Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShot View Post
Correct, here is what they sent me.

"Thank you for submitting your application. The caliber stamp is not visible on your firearm. The caliber may be stamped on the barrel of your firearm. Please upload a photo of the barrel stamp using the "optional extra image" option. Update your application, if needed, to reflect the correct caliber. Refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5474 (c) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/regs/text-adopted-regulations-bullet-button.pdf"

After I sent them the photo then they sent me this.

"Also, based on the information provided, the caliber for this firearm is stamped as .308 Winchester. Please change the caliber listed on your application to ".308 Winchester." Refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5474(b) for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/regs/text-adopted-regulations-bullet-button.pdf"

Is your lower marked “multi,” or is there no caliber marking at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-08-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfreshdope View Post

CMMG .308 lowers have no caliber markings at all.
Old 01-08-2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovahkiin View Post
CA DOJ just denied my non resident bullet button registration. I was a former CA resident from 2013 - 2016 with a legal bullet button rifle in my possession and registered firearms. CA DOJ's initial delay in having the website up and running for registration harmed me as I had to move due to job reasons and was unable to register within the initial timeframe. I would have been able to register fine if it wasn't for the delay. I ended up discussing my case with a lawyer and we both discovered that there were no resident requirements on the passed legislation. We drafted a letter together and attempted a registration by mail. CA DOJ just refused registration so we're exploring the next steps.

Pic of the denial letter:
https://i.imgur.com/wvbjGBg.jpg
Is the weapon still in cali?
If not, then you cant bring it in.

if it is, are you paying for a storage unit?
I think you might be able to make a case that the storage unit means your renting, and you only left for work and have every intention of returning.

"personal security, personal liberty, and private property"--could not be maintained solely by law, for "in vain would these rights be declared, ascertained, and protected by the dead letter of the laws, if the constitution had provided no other method to secure their actual enjoyment." -
William Blackstone
Old 01-08-2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
CMMG .308 lowers have no caliber markings at all.
No markings at all other than model and serial number.
Old 01-08-2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixEstrella View Post
I started registering 14 rifles on 12/10/17 and got my final "confirmation notice" on 12/21/17. Since a background check must be run and "paperwork generated" I don't expect anything for 2-4 weeks. My understanding is that you'll receive a letter in snail mail.
Got approval letters for 10 of the 14 rifles I registered today. So, less than 4 weeks from start to finish.
Old 01-08-2018, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Just a heads up, in my communication with the DOJ trying to get them to accept my Pistol with my own serial number, this was their last reply to me:

DOJ Response (01/05/2018 09:33 AM): Mr. Stevens, as previously stated, according to the CA Code of Regulations, Title 11, section 5472 (g) "the Department will not register an assault weapon a FMBUS if the firearm does not have a serial number assigned by the Department and applied by the owner or agent." The DOJ will authorize a serial number and you must have the number engraved and application submitted before June 30, 2018. If you have any other discrepancies you may seek legal advice.

Now obviously I have sought legal advice, and I told the DOJ that the law saws otherwise and that Law trumps regulation. But this shows that they seem to expect all registrations to be in and complete prior to July 1st. and will not accept any fixes to applications after June 30th
Old 01-09-2018, 2:12 PM

I have a rail-mounted forward pistol grip. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to including it on the application and photos? Thanks for any feedback!

P.S. I asked this question in another related thread but received no responses so I'm posting here. My apologies for any redundancy!

Last edited by maveric; 01-09-2018 at 2:30 PM..
Old 01-09-2018, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maveric View Post
I have a rail-mounted forward grip. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to including it on the application and photos? Thanks for any feedback!

P.S. I asked this question in another related thread but received no responses so I'm posting here. My apologies for any redundancy!
I'd say disadvantage, in that there's more opportunity for questions and kickbacks.
Old 01-09-2018, 2:30 PM

Question

Quote:
I'd say disadvantage, in that there's more opportunity for questions and kickbacks.
Thanks for the response. Assuming either configuration is approved, there's really no difference after approval, correct? In other words, if approved without a forward grip it would still be legal to add a forward pistol grip later, correct? Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2018, 2:31 PM

Most applications seem to be processed within a few weeks time - I've had two pending apps since 11/27 with no update. Anyone else experiencing similar wait time?
Old 01-09-2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
I have a rail-mounted forward grip. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to including it on the application and photos? Thanks for any feedback!

I have a different opinion.

I left everything on my guns. That way, everything was "approved by the DOJ" when I registered it.

And those photos are on file with the DOJ (and probably viewable by Law Enforcement).

Quote:
Assuming either configuration is approved, there's really no difference after approval, correct? In other words, if approved without a forward grip it would still be legal to add a forward pistol grip later, correct? Thanks again!
Correct, but see above.
Old 01-09-2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Assuming either configuration is approved, there's really no difference after approval, correct? In other words, if approved without a forward grip it would still be legal to add a forward pistol grip later, correct? Thanks again!
Indeed. Case in point, DOJ's FAQ explicitly says that after registration the only things you *CANNOT* do is remove the BB or reduce OAL to less than 26". One can assume therefore that all other modifications are kosher and unrestricted,
Old 01-10-2018, 7:50 AM

Is it better for my co-registrant to submit their after mine gets approved? I'm thinking if I get kickbacks, better to get it once vs. having them go through the same issues I ran into.
Old 01-10-2018, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
I completed entered 4 guns into my "view cart" but did not check out. A few days later I check into my account and completed the information for a 5th gun which automatically went into my "pending cart". When I attempted to add it to my "view cart" to check out, I got an error message in red. "The owner of the transaction in cart is different from the owner of the pending report"
Has anyone run across this and can it be corrected.
Thanks
I ran into this too. In order to avoid this you must add all of the pending items into your regular cart before you submit any additional weapons. Once everything is back in your regular cart then further new submissions will be added to the same group. There doesn't seem to be any other way to fix this if you already have multiple pending transactions in your cart other than redoing some of the registrations. I had 3 carts for a total of 18 weapons and ended up deleting and redoing 5 submissions to get them all back into the largest of the carts.

There is a brief warning that comes in when you log in and have items in your pending cart, but it's extremely vague.
Old 01-10-2018, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbully View Post
I ran into this too. In order to avoid this you must add all of the pending items into your regular cart before you submit any additional weapons. Once everything is back in your regular cart then further new submissions will be added to the same group. There doesn't seem to be any other way to fix this if you already have multiple pending transactions in your cart other than redoing some of the registrations. I had 3 carts for a total of 18 weapons and ended up deleting and redoing 5 submissions to get them all back into the largest of the carts.

There is a brief warning that comes in when you log in and have items in your pending cart, but it's extremely vague.

I just gave up and paid the extra $15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Have a question not directly related to registration but related to it. And maybe the people that registered in 2000 might be able to weigh in as well.
How/when/who gets to see this data about the RAW we register? Will an HR rep running a background check on a potential candidate see this?
Old 01-10-2018, 1:07 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro.dude View Post
Have a question not directly related to registration but related to it. And maybe the people that registered in 2000 might be able to weigh in as well.
How/when/who gets to see this data about the RAW we register? Will an HR rep running a background check on a potential candidate see this?
Nope. It's not a "public" record, per se. It won't show up on anything that your regular gun purchases wouldn't also be showing up on (and those also don't show up on employment background checks). Generally, only Law Enforcement and DOJ would have access to those records - unless there's a data breach, of course.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-10-2018 at 1:10 PM..
Old 01-10-2018, 3:05 PM

Thanks for the response.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
Just a heads up, in my communication with the DOJ trying to get them to accept my Pistol with my own serial number, this was their last reply to me:

DOJ Response (01/05/2018 09:33 AM): Mr. Stevens, as previously stated, according to the CA Code of Regulations, Title 11, section 5472 (g) "the Department will not register an assault weapon a FMBUS if the firearm does not have a serial number assigned by the Department and applied by the owner or agent." The DOJ will authorize a serial number and you must have the number engraved and application submitted before June 30, 2018. If you have any other discrepancies you may seek legal advice.

Now obviously I have sought legal advice, and I told the DOJ that the law saws otherwise and that Law trumps regulation. But this shows that they seem to expect all registrations to be in and complete prior to July 1st. and will not accept any fixes to applications after June 30th
Well crap. I just had my Pistol lower serialized with my own number. I read the law and thought the same. Is there no way to not register a pistol?
Old 01-12-2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k6tjs View Post
Well crap. I just had my Pistol lower serialized with my own number. I read the law and thought the same. Is there no way to not register a pistol?

Pistol is not the problem. The issue is that your home built lower needs to be volreg’d at the minimum. To avoid AW registration you can use a fixed mag solution pursuant to the new definition of “fixed” magazine.

Old 01-15-2018, 9:24 PM

I started my registration back in October 2017. I have also corrected incomplete notices and received "processing submission" emails in later December. Since then, there have been no more updates and I have yet to receive anything in the mail. I'm growing more concerned everyday. Has anyone had similar issues or can offer any advice?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 AM

I just received an incomplete notice for my registration. I submitted a Rifle Gear lower receiver mated to a LWRC upper and the DOJ email wants me to change the make to LWRC. Should I resubmit with Rifle Gear as the make or change it to LWRC?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob3rt View Post
I just received an incomplete notice for my registration. I submitted a Rifle Gear lower receiver mated to a LWRC upper and the DOJ email wants me to change the make to LWRC. Should I resubmit with Rifle Gear as the make or change it to LWRC?
You should submit with whatever the LOWER RECEIVER says, since that's the part the carries the serial number. How does DOJ know what your upper is?
Old 01-16-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
You should submit with whatever the LOWER RECEIVER says, since that's the part the carries the serial number. How does DOJ know what your upper is?
Yeah my original submission is correct so I don't know if I should just resubmit and hope someone else reviews it or if I should add it in the comments section. The DOJ got the LWRC logo from the picture I had to submit.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah my original submission is correct so I don't know if I should just resubmit and hope someone else reviews it or if I should add it in the comments section. The DOJ got the LWRC logo from the picture I had to submit.
Add to the notes that the LOWER has the manufacturer/model/SN info and that's the manufacturer of the firearm.

I'm past being shocked at the complete inconsistency between clerks processing the applications.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Wow, they are idiots. So they just pick out whatever logo they find on the gun and that becomes the make? Lol so I guess my gun may be a bushnell because I have a cheap red dot on it.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm past being shocked at the complete inconsistency between clerks processing the applications.
No kidding right. Poor process, poor training, low bid workers.
And they want to raise the minimum wage in this state for fast food workers that cannot even put the French Fries into the bag right side up. I am sure it is the same people registering our AWs behind the scenes. And I do not mean to offend those who take pride in their work in our food services industry. The others, well you know who you are.
Old 01-16-2018, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfreshdope View Post
I have a similar situation. The one rifle that is stamped Caliber Multi is "in process", the two that have no caliber noted on the lower got marked "incomplete" with the request to photograph the barrel and alter the caliber entry to match.
Old 01-17-2018, 2:57 AM

Default "In Progress" but no "Submission Confirmation Notice" email

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubi View Post
my card was charged, they all say "in progress," but I never got any confirmation emails at all. Do I need to call them to check or something?
Similar situation but joint registration...

Primary registrant submitted a registration, got a credit card receipt email, got an "Incomplete Notice" email, resubmitted the registration, and got a "Submission Confirmation Notice" email. All within 24 hours. The status online shows "In Progress."

Joint registrant then submitted a registration. Got a credit card receipt email only. The status online shows "In Progress" but no "Submission Confirmation Notice" email was ever received.

What should they do?

Last edited by blahblah; 01-17-2018 at 3:03 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 3:02 AM

Default Date Acquired for joint registrant?

So, we all know that "Date acquired" should be the date DROS was submitted.

But, what the heck should the joint registrant put for the date acquired? Obviously, there is no applicable DROS. Should they put the same date as the primary registrant, even thought that isn't possible? Are they just supposed to choose some arbitrary date after the DROS? And what potential legal implications could there be for what you date you submit?

Could anyone with a successful joint registration share their experience here?
Old 01-17-2018, 8:49 AM

They are trying to make it so an LEO can identify the firearm. However it is registered should be easy to identify in the field.
If a LEO is tasked with determining if it is legal or not he needs to be able to do so. Same for an investigator for when a firearm is involved in a crime.

And hence the identifying marks, maker, photos, all that jazz - it's for identifying it later.
Old 01-17-2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
So, we all know that "Date acquired" should be the date DROS was submitted.

But, what the heck should the joint registrant put for the date acquired? Obviously, there is no applicable DROS. Should they put the same date as the primary registrant, even thought that isn't possible? Are they just supposed to choose some arbitrary date after the DROS? And what potential legal implications could there be for what you date you submit?

Could anyone with a successful joint registration share their experience here?
I have the same concerns. I read that others have used their marriage date as date acquired. That's what I'm going to use. Though it would seem to work only if you acquired your firearms prior to wedding. BUT what about the "acquired from" field? My wife didn't acquire it from the dealer, she acquired it from me. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-17-2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsupsam View Post
I have the same concerns. I read that others have used their marriage date as date acquired. That's what I'm going to use. Though it would seem to work only if you acquired your firearms prior to wedding. BUT what about the "acquired from" field? My wife didn't acquire it from the dealer, she acquired it from me. Thanks for reading.
Um .... why would you not just provide the same acquired date/from as what you filled out for yourself?
Old 01-18-2018, 7:38 AM

Default my 2 cents worth...

The sheer idiocy going on in Calif is incredible... Declaring a pre-WW1 bolt action rifle illegal is insane... A Mauser 8mm with the only new part being a thumbhole stock as the old one was falling apart...has a detachable 20 round magazine... According to the flowchart, it is illegal in California... Photo is not of the rifle in question,but representative of what it looks like without the mag attached.... Glad I moved when I had the chance... Good luck with gun registration....I foresee a lot of guns falling overboard on fishing trips when, not if, the state comes for your guns....and a lot of guns being confiscated because you thought "it'll never happen"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbhole mauser.jpg (34.9 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by ulmapache; 01-18-2018 at 7:42 AM..
Old 01-18-2018, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmapache View Post
The sheer idiocy going on in Calif is incredible... Declaring a pre-WW1 bolt action rifle illegal is insane... A Mauser 8mm with the only new part being a thumbhole stock as the old one was falling apart...has a detachable 20 round magazine... According to the flowchart, it is illegal in California... Photo is not of the rifle in question,but representative of what it looks like without the mag attached.... Glad I moved when I had the chance... Good luck with gun registration....I foresee a lot of guns falling overboard on fishing trips when, not if, the state comes for your guns....and a lot of guns being confiscated because you thought "it'll never happen"...
Oh? Your 8mm Mauser bolty is now a semi-auto? Nice! [You may want to read that flow chart again ... carefully this time]
Old 01-18-2018, 11:34 AM

Hahaha.... So, do you really think they would overlook the 20 round magazine?...Go with a 10 round mag? Which is not available? But seriously, I called DOJ to see just what they would say about a 20 round mag that was over 100 years old..."it's illegal"....Didn't bother asking about the thumbhole... Think I'll look for a repro stock to keep the old trench gun looking original...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trench mauser.jpg (46.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Hahaha.... So, do you really think they would overlook the 20 round magazine?...Go with a 10 round mag? Which is not available? But seriously, I called DOJ to see just what they would say about a 20 round mag that was over 100 years old..."it's illegal"....Didn't bother asking about the thumbhole... Think I'll look for a repro stock to keep the old trench gun looking original...
What's illegal about it?

EDIT: I'm trying to decide if you're a troll, or just having trouble reading.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
All of my registration submissions I sent had photos with 20 or 30 round magazines bodies attached. I just stated in the comments that the magazine of each was permanently blocked to 10 rounds.

There's nothing illegal in that photo if the mag is blocked to 10 rounds. Regardless, bolt guns do not have any other feature restrictions and do not need to be registered, magazine or not.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbully View Post
There's nothing illegal in that photo if the mag is blocked to 10 rounds. Regardless, bolt guns do not have any other feature restrictions and do not need to be registered, magazine or not.
There's nothing illegal period; it's not a semi-auto rifle so size of magazine doesn't matter.
Old 01-18-2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
There's nothing illegal period; it's not a semi-auto rifle so size of magazine doesn't matter.
Assuming the mag ban injunction holds.