Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 07-01-2018, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
...Most that I see that are B are Sharpshooter or Expert in IDPA. C's are usually marksman. Don't know how the new classifications will change things.
It only changes things in that it will be a bit harder to go up in classes in USPSA as most classifiers had their high hit factors increased, and IDPA seems to have made their classifier much easier with 5x5 from what I have been told.
Old 07-03-2018, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

I know an IDPA and USPSA Master, he said a IDPA Master is like an A class shooter. This was before the change to the USPSA classifiers.
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 07-05-2018, 6:45 AM

Hi Shooters -

I have added a new thread to this sub-forum

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=21844182

It's about a chart I stumbled upon that compares the different "schools" (for lack of a better word/terminology) of classifiers, ie., IDPA vs USPSA vs POST, etc.

As we are probably veering of the "5x5" topic, do check the other thread out? It may make for interesting conversation.

Cheers!!!

_

Last edited by rodralig; 07-05-2018 at 7:11 AM..
Old 07-12-2018, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Did you shoot the IDPA match at Prado today? I was there. I have not shot the 5x5 and dont intend to. I prefer the old school classifier with three stages. Additionally, I got a match bump last fall that will take me some time to develop into the next higher level.
When Prado IDPA again provides a classifier match, I'll be sure to attend. Hoping that the traditional 72-round classifier lends more credence to my 5x5 results.

Quote:
Quite a few of the the upper level usual suspects were absent from this match.
*nod* Would have to agree...

Finally got my match footage uploaded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGFVwTYMP2g

Yup! As mentioned, wasn't as accurate as I wanted to be, as was just blasting away. And yeah, there was a couple of VERY EMBARRASSING moments!!! I have highlighted them with Xes!

_
Old 07-12-2018, 8:19 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

I believe Prado runs the 5x5 at every match. I have not heard of any clubs running the 72 round one since the 5x5 became official.
Old 07-12-2018, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
I believe Prado runs the 5x5 at every match. I have not heard of any clubs running the 72 round one since the 5x5 became official.
Yeah... I think everyone is "taking the easy way out" ...pardon the pun.
Old 07-13-2018, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Quote:
Yeah... I think everyone is "taking the easy way out" ...pardon the pun.
O k a yy... So, the only way to go up in class is to either get a match promotion OR take the 5x5 (which isn't very satisfying)...

Having said that - I recently read in another forum that
  • Since the classifier is short, the general expectation was that it would be easy.
  • However, the shooters then realize that because it is SHORT, a single mistake can ruin everything. There is no catch-up like the longer classifiers.
  • At least for the small population of cases, there was no majority of shooters going up a class because of the 5x5. Most remained in their current classes, while a few did go down.

Quite insightful, don't you think?

In my case, my first IDPA classifier was back in late May 2017, which I took a week after my first match (my first foray into competition). I got an SS in SSP with a score of 120.64 (mid-SS). I haven't taken any IDPA classifiers until I took the 5x5 13-months later. Could this mean that I may have improved in the fundamentals skills (which the classifier "measures"); but just need to work on match performance to be up with the EXs?

Thoughts?

_

Last edited by rodralig; 07-13-2018 at 6:52 AM..
Old 07-14-2018, 8:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post

In my case, my first IDPA classifier was back in late May 2017, which I took a week after my first match (my first foray into competition). I got an SS in SSP with a score of 120.64 (mid-SS). I haven't taken any IDPA classifiers until I took the 5x5 13-months later. Could this mean that I may have improved in the fundamentals skills (which the classifier "measures"); but just need to work on match performance to be up with the EXs?

Thoughts?

_
My first foray into competition was the 90 round classifier, I shot SS in CDP.

Within a year I shot EX in SSP on my last 90 round classifier.
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 07-14-2018, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
My first foray into competition was the 90 round classifier, I shot SS in CDP.

Within a year I shot EX in SSP on my last 90 round classifier.
That is what I'm saying - I'm now ranked EX, but, would believe am nowhere near an EX in match performance.

Either the 5x5 is easy (but have read that it is actually challenging) and/or I just need to work on my match skills (which I'm at a lost at).

_
Old 07-14-2018, 8:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't sweat it. You already know the guys you want to beat. I just look at overall, IDPA has too many divisions anyway.

Old 07-14-2018, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
...or I just need to work on my match skills (which I'm at a lost at).
Just take a look at the guys who are consistently beating you and see what they are doing different.

Analyze what they are doing on a stage and compare it to what you are doing. Speed or accuracy are the easy answers, but it will usually come down to stage planning and efficient movement