothered me while hunting, was having too much fun.
Old 07-16-2019, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
You won't even notice them in the A400. I had an 870 that took 3.5" shells and shot them while duck/goose hunting. Never really bothered me while hunting, was having too much fun.
Ya with the ko 3 I imagine it'll soak up a lot of that recoil.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 07-16-2019, 12:06 PM

If you are going to use 3.5 for fun shooting, it is gonna hurt, if while goose hunting, you will NOT notice anything.
Old 07-16-2019, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhuntor View Post
If you are going to use 3.5 for fun shooting, it is gonna hurt, if while goose hunting, you will NOT notice anything.
I don't disagree with you, I plan on shooting 3.5" this weekend for fun and to try it out. I also intend on shooting geese and ducks with 3.5" during my next hunt in October.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**