Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-12-2018, 9:15 AM

Default FFL 03 application questions for Orange Co.

Hello. I am filling out my application. I had a couple quick questions:

1. CLEO - should I use Sandra Hutchens? Does anyone know the address? There are a couple dozen on the OCSD web page.

2. As a collector, do you still need a log book if you are only going to buy ammo?

3. Should I wait to have the livescan done? There is no reason why I would be denied the FFL03.

4. I had a livescan done when I got my CCW 1.5 years ago. Could that count for the FFL03?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2018, 9:20 AM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcjackrabbit View Post

1. CLEO - should I use Sandra Hutchens? Does anyone know the address? There are a couple dozen on the OCSD web page.

2. As a collector, do you still need a log book if you are only going to buy ammo?

3. Should I wait to have the livescan done? There is no reason why I would be denied the FFL03.

4. I had a livescan done when I got my CCW 1.5 years ago. Could that count for the FFL03?

Thanks.

Any time you need a Livescan it has to be a new one.

No need to wait for the FFL03 to do Livescan. COE is State, FFL03 is Fed ATF. They don't talk to each other about your applications.

I've never heard of ATF wanting to see you empty Bound Log Book.

If you're dithering over which Sheriff address to use, you're over thinking this. Just pick one. They don't care.
California Rifle and Pistol Association - http://crpa.org/membership/
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org.../SIIB/CCW.aspx
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 01-12-2018, 11:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs down

Quote:

You can use either...I'd guess that most LE agencies file them in the round file.

Why would you if you're not buying and / or selling C&R firearms?

Did you read the instructions on the C&R license application? Hint...it says nothing about Live Scan.

See #3 above/

Thanks.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 01-12-2018, 12:17 PM

When you get your packet from the ATF with a copy of the C&R laws and instructions, They also include a small log book. So if you ever decide to buy a C&R gun you could use that. Otherwise, no need to buy a book.

As an FYI, the packet with all the info may be mailed separately from your C&R license. Mine came separately and over a month later.

Last edited by boopiejones; 01-12-2018 at 12:19 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
When you get your packet from the ATF with a copy of the C&R laws and instructions, They also include a small log book. So if you ever decide to buy a C&R gun you could use that. Otherwise, no need to buy a book.

As an FYI, the packet with all the info may be mailed separately from your C&R license. Mine came separately and over a month later.
How quickly did your FFL 03 license arrive? I submitted mine about 3 weeks ago and my COE approval came through within days, but I have yet to hear from ATF. Having said that, they did charge my CC the fee less than a week later so I know they received the application.

Website says can take up to 60 days so I'm just curious.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvshooter View Post
How quickly did your FFL 03 license arrive? I submitted mine about 3 weeks ago and my COE approval came through within days, but I have yet to hear from ATF. Having said that, they did charge my CC the fee less than a week later so I know they received the application.

Website says can take up to 60 days so I'm just curious.

Thanks
What I heard is 60-90 days, so I'm waiting as well ...
Old 01-12-2018, 3:51 PM

I heard that they don’t charge your card until you are approved. So you should be good to go, and now it’s just a matter of waiting. As I recall, my COE took about 60 days to arrive and my FFL was closer to 90 days.
Old 01-12-2018, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

If you live in a city it should be the police chief, not the sheriff.
Old 01-12-2018, 4:55 PM

COE was about 2 weeks.
03 submitted 12/10 and received today 1/12
Old 01-12-2018, 5:31 PM

Hanko, you need the COE + the FFL03 to buy ammo. I never said the COE was part of the FFL03. So, keep your ignorant insults to yourself.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketrob View Post
COE was about 2 weeks.
03 submitted 12/10 and received today 1/12
So about a month...hopefully mine is closer to 30 rather than 60 days. They probably got a flood of 03 FFL requests from CA in December.
Old 01-14-2018, 1:34 PM

This is all nothing more than my speculation, but . . .

Prior to the new ammo law effective date getting closer, most online reports seemed to indicate the FFL03 in a month and a half give or take; and the CoE taking a couple or three of months, give or take.

I applied for both back in late July last year. My FFL03 came pretty quickly -- I speculated that they run license issuances in batches and I got lucky (but just speculation). My CoE came in a week or so less than 2 months.

As 2017 wound down, there were lots of reports of CoEs coming back very, very quickly. Again just my speculation, but I suspect the need to issue CoEs to ammo vendor employees (think Walmart clerks) beefed up the resources devoted to processing CoEs.

You can check out this thread for some history on timing prior to the ammo law panic: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1293931
Old 01-18-2018, 9:33 AM

So I emailed the ATF and inquired about the status of my FFL 03 and they got back to me within 24 hours. It was approved and mailed to me on 1/13/18. I have yet to receive it, but it should arrive any day.

Impressed how easy/quickly everything was from start to finish. Only hiccup was when I went for Live Scan and my application didn't have the info already populated. However, I called CA DOJ and a real person answered and emailed me the info right away. Was able to get all this done in about 5 minutes while waiting at a UPS Store.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
So I emailed the ATF and inquired about the status of my FFL 03 and they got back to me within 24 hours. It was approved and mailed to me on 1/13/18. I have yet to receive it, but it should arrive any day.

Impressed how easy/quickly everything was from start to finish. Only hiccup was when I went for Live Scan and my application didn't have the info already populated. However, I called CA DOJ and a real person answered and emailed me the info right away. Was able to get all this done in about 5 minutes while waiting at a UPS Store.
May I ask which ATF e-mail to inquire the 03ffl status? When did you mail your 03ffl app out? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:10 AM

Final update. Received my FFL 03 license Tuesday.

I hoarded a bunch of ammo last few months of 2017 so I probably won't need to buy any for a while, but might buy a case from a couple online vendors to see how it works out.
Old 01-27-2018, 5:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Don't you dig the name it says on your bank account when the charge hit?
I was checking my bank account a week or so ago and see this mysterious $30 charge that I could not figure out what it was for.
Took me a few minutes to realize what it was.
It was only about a week after I mailed the application in...