Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-03-2019, 9:50 AM

Question Mossberg Shockwave "firearm"

I'm posting this thread here, even though the Shockwave is not technically a "shotgun"

I'd assumed Commiefornia law prevented legal sale of the Mossberg Shockwave. But I've seen one for sale at my local Turner's Outdoorsman!

So... WTH? Are they legal or not?
Old 02-03-2019, 10:15 AM

I believe you can get one subject to getting a tax stamp, which I know nothing about, but someone else had done something similar here with a Remington short barrel: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1397958

As far as the mossberg “shockwave” is concerned, they recently released a version with an 18” barrel and 26” oal, so that may be what you saw at turners and it would be no different than buying any other basic shotgun.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

The original 14" Shockwave is not legal here. You must have seen the new 590 7-shot which is 18.5" barrel with a raptor grip. Short thread here on those http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1504034

Yes in theory you could get the new CA legal one, apply for a AOW tax stamp, wait a long time, ship the barrel and mag tube off to be chopped, engrave the receiver, and be legal. However due to a perversion of CA law, you would actually have to chop the barrel even shorter than the original Shockwave, somwhere around 10". You'd have a 2 or maaaaybe 3rd mag tube. And let's face it, there is a good chance even those will be made illegal here. If it looks scary or fun, CA Dems are coming for them. Literally, coming to take them.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-03-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Old 02-03-2019, 4:21 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsandrockets View Post
I'm posting this thread here, even though the Shockwave is not technically a "shotgun"

I'd assumed Commiefornia law prevented legal sale of the Mossberg Shockwave. But I've seen one for sale at my local Turner's Outdoorsman!

So... WTH? Are they legal or not?
Under Federal laws...

Both barrel length variants of the Mossberg Shockwave are classified as a Title 1 Other.

Under CA laws...

The 18.5" barrel length Mossberg Shockwave is a CA legal "long gun" and is DROS'd as a (category) long gun (subcategory) shotgun.

The 14.375" barrel length Mossberg Shockwave is classified as a SBS (firearm that shoots shotgun shells and has a less than 18" barrel length).

In order to legally acquire/possess a SBS in CA, you need a valid CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit for a SBS.

CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permits (DWP) require a good cause for issuance.
Per CA laws, there are only two valid good causes for issuance for a DWP for SBR/SBS: [PC 33300(a)]
1. To import/make/transfer to Gov/Mil/LE agencies. [PC 33300(b)(2)]
2. For use as a prop in the entertainment industry (movie/tv). [PC 33300(b)(1)]

In addition to paying an annual fee to maintain the DWP, the DWP holder is subject to annual compliance inspection audits.

All dangerous weapons in the DWP holder's inventory needs to be registered with CA DOJ.
All locations where the dangerous weapons will be stored needs to be registered with CA DOJ.
All vehicles that will be used to transport the dangerous weapons needs to be registered with CA DOJ.

Storing in a non-registered location and/or transporting in a non-registered vehicle is grounds for permit revocation and having the entire inventory confiscated.

Using the dangerous weapon beyond the scope of the good cause for issuance of the permit is grounds for permit revocation and having the entire inventory confiscated.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-03-2019 at 4:26 PM..
Old 07-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Good info. Thanks. Also on the thread linked above, someone mentions replacing PG with a buttstock. I thought this was not allowed for some reason. Am I incorrect on this?

I plead the 2nd.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:44 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3006mv View Post
Good info. Thanks. Also on the thread linked above, someone mentions replacing PG with a buttstock. I thought this was not allowed for some reason. Am I incorrect on this?
It is legal if the barrel is over 18”. Since it is not a handgun, it can go back and forth from a long gun to ‘other’. Some of the PG models even come from the factory with a buttstock in the box.

I have a Chiappa Triple Threat, and the back half of the buttstock can be removed just behind the wrist for a Terminator style rig. It’s legal, even in CA!

It would not be legal to put a buttstock on one of those 14” barrel Shockwaves unless you had a tax stamp.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-10-2019 at 11:50 PM..
Old 07-11-2019, 5:29 AM

Ok thanks for that clarification so you can’t put a buttstock on a 14” bbl.
nice Chiappa btw

I plead the 2nd.
Old 07-11-2019, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

this I did in, well 2009

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _10092009_1559_02.jpg (98.9 KB, 164 views)

Spyder

"You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"
Old 07-11-2019, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
It is legal if the barrel is over 18”. Since it is not a handgun, it can go back and forth from a long gun to ‘other’. Some of the PG models even come from the factory with a buttstock in the box.

I have a Chiappa Triple Threat, and the back half of the buttstock can be removed just behind the wrist for a Terminator style rig. It’s legal, even in CA!

It would not be legal to put a buttstock on one of those 14” barrel Shockwaves unless you had a tax stamp.
bought a single shot 12 gauge, with a 19 inch barrel, at a pawn shop in Oceanside, in 1979ish, had the stock cut just like that.... it is still working today. and it was a production model

Spyder

"You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"
Old 07-18-2019, 5:34 PM

A good CA-legal alternative is the Kel-Tec KS7, which, because it's a bullpup, manages to have an 18" barrel while still remaining the exact same overall length as the Shockwave, at just a hair over 26".
Old 07-19-2019, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
And let's face it, there is a good chance even those will be made illegal here. If it looks scary or fun, CA Dems are coming for them. Literally, coming to take them.
I absolutely, 100% totally agree with that statement.
It's just a matter of time, and we have already seen it to a small extent.
On a side-note, I can't fathom why some on this board are such registration compliance enthusiasts. It almost seems like they are gleeful for more hoops to jump through, but that is a whole different discussion.
Old 07-19-2019, 8:57 AM
Calguns Addict

They're indoctrinated since birth.