Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-08-2015, 9:43 PM

Default New Nosler E-Tip for 30-30?

150gr. RN ballistic tip
SD: 0.226
BC: 0.344

Was on they're website earlier and came across these while perusing the lead free lineup. Currently looking for a solution to comply with the ban. Honestly it's not looking good. Before I found the above I was planning on an unorthodox alternative.

ANYWAYS, I'm having trouble finding out more info about it and would out like reach out to the community. any insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edit:
My intended application is .30WCF.(for those that are a lil dense)

Currently running:
2013 Remlin w/ a 3x9x40
1970 Winnie w/ Williams 5D
Curious to see what barrel can produce the best results.

Last edited by SBsasquatch; 11-08-2015 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Add
Old 11-08-2015, 9:44 PM

Btw, http://www.nosler.com/e-tip-lead-free-bullet/
Old 11-09-2015, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

If you're not stuck on Nosler, Barnes has a 150gr TSX bullet for the 30-30:

Diameter .308
Weight 150
Length 1.082
S.D 0.226
B.C 0.184
Box QTY 50
Catalog # 30334

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 11-09-2015 at 8:34 AM..
Old 11-09-2015, 8:55 AM

TSX, TTSX, and GMX all fit the bill for lead free. I believe Lapua is making some loaded ammo as well, but haven't seen components from them yet

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy
Old 11-09-2015, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbj View Post
TSX, TTSX, and GMX all fit the bill for lead free. I believe Lapua is making some loaded ammo as well, but haven't seen components from them yet

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy
Jimmy,

While true in general, TTSX and GMX do NOT provide a solution specific to the 30-30....... unless one wants to single load a lever action (or only have one in the chamber and one in the tube).

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 AM

Lucky for me I hunt mostly outside the LF zone. D14. But I figure I'll try prepare myself for when it becomes state wide.

With that being said, my short list for applicable pills would have been:

140gr monoflex
150gr tsx hp
130tsx Spitzer(1+1)

Bigbossman - notice the bc in the OP. that's from the site. Is it possible that's a typo? .344 on a RN? The interlock of the same weigh is .186 if I remember correctly.

I'm a big fan of Hornady-if you can't tell.

I'm currently running FTX. I appreciate the extra horse power it gives me a lil further down range.

I'm trying to pick a pill that I can get to group well and have highest bc possible. Just saying, and that's why I brought up the bullet in the op. Numbers look good on paper.lol.

Thanks again
Old 11-09-2015, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBsasquatch View Post
Bigbossman - notice the bc in the OP. that's from the site. Is it possible that's a typo? .344 on a RN? The interlock of the same weigh is .186 if I remember correctly.
Boy o' boy, I don't know. Call and ask? The TSX data I posted was copied off of the Barnes website, and at .184 is close to the .186 of the Interlock that you mentioned. .344 seems out of wack.......

I use and LOVE the 160 grain FTX bullets in my 30-30, but they are not lead-free.

I know you said you like Hornady, but you might give the TSX a try. I've used the Barnes TTSX in 30-06, and it is an accurate stone-cold killer. Barnes make good bullets.

Last edited by bigbossman; 11-09-2015 at 4:00 PM..
Old 11-09-2015, 3:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

must be round nose or flat point for 30-30 remember.
Old 11-09-2015, 4:44 PM

I'm sure u guys have looked up the Mono-flex bullet from hornady right? It's a monolithic FTX bullet.....???!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 4:46 PM

http://m.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-140-gr-monoflex/
Old 11-09-2015, 5:13 PM

^^^ refer to post #5

Edit: #6

Last edited by SBsasquatch; 11-09-2015 at 6:31 PM.. Reason: I can't count
Old 11-09-2015, 5:36 PM

Nope. The mono flex IS specifically designed for 30-30. It IS currently loaded in Hornady lead free 30-30 ammo. It is a pointed bullet that is meant for the tubular mags of lever guns. Just like the FTX.

I'm not sure but I thought all zones will be lead free next anyways, but I could be wrong on that.
Old 11-09-2015, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtrucks View Post
I'm not sure but I thought all zones will be lead free next anyways, but I could be wrong on that.
By 2019 the entire state will be lead free.
Old 11-09-2015, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
By 2019 the entire state will be lead free.
Not just bullets...

State declares lead fishing weights toxic

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 11-09-2015, 6:57 PM

My biggest concern is maximum effective range.

I'll be taking an even harder look at Barnes. Thanks in part to BBM. Also, going to call nosler soon. Having a hard time find anything out on them via the net... Thanks all.

Last edited by SBsasquatch; 11-09-2015 at 6:59 PM.. Reason: ....
Old 11-10-2015, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
must be round nose or flat point for 30-30 remember.
No, it does not. See Fordtrucks post below. Hornady removed that restriction with their new bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtrucks View Post
I'm sure u guys have looked up the Mono-flex bullet from hornady right? It's a monolithic FTX bullet.....???!!!
Yeah, he had this bullet on his short list in post#6. I like the FTX quite a bit, and use it to great effect in cowboy silhouette matches. A copper version might be nice to work up a load for.

Last edited by bigbossman; 11-10-2015 at 6:48 PM..
Old 11-11-2015, 3:43 PM

So for those that might be interested:

I talked to a gentleman from Nosler, and he stated 1800fps was the minimum that I could expect for consistent expansion.

Now, taking into affect that the bullet will be longer and I'll have to make room to allow for function. I'll assume 2,250 would be doable. That's means I'm still good out to 200 respectively. Acceptable I guess.
Old 11-11-2015, 4:54 PM

2,250 sounds like a good number.
Have u tried other powders? is that with LVR EVo powder?
CFE 223 has impressed me a lot with the velocities I have been getting from it. Might be worth a try, it's in the same burn range as LVR EVo.
In other calibers, ie 7mm-08 and 30-06, 270 and such, I have able to achieve 200-300 fps over posted numbers from Hogdon.
Old 11-15-2015, 4:59 PM

Perhaps I missed something here. The Barnes TSX FN 150gr works very good from a 20" barrel. TSX=all copper. Or any barrel length for that matter.
I believe bigbossman covered this in post #3.

Last edited by pennstater; 11-16-2015 at 4:30 AM..
Old 07-16-2018, 1:12 PM

Default any updates

I am wondering if anyone else has been playing with these bullets. I have had a few days of testing, and I am close to having a hunting round finalized. My best speeds are 2650fps with a 1" group at 75 yards out of a Marlin 336 stainless. I am using LVR powder and have walked up slowly from 2100fps. I am super excited about this bullet riding on top of the LVR powder. Still no pressure signs at all, although I think I am at the top end, as the velocity actually dropped on my highest load, and it is certainly compressed given the length of the bullet. I tested the 2100fps load for expansion into some old phone books, and it was impressive with the perfect petal peeling that copper provides and near full weight retention.

Just curious if anyone else has developed anything for the Nosler E-tip 30-30.
Old 07-16-2018, 2:46 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I've been toying with buying some and working up a load, but I don't really NEED to. I probably oughta just do it, what with all me free time and money... :/
Old 10-01-2018, 1:58 PM

Hi guys. I have been asking these same questions about the E-Tips. I have tried them for the same reasons in 3 calibers now: .308 Win, 6.5 Grendel, and now 30-30. I got into this when I first read the regs here about the condor, etc. and eventually going statewide. Knowing form personal experience here in the norcal sierra, there are more than condors that eat carrion. When I hunt doves and quail, I discard the carcasses in a specific location about 100 yards from the cabin and they are gone the next day. I put a camera out there and it is a competition between the coyotes and the fox that lives close by. No coons or skunks as of yet, and both yotes and foxes eat rodents, so I don't shoot them. Then I watched the youtube vids about copper bullets vs lead and the associated X-Rays of meat filled with lead particles and THAT cemented in stone my disdain for lead in anything I hunt. Not to mention that I hunt on MY land which I also farm organically because cancer is REAL. Forget the political rants. So spreading lead around my land is no longer an option and I sincerely advise you all to re-think along the same lines for your own personal health as well as our environment.

That said, I began the process of research, which for us gun nuts is the fun part, right? So I procured some bullet sample packs for .308. Loved the performance of the TTSX things, and loaded up some of those, as well as others. VERY impressive accuracy, as in sub MOA out of my SCAR17 and my Alexander 24" Overwatch. Then I started reading about velocities and then we start getting into effective range. Many of these bullets can not retain the velocity required to open at long distances with the 6.5 and the 308, and so I began looking into which bullets open effectively at reduced ranges. There are very few. These are covered here in this forum by Ric-0-shay I believe. One custom bullet maker turns each one on a lathe at $1 each and I haven't gone there yet but will eventually... and so we arrive at Nosler's E-tip which is the only commercially available bullet (a year ago) that opens at 1800 fps. I got them to shoot very well in the SCAR. I am having issues with the Grendel. Can't get a group below 5 inches at 100 yards. I just read somewhere that you should clean the bore of all copper fouling when using copper bullets. Haven't tried that yet because I have been deliberately allowing the bores to "foul" giving them a nice gilding as per recommendations, on a long distance precision shooting forum for snipers, which I must admit, has honed down my groups to sub MOA with match grade bullets.

Fast forward to 30-30: I decided this year that I would try my good ol' 1910 family heirloom Winchester model 94 which I took my first whit tail with... at 30 yards. (It's not hunting around here, it's harvesting). so for all practical purposes, this whole topic is mute... as the gun was advertised when it was gifted to me as a brush gun with an effective range of 100 yards. Still, with hand loading techniques, I have won second and third places at DCM competitions against AR15s and M1 Garands in the 90s, so with modern technology, we can push our effective range out to 250 yards with this bullet and careful reloading processes. Still, there is NOTHING in terms of reloading data for these in 30-30 that I have found.

Here is my first attempt:
Rifle: 1910 Winchester Model 94 re-barreled sometime in the 60s, 20", 1/12 twist (I presume).
Factory Remington ammo disassembled and therefore un-fired cases and factory primers from the 60s, (family hand-me-downs that came with the rifle).
CFE223 powder at the minimum starting load of 33.9 grns. hand measured with an RCBS Chargemaster.
Nosler E-Tip 30-30.
Results: my first shot slightly bulged the primer and was held around the corner for protection, so NOT chrono'd.
Second shot did not moon the primer and reached 2430 fps! Hit the paper at 100 yards standing off hand, which is not a good position for any kind of accuracy or consistency judgement, I was just looking for safety in pressure at this point.
At 34.5 grns I received pressure signs and went back to the minimum charge!!! So my conclusion at this point is that you start LOW because as reported elsewhere, copper bullets have the ability to raise pressures. I got maximum expected velocity at the minimum load. I can't give accuracy reports yet though I will say that after several rounds hitting the paper at 100 yards standing off hand, I tried pole resting (leaning my hand and the rifle against a pole and steadying the rifle to the best of my ability) and then firing at my man size steel gong silhouette target at 360 yards and hit it 3 out of 3 with that load and all within a 10 inch group, and in the center of the chest area of the target! That was surprising considering this is open sights and aiming with an anticipated elevation raise, no scientific calculation for a firing solution, just Kentucky windage!

That's all I got or now, other than telling you that the E-Tip makes an unbelievable wound cavity. I wasted both hams on a hog I got 2 years ago with the 6.5, and blew out the front quarter of a white tail last year with the 308, both at 150 yards with poorly place rounds due to poor light conditions. You better aim correct with these because they are devastating to flesh and bone! Both animals "ran" or limped about 30 yards and dropped. The hog had to be followed up with a head shot when it attempted to charge. No more shooting at moving targets after that one. I will post more results when I get the time to really work them up, but for now, I just needed a few rounds for deer season. Load and shoot safe, ya'll.