Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:51 PM

Saw an M1A Scout AA9126 (synethetic Stock, not stainless, 2001 manufacter..so should have chrome-lined barrel), used but only 100 or so rounds, for $1325

Is this a good deal?

Are Springfields cast receivers up to the task? Will the replace if if anything happens?

What sort of accuracy will a scout deliver with surplus like Portuguese?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 2:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Ted,

I did a little M1A research last week...while trying to decide on a .308 battle rifle. I called Springfield and was informed they 'ran out' of chrome-lined barrels in Dec. 2003. Presumably those manufactured prior to that date should be chrome (not sure if it's 100%). Those manufactured after are not.

By the way, how does your Scout compare to that Fal build? Which is more accurate and better able to hold a scope? Which seems more durable?
Old 06-06-2005, 9:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't think Sprgfld Armory ever put chrome-lined barrels into anything but their base-model standard M1A with the standard barrel length.

From what I've heard, seems the shorter-barreled Springfield Scout and SOCOM rifles have never had chromed barrels. From a production standpoint, Springfield would not want to 'waste' chromed barrels cutting them down (since there is a small risk of chrome flaking at the muzzle, and they're not gonna want a rifle run with some barrels running 18.5", 18.25", 18", 17.75", etc. - depends upon getting a good cut.

Why Springfield won't go produce chrome-lined barrels for their line I just don't know. I'd pay $150 extra (their add'l cost is around $45, incl. setup costs, throwaways, etc.)

The several times I've spoken to Springfield Amory reps (at SHOT Show, Reed's S.A. 'event', etc.) they look at me like I'm strange.

The moment I can get a SOCOM-style M1A with a chromed bbl, I'll do it. Guess it won't be a Springfield...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.