Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-21-2011, 4:16 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default AB 809 (2011) Feuer - EFFECTIVE JAN 1 2014, register long guns

AB 809 passed. Read the text here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/...chaptered.html

The effective date is Jan 1, 2014.

NO, you will not have to register long guns you already own.

YES, the DROS process will be changed so long gun information - make, model, serial number (if any) will be collected, and sent to CA-DOJ, and that information will be kept available.

YES, intrafamilial long gun transfers are affected - there will be new or modified forms, and you will have to send them in with a fee when you transfer long guns among parent/child/grandchild.

YES, if you move here in 2014 and later, you must report long guns within 60 days of bringing them into the state; there will be new or modified forms, and you will have to send them in with a fee.

YES, out of state C&R long gun purchases are affected; starting in 2014 a C&R licensee must report out of state long gun purchases. There will be new or modified forms, and you will have to send them in with a fee.

YES, in-state C&R long gun purchases are affected;
(1) Starting in 2014, long guns 50 years old and older must be transferred through an FFL; the exemption that is in the law now, that allows FTF of these, is repealed in 2014.
(2) Starting in 2014, a buyer who is a C&R licensee inside CA, with COE (Certificate of Eligibility), may buy guns without involving another FFL. The purchase must be reported; there will be new or modified forms, and you will have to send them in with a fee.

=================================================

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/po...B&author=feuer

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 11-27-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Old 02-21-2011, 4:20 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Every time I see one of these piece of crap proposed new laws, it makes we want to go buy another high powered something or another to calm me down.

Donation to CGF and CRPA on the way...

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 02-21-2011, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
it makes we want to go buy another high powered something or another to calm me down.
Brilliant, definitely the thing to do. Just renewed my CG Membership this week too. Go get 'em.

What are the odds of this passing?
Old 02-21-2011, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Time to get that .50 DTC I've been thinking about.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 02-21-2011, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Every time I see one of these piece of crap proposed new laws, it makes we want to go buy another high powered something or another to calm me down.

Thank you for both - and being both a board member of CGF as well as CRPA, may I suggest that if you are targeting legal activities your CRPA-targeted contribution is sent to "CRPA Foundation"??

Being a CRPA member helps too

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-21-2011, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

If long gun registration failed last year, how can they propose it again?

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 02-21-2011, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post
Easy. Pete
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 02-21-2011, 5:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just like we propose pro-gun laws that may not have made it in a prior session.

However its failure last year - due to cost/overhead considerations - will likely carry over this year.

You can be sure this is a Brady/LCAV bill given it's Feuer - they absolutely want to paper every gun they can.

The good news: this costs a lot of money. And last time I checked we were broke, DOJ BoF is understaffed, and we have a very cheap-arsed governor.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 02-21-2011, 5:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
2011-2102 is a new legislative session. The sort-of-restriction is proposing substantially the same content in the SAME session.

So, a bill defeated in June 2011 cannot be re-introduced verbatim in Jan 2012, but it could be in Jan 2013, and a version of it could be reintroduced in Jan 2012 if the writer found a different avenue to theoretically accomplish the same goal as the defeated bill.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Last edited by Librarian; 02-21-2011 at 8:24 PM..
Old 02-21-2011, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
2011-2102 is a new legislative session. The sort-of-restriction is proposing substantially the same contend in the SAME session.

So, a bill defeated in June 2011 cannot be re-introduced verbatim in Jan 2012, but it could be in Jan 2013, and a version of it could be reintroduced in Jan 2012 if the writer found a different avenue to theoretically accomplish the same goal as the defeated bill.
Got it, thanks!

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 02-21-2011, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
... and we have a very cheap-arsed governor.
Interesting choice of words. You are not saying pro-gun governor (or what is gun-friendly?) any longer. Any insights for this change?
Old 02-21-2011, 8:24 PM

This is not about crime control. This is pure gun control. I'll send some cash to CRPA Foundation ASAP.

Old 02-21-2011, 8:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmastar View Post
Interesting choice of words. You are not saying pro-gun governor (or what is gun-friendly?) any longer. Any insights for this change?
I wouldn't read to much into that. Put it this way if JB was a total anti he would find the funds to make this law. What Bill said was this would not be high on the governors list of potential laws that would be worth funding. Beyond that, do the math. AKA "cheap arse"
Old 02-21-2011, 8:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It's not a change it's just yet another justification for doing something with a broad sweep.

A progun action done with cover of budgetary restraint is still a progun action.

A legislator who may not tout pro-gun sentiments but who puts in IP sole-source restrictions in the microstamping law has done something very pro-gun.

It's not about flag-waving, it's about results.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You know, sometimes words are just words.
Old 02-22-2011, 8:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

The previous long gun registration attempts resulted in my purchase of a Mossberg and an AR-15-purchases that I have previously delayed for whatever reason.

These bills are highly effective at increasing the number of weapons available.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Received the article below via NRA-ILA and called my local PD with questions. The watch commander said he (personally) flat out opposes such an intrusion into privacy and agrees it would not be effective. The only people with registered weapons will be those who obey the law. Though a large department, they don't even enter handgun regs into their CAD system and there's no way they'll do it for long guns. This pretty much eliminates any claims for improved officer safety when responding to domestic violence or other calls.

If such a system were in place I think it would increase the danger to civilians. If PD responds to a home with the knowledge that the occupant is "armed" the likelihood of a tragic mistake is quite great.

Can someone point me to information that supports or debunks the claim that "1/3 of crime guns are long guns"?

Read the full article

Quote:
LA City Council supports proposed state gun law

Daily News Wire Services
Posted: 04/01/2011

VAN NUYS - The Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously Friday to support a former colleague's proposed state law that would require records of purchases of shotguns, rifles and other "long guns" be preserved like handgun purchase records.
Under current law, the state is required to destroy records of long-gun purchases five days after the transaction.

Assembly Bill 809, introduced by Democratic Assemblyman and former Los Angeles City Councilman Mike Feuer, would treat the records the same as records for handguns, beginning in 2013.

The bill is in the early stages of the legislative process and scheduled for a hearing before the Assembly Public Safety Committee.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
LA City Council supports proposed state gun law

Daily News Wire Services
Posted: 04/01/2011
In other news, the sky is still blue.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

CA doesn't break it out by handgun/long gun.

Feds (UCR, 2009) say Homicide victims: 6452 killed with handguns, 348 rifles, 418 shotguns.

Even FBI doesn't break down other crime stats by firearm type.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM

Thanks! So 12% are long guns but only of homicides not the more general "crime guns" the city councilman is using. Perhaps the stats they claim are for LA only.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Easily! They just "propose" it again. And again. And again. Until it passes.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 PM

^^^ if it's ever seen as a law that helps instead of a law that will just waste government money that they don't have.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM

AB 809 just passed the Assembly, so on to the Senate. No discussion on this bill as the Republicans had walked out of the Assembly a few bills prior to this, when a bill related to healthcare by Feuer came up and they couldn't stop it. (this is the official AB 809 thread, isn't it?)

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
In other news, the sky is still blue.
And the LA City Council is still certifiably insane. In other words, business as usual here in the PRK.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Edit...ignore my post. This was 'AB' not 'SB' 809. The assembly was on the floor earlier today, so they must have already voted on it I guess.

Anyone know the outcome?

http://www.calchannel.com/channel/live/
“See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.” - Colossians 2:8

Last edited by BlindRacer; 06-02-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Old 06-02-2011, 12:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Brilliant, definitely the thing to do. Just renewed my CG Membership this week too. Go get 'em.

What are the odds of this passing?
You do realize that your CGN "membership" is to help support the costs of opperating this forum, right? It has NOTHING to do with the CGF or their work. If you want to contribute towards the por 2A work that the CGF does, you need to make a donation dirrectly to them.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindRacer View Post
Edit...ignore my post. This was 'AB' not 'SB' 809. The assembly was on the floor earlier today, so they must have already voted on it I guess.

Anyone know the outcome?

http://www.calchannel.com/channel/live/
Yeah, look up two posts from your last post...

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable, what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
Yeah, look up two posts from your last post...
Wow, my bad! I hadn't been keeping that close of an eye on this the last few days, and saw something that it was going to be on the assembly floor soon.

Guess I'll go back to watching this one instead of failing to contribute.
“See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.” - Colossians 2:8
Old 06-02-2011, 7:50 PM

Would this mean my c&r license is essentially going to be useless?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM

In the midst of a recession, the great minds in Sacramento keep thinking of new ways to blindly spend money. I wouldn't be surprised if this bill bankrupts California.
Old 06-27-2011, 6:57 PM

Quote:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/po...B&author=feuer
I think it says DROS now will include long-gun info - amends 11106 - but long-gun info is still supposed to be destroyed after 5 days. Frankly, I don't quite follow Section 2 (amends 11106) and Section 2.5 (ADDS 11106)... MEGO (My Eyes Glaze Over).
Glad I'm not the only one... but if YOU can't understand it then who the hell can??? It does say that the DROS info for "not handguns" is destroyed after 5 days, but it gets real convoluted after that...

And this thing is written such that it is supposed to fund itself (pipe dream city, right there); it wasn't even going to go Appropriations... looks like the Public Safety committee thought that it should and has referred it there in the course of passing (5-1).

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Old 07-08-2011, 6:04 PM

How does this affect C&R FFL holders if passed?
Old 07-08-2011, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
AKA "cheap arse"
I have no problem with that.

If we had a few thousand more with that attitude, on both sides of the aisle, we wouldn't be in such deep doo-doo right now, as a state and as a nation.

It's the ones who throw out bundles of cash to every dim-bulb idea or open hand that comes along, that cause the fiscal crises. (Look at the handwringing right now in Washington).
Old 07-08-2011, 6:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylarz View Post
How does this affect C&R FFL holders if passed?
Don't know about C&R FFL but it will put an end to face-to-face transfers for C&R guns between ordinary civilians.
Old 07-08-2011, 6:40 PM

If it restricts the right of an honest citizen then oppose it and make sure your elected officials know it all the way up the line. Vote for this bill and guess who i vote against in the next election and then keep your word.
Old 07-08-2011, 6:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernher von Browning View Post
Don't know about C&R FFL but it will put an end to face-to-face transfers for C&R guns between ordinary civilians.

... and those with a C&R license would no longer be able to mail order 50+ year old long guns from out of state vendors without using an FFL.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 07-08-2011, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
2011-2102 is a new legislative session. The sort-of-restriction is proposing substantially the same content in the SAME session.

Yeah I read some of it and it will commence (if approved) in Jan 2013. Right now I think its on its way to the fiscal committee for review?

Cant someone stop him from reintroducing the same stuff over and over again as non-cost effective? Such as, "hey bro, knock it off, its getting old'? Are they that hard headed? Wait, I know the answer to that one

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 07-08-2011, 9:24 PM

Would this mean that long guns that citizens currently own would have to be registered? Or is it for all new purchases?
Old 07-08-2011, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothshifter41 View Post
Would this mean that long guns that citizens currently own would have to be registered? Or is it for all new purchases?
Same question.

Old 07-09-2011, 8:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

My understanding is that this would apply to new purchases only.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ