Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:08 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default What Featureless grips will fit a AR10 ?

I got a friend who's a Veteran and wants a featureless grip for his Aero precision AR10 SAAS sniper model. He wants something with a thumb rest or a grip that would allow him to wrap his thumb around it. I'm pretty sure a magpul miad with a exile machine backfin would work. Anyone know if the sparrow dynamics grips or similar fit AR10's? I'm not familiar with AR10's so any help would be appreciated.
Galil arm/ar/sar , Milled Sam7 , Yugo AK , & Sling loop version thumb grips available now

Last edited by comifornia:(; 07-12-2018 at 4:25 AM..
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 AM

Resurgent Arms safeties are bad ***, with a great thumb holder
Old 07-12-2018, 5:21 AM

Vism vagparca $10 shipped done
Old 07-12-2018, 5:46 AM

I use both Sparrow and Resurgent Arms ..with Resurgent Arms safety .the Resurgent grip is a little odd because of the 308 lower.. If you look at Resurgent Arms website they say a 308 spacer is coming out .. Hope the wait time will be nothing like the grips .. All in all both are fine if you don't want to use a grip wrap..
Old 07-12-2018, 8:19 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Our grip fits on LR308 or AR10 sized lower receivers, but not like what you might expecting or probably would hope for.

You can kind of wrap your thumb around but not really, because there is not enough room between the grip and the portion of the larger lower that curves back to the buffer tube. If we did make a grip specifically for the 308 to be able to wrap your thumb around, you wouldn’t be able to effectively reach the trigger or mag release because your hand would be much further back.

I don't know about Resurgent, but any spacer used with ours would probably lower the backstrap of the grip to the point of it being considered a pistol grip.

So, you still have the option to install our current grip and use the “cradle hold” with your thumb to the side (similar to how you hold a Monsterman grip). Our grip is much more comfortable with this style of hold than fin grips are. This is because more of your fingers can support the weight of the heavier rifle as opposed to all the weight being on your middle finger. If you are shooting bench or prone, this technique of not wrapping your thumb around the grip is often taught for more precision.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-12-2018, 8:30 AM

Magpul MIAD w/ Backfin works on my 80% Arms 308 lower just fine.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

AR-10's are pigs, so I'd recommend the Exile route. Opt for the newer Backfin with the palm swells for better ergos. It's the same price.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:47 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Vism vagparca $10 shipped done
Thanks I'll pass on the word.
Galil arm/ar/sar , Milled Sam7 , Yugo AK , & Sling loop version thumb grips available now
Old 07-13-2018, 12:50 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow Dynamics View Post
Our grip fits on LR308 or AR10 sized lower receivers, but not like what you might expecting or probably would hope for.

You can kind of wrap your thumb around but not really, because there is not enough room between the grip and the portion of the larger lower that curves back to the buffer tube. If we did make a grip specifically for the 308 to be able to wrap your thumb around, you wouldn’t be able to effectively reach the trigger or mag release because your hand would be much further back.

I don't know about Resurgent, but any spacer used with ours would probably lower the backstrap of the grip to the point of it being considered a pistol grip.

So, you still have the option to install our current grip and use the “cradle hold” with your thumb to the side (similar to how you hold a Monsterman grip). Our grip is much more comfortable with this style of hold than fin grips are. This is because more of your fingers can support the weight of the heavier rifle as opposed to all the weight being on your middle finger. If you are shooting bench or prone, this technique of not wrapping your thumb around the grip is often taught for more precision.

Hope that helps!
Thanks that does help a lot!
Old 07-13-2018, 12:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
AR-10's are pigs, so I'd recommend the Exile route. Opt for the newer Backfin with the palm swells for better ergos. It's the same price.
Thanks I was wondering about that fat exile back fin it looks like it fills your hand up for more grip. Have you tried a strike industries megafin on your AR10?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:07 AM

I also have a MIAD with Excile Backfin on my CMMG Mk3. I like it and it works well.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:42 AM

The Megafin is nice, but expensive ($40) and doesn't accommodate a standard ambi safety, unless you put the safety in the opposite way. The Vagparca works with a standard ambi safety used in the standard manner, has a closed compartment, and is $10. Megafin definitely looks nicer.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 PM

I put one of the Ledgegrips falcon on my 308 AR but I haven’t used it at the range yet. Worked alright on my AR15 at the range
https://www.bande3d.com/
Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comifornia:( View Post
Thanks I was wondering about that fat exile back fin it looks like it fills your hand up for more grip. Have you tried a strike industries megafin on your AR10?
The megafin is not comfortable even on an AR15. It's very generic and not as pronounced for one-handed manipulation like the Exile is.

The point of the Exile system is to easily swap to free-state version when you need to. Any other system requires swapping the grip out completely. Not too much of a big deal, but it's still easier.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:58 PM

I built an M5 with a strike mega fin. Sofar that and the Sparrow are all I use for my stuff. Anyway, keep in mind with the megafin (and maybe some other grips), there isn’t a second hole for the takedown pin detent spring, which on the M5 at least is near the safety detent hole. I ended up having to snip some length off of that spring and sort of pinch it between the fin grip and the receiver; otherwise it was too long and the takedown pin couldn’t be moved. Just something to keep in mind as you look at grips.
Old 07-14-2018, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo the Qualmed View Post
I built an M5 with a strike mega fin. Sofar that and the Sparrow are all I use for my stuff. Anyway, keep in mind with the megafin (and maybe some other grips), there isn’t a second hole for the takedown pin detent spring, which on the M5 at least is near the safety detent hole. I ended up having to snip some length off of that spring and sort of pinch it between the fin grip and the receiver; otherwise it was too long and the takedown pin couldn’t be moved. Just something to keep in mind as you look at grips.

Tap the receiver and install a set screw. I did this for all of my AR platforms.
Old 07-14-2018, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

I have a monsterman grip on mine. You can install a DFM and keep as is.
Old 07-14-2018, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Thordsen

https://www.thordsencustoms.com/frs-...i-rifle-stock/
Old 07-15-2018, 5:50 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

I have had a thordsen gen 2 on mine for literal years. The only way to go
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 07-15-2018, 8:47 PM

Can't I just kydex it with a molded thumb rest? I'm sure there's someone out there that makes it.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:53 PM

@yoshi having read your comment I just realized it came pre-tapped or just this purpose. And here I thought my shade tree method was innovative haha, thanks for pointing that one out for me
Old 07-16-2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpia is sarap!® View Post
Can't I just kydex it with a molded thumb rest? I'm sure there's someone out there that makes it.
As stated previously, the Exile system is best functionally and good bang for the buck especially for AR10 platforms IMO.

Kydex with molded thumbrest I have not seen on the market..
Old 07-16-2018, 8:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpia is sarap!® View Post
They are pretty easy to make yourself.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo the Qualmed View Post
@yoshi having read your comment I just realized it came pre-tapped or just this purpose. And here I thought my shade tree method was innovative haha, thanks for pointing that one out for me
No worries. Later Aeros were tapped and older versions weren't (mine wasn't). This tends to be a trend for billet receivers to have the TD detent at the grip area. My guess is to make changing out the buffer system easier, but who knows.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
The megafin is not comfortable even on an AR15. It's very generic and not as pronounced for one-handed manipulation like the Exile is.

The point of the Exile system is to easily swap to free-state version when you need to. Any other system requires swapping the grip out completely. Not too much of a big deal, but it's still easier.
I agree the Exile is a lot more comfortable than the megafin. I was just wondering if about the fitment of a megafin on a AR10 so I could pass on the word of what fits. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:20 AM

I use a generic grip wrap with a large ambi safety. Works ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 11:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I used a hammerheaad and ground finger grooves in it and had to fit it because disconnector pin. spring hole off tiny bit. Just installed last ergonomic hammerhead on last featureless ar I own. All mine ar featureless or fixed mag.

Last edited by edgerly779; 07-20-2018 at 11:29 AM..