Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-07-2017, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Angry Another Army vs Marine observation...

Working with the Army National Guard/ Reserves...I see alot of habits conducted by the soldiers that would be receiving a huge butt chewing if not more by NCOs and higher.

Walking with hands in pockets, drinking while walking, talking on cellphones while walking, listening to music via headphones while in uniform while....you guess it...walking...

Some of the soldiers are higher ups. Some are junior ranking soldiers... Maybe because they are in the Guard/reserve mentality that they're not active duty and this is not their full commitment...

The NCO in me is ripping them apart...but the civilian in me is still disgusted.

Why? Why why why????
Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM

All of those are common habits with the active duty soldiers as well, it makes my skin crawl when I see it. Slightly above them wearing their cammies around town.
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?
Old 04-07-2017, 11:35 AM

It wasn't when i was active duty Army, but the reservist and nasty girls were always more lax
Old 04-07-2017, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

I remember at Fort Benning we couldn't stand around with our arms folded. We definitely couldn't put our hands in our pockets. Some officers didn't like it if we had something in our pockets. Our pockets had to be flat unless we were in the field.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 04-07-2017, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

It was so easy to look good around Army dogs when I was at Lost in the Woods. All you had to do was what was mandatory and strut and you looked and felt like a million bucks among a bunch of nasties. Army got cute chicks at least I'll give 'em that. Miss Americas compared to WM's.
Old 04-07-2017, 4:29 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen this in all branches of the service, including the Marines when I was working out at Edson range on Pendleton. It is a reflection of a lack of discipline being handed down by NCO's and SNCO's.
Old 04-07-2017, 5:05 PM

"A Marine with cold hands and warm empty pockets is a damn fool."
Chesty - Korea

Yeah, I went there😝. I did OPFOR at Fort Irwin, hands in pockets, dirty non pressed misfitting uniforms was the norm out there. I've seen some Marines do it as well though not nearly as much. My squad took out a whole Company of Bradley's one night because every man was asleep. They got reamed for that one pretty good.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewgun87 View Post
Working with the Army National Guard/ Reserves...I see alot of habits conducted by the soldiers that would be receiving a huge butt chewing if not more by NCOs and higher.

Walking with hands in pockets, drinking while walking, talking on cellphones while walking, listening to music via headphones while in uniform while....you guess it...walking...

Some of the soldiers are higher ups. Some are junior ranking soldiers... Maybe because they are in the Guard/reserve mentality that they're not active duty and this is not their full commitment...

The NCO in me is ripping them apart...but the civilian in me is still disgusted.

Why? Why why why????
The only time I really let the troopers have it is when I caught them pointing their M4's/M16's/M249's at another soldier accidentally or on purpose. It would always start with them replying 'don't worry sarge, it's unloaded' then they would get 'the look' (awww crap, he caught me AGAIN) on their face as they suddenly realized that they were in for the firearm safety lecture (you ALWAYS treat your firearm as if it was loaded PERIOD...). Other than that I never really was interested in yelling at the troops...making fun of them when they did something stupid? Hell yeah but not for little stuff like some of the other sgts did.
Old 04-08-2017, 5:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

When in uniform if i have to put my hands in my pockets and someone asks me why. I tell them my balls itch the look on their face is priceless.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-08-2017, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
... Walking with hands in pockets, drinking while walking, talking on cellphones while walking, listening to music via headphones while in uniform while....you guess it...walking...

... why????
Human nature. Not everyone is a warrior.
Old 04-08-2017, 8:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
listening to music is authorized in PT uniform at the gym. in case you didn't know. only in the gym that is it.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 05-20-2017, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've been out for 20 years and still don't put my hands in my pockets haha for some reason it drives me nuts when guys do it at work simply because they aren't working....the heats in the tools my dad always told me growing up. If they are in uniform they should be handed their ***** for cell phones, music, hands in their pockets and any other bs respect the uniform. Perhaps their CO's should get an earful.....**** rolls downhill to get things back on track you need to hammer the ones in charge.
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 05-20-2017, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
listening to music is authorized in PT uniform at the gym. in case you didn't know. only in the gym that is it.
Well these turd burgers were walking in broad day light with their ear buds in one ear and no shave and haircut either...even for a reservist....once a freaking month...get a damn haircut you hippie!!!
Old 05-20-2017, 9:19 PM

Maybe I'm just a big s-bag, but who cares if you can shoot move, communicate and deal death. All arbitrary measures of discipline and professionalism. Just a bunch of garrison nonsense. Shaving, okay, I'll give you that one. In the field and deployed I found it amazing how many though guys whined about being cold or tired or not sleeping enough and how many 300 pt guys avoided carrying anything heavy.
The Marines vs Army thing. I felt like the Marine culture was so strong it was like a parody of itself. I felt like we (the Army) were more practical.
Old 05-20-2017, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

We police are own in every f-ing way imaginable. That's the difference.
Old 05-20-2017, 9:40 PM

I was a Marine in 1986 at El Toro. We didn't have this problem. Good luck new guys. Thank you for your service.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Heinous.

I'm always ripping the hell out of my employees at work but they sure as hell got rid of some bad habits IE dragging their feet when they walk, putting their hands in their pockets, removing their sunglasses when talking to others, etc.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 05-21-2017, 4:42 PM

i am ex-army and i would never dump on a fellow military man or woman who chose a different branch.We each have out own reasons for the branch we served in. However personally I ran across more bad conduct and dishonorably marines than I did Army when i got out in the late 1960's. marines are shock troops and the Army grounds it out day after day. marines took the beaches but it was the Army that took Europe and the islands in WWII. Facts are facts and history is history. we all had our jobs to do and will in the future without tearing each other down. show me honorable service and I show you a hand i would gladly shake no matter what color uniform he wears. inflated Egos and false pride destroy more soldiers than anything.
Old 05-30-2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
It was so easy to look good around Army dogs when I was at Lost in the Woods. All you had to do was what was mandatory and strut and you looked and felt like a million bucks among a bunch of nasties. Army got cute chicks at least I'll give 'em that. Miss Americas compared to WM's.

What MOS got you to Fort Lost in the woods????
Old 05-30-2017, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big red View Post
i am ex-army and i would never dump on a fellow military man or woman who chose a different branch.We each have out own reasons for the branch we served in. However personally I ran across more bad conduct and dishonorably marines than I did Army when i got out in the late 1960's. marines are shock troops and the Army grounds it out day after day. marines took the beaches but it was the Army that took Europe and the islands in WWII. Facts are facts and history is history. we all had our jobs to do and will in the future without tearing each other down. show me honorable service and I show you a hand i would gladly shake no matter what color uniform he wears. inflated Egos and false pride destroy more soldiers than anything.
Usually when someone or something have to constantly talk about how good they are, they are compensating for something. Inferiority complex, maybe.

The truth is the majority of the ground fighting is/was/always will be done by the Army.

Just look at the Medal of Honors awarded from the 1990's to current.

Army-14
Navy-3
Marines-3

Go back to whatever major conflict we've had and the numbers will be similar. The MOH is not approved by your branch of service but by a panel consisting of all branches.

Why does the Army have so many more recipients, because they do most of the fighting. Some talk, some do.
Old 05-30-2017, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJohn View Post
What MOS got you to Fort Lost in the woods????
If you were at lost in the woods odds are it was Driver , Engineer , Chemical or MP ...
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 05-31-2017, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Caketown View Post
If you were at lost in the woods odds are it was Driver , Engineer , Chemical or MP ...
Agreed, I was there as well, I was looking for specifics. More Army personnel on one base than are in the ENTIRE Marine Corps.
Old 06-01-2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:

Why? Why why why????
Reality is it depends on the service. The Air Force and Coast Guard are a little more laid back than the other services. I chewed folks out all the time for it while I was OOD of bases I was stationed at. I remember this one E9 tell me it was ok and it was an important call. Her husband had just been hit by a moving car. I let it slide only that one time in 20 years. I also served the Commandant for a week and he talked all the time on his cell while in his uniform and he told me, and this is coming from the senior 4 star, that there can be exceptions and never to do it in the publics eye. Who was I to argue? I took away from that to do as I say, not as I do. I shook my head knowing we preach this but he was the absolute head of our agency and I was a lot younger in the 1990s. If I was at a higher rank I still probably would of said "yes sir" and let him talk on his cell. I remember one specific call where he was chewing out an 06 at another Admirals retirement. He said things I couldn't believe. He made an 06, which is a full bird, seem like an E1. He ran aground apparently and cracked the hull of his ship. Man was the Commandant so pissed.

Hands in your pocket is a big no no and I chewed sailors out all the time for that one. We have a lot of officers drinking bottled water in uniform after working out and they seem to think it's ok and that's 01-06. I enforced this one as well but was more laxed with E4 and up after workouts/showers only and not in the public eye.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Federal Drug Enforcement Officer 2012-2016

“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Paul LePage, Maine State Governor

Last edited by Endless; 06-01-2017 at 4:46 AM..
Old 06-21-2017, 6:05 PM

While in school AIT at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, I got caught with my hands in my pockets.
I had to carry two bricks around all day, so my hands would not fit in my pockets.
Never did it again.
Old 06-22-2017, 9:32 AM

Two years as an officer, and I finally lit up privates for failure to salute. It happened three times last drill weekend.

I get it, I was enlisted, 40ish with a Master's Degree, and I had to humble up and salute complete morons that (literally) didn't know how to piss in a cup for the piss test, or new 2LT's show up to their first drill with no rank on.

I get it, when I could, I dodged them too (especially the one's I don't like or look 20 years younger than me). It's a game, and I think I'm really cool about it. If you play by those rules I'm not going to be a jerk about it.

However, when three 1 LT's in your company are walking together, and you are a PFC walking the opposite direction and you aren't more than 6 feet from one and look him square in the eye then you as the PFC are putting a bulls eye on your forehead.

I say "I lit him up", but all I really did was say:

PRIVATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stopped him in his tracks, and waited for him to figure it out (which he did).

The second time a SPC did it, but he didn't figure it out when I stopped him, and I had to spell it out. He just looked at me like a deer in head lights.

It goes both ways. In officer quartermaster school as I was walking to class I mentioned to a fellow 2LT to maybe hold his coffee in his left hand. He proceeded to ignore me, and passed a USMC Captain.

....................He got lit the F up................. I was quietly laughing inside.

My first failure to salute was basic training graduation day after the ceremony. I was in dress blues, and with my civilian guest, and I missed a passing Major and WO1 walking together.

The WO lit me up, and still in basic mentality I addressed the WO as Drill SGT. It got worse from there.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Two years as an officer, and I finally lit up privates for failure to salute. It happened three times last drill weekend.

I get it, I was enlisted, 40ish with a Master's Degree, and I had to humble up and salute complete morons that (literally) didn't know how to piss in a cup for the piss test, or new 2LT's show up to their first drill with no rank on.

I get it, when I could, I dodged them too (especially the one's I don't like or look 20 years younger than me). It's a game, and I think I'm really cool about it. If you play by those rules I'm not going to be a jerk about it.

However, when three 1 LT's in your company are walking together, and you are a PFC walking the opposite direction and you aren't more than 6 feet from one and look him square in the eye then you as the PFC are putting a bulls eye on your forehead.

PRIVATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second time a SPC did it, but he didn't figure it out when I stopped him, and I had to spell it out. He just looked at me like a deer in head lights.

It goes both ways. In officer quartermaster school as I was walking to class I mentioned to a fellow 2LT to maybe hold his coffee in his left hand. He proceeded to ignore me, and passed a USMC Captain.

....................He got lit the F up................. I was quietly laughing inside.

My first failure to salute was basic training graduation day after the ceremony. I was in dress blues, and with my civilian guest, and I missed a passing Major and WO1 walking together.

The WO lit me up, and still in basic mentality I addressed the WO as Drill SGT. It got worse from there.
Haha!!!
Old 06-22-2017, 6:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post

PRIVATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lit up several Soldiers while at Ft. Bliss last year for not saluting. I worked with a lot of officers many times we all went to lunch together.

I stopped to privates who didn't salute the 1LT I was with. It's not good having an E7 chewing you out for not saluting an officer.

Mind you this is an active duty post and you would think they would know better.

contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I lit up several Soldiers while at Ft. Bliss last year for not saluting. I worked with a lot of officers many times we all went to lunch together.

I stopped to privates who didn't salute the 1LT I was with. It's not good having an E7 chewing you out for not saluting an officer.

Mind you this is an active duty post and you would think they would know better.
I am still getting used to folks saluting me, being direct commissioned as a captain is a bit humbling. I did have a chat with a couple of soldiers that left their sinks a mess at the hygiene station during our recent AT. I think talking to them may have freaked them out more than me going off on them. My fellow officer said he would have threatened to kick them in the balls. I'm not sure if he was serious or not.

“Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.” – Sen. Barbara Boxer

NRA Patron Member
Old 07-02-2017, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
I am still getting used to folks saluting me, being direct commissioned as a captain is a bit humbling. I did have a chat with a couple of soldiers that left their sinks a mess at the hygiene station during our recent AT. I think talking to them may have freaked them out more than me going off on them. My fellow officer said he would have threatened to kick them in the balls. I'm not sure if he was serious or not.
No, I get it, there's time where its man to man, lets be chill and not worry about the rank or uniform.

But damn these freaking nasty sorry ***** excuses for soldiers are being huge walking piles of crap. Audie Murphy would be turning over in his grave if he saw this bull being committed. I miss being in with active duty guys....
Old 07-02-2017, 7:10 PM
Veteran Member

Air Force here

I once- ONCE made the mistake of saluting a Lt. Colonel with my left hand in my pocket. It was a cold day and I just forgot it was there. He let me have it, as he should have. Never made that mistake again.

I served a year on the Honor Guard, and my pride in uniform & service was never in question. Spent many an hour with the iron & paste wax.

Last edited by BigStiCK; 07-02-2017 at 7:14 PM..
Old 07-02-2017, 8:00 PM

I still find myself carrying items mainly with my left hand. I also hated the subdued insignia, so hard to differentiate at a safe distance
Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357magnum View Post
While in school AIT at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, I got caught with my hands in my pockets.
I had to carry two bricks around all day, so my hands would not fit in my pockets.
Never did it again.
The first words I heard out of the Drill Sergeant's mouth in AIT were "I hate privates.." And here I thought I was in the clear after graduating BCT.... We got smoked almost daily there too.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:34 PM

Im obviously in the minority here and from a different era then some of you but I never understood the big deal about walking while drinking or hands in pockets. As long as you stand tall and make proper salutes at the proper times i never had a problem with it. Wrinkled/sloppy uniforms are a different story. Although the units I was a part of did not always wear your standard uniforms or layouts and we called each other by first name basis.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:48 PM

My only active duty exposure to the Army was with a couple of infantry companies out of Ft Ord in the early 80's. We did Amphi Ops off Monterey, old school. Cargo nets and LVCP's.

They had no gear. None. We expected to do helo ops, but they canceled. I guess no one wanted to try to land a Huey on a ship.

Damnedest thing, they formed a human chain on the cargo nets and started passing weapons down. Got pissed because the boat crews wouldn't take their M16's/M60's as they got to the bottom. Working with Marines, one automatically becomes suspect when someone shoves a rifle in your face and says "Hold This". *F-That, it's a trap. People don't just give up a rifle without a fight* I couldn't believe their NCO's/SNOC's were cool with that. Most of their JO's were beyond clueless
Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscan925 View Post
Although the units I was a part of did not always wear your standard uniforms or layouts and we called each other by first name basis.
Soooo...the airforce then?
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?
Old 07-04-2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourson View Post
Yes, units assigned were joint though, which included Marines
Old 07-04-2017, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Usually when someone or something have to constantly talk about how good they are, they are compensating for something. Inferiority complex, maybe.

The truth is the majority of the ground fighting is/was/always will be done by the Army.

Just look at the Medal of Honors awarded from the 1990's to current.

Army-14
Navy-3
Marines-3

Go back to whatever major conflict we've had and the numbers will be similar. The MOH is not approved by your branch of service but by a panel consisting of all branches.

Why does the Army have so many more recipients, because they do most of the fighting. Some talk, some do.
I'm sure personnel size has nothing to do with it..
army: 476k
Navy: 327k
Marines: 182k

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 07-04-2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
No, I get it, there's time where its man to man, lets be chill and not worry about the rank or uniform.

But damn these freaking nasty sorry ***** excuses for soldiers are being huge walking piles of crap. Audie Murphy would be turning over in his grave if he saw this bull being committed. I miss being in with active duty guys....

While I am relatively green I still try to maintain my military bearing. I agree with you that standards should be upheld regardless of branch, active, or, reserve.

During our recent AT we had the supply specialist staying with us in our tent. People would come in periodically during the day to check in or retrieve their weapons. People would nonchalantly hand over an m16, muzzle sweeping half of the tent. Granted, these had blank adapters on the ends and no magazines. I had to ask/remind the supply specialist to have people clear their rifle and lock the bolt back before handing it over. Being new I had to ask if that was the propper protocol when turning in a weapon (it's what I do if handing a weapon to anyone). To which he replied affirmative. I asked why he was not requiring them to do so. He had no answer.
He also locked to bolt back when handing the rifle back to the soldiers when they came to pick them up. There were several that dropped the bolt while the muzzle was pointed at the head of the soldier next to them. If no one holds them to standards in practice how will they be expected to perform when it counts?

“Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.” – Sen. Barbara Boxer

NRA Patron Member
Old 07-05-2017, 1:48 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourson View Post
I see what you did there.....
Old 07-05-2017, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

Funny as can be, but some bad words no nudity or anything, but NSFW depending on where you work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.