Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-06-2018, 6:45 AM

iPhone 8
T-Mobile
Old 07-06-2018, 12:12 PM

iPhone 6s

-sic vis pacem para bellum
-qui audet adipiscitur
Old 07-07-2018, 2:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
Generic flipper No need to waste money.
Do you swear by the Thomas Guide too?
Old 07-10-2018, 9:35 AM

Samsung Galaxy S8. I used to be the kind to upgrade phones as soon as the new ones were released, but this one does everything I am looking for and the S9 isn't much of an upgrade.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

My company phone is a Blackberry Keyone on AT&T. I've been a Blackberry user for the past 12 years and I've fallen in love with this phone. Switching from Blackberry OS to Android took some getting used to, but I don't miss BB10 anymore.

My personal phone is a Google Pixel 2 XL. I have a 2gb plan with T-Mobile for $50/month which is sufficient since I use my work phone the majority of the time. The camera on this phone is amazing. During the day, I don't even need to bring my DSLR with me anymore. I only bring it when I plan on shooting in low-light conditions.

Last edited by teflondog; 07-10-2018 at 10:33 AM..
Old 07-10-2018, 3:45 PM

Get a Pixel phone and Google fi service.
Old 07-10-2018, 4:49 PM

after my phone got shattered got a nokia 6.1 and was lagging and got so hot. I am with an iPhone SE 32Gb. I am tired of phone, but I am more tired of google and fb tracking so I will stick with iPhone until they decide to track even more!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:12 PM

I'm using an unlocked iPhone 7 Plus 256GB I picked up 1.5 years ago for $250. grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan.
Old 07-11-2018, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Alexander Graham Bell crank handle no dial autograph model.

Last edited by Blade Gunner; 07-11-2018 at 2:00 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Alexander Graham Bell crank handle no buttons autograph model.
You too:-)
Old 07-11-2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
My company phone is a Blackberry Keyone on AT&T. I've been a Blackberry user for the past 12 years and I've fallen in love with this phone. Switching from Blackberry OS to Android took some getting used to, but I don't miss BB10 anymore.

My personal phone is a Google Pixel 2 XL. I have a 2gb plan with T-Mobile for $50/month which is sufficient since I use my work phone the majority of the time. The camera on this phone is amazing. During the day, I don't even need to bring my DSLR with me anymore. I only bring it when I plan on shooting in low-light conditions.
Actually looking forward to the key2.
Old 07-12-2018, 3:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
after my phone got shattered got a nokia 6.1 and was lagging and got so hot. I am with an iPhone SE 32Gb. I am tired of phone, but I am more tired of google and fb tracking so I will stick with iPhone until they decide to track even more!
IF you didn't use your real name in your accounts such as iMessage, iTunes, and Applecare... ALL tied to your credit card charges for iCloud storage allowing tracking, AND if you didn't get ads specifically shown ONLY to Safari users you might have an argument on tracking.

You CAN however use a fake name with a Gmail account on an Android, and I do it daily. At least it's something over Apple devices... but they all track, and it seems most people using their credit cards for i-Services would get tracked even more... with their real name tied-in, as they are happy to pay for apps that have freely available equiv. Apps w/out a credit card tie-in on Androids.

Who's got the best tracking? I would guess the one w/your real name tied in via said credit card to all services they offer...

Last edited by the86d; 07-12-2018 at 3:37 AM..
Old 07-12-2018, 6:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Personal: OnePlus 5T (835 quad-core processor, 8GB RAM, 128GB storage, unbloated Oxygen OS, needed the fastest phone on the market for some apps)
Work: Samaung S8 (soon to be S9)
Wife uses iPhone8, it's reliable and simple.

Old 07-12-2018, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
IF you didn't use your real name in your accounts such as iMessage, iTunes, and Applecare... ALL tied to your credit card charges for iCloud storage allowing tracking, AND if you didn't get ads specifically shown ONLY to Safari users you might have an argument on tracking.

You CAN however use a fake name with a Gmail account on an Android, and I do it daily. At least it's something over Apple devices... but they all track, and it seems most people using their credit cards for i-Services would get tracked even more... with their real name tied-in, as they are happy to pay for apps that have freely available equiv. Apps w/out a credit card tie-in on Androids.

Who's got the best tracking? I would guess the one w/your real name tied in via said credit card to all services they offer...
*sigh*
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204034
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_lover View Post
Just Appleid, right? How many people you know do that?
"A payment method is also required to set up accounts for children. "
Since many apps on iPhruity devices have no free varient, the CC is really needed.

Tons more people use a fake name via Gmail accounts for their Androids...

Last edited by the86d; 07-12-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Just Appleid, right? How many people you know do that?
"A payment method is also required to set up accounts for children. "
Since many apps on iPhruity devices have no free varient, the CC is really needed.

Tons more people use a fake name via Gmail accounts for their Androids...
If you want to use a fake name for an AppleID account to access iTunes, iCloud, etc., knock yourself out; regardless, your initial assertion that you need a credit card is incorrect. And your claim that there aren't many free apps on the App Store is again incorrect: http://sourcebits.com/digital-innova...s-google-play/

Yes, a payment account is needed for children's accounts when included in a family sharing account. This is the same as with the Google Play Store https://support.google.com/googlepla.../7007852?hl=en

You don't like Apple... we get it. It's also clear that you have no idea how the Apple ecosystem works (remember your claim that you have to re-purchase the same app for each of the iOS devices you want to use it on?) At least base your rants on facts.
Old 07-13-2018, 3:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...your claim that there aren't many free apps on the App Store is again incorrect: http://sourcebits.com/digital-innova...s-google-play/...
I never said iTunes didn't have many free apps. The useful ones I recommended to family members had free equivalents on Android, but pay-only were the only options on iPhtuity devices, when I looked on their devices.

Quote:
...It's also clear that you have no idea how the Apple ecosystem works (remember your claim that you have to re-purchase the same app for each of the iOS devices you want to use it on?) At least base your rants on facts.
"You need to pay the full price for the iPad specific app. Some applications have a universal binary where the one app is optimized for both the iPad and iphone/ipod. But most of the big applications are separate and require repurchasing them." - 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...r-ipad.888968/

"...Mac, the iPhone & the iPad versions. So I get hit up for $55 + tax ($39.99, 5.99 & 9.99) to upgrade all three with version 2!" - 2015
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7244046

Democrats started the KKK, and just because they don't support them now, doesn't mean they didn't start it.
Just because you don't have to... "now", doesn't mean you never had to, just a few years ago. Purchasing the apps separately for iPads and iPhone WAS, IN FACT a thing, even if you don't know it.
From your link:

A Die-hard iPhruity fan initially told me about the issues, and there are some quotes regarding said issue specifically.

Last edited by the86d; 07-13-2018 at 4:29 AM..
Old 07-13-2018, 8:57 AM

Quote:
I never said iTunes didn't have many free apps. The useful ones I recommended to family members had free equivalents on Android, but pay-only were the only options on iPhtuity devices, when I looked on their devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d
Then perhaps you should be more specific that you were referring to the particular apps you recommend, since you earlier claimed (incorrectly) that a credit card was needed to download apps from the App Store.

Quote:
"You need to pay the full price for the iPad specific app. Some applications have a universal binary where the one app is optimized for both the iPad and iphone/ipod. But most of the big applications are separate and require repurchasing them." - 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...r-ipad.888968/
If you purchased the iPhone app, you can still download and use that on the iPad. Just because there is a separate iPad-optimized app version for sale, it does not mean that you are forced to purchase that one for the iPad.

Quote:
Democrats started the KKK, and just because they don't support them now, doesn't mean they didn't start it.
Just because you don't have to... "now", doesn't mean you never had to, just a few years ago. Purchasing the apps separately for iPads and iPhone WAS, IN FACT a thing, even if you don't know it.
It was not quite the thing you're making it out to be. Again, apps purchased on the iPhone can be downloaded and used on the iPad. And even if it was exactly as you claimed, it does not accurately reflect modern day reality. So either you or whoever you're trying to sway would have to jump into a time-traveling Delorean and drive 88mph to when it was valid.

Passing off incorrect or outdated information does no one any good and only diminishes your credibility.

Last edited by bacon_lover; 07-13-2018 at 9:16 AM..
Old 07-14-2018, 4:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Then perhaps you should be more specific that you were referring to the particular apps you recommend, since you earlier claimed (incorrectly) that a credit card was needed to download apps from the App Store.
Nice try, but that isn't even what I said. I mentioned that CCs are required for useful apps, as there are not free equivs. of everything.
Quote:
...you are forced to purchase that one for the iPad.
I never said this either.
Quote:
Passing off incorrect or outdated information does no one any good and only diminishes your credibility.
I posted actual quotes regarding the exact issue I mentioned that you said didn't exist... are you a Holocaust denier too?
Try not to overreact and twist other peoples words around because you have too much free time.
Buy yourself a fleshlight, Son.

Last edited by the86d; 07-14-2018 at 4:55 AM..
Old 07-14-2018, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Nice try, but that isn't even what I said. I mentioned that CCs are required for useful apps, as there are not free equivs. of everything.
Nope, you said:
Quote:

No mention of "useful apps". You're trying to move the goalposts

Quote:
I never said this either.
I never said you did. I was a responding to the 8 year-old forum post that you used to back up your original post that apps purchased on an iPad have to be purchased again on another iOS device.

Quote:
I posted actual quotes regarding the exact issue I mentioned that you said didn't exist... are you a Holocaust denier too?
FACT: You can create an AppleID using a fake name and use Apple's free services (including downloading free apps from the App Store) without having to provide a credit card or other form of payment. Do you deny this?

FACT: An app purchased from the App Store can be downloaded to other iOS devices without having to re-purchase the app so long as you use the same AppleID. Do you deny this?

Quote:
Try not to overreact and twist other peoples words around because you have too much free time.
Buy yourself a fleshlight, Son.
Attacking the messenger when your arguments have been refuted and you aren't permitted to move the goalposts. SAD!
Old 07-14-2018, 7:27 AM

Google Pixel. Will upgrade to the Pixel 2 later this year. Much more of an Android fan than iPhone. That said, I've had some very bad Android phones. Motorola was better than LG and Samsung. Samsung Galaxy S4 (before the reported battery issues) got REALLY hot in pocket one night to the point it wasn't tolerable on my leg. I pulled it out and nearly burned my fingers. Dropped it immediately. Once the battery drained the phone cooled back down. Never happened again, but I have since vowed to never buy another Samsung product.
Old 07-14-2018, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_law_dog View Post
Google Pixel. Will upgrade to the Pixel 2 later this year. Much more of an Android fan than iPhone. That said, I've had some very bad Android phones. Motorola was better than LG and Samsung. Samsung Galaxy S4 (before the reported battery issues) got REALLY hot in pocket one night to the point it wasn't tolerable on my leg. I pulled it out and nearly burned my fingers. Dropped it immediately. Once the battery drained the phone cooled back down. Never happened again, but I have since vowed to never buy another Samsung product.
If I were to switch back to Android, I'd definitely go with the Pixel line. Never going back to Samsung... After about a year, my Galaxy S3's GPS stopped working and it had this annoying habit of locking up when executing a screen rotation. My Galaxy Tab S2 also started doing reboot loops after 1.5 years.
Old 07-14-2018, 8:07 AM

Quote:
If I were to switch back to Android, I'd definitely go with the Pixel line. Never going back to Samsung... After about a year, my Galaxy S3's GPS stopped working and it had this annoying habit of locking up when executing a screen rotation. My Galaxy Tab S2 also started doing reboot loops after 1.5 years.
It seems like Samsung is trying to push boundaries, which is great for the tech industry, but maybe they push too far at times?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 8:49 AM

Quote:
It seems like Samsung is trying to push boundaries, which is great for the tech industry, but maybe they push too far at times?

IIRC, one of the issues with the Galaxy Note 7s bursting into flames was a design decision they made with the battery that did not adequately protect against thermal runaway. So pushing boundaries could be part of it. Then again, I have a Samsung fridge whose freezer died after 3 months and required 3 tech visits before it was replaced with a new unit. Add to that a Samsung recall for exploding washing machines, and I think Samsung quality control is just crap. Nice TVs though.

I trust LG way more than Samsung. I still use a LG G3 phone and my LG washer & dryer are still humming along after 10 years. Their OLED TVs are great too. Just purchased LG appliances for my house that's being built out in Texas.

Last edited by bacon_lover; 07-14-2018 at 8:52 AM..
Old 07-14-2018, 8:52 AM

Quote:
IIRC, one of the issues with the Galaxy Note 7s bursting into flames was a design decision they made with the battery that did not adequately protect against thermal runaway. So pushing boundaries could be part of it. Then again, I have a Samsung fridge whose freezer died after 3 months and required 3 tech visits before it was replace with a new unit. Add to that a Samsung recall for exploding washing machines, and I think Samsung quality control is just crap. Nice TVs though.

I trust LG way more than Samsung. I still use a LG G3 phone and my LG washer & dryer are still humming along after 10 years. Their OLED TVs are great too. Just purchased LG appliances for my house that's being built out in Texas.
I like LG in general. Didn't have the best luck with the one LG smartphone I've had but my LG chocolate from many years ago was fine. I'd take LG over Samsung any day. I'd switch to iPhone before I'd buy another Samsung.

Old 07-14-2018, 9:00 AM

ZTE Axon 7:

It's an older model but I still like it.
Old 07-14-2018, 9:01 AM

Quote:
I don't like Samsung because they modify the stock Android experience too much. I prefer the standard UX but I can live with a slight nudge if the hardware value is compelling.
Old 07-14-2018, 9:01 AM

I'd still be using my old Moto flip phone if not for having to hot-spot internet where I live now.

Bought a Moto Droid 64GB about four years ago in new release for a couple hundred subsidized and that's been my only smart phone.

Got a glass screen protector and Otterbox Defender case and it's been rock steady over four years of use in all conditions. Off-contract a couple years ago but have been with VZW for about 20 so no real matter there. No service/warranty/insurance contract.

I've been with Moto throughout my cellular use probably because I had confidence in their 2-way stuff from my previous experience in industry.

I'd say the biggest con in everyday use is screen brightness. The older OLED just doesn't do it in sun. Other than that, minor annoyance is Google messing with voice dialing and the newer software iterations not doing it as consistently as in the past IMO. Pros are long battery life, even after four years, and the variety and openness of the Android operating system. I run the phone lean, with a lot of stuff turned off or removed, and it works pretty good.

Still, that old Moto flip phone in the nightstand powers up and can find a tower. Never know. May go back to it someday.
Old 08-09-2018, 8:14 AM

I'm still annoyed that "they" turned off the old analog cell service, and my Panasonic bag phone with it! It had a real antenna, and would connect when no other would, and I never had to worry about battery life.

As for smartphones, you couldn't pay me enough to use one.
Old 08-09-2018, 5:32 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

3 year old Moto G3 here. Nice and cheap so if I lose or break it I won't care too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy's View Post
Generic flipper No need to waste money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I'll never have a smart fone - too big to be a fone, too small and limited to be a computer, expensive to acquire, expensive to feed. The prices I see in this thread prove it - no thank you.
Quote:
Heh, that was the way I felt about it a few years ago. I don't need no steenking smart phone!

I'm not a very chatty person and don't spend much time on a phone, and for much of my life "mobile phone" meant a phone with a cord long enough to reach anywhere in the kitchen or living room.

Finally I broke down and bought a cheap flip phone, but rarely used it. Then the flip phone died and "against my better judgement" I bought the "smart" phone and I quickly learned to love it.
I don't make many calls, I rarely use it to text, almost never use it to web surf, and I've never played games on it.

But...

I do use the camera quite a lot. It's nice to have one always in my pocket.
And I have a variety of useful apps I have come to depend on to make my life easier.

I like having a tap & drill chart in my pocket.

I like having some electronics apps with pinouts for a wide variety of IC's, and for many kinds of connectors like USB ports and ethernet ports, computer power supply connectors, video and audio connectors, OBD connector, trailer connectors.. and much much much more. (I can never remember the wire color order for an ethernet connector without looking it up)

I also have apps with all kinds of electronics formulas cuz I can't remember them all

It's convenient to have a decent scientific calculator and some general math apps with useful formulas. I had to accurately calculate the volume of a truncated pyramid a few days ago. Hell, I don't remember the formula for that, but I've got this little computer with an app for that right here in my pocket...

I use the stopwatch and the timers quite a bit. (watering in the garden and need to move the hose in 20 minutes, or need to take that battery off the charger in 2 hours, that sort of thing)

I like having a "personal reminder" app to keep me from forgetting stuff. I'm going to see my friend John a week from next tuesday and want to take him a bag of oranges, so I queue up a reminder "Pick oranges for John" and set it to go off tuesday morning.

I like having a "notepad" app in my pocket to jot stuff down for future reference. (writing down the nameplate specs on that burned out motor, or making my grocery shopping list.

I've got a GPS app I use fairly often. I can always find my way back to the car after a long hike.

I always have a few books on my phone in case I need a good read while waiting in the Dr's office or wherever.

I recently got an app that has animated demonstrations on how to tie dozens of kinds of knots. I've always been terrible with tying knots, but I'll cut myself a 3' piece of nice rope and I can practice knots when I'm bored.

It can be a mirror, a magnifying glass, a bubble level, a ruler and lots of other handy stuff.

There's all kinds of good stuff a smart phone can do besides calling, texting, surfing... and it didn't take me long to decide it was pretty handy
Old 08-10-2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious_Beans View Post
3 year old Moto G3 here. Nice and cheap so if I lose or break it I won't care too much.
How does the battery hold up on a 3 year old phone? My experience is that 2 years, or possibly even 1.5 years, is the point when a battery becomes worthless.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:04 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Quote:
How does the battery hold up on a 3 year old phone? My experience is that 2 years, or possibly even 1.5 years, is the point when a battery becomes worthless.
I usually charge it twice a week, when it gets down to about 30%.
Twice a week actually works out to 5 days + 2 days. I spend time at the animal shelter once a week and the camera is pretty much on continuously for a couple of hours when I'm there and that really sucks the battery down. I usually charge it the night before "shelter day" then again 2 days later then coast for 5 days to the next charge.

I've been wondering when the battery was gonna crap out for a while now, but honestly I can't tell much difference from when it was new.
Old 08-11-2018, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious_Beans View Post
I usually charge it twice a week, when it gets down to about 30%.
Twice a week actually works out to 5 days + 2 days. I spend time at the animal shelter once a week and the camera is pretty much on continuously for a couple of hours when I'm there and that really sucks the battery down. I usually charge it the night before "shelter day" then again 2 days later then coast for 5 days to the next charge.

I've been wondering when the battery was gonna crap out for a while now, but honestly I can't tell much difference from when it was new.
So between searching for cell reception and keeping your camera on continuously you only have to charge twice a week? That's amazing.
Old 08-11-2018, 8:25 AM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So between searching for cell reception and keeping your camera on continuously you only have to charge twice a week? That's amazing.
One of the things I learned early on, is to shut off the wifi, bluetooth, and cellular data when I'm not using it. If I leave that **** on all the time I have to charge twice as often. The transceiver for the wifi eats up loads of power and there's no point in letting it run when it's in my pocket. It only takes a finger poke to turn 'em on & off.
Old 08-11-2018, 3:20 PM

iPhone 7plus.
Old 08-11-2018, 3:22 PM

Anyone a year in on the Pixel 2? I'm about 3 months from a new phone and targeting that.
Old 08-11-2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
I'm still annoyed that "they" turned off the old analog cell service, and my Panasonic bag phone with it! It had a real antenna, and would connect when no other would, and I never had to worry about battery life.

I bet you still have a black and white tv, vcr, typewriter, oh and why are you online again?
Old 08-12-2018, 1:33 AM

Essential PH-1
Bought it for $499 and love it. Best phone purchase since my note 2.
There only downside for me is a lack of a headphone jack.
Pros would be the build quality with titanium sides and ceramic back, stock Android, quick and consistent updates, battery life, and performance. Received the Android Pie update the same day as pixel phones and receive monthly security updates.

Would buy another essential phone without hesitation. Unfortunately, I don't think they are going to be making any new models. Early camera bugs in the firmware and lack of name recognition stopped a lot of people from buying this phone.
Old 08-17-2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodTurner View Post
Essential PH-1
Is this available with all wireless providers?
Old 08-17-2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Is this available with all wireless providers?
It works on Verizon, ATT, TMobile, and Sprint. Not sure about other carriers.