Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Default ETA: GOT MINE, 2.5 mos. Registration processing time question

I submitted on 4/30, haven't received an email (besides the transaction confirmation).

Website shows that transactions are "in progress."

How long has this been taking for people who registered in the past month or so?

Thanks

ETA:

Submitted 4/30
Started receiving emails towards end of June about my pictures.
Got letter 7/14.

Last edited by God Bless America; 07-15-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Old 05-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Lots of people are posting their experiences here :
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...4&share_type=t

Might be 2 weeks, might be 2 months. Doesn't seem to be much reason behind the wait.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2018, 1:42 PM

I did one rifle with no problems or hold ups. It took exactly 75 days, start to finish, to receive my letter in the mail. It gets done "when they get around to it."
Edit: I got a confirmation email exactly 36 days after my initial submission. Although this was back in august...

Last edited by oktavist; 05-07-2018 at 1:47 PM..
Old 05-07-2018, 3:37 PM

When I submitted mine, it took exactly six weeks to receive my letter. I received the pay conformation on the first day and the follow-up Email about a week after submission. After I received my letter, I sent in the app for the wife. Received the pay confirmation on day one and now, eight weeks later, still have not received Email or letter. Only they know their system on how this is done so all we can do is sit and wait. As long as they took the money, you are good before the deadline cutoff.
Old 05-07-2018, 3:43 PM

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 60+ days. I wonder if they'll be dealing with huge pile of 'last minute' registration attempts.
Old 05-08-2018, 2:36 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 60+ days. I wonder if they'll be dealing with huge pile of 'last minute' registration attempts.
Almost certainly. I bet 75% of those who are registering will wait until the last week.

The DOJ website is fragile... hopefully all the procrastinators don't cause the website to crash when everyone needs it the most. It was crashed more often than it was online during the first week or two of registration.
Don't panic. MOST people who registered AWs are still waiting. They didn't lose your app or forget about you, they are just REALLY SLOW. If there's a problem with your app, they'll tell you. Otherwise, all you can do is wait.

2018 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Old 05-08-2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
I submitted on 4/30, haven't received an email (besides the transaction confirmation).

Whistle shows that transactions are "in progress."

How long has this been taking for people who registered in the part month or so?

Thanks
I submitted three separate rifles for registration almost the same day as you ( I think the 29th). I as well see the dreaded ďin progressĒ words on the status side of the history page. Super frustrating. Guess you canít contact CFARS and expect them to do anything until 90 days have past.

I donít know what Iím going to do if it gets closer and closer to the end date?
Old 05-09-2018, 4:46 AM

I submitted my registration request back in November of 2017, and they are still showing in progress on their site. I emailed them and the response was we are processing your requests, but can't give you a completion date estimate.
Old 05-09-2018, 2:53 PM

Anyone done a AR pistol with Radllock yet? If it gets refused can you still swap it for a standard bullet button?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Gardner View Post
I submitted my registration request back in November of 2017, and they are still showing in progress on their site. I emailed them and the response was we are processing your requests, but can't give you a completion date estimate.
Damn....this isnít good news.
Old 05-30-2018, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

Any updates? Anybody register within the part 30 days and hear anything back (not including DOJ at the door)?
Old 05-30-2018, 4:46 PM

I submitted January 22nd, had to make some adjustments to the submission, letter was issued February 8th....I got it on the 13th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2018, 5:01 PM

I have friends and family members who registered within the last month and one got his letter within a week, and the other within 3 weeks.

mine took 7 months, my roommates took 9 months

there is no rhyme or reason to their timelines.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:26 AM

I did two different transactions the first one was in March, I had 5 rifles that are still being processed because I had to go over a few things they wanted me to change and second I had 2 rifles which were processed and now registered as AW which only took a month and a half. Kind of weird that the first few I'm still waiting on.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBilleb View Post

I donít know what Iím going to do if it gets closer and closer to the end date?
End date doesn't matter. You can submit up to the last day. You don't have to receive approval by the deadline.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b18bturboek9 View Post
I did two different transactions the first one was in March, I had 5 rifles that are still being processed because I had to go over a few things they wanted me to change and second I had 2 rifles which were processed and now registered as AW which only took a month and a half. Kind of weird that the first few I'm still waiting on.
Who knows . . . .perhaps they're using some sort of processing priority method and targeting the simplest ones first; perhaps sending the more problematic ones on to their "experts" to sort out?
Old 05-31-2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS94901 View Post
End date doesn't matter. You can submit up to the last day. You don't have to receive approval by the deadline.
And what if DOJ decides to not approve somebody for whatever reason?

Are they going to send courtesy letters informing people to convert to featureless and fixed mag or are they going to show up on doorsteps and let people know personally as they confiscate weapons?
Old 05-31-2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehazard View Post

Are they going to send courtesy letters informing people to convert to featureless and fixed mag or are they going to show up on doorsteps and let people know personally as they confiscate weapons?
If I was registering and didn't have approval by the deadline, I would most certainly disassemble it by taking the upper apart from the lower.
Old 05-31-2018, 5:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Then we'll be reading about them like we are now with the farmer from Bakersfield!
Old 06-01-2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
If I was registering and didn't have approval by the deadline, I would most certainly disassemble it by taking the upper apart from the lower.
That was actually one of my questions. Under the new law, even if you have a patriot button, will having it disassembled not be allowed?

I say this because when the upper and lower are disassembled, the magazine can drop freely.

I have a discreet bag that requires my upper and lower to be dissembled.

The new law is so vague that I dont know if this is allowed anymore and if the locked magazine feature has to always be present regardless if the weapon can fire or not.
Old 06-01-2018, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydo View Post
That was actually one of my questions. Under the new law, even if you have a patriot button, will having it disassembled not be allowed?

I say this because when the upper and lower are disassembled, the magazine can drop freely.

I have a discreet bag that requires my upper and lower to be dissembled.

The new law is so vague that I dont know if this is allowed anymore and if the locked magazine feature has to always be present regardless if the weapon can fire or not.

There's a lot wrong with what you're saying, and it's not your fault. But suffice to say that a firearm where the upper and lower are completely detached is neither Centerfire nor semiautomatic and therefore not an assault rifle.
Old 06-01-2018, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
There's a lot wrong with what you're saying, and it's not your fault. But suffice to say that a firearm where the upper and lower are completely detached is neither Centerfire nor semiautomatic and therefore not an assault rifle.
That was my thinking as well. However, there was some thread going on and on the other day about the legalities of not having it together. I must have misunderstood it wrong. The thread started about one of those quick disconnect levers. The ones that break the action ever so slightly and then swing back closed. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-15-2018, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

After going back and forth over pictures at the end of June (errors were mine) I just got my letter yesterday.
Old 07-15-2018, 1:09 PM

Submitted mine on April 8th. Still shows in progress.
Old 07-15-2018, 9:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dang, when I regd, I had my letter within a week. I did do it in like March though

EDIT: my bad, CFARS still says in progress as of 16 Jul 18, however my letter is dated 10 Mar 18

Last edited by jimbo74; 07-16-2018 at 4:11 AM..
Old 07-15-2018, 11:35 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
Dang, when I regd, I had my letter within 6 days. I did do it in like March though

Cfars still showed processing for like another week, but eventually caught up

What did it say after "in progress"? So far I've only heard of people's CFARS history saying "in progress" well after being approved, I'm curious if your says something different
Don't panic. MOST people who registered AWs are still waiting. They didn't lose your app or forget about you, they are just REALLY SLOW. If there's a problem with your app, they'll tell you. Otherwise, all you can do is wait.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Beware of their data breach
Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellayella View Post
Beware of their data breach
Not much we can do about it... Thankfully they apparently only leaked data to other registrants. Not likely, at this point, that anyone's data is ending up online publicly. Still, yes that's something to be aware of. Their data disclosure notice when you register was always a little concerning, that they essentially released themselves from liability.

Old 07-16-2018, 3:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
What did it say after "in progress"? So far I've only heard of people's CFARS history saying "in progress" well after being approved, I'm curious if your says something different
My bad, guess I was mistaken, still says "In Progress" on the site, as of right now on 16 Jul 18

My transaction receipt (when they charged me $15) was dated 03 Mar 18, then I got an email saying my submission was confirmed on 06 Mar 18, and when my letter came it was dated 10 Mar 18

I do want to mention that I read that thread on here about registering, and filled out my form verbatim.

When CFARS sent my submission confirmation email, it had my name, address and had the generic specs of the rifle. I like how this agency spelled "interchangeable" incorrectly [I have edited personal info of this email, but it is exactly how it looked, even the cases of the letters]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To:JIMBO74@HOTMAIL.COM

Subject: California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS) Submission Confirmation Notice

Jimbo74
MY ADDRESS
NORCAL CA 94599

Gun Make: SPIKE'S TACTICAL
Gun Model: ST15
Gun Caliber: Firearm with interchangable barrels
Serial #: XXX999999

The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application https://cfars.doj.ca.gov. For questions regarding your account, please email the Bureau of Firearms at: bofcris@doj.ca.gov

Last edited by jimbo74; 07-16-2018 at 4:24 AM..
Old 07-16-2018, 5:21 AM

Are we all talking about AW reg? Or FOR? I heard it is taking months for FOR approvals if anything.
Old 07-16-2018, 5:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertskiii View Post
Are we all talking about AW reg? Or FOR? I heard it is taking months for FOR approvals if anything.
not sure what FOR is? I am talking about my BBAW reginstration
Old 07-16-2018, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertskiii View Post
AW reg.
Old 07-16-2018, 8:46 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
not sure what FOR is? I am talking about my BBAW reginstration
Firearm Ownership Report (commonly called "voluntary registration" or Vol-reg here on calguns). It's what people needed to do before July 1st so they could keep their own serial numbers on their home-built (80%) non-AW firearms.

And yes, people are reporting that DOJ hasn't processed any of those since like February or March.

Old 07-16-2018, 8:49 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:

According to the DOJ regulations, they must notify you by email if your application is rejected.

They haven't historically given anybody an outright rejection, though, unless the firearm being registered was illegal. Typically they just mark your app as "incomplete" and ask you to make whatever changes and resubmit within 30 days.

Old 07-16-2018, 9:27 AM

It doesn't matter now that they have your information.
Old 07-16-2018, 1:05 PM

I Vol Reg my 80% recievers on 5/24 and haven't heard anything yet, just says in progress on the web site.
Old 07-16-2018, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Mine still say "in progress."
Old 07-16-2018, 4:59 PM

Submitted mine on 6/27. Received email 7/10. Received letter today, 7/16.
Old 07-16-2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renty View Post
Submitted mine on 6/27. Received email 7/10. Received letter today, 7/16.
How many guns?

Anyone register last minute with more 10 guns? I've heard a wide variety of times people have received letters.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neffect View Post
How many guns?

Anyone register last minute with more 10 guns? I've heard a wide variety of times people have received letters.
Three guns. A buddy of mine registered the same day with only one gun, and hasn't received anything. Timing seems like kind of a crap shoot