Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Color Anodizers in the Bay Area?

Can anyone recommend a professional anodizer that will do either completed or uncompleted 80% lowers in the East/South Bay Area?

Arnold Metal Finishing in San Jose will no longer do them (they no longer have an FFL, and won't do 80%s either).

Electro Plating Specialties in Hayward won't do them.
A&E in San Jose won't do them.
Four-D in San Jose won't do them (said they're trying to get an FFL, but no go until then)
Livermore Anodizing won't do them.

BATFE has all these shops too sketched out to even do 80%s.

Pete Swanson (who I saw referenced in my searches) moved to Oregon.

Global Plating in Fremont will do them (either 80% or finished), but they're $85 for one (anyone want to go in on a blue batch?)

Just trying to see if there are any other options out there.
Old 12-15-2017, 6:21 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code ยง 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale's Dead Bug View Post
Can anyone recommend a professional anodizer that will do either completed or uncompleted 80% lowers in the East/South Bay Area?

Arnold Metal Finishing in San Jose will no longer do them (they no longer have an FFL, and won't do 80%s either).

Electro Plating Specialties in Hayward won't do them.
A&E in San Jose won't do them.
Four-D in San Jose won't do them (said they're trying to get an FFL, but no go until then)
Livermore Anodizing won't do them.

BATFE has all these shops too sketched out to even do 80%s.

Pete Swanson (who I saw referenced in my searches) moved to Oregon.

Global Plating in Fremont will do them (either 80% or finished), but they're $85 for one (anyone want to go in on a blue batch?)

Just trying to see if there are any other options out there.
I've been trying to find someone to do some high-speed color anodizing for a few 100%s for awhile, and have struck out on options as you mentioned.
I've even been waiting on Victor from USA Anodizing to get a lull in between contracts so I could ship him mine.

I'm interested in going in with you for Blue! (i'm thinking a Blue, a Red, and maybe a purple or electric green!

-------
Old 12-15-2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
I've been trying to find someone to do some high-speed color anodizing for a few 100%s for awhile, and have struck out on options as you mentioned.
I've even been waiting on Victor from USA Anodizing to get a lull in between contracts so I could ship him mine.

I'm interested in going in with you for Blue! (i'm thinking a Blue, a Red, and maybe a purple or electric green!
Looks like US Anodizing is on the east coast. I guess it might not be that big a deal, but out of curiosity, would they have to ship it back to an FFL for pickup (and is there any legal issue with shipping it out)?

I'll try to give Global Plating a ring back on Monday and see what kind of discount we'd get for two (and maybe any further discount for a few other singles), but I will say at these prices I'm looking harder at doing it myself at home (sounds like all the supplies to do it would be under $30-40 if I do it myself, since I already have access to power supplies). As a first-time rifle owner/builder on a budget, the parts and tools have been adding up. If I do go that route I can probably kick down the supplies and lend out the power supply if you're interested.

P.S. Mele Kalikimaka!

Last edited by Dale's Dead Bug; 12-15-2017 at 8:31 PM..
Old 12-27-2017, 12:47 AM

A couple of years ago I was surfing you tube videos and came across videos showing how to anodize your own stuff. I remember thinking how easy it was. I am probably over stating but seemed to use a couple of 5 gallon white buckets and few chemicals. I was impressed at the range of colors you can do.
I just took another look at you tube. Dozens of videos. Her is one link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-lfHN23Iv4