Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-20-2014, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

Here are some more clips on this movie, for anyone who still thinks they might want to see it.

"I got nothing."

"It's private."

"It's dope."

These are all from the Kanye West forum, in support of the hip-hop recording artist who plays the token black guy.
Old 02-20-2014, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
A movie about a bunch of hippies sitting around whining and talking about their feelings. I'd rather give myself an unanesthetized vasectomy with a rusty spoon.
Pass the spoon when you're done!

- Rush Limbaugh
Old 02-21-2014, 9:54 AM

At the most I go to maybe 1 or 2 movies a year at the theaters, but I'd like to take my wife to this one. If it shows things really hitting the fan, maybe it'll wake up people like my wife who wonders why I keep buying more freeze dried food and ammo.
Old 02-22-2014, 9:05 PM
Banned

OH GOD say it aint so..........

The GUNLESS Godless HIPPIES actually get taught a lesson about that COEXIST failure of a bumper sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptybottle151 View Post
Old 02-22-2014, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
The GUNLESS Godless HIPPIES actually get taught a lesson about that COEXIST failure of a bumper sticker.
They would only have been taught a lesson if they came out the other side as conservatives. I'm sure that's NOT happening in this movie.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals

Last edited by Spyguy; 05-08-2014 at 2:15 AM..
Old 05-07-2014, 10:11 PM

Just finished watching it...And I still hate people. I would have smacked a few a few characters, probably twice if I was in their group.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I'm torn. The panty wastes from variety don't like it, so I probably will. But they call these people whiny, and I find those types to be effeminate crybabys, so when THEY say you're whiny, you might be REALLY whiny.
It's quotes like this that makes me wish Calguns had a "Like" button!
Old 05-08-2014, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptybottle151 View Post
Just finished watching it...And I still hate people. I would have smacked a few a few characters, probably twice if I was in their group.
Yeah - it seemed the lesson was supposed to be that you should help everyone who comes to your door otherwise they'll come take your stuff later...Umm kay.

It's really just a light comedy-drama, set in one possible scenario of a collapse.

I would say if you ca see it for free go for it...
Old 08-05-2014, 1:32 PM

Finally saw it on Netflix last night. I do like seeing peoples take on the end of the world scenario and this was just another one of those. There are a couple characters in the movie some of you may like and others that will annoy the hell out of you. One of my biggest problems was the owner, of the property they were on, dislike of guns. He has all that invested in a self sufficient home/getaway and nothing to defend it with. The little girl was also a brat.
Old 08-05-2014, 3:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
A movie about a bunch of hippies sitting around whining and talking about their feelings. I'd rather give myself an unanesthetized vasectomy with a rusty spoon.
i wouldn't go that far. but then, i haven't seen the movie and don't plan on it.
Old 08-05-2014, 8:34 PM

I thought it was solid.

Most of the guys here won't like it because it isnt about storing away guns and ammo.

Just a solid story about the way people act and i thought it was pretty accurate
Old 08-05-2014, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

looks really baaaaaad
Old 08-05-2014, 9:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sounds like a shovel-ready job to me. SSS

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmejr View Post
Finally saw it on Netflix last night. I do like seeing peoples take on the end of the world scenario and this was just another one of those. There are a couple characters in the movie some of you may like and others that will annoy the hell out of you. One of my biggest problems was the owner, of the property they were on, dislike of guns. He has all that invested in a self sufficient home/getaway and nothing to defend it with. The little girl was also a brat.
That was my thought too.... all that prep and not even a .22 rifle? Unlikely. Even FEMA recommends a shotgun.

Interested... did anyone else notice the "consequence" of not sharing? (the meds when first asked?) I thought that was an interesting statement.

I could have done with more action and less drama from their personal lives though. I didn't think it was as bad as people say. It was watchable.

BTW... did anyone else notice the revolver that the computer guy (Lef?) had at the start of the movie. Top Break enfield\webley revolver? I thought that was super random. .38 S&W isn't exactly easy to come by either!

Last edited by C&Rtrader; 08-05-2014 at 10:35 PM..
Old 08-08-2014, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&Rtrader View Post

I could have done with more action and less drama from their personal lives though. I didn't think it was as bad as people say. It was watchable.
Luckily the movie wasn't that long so it was bearable.

Anyone else care to share a review that has actually seen it?
Old 08-09-2014, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
One of my biggest problems was the owner, of the property they were on, dislike of guns. He has all that invested in a self sufficient home/getaway and nothing to defend it with.
Quote:
Anyone else care to share a review that has actually seen it?
Go for it, you guys that have seen the movie. Most here won't so don't worry about spoilers. I saw a regular plot summary here, but it didn't necessarily focus on things that regulars in this forum would pick up on.

If the old government is no longer around to enforce the old rules, a multitude of new "governments" will spring up overnight. The reason I probably won't watch is that the James role calls for a Rick (as "Ricktator"), but instead they give us Sheepleman as the leader. That bad things then happen is a foregone conclusion.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&Rtrader View Post
That was my thought too.... all that prep and not even a .22 rifle? Unlikely. Even FEMA recommends a shotgun.

Interested... did anyone else notice the "consequence" of not sharing? (the meds when first asked?) I thought that was an interesting statement.

BTW... did anyone else notice the revolver that the computer guy (Lef?) had at the start of the movie. Top Break enfield\webley revolver? I thought that was super random. .38 S&W isn't exactly easy to come by either!
I was like, "That's Indiana Jones's gun!"

Maybe that's why he only had one round lol.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Saw it. Liked it.

Not spectacular, but entertaining. The production was good, acting was good, realism was ok, girls were hot (Caroline Dhavernas -yowza). They did some dumb stuff, but not too bad. Someone else mentioned the kid was a brat. Agreed. A little discipline was in order.

But yeah, who does all that prep and lives in the woods and doesn't even own a .22?

I would have liked to join the girls in the hot tub though.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 08-26-2014, 2:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketti View Post
Huh, a liberal made prepper movie, I think I'll save my money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
Sounds horrible: like a Troma-produced remake of that painfully-annoying sitcom "Friends." I can't stand dope-headed hippies and whiny entitled liberal metrosexual hipsters in real life, so I would never want to watch a movie about them (unless they all became zombie-food within the first 10 minutes).

Speaking of dopes... in a post-SHTF world, stoners and other druggies will be among the very first to die.
This has got to be the worst movie that I've almost saw in its entirety.

I felt like I was at the dentist's office having my teeth cleaned!

Because it's an teotwawki movie I stuck it out for the first 1/2 hour hoping things would improve...WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!

The high point of the movie was when the President was broadcasting a speech that the hippies tuned in on with their outdated cheezy TV.

The cry rang out "THE PRESIDENT'S ON" and every single one of those reprobate hippies dropped everything that they were doing and ran like lemmings to see the president speak.

How pathetic.

What a sad, sad excuse for a movie.

Thank you for letting me share.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Saw it on Netflix streaming so I felt it was only a time killer. To sum it up, catastrophes affect liberals also. It wasn't a good movie but I powered through it. Most of the characters were incredible annoying. However it showed that being prepared is a good thing and maybe libs will watch it and see the necessity of preparing, even if it's just a little.
Old 08-27-2014, 1:15 PM

irritated that no one had any guns and that who the bad guys were.but the over all movie wasn't bad. way to much drama but honestly what movie doesnt have drama. +1 on the getting high and skinny dipping in the hot top. also im pretty sure i would be drinking and getting high after the world ends too. the best quote from the movie was when she said "let mommy poor this imporant beer" or something like that
Old 08-27-2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcuits View Post
I'll watch it, but it appears to be a film about those who choose to buy supplies first and ignored the protection aspect of survival. Therefore I don't see survivalists, I see sheep waiting to be eaten.
1st thing I thought of while watching the trailer. Who decides to live "off grid" and doesn't have a means to protect themselves when they are obviously very far away from any kind of LEO?

I'd watch it though.
Old 08-27-2014, 4:18 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent bark View Post
irritated that no one had any guns and that who the bad guys were.but the over all movie wasn't bad. way to much drama but honestly what movie doesnt have drama. +1 on the getting high and skinny dipping in the hot top. also im pretty sure i would be drinking and getting high after the world ends too. the best quote from the movie was when she said "let mommy poor this imporant beer" or something like that

I loved that beer tap installed in the counter.

And the wife/mom is super cute.
Old 08-29-2014, 5:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juelz919 View Post
I thought it was solid.

Most of the guys here won't like it because it isnt about storing away guns and ammo.

Just a solid story about the way people act and i thought it was pretty accurate
You thought it was solid and accurate about the way people behave in real life?

So you are saying is that the chick who got off the motorcycle, dropped her draws and took a piss in front of everyone (including a child) is "solid" and "accurate" portrayal of reality?
Old 08-29-2014, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Who remembers Mystery Science Theater 3000? (MST3K for it's most rabid fans.) Sinbad? "'Oh great... now Sinbad is singing... poorly'" Manos: The Hands of Fate? "Spare the child ... Spare the child ... 'Spare the child and spoil the rod'" Anyway, now they have something called RiffTrax and Goodbye World would be perfect for that. Or someone here could do their own riffs and put it up on Youtube for the rest of us. That I would definitely watch.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralston View Post
However it showed that being prepared is a good thing and maybe libs will watch it and see the necessity of preparing, even if it's just a little.
Q: What do you call a liberal with preps?
A: A resupply cache.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyguy View Post
Q: What do you call a liberal with preps?
A: A resupply cache.
Ok. That was funny.

Honestly, I think watching a SHTF type movie is really like going to class. You are there to learn something, either by the mistakes of others or through good ideas you didn't think of. Like class, you aren't there to be entertained. When viewed through that lens I learned a few things so it was worth the watch.

I mean really.. would you want to spend 2 hours watching video of some guy living in a bunker eating mountain house, drinking bottled water, and cleaning and re cleaning his AR?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:59 PM

Funny that the gun they are all afraid off is the only thing that saved them in the end. I bet they still wouldn't use a gun, only the semi government chick had the balls to do it.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 08-29-2014, 2:43 PM

Most SHTF movies stink because they use the SHTF event as a plot device for human drama, instead of showing all the interesting things that happen when society loses it's bearings.
Old 08-29-2014, 3:08 PM

Seen it on Netflix. It wasn't best flick I have ever seen but was decent for a small budget film, its a lot better than a whole lot of shtf movies on Netflix. However it does serve as a reminder to be prepared and have a plan for emergencies, or at least have a rich hippie friend that's prepared that you can rely on lol
Old 08-29-2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
You thought it was solid and accurate about the way people behave in real life?

So you are saying is that the chick who got off the motorcycle, dropped her draws and took a piss in front of everyone (including a child) is "solid" and "accurate" portrayal of reality?

Given that the world was ending and she was a girl of loose morals in the first place i'm not really surprised. I'm not sure how old you are but I've met multiple females my age who have absolutely zero discretion

I was more referring to it on a macro scale, Human nature as a whole. Establishing groups, people with less wanting what people with more have. The way people act in groups when there is no one to tell them what to do, the dynamic of choosing a leader and making decisions etc.
Old 08-29-2014, 3:38 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Given that the world was ending and she was a girl of loose morals in the first place i'm not really surprised. I'm not sure how old you are but I've met multiple females my age who have absolutely zero discretion

I was more referring to it on a macro scale, Human nature as a whole. Establishing groups, people with less wanting what people with more have. The way people act in groups when there is no one to tell them what to do, the dynamic of choosing a leader and making decisions etc.
No kidding. What is up with girls just picking their noses. Sooooo gross. I've seen a several do that. There all like "Its natural, nothing to be embarrassed about"
Old 08-29-2014, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Saw a decent end of the world movie the other day. "This is how I live now" kinda weird, it was a SHTF movie from a girls perspective. The wife liked and it was actually pretty good. First 20 minutes kinda lag though and then it gets cranking. Just watched goodbye world and it was realistic minus the guns.
Old 08-29-2014, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Wikipedia plot summary didn't mention this. How is James not the "leader"? Who is doing the choosing and what choice to they have? If there is any object lesson, it is to be ready to lead and to know where your power resides. How hard would it have been for James to have quickly trained a squad-sized unit of these "friends" and hold off two National Guard troops? Offer to feed the neighbors if they are willing to farm his land as sharecroppers. What choice would they have? No one WANTS to be a peasant, it's just the hand they were dealt. If you are a prepper intending to hold land, then what you are really doing is making plans to be (land)lord instead of a hapless peasant. James' failure to think along these lines directly lead to the ordeals he went through.
Old 08-29-2014, 5:19 PM

""Most of the guys here won't like it because it isnt about storing away guns and ammo""

Not having any is like sex with a condom boring
Old 09-01-2014, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Movies make people stupid.
Old 09-01-2014, 1:34 PM

I saw it. You will not be impressed.