Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > San Jose Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 11:29 PM

Yes, those cattle belong to a man named AJ(if we are thinking of the same area) I met him out there and he said the is an easement for the lease of blm property, he pays $3/head per cattle a month. Random info, I know. But just clarifying. But ultimately it is BLM land and you have complete access to it all. His only request was don't shoot at the cattle and if there are cattle near your metals targets to just kind of move them away if possible to prevent bullet fragments hitting the cattle.

Aside from that he was cool, I want to say he said he was associated with Asher ranch and there are roughly 10k cattle out in those hills. Don't route me on that.
Old 05-07-2018, 5:14 AM

Thanks for the info about the cattle.

I hiked in last weekend, heading south past the cattle fencing, and within half a mile or so found some great spots to set up targets from about 200 to 600 yards. Even though the hills go on seemingly forever, it's hard to find shooting positions and target backdrops that don't cross over a path or road.
I saw a few spots to set up targets out to maybe 1300 yards.

There were small groups of cattle roaming everywhere, and a few times they wandered across my targets or shooting lines. Since the terrain is so hilly, you often can't see them coming until they appear in front of your shooting line. I just waited a few minutes until they wandered off.

At some point, a rancher drove by in a pickup truck, about a quarter mile away. I waited until he was well out of sight before I resumed shooting.

Sadly, there are spots even well into the hills away from Panoche Rd. that are littered with shooting trash, casings, shot shells, and bottles.

Also a little unsettling, even though the closest other groups of shooters were over half a mile away at various spots along Panoche Rd., I heard 3 bullets or ricochets fly past nearby during my day. Maybe people aren't using backdrops, or are assuming that the hills in the distance are empty, and therefore are an adequate backdrop.
Old 06-05-2018, 7:27 AM

Came back from Tumey Hill yesterday. Even though you can't go off trail found a decent spot to shoot before it got too hot. One thing I noticed which I'm sure other shooters are aware of this the garage left behind. 1 of the worst spot right off the road is between gate 1 and 2 shooting downhill to the right before the curb; tires with rims, target stands, beer cans, just garbage etc. One thing everything has in common is the amount of shotgun shell hulls left behind. I've seen other BLM have organized clean up but has anyone done one for Tumey? I tossed like 4 garbage bags full by the McDonald's by the exit. Just curious as even though it's not as bad as some other places I seen; I'd hate to see it shut down due to trash as I've seen other have

Last edited by DVSride; 06-05-2018 at 7:30 AM..
Old 06-10-2018, 9:01 AM

Default Panoche & Tumey Hills BLM questions???

Sorry. Edited it.
Old 06-12-2018, 4:49 AM

Its quite pathetic people shoot and dont pick up after themselves, just goes to show peoples general lack of respect. wish i could find out who they are and just dump a bunch of trash at their house, i kind of wish they would shut it down to preserve land. But its also my go to, maybe we can have blm post warnings about imposing a $10k fine for leaving behind trash