Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 06-29-2018, 4:56 PM

My non-resident AZ CCW is no longer non-resident.
Made the move 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 8:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
For training, they do not accept online training, but they will accept a copy of any currently valid CCW.
Virginia accepts online training.
Take online class, get VA permit, send copy of VA permit to AZ, receive AZ permit.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Well, finally got up off of my *** and requested an application from AZ. Not sure why I waitied so long...

My IA lists 3 pistols on my CA permit. I assume AZ's is different?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jason25; 07-14-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Old 07-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason25 View Post
Well, finally got up off of my *** and requested an application from AZ. Not sure why I waitied so long...

My IA lists 3 pistols on my CA permit. I assume AZ's is different?
No limit, no qualification, no listing.
You can carry your AR pistol in AZ.
New Mexico is one of the few free states that actually lists permitted guns (AND they do not allow you to carry more than one at a time).
Nevada used to require qualification on semi-auto and revolver separately, but that was changed a couple of years ago and you can carry anything and qualify with anything.

Most free states, there is no specific qualification, no listing, and no restriction on how many you can carry at one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:03 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
No limit, no qualification, no listing.
You can carry your AR pistol in AZ.
New Mexico is one of the few free states that actually lists permitted guns (AND they do not allow you to carry more than one at a time).
Nevada used to require qualification on semi-auto and revolver separately, but that was changed a couple of years ago and you can carry anything and qualify with anything.

Most free states, there is no specific qualification, no listing, and no restriction on how many you can carry at one time.
Thanks bud, gee can't see why anyone wouldn't get the AZ permit.

So... with no pistol listing on the permit, would that include reciprocity in the other states that I would carry in with my AZ permit? Not sure if that makes sense, obviously I wouldn't be carrying an AR lol.

For example, I travel into NV with a pistol not listed on my CA permit (locked away in the trunk/legal trasport). Once crossed state line, switch CCW to that pistol utilizing the AZ permit?

Just trying to get a clear picture here. I'm sure these questions have been asked a thousand times.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
For example, I travel into NV with a pistol not listed on my CA permit (locked away in the trunk/legal trasport). Once crossed state line, switch CCW to that pistol utilizing the AZ permit?
Yep... carry what you like, take a deep breath, and smell the Freedom.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Yep... carry what you like, take a deep breath, and smell the Freedom.
Wow, that's what that smells like! Thanks for the info.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:09 PM

I called AZ DPS for a change of address, CA to AZ.
They said my new DL/ID is my chance of address.
Very layed-back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Anyone have an idea of the processing pace for AZ right now? I'm at 49 days and they still haven't cashed my money order. At little disappointing since it seems to be a role reversal for an otherwise free state (my CA license only took 17 days).
Old 07-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adame24 View Post
Anyone have an idea of the processing pace for AZ right now? I'm at 49 days and they still haven't cashed my money order. At little disappointing since it seems to be a role reversal for an otherwise free state (my CA license only took 17 days).
That is unusual. They normally are processing in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:

Email them. They cash the money order fairly quickly after receipt from what I have seen.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Can I ask why you'd change out the equipment you are used to carrying daily (?) in California for something else just because you are in Nevada or Arizona?

Personally I think it is not the smartest way to go about things. Muscle memory and all.

Are the conditions changing in a way that would require a change in gun? For example I have a 4" GP100 on my permit to make carrying while camping, hiking, fishing, etc easier in predator country. I don't EDC it, but I train with it.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
Can I ask why you'd change out the equipment you are used to carrying daily (?) in California for something else just because you are in Nevada or Arizona?

Personally I think it is not the smartest way to go about things. Muscle memory and all.

Are the conditions changing in a way that would require a change in gun? For example I have a 4" GP100 on my permit to make carrying while camping, hiking, fishing, etc easier in predator country. I don't EDC it, but I train with it.
It was just a general question. I wouldn't want to carry something that I wasn't proficient with anyway.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The turnaround time was about 30 days for me. Granted, that was about two years ago. You should give them a call and see what’s the holdup.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 07-15-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

So if I travel to NM with my AZ and FL permit, am I able to carry anything I want? How does that work with reciprocity?
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 07-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
So if I travel to NM with my AZ and FL permit, am I able to carry anything I want? How does that work with reciprocity?
NM does not recognize the CA permit, so the "listed" aspect of NM law would not apply.
I would, however, avoid carrying more than one at a time in accordance with NM law, even though the conditions of the AZ/FL permit do not prohibit it.

Also remember that in NM, it is not legal to carry in locations that sell anything above wine or low-point beer... can't carry at Chili's/Outback/Applebees.

Quote:
Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
First thing that comes to mind is magazine capacity. We're limited to 10 in CA, so an EDC may be a compact or sub-compact with a 9-10rd capacity.
In a free state, we can switch out to a G19 or something else that has a more reasonable capacity. Enough people on this forum seem to have enough disposable income that they wouldn't be concerned over dropping $40 on a couple of mags that they would "ditch" on their way back into CA.
Second thing is less concern over printing or "being made" in a free state vs California, particularly open-carry states.

But yes, you want to be proficient with anything you are carrying.

Quote: