Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-31-2016, 8:10 AM

Default Ticket not in system?

My dad got a ticket a couple of months ago for talking on the phone while driving. He gave it the 30 or so days it says to before checking online, and it said "ticket not found" or something like that.

Yesterday was his court date that was on the ticket, and they couldn't find it in the system either!

Once he got a supervisor who could help, they had him pay the fine but said keep your receipt incase there is a warrant out for this

Why would there be a warrant out if he paid the ticket, and IF there is a warrant, how will that affect him in terms of his record, purchasing firearms, etc.?

Thank you!
Interview: 4/12/22
More documentation for GC requested and sent: 6/23/22
Livescan completed and cleared: 8/3/22 Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/7/22
Proceed to training email: 9/13/22
Training doc received: 9/28/22
Call to pick up: 10/31/22
Pick up permit: 11/4/22
Old 03-31-2016, 10:22 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I once had a ticket not show up in the system. went to court to pay it and they couldn't find it. they gave me a note or soemthing showing that I had showed up to pay it.

3 years later I get my DL renewal in the mail but it shows that I have an FTA, WTF? dig deeper and they had filed my ticket in the juvenile court system instead of adult court (they read my DOB wrong off the ticket) and I was an FTA there. Immediately drove down to juvi and saw the judge who dismissed the ticket and cleared the FTA.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-31-2016, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
I once had a ticket not show up in the system. went to court to pay it and they couldn't find it. they gave me a note or soemthing showing that I had showed up to pay it.

3 years later I get my DL renewal in the mail but it shows that I have an FTA, WTF? dig deeper and they had filed my ticket in the juvenile court system instead of adult court (they read my DOB wrong off the ticket) and I was an FTA there. Immediately drove down to juvi and saw the judge who dismissed the ticket and cleared the FTA.
Thanks, would a moving violation ticket even end up in something like Juvi court system?

Last edited by 09cs; 03-31-2016 at 9:14 PM..
Old 03-31-2016, 9:14 PM
CGN Contributor

Have him also contact the agency who issued the ticket and inquire about it on their end. It's possible the ticket did not get submitted to the court.

FFL in Orange, CA.
Old 03-31-2016, 9:20 PM

There is a lot about this that does not make sense. The issuing agency must file the citations with the court before any criminal process can start. Sometimes they do not do this timely, and sometimes they decide not to file citations. Unless OP entered a plea (guilty, not-guilty, or nolo) there was no reason to collect his bail. What OP needed was documentation he appeared as promised and there was nothing on file (who made the mistake? the cops, the court?). Then if the agency decides to file, he will be notified. Make sure your correct address is on file with the court and document that you did so.
Old 04-01-2016, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer898 View Post
There is a lot about this that does not make sense. The issuing agency must file the citations with the court before any criminal process can start. Sometimes they do not do this timely, and sometimes they decide not to file citations. Unless OP entered a plea (guilty, not-guilty, or nolo) there was no reason to collect his bail. What OP needed was documentation he appeared as promised and there was nothing on file (who made the mistake? the cops, the court?). Then if the agency decides to file, he will be notified. Make sure your correct address is on file with the court and document that you did so.
The supervisor he spoke to gave him a receipt saying he showed up and paid the fine
Old 04-01-2016, 7:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would be inclined to pursue all possibilities.
There is no such thing as a free lunch -- or a lost ticket.
Old 04-02-2016, 7:23 PM

There are a couple real possibilities here. If the officer wrote the ticket on a paper ticket and lost his copy of the ticket or forgot to turn it in (or something like that) then the court would never have any clue you got one. If he issued it using an electronic ticket writer, when he went to upload them to the computer it may have never transferred over (this just happened to me last weekend). And then there is always the possibility the court made an error somewhere.
Old 04-03-2016, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorscs View Post
There are a couple real possibilities here. If the officer wrote the ticket on a paper ticket and lost his copy of the ticket or forgot to turn it in (or something like that) then the court would never have any clue you got one. If he issued it using an electronic ticket writer, when he went to upload them to the computer it may have never transferred over (this just happened to me last weekend). And then there is always the possibility the court made an error somewhere.
It was a paper ticket. I told him to call the CHP monday (tomorrow) to see if they know anything.