Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-06-2018, 5:46 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quick question; I tried searching but couldn't find an answer.

The OCSD website states that the applicant's driver's license must reflect the current address. Mine does not, because California refuses to issue a new DL when you file a change of address. Has anyone had a problem with this?
Old 01-06-2018, 8:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post

The OCSD website states that the applicant's driver's license must reflect the current address. Mine does not, because California refuses to issue a new DL when you file a change of address. Has anyone had a problem with this?
Interesting question. Not sure.
Old 01-07-2018, 7:54 AM

Quote:

You have to pay DMV for a "NEW" license . I think it costs around $35. That's what I did. It's just paperwork and a payment. No testing required.
Old 01-07-2018, 8:47 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman1 View Post
You have to pay DMV for a "NEW" license . I think it costs around $35. That's what I did. It's just paperwork and a payment. No testing required.
Interesting. I remember when I first got issued the new-style license back in 2010ish, it took about two months for the new license to actually arrive in the mail. My interview with OCSD is in just a few days. So... we'll see how it goes, and I'll report back, I guess.
Old 01-07-2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:

I did a change of address but my license has my old address and they gave that little paper card you fill out with your new address. i submitted both of these and i didn't have any problems.
Old 01-08-2018, 6:03 AM

Quote:

Not in OC but I know other Counties are fine with the old license as long as the DMV records reflect the CORRECT address.
You might run that by someone at OCSD.
Old 01-08-2018, 6:34 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
Not in OC but I know other Counties are fine with the old license as long as the DMV records reflect the CORRECT address.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-11-2018, 6:49 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
For the record, I completed my interview with OCSD; the investigator did ask me why I had the old address but he was OK with my answer once he was able to verify my DMV record (which he already had open in front of him). So it sounds like OCSD follows this protocol as well.
Old 01-11-2018, 8:30 PM

By this time tomorrow, I will have picked up my permit... 81 days from appointment to issue. My timeline:

8/29 Appointment Request
8/30 Initial Appointment set for 11/16
9/19 Livescan done
10/16 New appointment set for 10/24
10/24 Initial Interview
10/29 Package submitted for Sgt. Review
12/22 Conditional Approval
1/7/19 Training completed / Certification sent to OCSD
1/8/19 Pickup Appointment email received.
1/12/19 License Pickup
Old 01-12-2018, 7:36 AM

Sure a LOT faster than the 6-12 months wait there was at one time...
Old 01-12-2018, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Sure a LOT faster than the 6-12 months wait there was at one time...
I was told this morning that once the online system is perfected there will be no need to schedule any appointments; even the issuance of license will be done on a 'walk in' basis.

Gotta hand it to them, the entire process was smooth.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:29 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
By this time tomorrow, I will have picked up my permit... 81 days from appointment to issue. My timeline:

8/29 Appointment Request
8/30 Initial Appointment set for 11/16
9/19 Livescan done
10/16 New appointment set for 10/24
10/24 Initial Interview
10/29 Package submitted for Sgt. Review
12/22 Conditional Approval
1/7/19 Training completed / Certification sent to OCSD
1/8/19 Pickup Appointment email received.
1/12/19 License Pickup
It seems the common thread in all these "fast timeline" posts is getting your livescan done BEFORE the interview. That seems to be what is taking the most time. New applicants may want to take note.
Old 01-14-2018, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was told this morning that once the online system is perfected there will be no need to schedule any appointments; even the issuance of license will be done on a 'walk in' basis.
Even initial CCWs, not just renewals? Drop in to do interviews? Drop in to pick up licenses?

Quote:
Gotta hand it to them, the entire process was smooth.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 01-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Even initial CCWs, not just renewals? Drop in to do interviews? Drop in to pick up licenses?

That's how I understood it. The entire process will be 100% online, and when you receive your "approval" email, you'll swing by any time the office is open and get your card.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default GET YOUR APPOINTMENT TODAY _ OPENINGS WAITING FOR YOU

GET YOUR APPOINTMENT TODAY _ OPENINGS WAITING FOR YOU

All,

There was a great meeting this past Tuesday at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office for all CCW instructors of record for the county. A great deal of information was given out by Sgt. Duda about the process and where they are right now.

MAJOR time reductions to the process due to changes by the entire staff and at the direction of Under Sheriff Barnes. No home/neighbor visits (unless necessary), No restriction on the number of firearms on your permit, and serious reduction on shots required to qual. Primary firearm (first on the list) is still 72 at 3/5/7 yards while each subsequent firearm is 10 at 5 & 7 yards. Great things happening there!!!

ONE BIG improvement is that with the new online system you can actually get an earlier appointment than what the system first gives you. AFTER you register and you have ALL your stuff together and ready to go, you can check the system in “Order Tracker” and see an earlier appointment than what you have, you can change to it.

Literally, right now if you have all your goodies together you could get an appointment tomorrow – there are openings for whatever reason. They could have you sitting there completing all the steps and you could walk out the door with your CCW in your hot little hand.

Gregg

NRA Supporter & Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 01-18-2018, 2:25 PM

^^ confirming....
My SIL is a qualified trainer for them - SafeInsight.net

Eventually all applications will be done electronically, and you'll just stop in and pick up your permit, no appointment - like a drivers license.
Old 01-18-2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontargetrange View Post
GET YOUR APPOINTMENT TODAY _ OPENINGS WAITING FOR YOU

All,

There was a great meeting this past Tuesday at the Orange County Sheriff’s Office for all CCW instructors of record for the county. A great deal of information was given out by Sgt. Duda about the process and where they are right now.

MAJOR time reductions to the process due to changes by the entire staff and at the direction of Under Sheriff Barnes. No home/neighbor visits (unless necessary), No restriction on the number of firearms on your permit, and serious reduction on shots required to qual. Primary firearm (first on the list) is still 72 at 3/5/7 yards while each subsequent firearm is 10 at 5 & 7 yards. Great things happening there!!!

ONE BIG improvement is that with the new online system you can actually get an earlier appointment than what the system first gives you. AFTER you register and you have ALL your stuff together and ready to go, you can check the system in “Order Tracker” and see an earlier appointment than what you have, you can change to it.

Literally, right now if you have all your goodies together you could get an appointment tomorrow – there are openings for whatever reason. They could have you sitting there completing all the steps and you could walk out the door with your CCW in your hot little hand.
Posted this over on the CalCCW facebook page. WOW Julie came unglued and called you a liar. Deleted it before I got nastier with them......
Old 01-19-2018, 7:20 AM

There is an automated system to check the status of Live Scans: (916) 227-4557

It has been 30 days since I submitted my Live Scan and its still "Processing" for both DOJ and FBI. Its the last piece I'm waiting on...
Old 01-19-2018, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Posted this over on the CalCCW facebook page. WOW Julie came unglued and called you a liar. Deleted it before I got nastier with them......
If Greg Block didn't say it, it didn't happen. lol.
Old 01-19-2018, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacuzzi View Post
There is an automated system to check the status of Live Scans: (916) 227-4557

It has been 30 days since I submitted my Live Scan and its still "Processing" for both DOJ and FBI. Its the last piece I'm waiting on...
After you get cleared, the phone system will still carry "Processing" as status. It hasn't been current for at least a year.
Old 01-19-2018, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
If Greg Block didn't say it, it didn't happen. lol.
True!
Old 01-19-2018, 9:48 AM

FAQ on OCSD CCW:
http://www.safeinsight.net/oc-ccw-faqs.html
Old 01-19-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
After you get cleared, the phone system will still carry "Processing" as status. It hasn't been current for at least a year.
That is correct, mine still said "Processing" when I went in for my interview over a month after my Live Scan and at my interview I was told that the results had already come in some time ago.

Last edited by Gavelams; 01-20-2018 at 7:48 AM..
Old 01-24-2018, 1:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Has anybody put a large number of weapons on their license? I'm wondering how they are going to list them, multiple cards?
Old 01-24-2018, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Now that is interesting. It has been showing my scan as "in progress" for quite a while. How long should I wait before asking the CCW-Unit to look at what is going on with it? Is ther any difference between "in progress" and "processing"? At one the online check would show a finished application to be "complete". I am not certain, but believe when I started checking the status it showed that a CA and FBI check was "in progress" and when I later checked it listed those two entries along with "Firearms In Progress".

Last edited by Chewy65; 01-24-2018 at 1:50 PM..
Old 01-24-2018, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Now that is interesting. It has been showing my scan as "in progress" for quite a while. How long should I wait before asking the CCW-Unit to look at what is going on with it? Is ther any difference between "in progress" and "processing"? At one the online check would show a finished application to be "complete". I am not certain, but believe when I started checking the status it showed that a CA and FBI check was "in progress" and when I later checked it listed those two entries along with "Firearms In Progress".
Chewy, we were discussing the DOJ phone line for LiveScan process (916) 227-4557). Since it doesn't deal with firearms in progress, I think you are talking about the OCSD system?
Old 01-25-2018, 7:09 AM

Quote:
In the past the 'firearms' check at DOJ was the hold up, what was delaying live scans. AFAIK they have also gotten caught up on that process. So if you have an application in process with OCSD and it's been a couple of months I would surely just give them a call for status. They're receptive and happy to check on it for you. If there's a hold up they'll tell you, or may prompt them to check further as well. Stuff has been known to get set aside and delayed. It doesn't hurt to follow up. Email or call - they're there to help.
Old 01-25-2018, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Chewy, we were discussing the DOJ phone line for LiveScan process (916) 227-4557). Since it doesn't deal with firearms in progress, I think you are talking about the OCSD system?
This isn't an OCSD but a CALDOJ system called "Applicant Background Check Status". If anyone else would like to use it, it is much quicker to check than the telephonic system. https://applicantstatus.doj.ca.gov/

Thanks Browneye. One thing I notice is the level of service that OCSD requests is DOJ and FBI. They used to request DOJ, FBI, and Firearms until about a year ago. That may explain why nothing was displayed regarding Firearms, when I first checked the status of my scan.

Last edited by Chewy65; 01-25-2018 at 9:38 AM..
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
This isn't an OCSD but a CALDOJ system called "Applicant Background Check Status". If anyone else would like to use it, it is much quicker to check than the telephonic system. https://applicantstatus.doj.ca.gov/
Wow, looks like mine was completed in 2 days. Guess the hold up is on the OCSD side.
Old 01-25-2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks Browneye. One thing I notice is the level of service that OCSD requests is DOJ and FBI. They used to request DOJ, FBI, and Firearms until about a year ago. That may explain why nothing was displayed regarding Firearms, when I first checked the status of my scan.
Yep, could very well be. Evidently there was some clerk in some government office somewhere tasked with looking up firearm registrations. When the onslaught of applications happened the waiting period for that look up was taking up to six months.

Now with unlimited firearms on your permit my assumption is they've done away with that. Or they have a different way of looking them up.

When my daughter was clerking at King Co courts in Seattle she was telling me DROS gave them a window of time to find a reason to turn down a firearm application. If they didn't find anything or couldn't do it in time - the 10 days - then it just went through. I can't say exactly how CA works, but my guess is it's similar if not the same.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

What burns me is that the DOJ can't complete the firearms check because it is impossible to locate a certain ancient court record, a record of which I have an original carbon copy which was uploaded to OCSD as part of my application for a CCW. I think I had the same trouble when my last DROS ended up being place on an undetermined status by the same DOJ.
Old 01-26-2018, 1:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
Has anybody put a large number of weapons on their license? I'm wondering how they are going to list them, multiple cards?
Anybody?
Old 01-27-2018, 9:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Anybody?

It’s been addressed a few different time. The first five go on your card. The remaining will go on the DOJ style paper permit which you’ll be given. You’ll need to carry the paper permit (as well as the card) when carrying a gun not listed on the card.
Old 01-27-2018, 6:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks. I admire the work you do to keep this thread informative. Has there ever been another Calguns thread this long running?
Old 01-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I admire the work you do to keep this thread informative. Has there ever been another Calguns thread this long running?
The San Bernardino County section has 5200+ posts compared to OC with 2350+.
Old 01-28-2018, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavelams View Post
That is correct, mine still said "Processing" when I went in for my interview over a month after my Live Scan and at my interview I was told that the results had already come in some time ago.
I just saw this and guess I will contact the CCW unit. I noticed what may be a significant change just now when checking my online application page with permitium. Whenever I looked it never listed all the documents that had been uploaded. It now lists numerous documents attached to the file. I can't what the most recently dated one is, but I suppose it may be some kind of response from the DOJ. The entry is several weeks old and would fit with what I believe to be regular reporting times for live scan results.

Last edited by Chewy65; 01-28-2018 at 2:06 PM..
Old 01-31-2018, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

FYI, the DOJ's online Applicant Status Check shows my live scan in progress while facts are that OCSD has received the results and my application is waiting review.
Old 01-31-2018, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
FYI, the DOJ's online Applicant Status Check shows my live scan in progress while facts are that OCSD has received the results and my application is waiting review.
And, when it's approved, the DOJ online status will continue to be in progress.

Extra points for consistency.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
DOJ's online system isn't worth relying on. Good to hear that OCSD has your results.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
What was the timeframe from your finger print scan to when OCSD received the results?