Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 07-06-2018, 6:45 AM
r739's Avatar
r739 r739 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Merced county**
Posts: 335
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

iPhone 8
T-Mobile
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-06-2018, 12:12 PM
mach's Avatar
mach mach is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: FREE MOUNTAIN STATE
Posts: 345
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

iPhone 6s
__________________

-sic vis pacem para bellum
-qui audet adipiscitur
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-07-2018, 2:16 AM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pinko-occupied Commiefornia
Posts: 6,839
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
Generic flipper No need to waste money.
Do you swear by the Thomas Guide too?
__________________
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-10-2018, 9:35 AM
ssick92's Avatar
ssick92 ssick92 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 83
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Samsung Galaxy S8. I used to be the kind to upgrade phones as soon as the new ones were released, but this one does everything I am looking for and the S9 isn't much of an upgrade.
__________________
3%
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 AM
teflondog's Avatar
teflondog teflondog is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,353
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

My company phone is a Blackberry Keyone on AT&T. I've been a Blackberry user for the past 12 years and I've fallen in love with this phone. Switching from Blackberry OS to Android took some getting used to, but I don't miss BB10 anymore.

My personal phone is a Google Pixel 2 XL. I have a 2gb plan with T-Mobile for $50/month which is sufficient since I use my work phone the majority of the time. The camera on this phone is amazing. During the day, I don't even need to bring my DSLR with me anymore. I only bring it when I plan on shooting in low-light conditions.
__________________

Last edited by teflondog; 07-10-2018 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-10-2018, 3:45 PM
Oddball_One's Avatar
Oddball_One Oddball_One is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Butte County
Posts: 112
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Get a Pixel phone and Google fi service.
__________________
"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning."
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-10-2018, 4:49 PM
remusrm remusrm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 176
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

after my phone got shattered got a nokia 6.1 and was lagging and got so hot. I am with an iPhone SE 32Gb. I am tired of phone, but I am more tired of google and fb tracking so I will stick with iPhone until they decide to track even more!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:12 PM
bacon_lover's Avatar
bacon_lover bacon_lover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 780
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

I'm using an unlocked iPhone 7 Plus 256GB I picked up 1.5 years ago for $250. grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan.
__________________
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
- Alexis de Tocqueville
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-11-2018, 1:28 PM
Blade Gunner's Avatar
Blade Gunner Blade Gunner is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,302
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Alexander Graham Bell crank handle no dial autograph model.
__________________
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it all wrong.

Last edited by Blade Gunner; 07-11-2018 at 2:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-11-2018, 1:51 PM
gumby gumby is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Westminster, Orange County
Posts: 1,830
iTrader: 80 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Alexander Graham Bell crank handle no buttons autograph model.
You too:-)
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-11-2018, 1:53 PM
gumby gumby is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Westminster, Orange County
Posts: 1,830
iTrader: 80 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
My company phone is a Blackberry Keyone on AT&T. I've been a Blackberry user for the past 12 years and I've fallen in love with this phone. Switching from Blackberry OS to Android took some getting used to, but I don't miss BB10 anymore.

My personal phone is a Google Pixel 2 XL. I have a 2gb plan with T-Mobile for $50/month which is sufficient since I use my work phone the majority of the time. The camera on this phone is amazing. During the day, I don't even need to bring my DSLR with me anymore. I only bring it when I plan on shooting in low-light conditions.
Actually looking forward to the key2.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-12-2018, 3:34 AM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pinko-occupied Commiefornia
Posts: 6,839
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
after my phone got shattered got a nokia 6.1 and was lagging and got so hot. I am with an iPhone SE 32Gb. I am tired of phone, but I am more tired of google and fb tracking so I will stick with iPhone until they decide to track even more!
IF you didn't use your real name in your accounts such as iMessage, iTunes, and Applecare... ALL tied to your credit card charges for iCloud storage allowing tracking, AND if you didn't get ads specifically shown ONLY to Safari users you might have an argument on tracking.

You CAN however use a fake name with a Gmail account on an Android, and I do it daily. At least it's something over Apple devices... but they all track, and it seems most people using their credit cards for i-Services would get tracked even more... with their real name tied-in, as they are happy to pay for apps that have freely available equiv. Apps w/out a credit card tie-in on Androids.

Who's got the best tracking? I would guess the one w/your real name tied in via said credit card to all services they offer...
__________________
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds

Last edited by the86d; 07-12-2018 at 3:37 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-12-2018, 6:45 AM
ZombieLivesMatter's Avatar
ZombieLivesMatter ZombieLivesMatter is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,946
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Personal: OnePlus 5T (835 quad-core processor, 8GB RAM, 128GB storage, unbloated Oxygen OS, needed the fastest phone on the market for some apps)
Work: Samaung S8 (soon to be S9)
Wife uses iPhone8, it's reliable and simple.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgn02 View Post
G-shock, a good way to tell the time, and better way to tell the female variety you are unworthy mating material.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-12-2018, 7:58 AM
bacon_lover's Avatar
bacon_lover bacon_lover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 780
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
IF you didn't use your real name in your accounts such as iMessage, iTunes, and Applecare... ALL tied to your credit card charges for iCloud storage allowing tracking, AND if you didn't get ads specifically shown ONLY to Safari users you might have an argument on tracking.

You CAN however use a fake name with a Gmail account on an Android, and I do it daily. At least it's something over Apple devices... but they all track, and it seems most people using their credit cards for i-Services would get tracked even more... with their real name tied-in, as they are happy to pay for apps that have freely available equiv. Apps w/out a credit card tie-in on Androids.

Who's got the best tracking? I would guess the one w/your real name tied in via said credit card to all services they offer...
*sigh*
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204034
__________________
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
- Alexis de Tocqueville
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pinko-occupied Commiefornia
Posts: 6,839
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
Just Appleid, right? How many people you know do that?
"A payment method is also required to set up accounts for children. "
Since many apps on iPhruity devices have no free varient, the CC is really needed.

Tons more people use a fake name via Gmail accounts for their Androids...
__________________
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds

Last edited by the86d; 07-12-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-12-2018, 11:30 AM
bacon_lover's Avatar
bacon_lover bacon_lover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 780
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Just Appleid, right? How many people you know do that?
"A payment method is also required to set up accounts for children. "
Since many apps on iPhruity devices have no free varient, the CC is really needed.

Tons more people use a fake name via Gmail accounts for their Androids...
If you want to use a fake name for an AppleID account to access iTunes, iCloud, etc., knock yourself out; regardless, your initial assertion that you need a credit card is incorrect. And your claim that there aren't many free apps on the App Store is again incorrect: http://sourcebits.com/digital-innova...s-google-play/

Yes, a payment account is needed for children's accounts when included in a family sharing account. This is the same as with the Google Play Store https://support.google.com/googlepla.../7007852?hl=en

You don't like Apple... we get it. It's also clear that you have no idea how the Apple ecosystem works (remember your claim that you have to re-purchase the same app for each of the iOS devices you want to use it on?) At least base your rants on facts.
__________________
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
- Alexis de Tocqueville
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-13-2018, 3:30 AM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pinko-occupied Commiefornia
Posts: 6,839
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
...your claim that there aren't many free apps on the App Store is again incorrect: http://sourcebits.com/digital-innova...s-google-play/...
I never said iTunes didn't have many free apps. The useful ones I recommended to family members had free equivalents on Android, but pay-only were the only options on iPhtuity devices, when I looked on their devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
...It's also clear that you have no idea how the Apple ecosystem works (remember your claim that you have to re-purchase the same app for each of the iOS devices you want to use it on?) At least base your rants on facts.
"You need to pay the full price for the iPad specific app. Some applications have a universal binary where the one app is optimized for both the iPad and iphone/ipod. But most of the big applications are separate and require repurchasing them." - 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...r-ipad.888968/

"...Mac, the iPhone & the iPad versions. So I get hit up for $55 + tax ($39.99, 5.99 & 9.99) to upgrade all three with version 2!" - 2015
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7244046

Democrats started the KKK, and just because they don't support them now, doesn't mean they didn't start it.
Just because you don't have to... "now", doesn't mean you never had to, just a few years ago. Purchasing the apps separately for iPads and iPhone WAS, IN FACT a thing, even if you don't know it.
From your link:

A Die-hard iPhruity fan initially told me about the issues, and there are some quotes regarding said issue specifically.
__________________
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds

Last edited by the86d; 07-13-2018 at 4:29 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-13-2018, 8:57 AM
bacon_lover's Avatar
bacon_lover bacon_lover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 780
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I never said iTunes didn't have many free apps. The useful ones I recommended to family members had free equivalents on Android, but pay-only were the only options on iPhtuity devices, when I looked on their devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d
Since many apps on iPhruity devices have no free varient, the CC is really needed.
Then perhaps you should be more specific that you were referring to the particular apps you recommend, since you earlier claimed (incorrectly) that a credit card was needed to download apps from the App Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d
"You need to pay the full price for the iPad specific app. Some applications have a universal binary where the one app is optimized for both the iPad and iphone/ipod. But most of the big applications are separate and require repurchasing them." - 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...r-ipad.888968/
If you purchased the iPhone app, you can still download and use that on the iPad. Just because there is a separate iPad-optimized app version for sale, it does not mean that you are forced to purchase that one for the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d
Democrats started the KKK, and just because they don't support them now, doesn't mean they didn't start it.
Just because you don't have to... "now", doesn't mean you never had to, just a few years ago. Purchasing the apps separately for iPads and iPhone WAS, IN FACT a thing, even if you don't know it.
It was not quite the thing you're making it out to be. Again, apps purchased on the iPhone can be downloaded and used on the iPad. And even if it was exactly as you claimed, it does not accurately reflect modern day reality. So either you or whoever you're trying to sway would have to jump into a time-traveling Delorean and drive 88mph to when it was valid.

Passing off incorrect or outdated information does no one any good and only diminishes your credibility.
__________________
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
- Alexis de Tocqueville

Last edited by bacon_lover; 07-13-2018 at 9:16 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-14-2018, 4:22 AM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pinko-occupied Commiefornia
Posts: 6,839
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
Then perhaps you should be more specific that you were referring to the particular apps you recommend, since you earlier claimed (incorrectly) that a credit card was needed to download apps from the App Store.
Nice try, but that isn't even what I said. I mentioned that CCs are required for useful apps, as there are not free equivs. of everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
...you are forced to purchase that one for the iPad.
I never said this either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
Passing off incorrect or outdated information does no one any good and only diminishes your credibility.
I posted actual quotes regarding the exact issue I mentioned that you said didn't exist... are you a Holocaust denier too?
Try not to overreact and twist other peoples words around because you have too much free time.
Buy yourself a fleshlight, Son.
__________________
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds

Last edited by the86d; 07-14-2018 at 4:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-14-2018, 6:17 AM
bacon_lover's Avatar
bacon_lover bacon_lover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 780
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Nice try, but that isn't even what I said. I mentioned that CCs are required for useful apps, as there are not free equivs. of everything.
Nope, you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d
IF you didn't use your real name in your accounts such as iMessage, iTunes, and Applecare... ALL tied to your credit card charges for iCloud storage allowing tracking, AND if you didn't get ads specifically shown ONLY to Safari users you might have an argument on tracking.

You CAN however use a fake name with a Gmail account on an Android, and I do it daily. At least it's something over Apple devices... but they all track, and it seems most people using their credit cards for i-Services would get tracked even more... with their real name tied-in, as they are happy to pay for apps that have freely available equiv. Apps w/out a credit card tie-in on Androids.
No mention of "useful apps". You're trying to move the goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d
I never said this either.
I never said you did. I was a responding to the 8 year-old forum post that you used to back up your original post that apps purchased on an iPad have to be purchased again on another iOS device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d
I posted actual quotes regarding the exact issue I mentioned that you said didn't exist... are you a Holocaust denier too?
FACT: You can create an AppleID using a fake name and use Apple's free services (including downloading free apps from the App Store) without having to provide a credit card or other form of payment. Do you deny this?

FACT: An app purchased from the App Store can be downloaded to other iOS devices without having to re-purchase the app so long as you use the same AppleID. Do you deny this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d
Try not to overreact and twist other peoples words around because you have too much free time.
Buy yourself a fleshlight, Son.
Attacking the messenger when your arguments have been refuted and you aren't permitted to move the goalposts. SAD!
__________________
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
- Alexis de Tocqueville
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-14-2018, 7:27 AM
texas_law_dog's Avatar
texas_law_dog texas_law_dog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Google Pixel. Will upgrade to the Pixel 2 later this year. Much more of an Android fan than iPhone. That said, I've had some very bad Android phones. Motorola was better than LG and Samsung. Samsung Galaxy S4 (before the reported battery issues) got REALLY hot in pocket one night to the point it wasn't tolerable on my leg. I pulled it out and nearly burned my fingers. Dropped it immediately. Once the battery drained the phone cooled back down. Never happened again, but I have since vowed to never buy another Samsung product.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-14-2018, 8:04 AM
bacon_lover's Avatar
bacon_lover bacon_lover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 780
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
Google Pixel. Will upgrade to the Pixel 2 later this year. Much more of an Android fan than iPhone. That said, I've had some very bad Android phones. Motorola was better than LG and Samsung. Samsung Galaxy S4 (before the reported battery issues) got REALLY hot in pocket one night to the point it wasn't tolerable on my leg. I pulled it out and nearly burned my fingers. Dropped it immediately. Once the battery drained the phone cooled back down. Never happened again, but I have since vowed to never buy another Samsung product.
If I were to switch back to Android, I'd definitely go with the Pixel line. Never going back to Samsung... After about a year, my Galaxy S3's GPS stopped working and it had this annoying habit of locking up when executing a screen rotation. My Galaxy Tab S2 also started doing reboot loops after 1.5 years.
__________________
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
- Alexis de Tocqueville
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-14-2018, 8:07 AM
texas_law_dog's Avatar
texas_law_dog texas_law_dog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
If I were to switch back to Android, I'd definitely go with the Pixel line. Never going back to Samsung... After about a year, my Galaxy S3's GPS stopped working and it had this annoying habit of locking up when executing a screen rotation. My Galaxy Tab S2 also started doing reboot loops after 1.5 years.
It seems like Samsung is trying to push boundaries, which is great for the tech industry, but maybe they push too far at times?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-14-2018, 8:49 AM
bacon_lover's Avatar
bacon_lover bacon_lover is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 780
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
It seems like Samsung is trying to push boundaries, which is great for the tech industry, but maybe they push too far at times?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
IIRC, one of the issues with the Galaxy Note 7s bursting into flames was a design decision they made with the battery that did not adequately protect against thermal runaway. So pushing boundaries could be part of it. Then again, I have a Samsung fridge whose freezer died after 3 months and required 3 tech visits before it was replaced with a new unit. Add to that a Samsung recall for exploding washing machines, and I think Samsung quality control is just crap. Nice TVs though.

I trust LG way more than Samsung. I still use a LG G3 phone and my LG washer & dryer are still humming along after 10 years. Their OLED TVs are great too. Just purchased LG appliances for my house that's being built out in Texas.
__________________
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
- Alexis de Tocqueville

Last edited by bacon_lover; 07-14-2018 at 8:52 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-14-2018, 8:52 AM
texas_law_dog's Avatar
texas_law_dog texas_law_dog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
IIRC, one of the issues with the Galaxy Note 7s bursting into flames was a design decision they made with the battery that did not adequately protect against thermal runaway. So pushing boundaries could be part of it. Then again, I have a Samsung fridge whose freezer died after 3 months and required 3 tech visits before it was replace with a new unit. Add to that a Samsung recall for exploding washing machines, and I think Samsung quality control is just crap. Nice TVs though.

I trust LG way more than Samsung. I still use a LG G3 phone and my LG washer & dryer are still humming along after 10 years. Their OLED TVs are great too. Just purchased LG appliances for my house that's being built out in Texas.
I like LG in general. Didn't have the best luck with the one LG smartphone I've had but my LG chocolate from many years ago was fine. I'd take LG over Samsung any day. I'd switch to iPhone before I'd buy another Samsung.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-14-2018, 9:00 AM
Deedle Deedle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: America
Posts: 732
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

ZTE Axon 7:



It's an older model but I still like it.
__________________
"No personal computer will ever have gigabytes of RAM" - Scott Nudds
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-14-2018, 9:01 AM
Deedle Deedle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: America
Posts: 732
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
It seems like Samsung is trying to push boundaries, which is great for the tech industry, but maybe they push too far at times?
I don't like Samsung because they modify the stock Android experience too much. I prefer the standard UX but I can live with a slight nudge if the hardware value is compelling.
__________________
"No personal computer will ever have gigabytes of RAM" - Scott Nudds
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-14-2018, 9:01 AM
user120312 user120312 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coastal Oregon, formerly of California
Posts: 327
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I'd still be using my old Moto flip phone if not for having to hot-spot internet where I live now.

Bought a Moto Droid 64GB about four years ago in new release for a couple hundred subsidized and that's been my only smart phone.

Got a glass screen protector and Otterbox Defender case and it's been rock steady over four years of use in all conditions. Off-contract a couple years ago but have been with VZW for about 20 so no real matter there. No service/warranty/insurance contract.

I've been with Moto throughout my cellular use probably because I had confidence in their 2-way stuff from my previous experience in industry.

I'd say the biggest con in everyday use is screen brightness. The older OLED just doesn't do it in sun. Other than that, minor annoyance is Google messing with voice dialing and the newer software iterations not doing it as consistently as in the past IMO. Pros are long battery life, even after four years, and the variety and openness of the Android operating system. I run the phone lean, with a lot of stuff turned off or removed, and it works pretty good.

Still, that old Moto flip phone in the nightstand powers up and can find a tower. Never know. May go back to it someday.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-09-2018, 8:14 AM
Zorba's Avatar
Zorba Zorba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Monterey
Posts: 711
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I'm still annoyed that "they" turned off the old analog cell service, and my Panasonic bag phone with it! It had a real antenna, and would connect when no other would, and I never had to worry about battery life.

As for smartphones, you couldn't pay me enough to use one.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-09-2018, 5:32 PM
Dubious_Beans's Avatar
Dubious_Beans Dubious_Beans is offline
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 3,505
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

3 year old Moto G3 here. Nice and cheap so if I lose or break it I won't care too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
Generic flipper No need to waste money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I'll never have a smart fone - too big to be a fone, too small and limited to be a computer, expensive to acquire, expensive to feed. The prices I see in this thread prove it - no thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
As for smartphones, you couldn't pay me enough to use one.
Heh, that was the way I felt about it a few years ago. I don't need no steenking smart phone!

I'm not a very chatty person and don't spend much time on a phone, and for much of my life "mobile phone" meant a phone with a cord long enough to reach anywhere in the kitchen or living room.

Finally I broke down and bought a cheap flip phone, but rarely used it. Then the flip phone died and "against my better judgement" I bought the "smart" phone and I quickly learned to love it.
I don't make many calls, I rarely use it to text, almost never use it to web surf, and I've never played games on it.

But...

I do use the camera quite a lot. It's nice to have one always in my pocket.
And I have a variety of useful apps I have come to depend on to make my life easier.

I like having a tap & drill chart in my pocket.

I like having some electronics apps with pinouts for a wide variety of IC's, and for many kinds of connectors like USB ports and ethernet ports, computer power supply connectors, video and audio connectors, OBD connector, trailer connectors.. and much much much more. (I can never remember the wire color order for an ethernet connector without looking it up)

I also have apps with all kinds of electronics formulas cuz I can't remember them all

It's convenient to have a decent scientific calculator and some general math apps with useful formulas. I had to accurately calculate the volume of a truncated pyramid a few days ago. Hell, I don't remember the formula for that, but I've got this little computer with an app for that right here in my pocket...

I use the stopwatch and the timers quite a bit. (watering in the garden and need to move the hose in 20 minutes, or need to take that battery off the charger in 2 hours, that sort of thing)

I like having a "personal reminder" app to keep me from forgetting stuff. I'm going to see my friend John a week from next tuesday and want to take him a bag of oranges, so I queue up a reminder "Pick oranges for John" and set it to go off tuesday morning.

I like having a "notepad" app in my pocket to jot stuff down for future reference. (writing down the nameplate specs on that burned out motor, or making my grocery shopping list.

I've got a GPS app I use fairly often. I can always find my way back to the car after a long hike.

I always have a few books on my phone in case I need a good read while waiting in the Dr's office or wherever.

I recently got an app that has animated demonstrations on how to tie dozens of kinds of knots. I've always been terrible with tying knots, but I'll cut myself a 3' piece of nice rope and I can practice knots when I'm bored.

It can be a mirror, a magnifying glass, a bubble level, a ruler and lots of other handy stuff.

There's all kinds of good stuff a smart phone can do besides calling, texting, surfing... and it didn't take me long to decide it was pretty handy
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-10-2018, 4:43 PM
texas_law_dog's Avatar
texas_law_dog texas_law_dog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious_Beans View Post
3 year old Moto G3 here. Nice and cheap so if I lose or break it I won't care too much.
How does the battery hold up on a 3 year old phone? My experience is that 2 years, or possibly even 1.5 years, is the point when a battery becomes worthless.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-10-2018, 9:04 PM
Dubious_Beans's Avatar
Dubious_Beans Dubious_Beans is offline
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 3,505
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
How does the battery hold up on a 3 year old phone? My experience is that 2 years, or possibly even 1.5 years, is the point when a battery becomes worthless.
I usually charge it twice a week, when it gets down to about 30%.
Twice a week actually works out to 5 days + 2 days. I spend time at the animal shelter once a week and the camera is pretty much on continuously for a couple of hours when I'm there and that really sucks the battery down. I usually charge it the night before "shelter day" then again 2 days later then coast for 5 days to the next charge.

I've been wondering when the battery was gonna crap out for a while now, but honestly I can't tell much difference from when it was new.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-11-2018, 6:52 AM
texas_law_dog's Avatar
texas_law_dog texas_law_dog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious_Beans View Post
I usually charge it twice a week, when it gets down to about 30%.
Twice a week actually works out to 5 days + 2 days. I spend time at the animal shelter once a week and the camera is pretty much on continuously for a couple of hours when I'm there and that really sucks the battery down. I usually charge it the night before "shelter day" then again 2 days later then coast for 5 days to the next charge.

I've been wondering when the battery was gonna crap out for a while now, but honestly I can't tell much difference from when it was new.
So between searching for cell reception and keeping your camera on continuously you only have to charge twice a week? That's amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-11-2018, 8:25 AM
Dubious_Beans's Avatar
Dubious_Beans Dubious_Beans is offline
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 3,505
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
So between searching for cell reception and keeping your camera on continuously you only have to charge twice a week? That's amazing.
One of the things I learned early on, is to shut off the wifi, bluetooth, and cellular data when I'm not using it. If I leave that **** on all the time I have to charge twice as often. The transceiver for the wifi eats up loads of power and there's no point in letting it run when it's in my pocket. It only takes a finger poke to turn 'em on & off.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-11-2018, 3:20 PM
2ajunkie 2ajunkie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Communist CA
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

iPhone 7plus.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-11-2018, 3:22 PM
texas_law_dog's Avatar
texas_law_dog texas_law_dog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Anyone a year in on the Pixel 2? I'm about 3 months from a new phone and targeting that.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-11-2018, 8:48 PM
2ajunkie 2ajunkie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Communist CA
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I'm still annoyed that "they" turned off the old analog cell service, and my Panasonic bag phone with it! It had a real antenna, and would connect when no other would, and I never had to worry about battery life.

As for smartphones, you couldn't pay me enough to use one.
I bet you still have a black and white tv, vcr, typewriter, oh and why are you online again?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-12-2018, 1:33 AM
WoodTurner's Avatar
WoodTurner WoodTurner is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 68
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Essential PH-1
Bought it for $499 and love it. Best phone purchase since my note 2.
There only downside for me is a lack of a headphone jack.
Pros would be the build quality with titanium sides and ceramic back, stock Android, quick and consistent updates, battery life, and performance. Received the Android Pie update the same day as pixel phones and receive monthly security updates.

Would buy another essential phone without hesitation. Unfortunately, I don't think they are going to be making any new models. Early camera bugs in the firmware and lack of name recognition stopped a lot of people from buying this phone.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-17-2018, 5:07 PM
texas_law_dog's Avatar
texas_law_dog texas_law_dog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 710
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodTurner View Post
Essential PH-1
Is this available with all wireless providers?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-17-2018, 5:20 PM
WoodTurner's Avatar
WoodTurner WoodTurner is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 68
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
Is this available with all wireless providers?
It works on Verizon, ATT, TMobile, and Sprint. Not sure about other carriers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:58 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.